Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Hop Nosh IPA - Uinta Brewing Company

Hop Nosh IPAHop Nosh IPA

Uinta Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

Beer added by: Beernoisseur on 10-04-2011

Bold and refreshing, this IPA combines an abundance of hops with a smooth malt profile.

Reviews: 564 | Hads: 3,731
Reviews by enoisone:
2.62/5  rDev -34.8%

I just read all the reviews for this beer. I was surprised to see that i only agree with 1.

Poured into a glass it's appearance is nothing special with a disappointing head. Light copper appearance.

The smell gave me some hope at first,but did'nt linger at all.
Some citrus and faint pine.

The taste was probably the most disappointing. Some citrus hops up front,but dissolves pretty quickly on the palate with no lingering finish. Where did all those delicious hops go?

Mouthfeel was minimal, i had high hopes of sticky pine.

Overall, i cant recommend this IPA. I bought my last 6pk. (589 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I can't say that I really appreciated IPAs until I had this beer. I hate tons of pine and bitters. This beer to me was very drinkable. I LOVED the grapefruit taste and while it did have some bitter bite, it was not nearly as bad as some IPAs that I've had. The IBU rating is about a 82. That is high but to me the grapefruit flavor is so powerful it negates the feeling of massive bitterness. This beer is very hoppy for sure but the malts help to balance things.

BUY THE CANS! Don't buy this in bottles. The cans will prevent skunking and will stay fresher for longer.

While this was the first IPA that I liked. Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' was like this beer but a tad bit toned down. A lot less bitters (64 IBU rating). Check that beer out too! (753 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +23.4%

Beautiful light copper / dark orange color. Fantastic hop aroma - balanced and not overwhelmingly bitter, piney, floral, or citrusy. A perfect aroma if there ever was one. Tatse is initially wonderful for hop lovers - more earthy and fruity than piney, then oh-so-slightly bitter towards the end, but more vegetative with citrus and floral undetones. Feel is perfect from my can poured into a slightly chilled pint glass. As close to perfection as I have tasted. (465 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance: Golden, somewhat of a haze. nice lacing on glass
Smell: grapefruit, toasty
Taste: awesome big hop taste up front but very nicely balanced out with only a slight bitter aftertaste
Mouthfeel: medium body
Overall: Love this beer. It is a very solid IPA and i highly recommend it. I have had it in bottles and cans and for some reason the cans seem to taste even better yet (381 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

After having so many IPAs in my day, I often wonder if I'll find one that makes me think, "oh YES!" This one has done that. I'm currently drinking it as I write this, and I'm a happy man.

*It pours dark orange with a nice 1" head and some lacing. I poured mine into a craft-pub glass which I enjoy for American IPAs.
*The smell is fantastic, with a nice hops aroma, balanced with citrus, and a little pine, I think.
*The taste is out of this world. It truly is something to enjoy. The hops are powerful, but like spicy food -- the hops are not the only note and other flavors continually balance the hops. Citrus (I want to say grapefruit and saw that on another review, but I often mess up *which* citrus notes are coming through. It might be a combination of tropical fruits), and malt. I find the balance sublime. The mix of sweet and hops is fantastic, although the aftertaste is fairly bitter -- if you're a hophead, it's wonderful. If you're not, it might be a bit strong.
*It's light to medium bodied.
*Overall: I am really impressed with this. Obviously, the IPA market is crowded, both what is on the shelves and in thousands of breweries, but I will likely look to have this in my fridge on a regular basis. Takes a lot to impress me this much with an IPA, but this is good. (1,289 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First thing, the name seems to have an alias, it is pictured on BA with a label "Hop Notch" but is "Hop Nosh" on the bottles I just purchased! Weird. I spotted this at the local mini-market up the street and got it for $9.99 in a sixer (12oz).

The "best before date" is July 19, so this is apparently very recently bottled. First thing to note is this poured with a massive four finger head that sat up there for several minutes, the lacing is quite good on the glass, and the beer is a pretty one to behold, golden/copper and very clear.

There's some fruity and piny nose that is quite subtle, it's maybe the only dip in my evaluation, as I prefer my beers to make a strong statement in the aroma category.

The malt/hop balance is well done, very drinkable and tasty, just the right amount of carbonation - it makes my mouth happy.

This is a well executed IPA, I will certainly not hesitate to purchase again (soon!). (928 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is an exceptional IPA. Very floral and packs a great bitterness punch. Seems higher than the 82 IBU listed, but in a good way. Wicked good (143 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Bottled on 11/16/11.Poured into a standard pint a clear burnt orange with a tight formed 1/2 finger white head atop that settled into a soapy-like mass.Grapefruit aromas along with a bit of fresh cut grass show nice hop complexity,Amarillo-like sharp hop flavors like grapefruit and aspirin (wich I like),along with ha big shot of green herbalness,a caramel malt base does show thru a little.This a damn fine IPA,I admit Iam a little surprised at how well of a job Uinta did here. (480 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.78/5  rDev -6%

Pours a semi-golden color, light amber - similar to the yellow color on a stoplight. Mildly hazy with some clarity around the edges; an off-white, eggshell colored head tops this one off, receding to a ring within a few minutes leaving back some nice legging. Hop-heavy nose, full of dense pine resins, dank and oily up and down. Light grapefruit and citrus aromas are secondary to the raw hops and pines. Very faint spice and pepper character to the hops, but not heavy at all.

Pine needles are the first thing that come to mind upon taking a sip; heavy pines, lots of resinous and mildly-pungent hops and hop oils. That light peppery flavor comes out a bit, too, showing the nice range of flavors of the hop profile. Sweet grapefruit, very faint pineapple and pear make up the citrus side of things and provide a touch of sweetness on the back-end. Bitterness is the king here, though, as the bitterness is the most prominent portion of the aftertaste. The aftertaste fades fairly quickly, however, and the beer seems slightly watery at times. I feel like this one could've packed such a bigger punch but it fell just short. Still very tasty, just not living up to its possible potential. Medium body, carbonated heavily.

Not a bad IPA, nice level of pine and pepper spiciness. Not sure I'd ever seek this one out again but I'm glad I tried it. (1,348 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap in a 20 oz metal "mug club" mug at Ciro's Tavern in Woonsocket, RI.

Pours a clean, clear straw yellow color. Minimal white head with scattered flecks of lacing. Not the most exciting IPA to look at, but it works. Smell is actually quite malty, with sweet malt essences coming to the forefront. There are hops in there too, to be sure, with floral notes of pine and citrus, but the malt is the most noticeable thing. Not that that's a bad thing!

A mild bouquet of floral hops greets the palate. Classic IPA staples grapefruit and citrus rind come through, as well as some other fruit nuances. It's all pretty subdued though, which is odd. Bready malts round out the taste, providing a subtly sweet finish. Bitterness is very tempered. Not at all what I was expecting. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side, but with a good body to it, providing a slick feel on the tongue.

I much prefer Uinta's Dubhe but as a stright IPA this one is fine. (952 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottled on 6/19/2012

A: A medium amber with an orange hue and excellent clarity. The persistant rocky, white head settles to a thin film but never goes away.

S: Citrusy American hops dominate the aroma at a moderate level with a light alcohol note. The hops have a pleasant grassy character suggesting a decent amount of dry hopping and a light tropical fruit aroma. There is a light malt sweetness with slight caramel notes that ar revealed as it warms. There are also some very low fruit esters, just enough.

T: Hop flavors dominate being mostly citrusy, followed by grassy herbaceous then slight tropical. The strong hops flavors are supported by a moderately-strong hops bitterness and a supportive moderate malt sweetness and a slight caramel flavor. Alcohol is almost as strong as the bitterness and malt but remains soft yet strong, a little more and it would become solventy but it's kept in check.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. There is a medium amount of warmth with this beer along with a slight creaminess. Despite the substantial hop bill this doesn't have any astringency.

O: There is more hops flavor in this beer than almost any beer I've had; it would have been a thing of beauty and wonder if there had been more hops varieties than being so focused on the citrus hops. This is still a solid effort and I will look for other beers from Unita. (1,380 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

4.48/5  rDev +11.4%

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

4.52/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%