Hop Nosh IPA - Uinta Brewing Company

Hop Nosh IPAHop Nosh IPA

Uinta Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

Beer added by: Beernoisseur on 10-04-2011

Bold and refreshing, this IPA combines an abundance of hops with a smooth malt profile.

Reviews: 581 | Hads: 3,812

I can only rate this okay as the quality of this beer has drastically reduced to undrinkable. What was once me almost jacking off to the smell of this beautifully fruitful smell is now seeming like junk beer. I'm not a typical reviewer as you can tell, but I know my beers. I almost think that since the big guys hold most distribution to these small guys that they might have tampered with the product in rebuttal to the law, like keeping their beer in a 140 degree warehouse. Oh well, back to brewing my own alcohol, won't miss this ripoff economy driven beer, or any of them, not one bit.

I also advise any drinker to come back to non consumer society and grow something and make beer out of it. It's easy and pretty much anyone has an extra acre besides people in city paying 1000x more just to be crowded.

Oh and, for 10 dollars a 6 pack this is a super ripoff just like all of these "craft" brews. I'll make a whole barrel for zero. Have fun with your chemical petroleum hops, it's why most beer tastes like shit anymore.

1.99/5  rDev -50.4%

It's fascinating how one's palate can evolve after drinking several varieties of beers, in this case IPA's. I actually had this on tap at Brixx wood fired pizza two years ago. At the time I actually liked it, thought it was awesome. I even got more of it then.

I've moved on to many other different IPA's, and thought I'd revisit this after a couple of years. I hate it now!!!!

What the heck? It doesn't have the citrus notes of a world class IPA, the flavors are off. Bad after taste. Amazing. I got through a quarter of one and did a drain pour with the other 5.

As my palate has developed, I don't like it, and don't know how I ever liked it in the first place.
Everyone's palate changes and develops as they experience more brews, and it certainly has with this, but not in a good way.

2.53/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Hop Notch – IPA (7.2%) - Uinta Brewing Co. (Utah)

App: Pours a rich amber with a nice one and a half finger off cream white head that retains well and leaves high, tight lacing all around the glass. Slightly cloudy, but not against style.

Smell: American piney and resinous hops dominate nose with a slightly sweet, tropical fruit note to them. Hints of passion fruit and grapefruit. Slight hint of overripe banana and cantaloupe. Malt is very faint and slightly biscuit like. Slight solvent, but not overbearing.

Taste: Pretty much falls in line with the aromas in the nose, with some pretty severe alcoholic heat after the swallow. Malt balance is a little off, with not quite enough sweetness to counterbalance the massive hop bill in this one. Hops are good overall, beginning with some pretty strong herbal notes that are taken over by more piney flavors. Eventually overcome entirely by the alcohol heat.

Mouth: A little thin bodied. Carbonation is low, which doesn't compliment the style at all.

Home tasting, 12oz can into Snifter. 1/27/14.

2.58/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Notes: Best by 09/14/14 (consumed 6/27/14). Poured into a nonic pint

A: A clear pale golden color. It produced a 1 1/2 finger head that is made of dense uniform bubbles. As the head recedes it leaves nice lacing.

S: Pine and resin scents are present.

T: First sip - metallic then bitter. After that I am getting a slight lemon zest taste - but only mildly citric.

M: Slight sense of carbonation. There is a bitter drying feel that I am not a fan of.

O: I don't like this one. It is bitter with no sweetness or citrus to balance it out. There was also a weird metallic taste and aftertaste. I would definitely pass on this one in the future.

2.58/5  rDev -35.7%

Light/medium amber color with copper tones; didn't really throw much of a head to look at.

Not much aroma; some resin and rubber.

Pine, resin and rubber hops come right up front; getting right up in your face like a short guy with a chip on his shoulder.

And that's all. Show's over - bye bye! The flavor doesn't pass the front of the mouth - no middle, no finish, no length, no soul, no fun.

With repeated sips one begins to get some kind of bitterness on the finish, but not enough to call it a finish.

Just like that short guy with something to prove, this one doesn't have anything to back itself up.

At least it doesn't have a bad flavor - just very little flavor.

2.62/5  rDev -34.7%

I just read all the reviews for this beer. I was surprised to see that i only agree with 1.

Poured into a glass it's appearance is nothing special with a disappointing head. Light copper appearance.

The smell gave me some hope at first,but did'nt linger at all.
Some citrus and faint pine.

The taste was probably the most disappointing. Some citrus hops up front,but dissolves pretty quickly on the palate with no lingering finish. Where did all those delicious hops go?

Mouthfeel was minimal, i had high hopes of sticky pine.

Overall, i cant recommend this IPA. I bought my last 6pk.

2.71/5  rDev -32.4%

Bottled 3/9/12, poured on 5/9/12 into a D'Achouffe tulip... part of a trade with eclipse54 - thanks, Cliff!

It's a rather clear marigold/goldenrod orange, muted hops but a hidden peanut butter & floral scent brings forward a bit of an iron/metallic taste with the taste. Otherwise it's pretty forward on the malts with a hop bitterness and not much else. Maybe it's because it's a couple of months old, but I'm not that hardcore about getting my ipa's straight off the bottling line. My sense is moreso that it's an ok ipa anyway; a rather straightforward summer thirst quencher. Still, i'm always a fan of trying something new, and Uinta isn't something I regularly get around here as it is.

3.03/5  rDev -24.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (bottled on 9-29-11) into my Deschutes tulip...

A - Pours a clear yellowish-orange color, with a 1/2 finger white head. Nice clumps of lacing as it slowly fades.

S - Smells of earthy, hoppy grapefruit. There's a slight metalic aroma. Faint, but I smell it.

T/M - Hop bitter, but also has a weird off-putting flavor I can't put my finger on. That flavor doesn't last long, and finishes clean. Good carbonation and mouthfeel.

O - A good overall IPA, nothing special. Decent hop flavor, but not as bold as I would prefer. I might give this one a 2nd chance, but if I don't oh well...

3.06/5  rDev -23.7%

Best by 4/12/15.

Hazy pale amber topped by a clingy white cap. Nose is herbal, leafy, citrus rind, touch of grain. Faintly tropical note suggests minimal usage of some new school hop probably mixed with a bunch of oldschool hops. Taste is okay - bitter citrus rind, leafy earthiness, ear wax, grapefruit. Pretty bitter and dry, slight astringent mouthfeel. Clean fermentation. Malt backbone feels somewhat substantial, but it's buried beneath a lot of bitterness. Not a great beer by any means, but nothing particularly bad about it. Can't say I'd want to drink it again.

3.07/5  rDev -23.4%

A: It appears as a dull copper color, that is very hazy. Only shadows are visible through it. The head is white, and forms a soap-like rim around the outside of the glass. There is visible sediment floating in the beer (possibly hops or yeast from bottle carbonation? not sure). Very spotted lacing.

S: It has a candy-like sweetness to its scent...very malty. The hops come through as very earthy, with notable resin character.

T: It has a mellow bitterness, with a lot more hop character coming through after taking a sip rather than while drinking. The hops taste very similar to the scent, very resinous and some pine-like qualities. The malt profile is not as pronounced in the flavor, as it is in the scent.

M: The mouthfeel is very nice. It has just the right bitterness to say "hey I'm an IPA and you need to wake up" and has just the right carbonation to feel alive in the mouth.

O: Overall I thought it was a very nice IPA, but it seemed very one-dimensional. There wasn't much complexity in the hop flavors or smell. The appearance isn't all that great, even if I discount the sediment (because it is likely intentional). I would drink it again, but I wouldn't recommend it compared to the vast ocean of AIPA/IPA/IIPA's available.

3.08/5  rDev -23.2%

Look: who cares
Smell: not much hop
Taste: bitter not as much hop as I expected from the ratings
Feel: appropriate

Overall: I was expecting a bit more

The bottles are awesome will definitely clean and reuse to bottle my own beer

3.08/5  rDev -23.2%

Nice head to it, minimal tracing on the glass as the brew is consumed. Mild hops with an earthy taste. Mild aftertaste with a clean mouthfeel, if you understand what I mean. Must be the quality of the water used. However, personally I prefer a bit more bite with my hops, but this being a regular I find it appropriate.

As I stated with the earthy taste comment, I don't get a citrus feel as with other breweries. As far as a regular IPA goes, try it. Not bad, but in my opinion this beer reaches the level a beer should be but does not exceed it. But being diplomatic, we all have our little nuances and preferences we expect. Cheers. :)

3.09/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.75

Bitter, Bitter IPA. Not a fan of the Bitter aftertaste common in the IPA. However, This has some compliments worth stating in this category. The immediate taste is refreshing, hard to describe, but a grassy finish helps compliments the IPA immediate taste, but the aftertaste is still fairly bitter. I am usually extremely against IPA's but this is probably one I could manage with in this category, be it the pine and grass hint, or strong hops? unsure. Probably would not try again but would recommend if you enjoy IPA's. The best IPA for me but IPA is my least favorite style.

3.13/5  rDev -21.9%

A: amber with a thin film of white head.
S: bready malts and fruit on the nose.
T: flavors are also pretty bready. Caramel maltiness, just a touch of balance from the herbal fruity hops.
M: nice medium mouth and good carbonation.
D: kind of struggling with this one, I'm not impressed. Kind of a bready malt bomb.

3.15/5  rDev -21.4%

$10.99 for a growdog @ ole joe canal's locally...

2 fingers of soapy/craggy head that is in no rush to leave the party, somewhere between golden and orange hues, not much carbonation commuting up to the head but the retention and lacing do not suffer, pretty god looking

herbal and citrus hop, orange peel with sugar on the edges, just clean, crisp and fresh with nothing out of place and nothing in your face, a nice balance

taste etc...
the carbonation is strange, it really needs more bite to up the lip smack factor, right now it is a touch to flat, decent bitterness lingers on the after gulp, you get all the same notes in the mouth as noticed by the nose.. except that the body lacks here without the right level of carbonation. there isn't much to say about this, even my BS can only go so far, this is pretty middle of the road

an average APA with a slight kick in the ABV area, nothing bad here, just nothing worth going bonkers over. if it is your only option at a bar when you want a nice hop bitterness, go for it.

music: minus the bear - infinity overhead

3.18/5  rDev -20.7%

First had: on tap at Capone's, Norristown, PA

Poured a clear golden yellow with a small white head that receded mostly and left a bit of soapy lacing behind. I didn't get too much in the aroma, biscuity malts and a good mix of hops profiles. Not too flavorful either, I must say, light malts, crisp floral hops with some lemony pith coming through. A little bland overall, but that aside, this was definitely an easy drinker, and quite smooth going down. Pretty decent.

3.24/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a light golden orange color. Clear. Small head with minimal retention.

Clear hop smell. Aroma of pine is there, along with grass and pollen, but floral and tropical fruit notes shine through most.

Bitterness is predominant, but annoyingly sweet tropical fruits sweep into the mouthfeel taking over the center of the tongue in an unbalanced way. The aftertaste is heavy sweet, then after a few minutes the expected hop bitterness comes back.

This a pretty standard ipa. Certainly not offensive, but nothing special.

3.26/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a Spiegelau (bottle date best by 5/6/15). I need to get better at picking the freshest IPAs... this might be a little off due to the fact that there are obviously fresher Hop Nosh to be had. Anyways. Really nice looking brew. Solid finger of foamy, eggshell head, slightly cloudy golden amber hue. Ample carbonation throughout. Up front bitterness on the nose, and a slight hint of pine. Kind of one note aroma. Some generic hop bitterness on the front of the tongue, bit of lemony citrus, a slight yeasty estery note (seemed out of place), just a hint of the 7.3% alcohol coming through as well. Refreshing mouthfeel, with a lingering bitterness. Clean, good I guess. Might try an ultra-fresh bottle to reconsider my review, but hard to justify that this is any different from all of the other IPAs out there.

3.26/5  rDev -18.7%

On-tap at Bruery Provisions

The beer pours a clear golden orange with a white head. A really weird aroma. Quite floral with a little bit of grass and pine. Slightly sweet malt aroma, mostly bread. The flavor is moderately sweet without a ton of hop flavor either. It's mostly grass and line with a touch of floral hops and citrus peel. Light to medium bodied with medium carbonation.

3.3/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy, dark golden orange color with tangerine edges and a one finger white foam head that quickly settles into a lasting ring. Spotty lacing left behind.

Resinous hop aroma with a nice balance of earthy and sweet fruit notes countered by a caramel malt backbone. Floral with hints of grass and pine countered by grapefruit, pineapple and orange peel. Malt presence is strong with caramel, toffee and biscuit.

Medium bodied with a complex hop profile that's slightly hindered by a prominent malt backbone. Nice balance of earthy and sweet notes with dry, piny bitterness giving way to tropical and citrus fruit flavor. Hints of grass, soil and pine needle countered by pineapple, grapefruit and orange peel. Underneath, there is a strong malt backbone with hints of caramel, toffee and biscuit. The hop profile is pretty nice but the strong malt presence overpowers it a bit too much for my liking.

3.3/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a 12oz bottle for $1.79 at Olive Tree Market here in OB and poured it into a Odell Brewing tulip glass.

A: Pours a clean honey-like hue with a thin white head that dissipates quickly leaving good amounts of lacing in its tracks.

S: Sweet carmel malt up front, earthy/grassy hop that is faint in the overall mix, some citrus in there as well, sourdough finish - less hop than expected with a name like "hop notch".

T: Basically what the nose suggested - too much malt and too little hop in my opinion - finishing sweet and boozy. Not loving this one at all.

M: Medium-bodied and well carbonated for the style, clean and dry - the booze is a little hot on the back end - hop oils linger for a while though which is nice.

Definitely not loving this one - reminds me too much of an East Coast IPA - too sweet and malty. The hop is oily and in the mix, but just doesn't make its presence known like some of the better IPA's out there - too much sweet malt and crackery/bready yeast.

3.34/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Best before 11/11/2013 - poured from a 12oz bottle into a big water glass.

Brilliantly clear dark orange body with an off white head. Sticky lacing, decent retention.

Aroma is rather subdued; some citrus, orange flowers, and a vague herbal note.

Unfocused smattering of syrupy malt and aggressive but short-lived hop oils. Biscuity and bitter, with a touch of fruit, soap, and earth. Finishes a little sweet for the style.

Almost greasy mouthfeel, though the carbonation is decent and helps-offset the perceived slipperiness.

By no means terrible, but disappointing and overpriced - while I still like this brewery, there is really no place for a sub-par IPA in today's craft beer market.

3.35/5  rDev -16.5%

With a decent selection to choose from I just could not think of a reason to have a second glass and I moved on.

It was well hopped and had a decent citrus note but just lacked balance and finished kind of harsh.

Granted lately I have been drinking Founders Centenial and ball at Point Sculpin so perhaps the bar is set high.

It's not the first time I had a pint of Hop Notch and in general I would rate it about the same.

There simply are better choices in a decent bar.

3.38/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

highest ba rated beer I've tried so far... I want to like it more but there are lower rated ipa's that i would take over this if made to choose. Taste is subjective so don't hate. still it's a really good beer.

3.38/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Orange peel and pine is all on the nose,and undertones of lemon zest.big and bold with a decent malt background. i feel though it was a little boozy tasting and off balance but depends what style ipa you're in the mood for.maybe tomorrow I'll love it

Hop Nosh IPA from Uinta Brewing Company