Oak Jacked Imperial Pumpkin Ale - Uinta Brewing Company

Utah, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  10.31% ABV

Availability: Fall

Aged in oak barrels.

(Beer added by: rudzud on 09-05-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Jacked Imperial Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

For the price I paid, it better have been good. I've got to say, it was really good. It goes down with a smooth creaminess, and that's rare to fine. I really enjoyed that aspect. There's a lot of clove in it, and of course the other normal pumpkin spices.

The appearance is gorgeous. A deep amber orange color with one of the best heads I've experienced.... no, not like that. I think it's where the creaminess comes from. It puffs up a lot at first, and then remains throughout the pint. It's all really great.

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

3.65/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a St. Bernardus goblet. Bottled 7 September 2011.

A: A finger of creamy head and decent lace. Deep ruby-auburn.

S: Spicy pumpkin and lightly tart wine-like scents. Heavy clove.

T/M: It's good. But not great. Light and thin, but the spice takes the place of carbonation in pleasing the mouth. Noticeable oak which I believe contributes to the wineiness. Pumpkin pops up strongly on the end taste. Spice is, at times, a touch heavy.

O: Good pumpkin beer. Mediocre Crooked Line. Would drink again. Tentatively recommended.

17 October 2012 EDIT: Poured from a 750mL bottle into a St. Bernardus goblet. Bottled 24 August 2012.

4.5A: No change.

4S: More strongly spicy (more allspice and nutmeg than clove) and pumpkiny than last's years.

4.5T/4M: MUCH better. Thick, smooth, and creamy. Sweet pumpkin fruit mingles with more tempered spice, but still has a touch of pucker right on the endtaste. I really enjoy it.

4O: Great pumpkin beer. From what I can tell, definitely one to drink fresh. From this bottle, recommended without reservation.

4.45/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I just had the pleasure of trying this Imperial Pumpkin. I have to say that I am a bit of a pumpkin beer follower. Some are good, some great, some not worth having again.
To me, Pumpkin beer is a great representation of a truly seasonal beer...

I tried this Oak Jacked Pumpkin from a 750 corked and caged bottle.

Poured in to a large wine style glass, the beer appears a beautiful blend of fall colors.

The smell is exciting if tou are a pumpkin fan, which you should be if you are drinking this beer.

The beer has a taste that surpasses the smell, which in pumpkin beers is rare in my opi ion. I have to say that this Imperial Pumpkin surpasses the hype, and is truly a delicious sipping autumn beer.

Do yourself a favor and give it a try.

4.38/5  rDev +10.6%

A: deep translucent ruby brown body, 2 fingers of ivory head, left ample lace; thin filmy lid persisted

S: nice oaky and pumpkin-y sweet, rich malts and hints of holiday spice

T: well-represented pumpkin ale flavors - pumpkin, clove, coriander; fruity and malty caramel sweet, capped with fainter notes of earth and oak; vegetal flavors weave in and out, adding weight and balance to the sweetness and the oakiness.

M: great body, perfect weight, crisper and cleaner than I expected for an Imperial - I'll chalk it up to the oak barrel-aging; wonderful finish left a nice semi-sweet, semi-savory aftertaste

O: I like Imperial pumpkin ales, and I've had a few - I enjoy the rich, strong, and bold pumpkin and spice, and i appreciate the addition of other flavors, like those imparted by the oak barrel-aging, so I happen to have really enjoyed this beer. It is more complex than a Pumking and not as light/bright-tasting as a Smashed Pumpkin; it reminded me of a lighter version of Heavy Seas' Great'er Pumpkin (which is bourbon barrel-aged, and has a heavier and sweeter, almost over-the-top, flavor). What I'm leading up to is that all of the aforementioned beers are my favorite Imperial pumpkin ales, and this beer gladly fits among them. It may even surpass some of them... Bottom-line: a must have for any fan of the style.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Very fresh, brewed on 9/10/12

A: Pours a deep, clear orange with a huge tan/light brown/orange head (it looks different at the top versus the bottom). Fades slowly, nice island of foam remains. Good lacework scattered over the glass.

S: Pumpkin, bourbon and a bit of pumpkin spice. Nutmeg and cinnamon mainly I think. Just a touch boozy.

T: Wow, a really nice mixture of bourbon and pumpkin spice up front. You've got caramel, brown sugar and toffee at first, then mixing with nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon. Pumpkin itself kicks in in the middle with a bunch of oaky vanilla and more of the aforementioned spices. Finishes a little bitter with a brief wave of some unknown hops. Sweet cinnamon sugar lingers in the aftertaste with hints of pumpkin to boot.

M: Heavy, not overly cloying or thick at least. Just a touch boozy.

O: One of the better, if not the best barrel aged pumpkin ales (though, how many have I really had I guess?). Nice balance of flavors. Pumpkin spices aren't too overpowering and neither is the bourbon. It all just works together pretty well.

3.65/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Love the label, intrigued by the idea of a oaked pumpkin ale. The bottle date I believe was 9/12/12.

Pours a mostly translucent dark red, a beige head tops it off and retains quite well considering the ABV. Sticks around as a patchy cap and leaves good lace.

Smells of pumpkin, spice, brown sugar/baking accessories, some light vanilla, some booze.

This drinks much like a strong ale or barleywine to me. Big on the sweet caramel and butterscotch malts with pumpkin and spices noticeable but taking a backseat. Almost a bourbon element to it from the alcohol heat, a little bit of oak noticeable as well.

Mouthfeel is smooth, lowish carbonation, definitely a bit of an alcohol kick to it but not bad.

Not sure how well the oak barrels were utilized here but it's a cool beer overall - a nice change up from the spices-in-your-face pumpkin ales. Definitely a sipper.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

750ml bottle poured into my Pumking glass. It had a darker ruby like color to it with a thin, frothy head to it. Good retention and nice lacing as I drank it. I love the color.

The aroma has a sweeter, roasted pumpkin flavor to it. The spice is actually a little more reserved compared to most pumpkin beers, which I appreciate. I get a little of the woody oak to it as well. There is some brown sugar to it along with the roasted pumpkin flavor. Nice aroma for the style.

The taste again has a roasted pumpkin with some brown sugar and caramel sweetness to it. It's almost like a candied pumpkin flavor. Again, the spices are pretty reserved in it. The oak is also pretty subtle in the flavor, but it does compliment pretty well.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being a little above average. Overall, I really liked it. I especially liked that it wasn't another over spiced pumpkin beer. It tasted like someone sprinkled brown sugar on a pumpkin and roasted it with some oak wood. Very enjoyable beer overall and I really appreciated that it was different from the other pumpkin beers out there.

Oak Jacked Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Uinta Brewing Company