Hop Nosh IPA - Uinta Brewing Company

Hop Nosh IPAHop Nosh IPA

Uinta Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

Bold and refreshing, this IPA combines an abundance of hops with a smooth malt profile.

(Beer added by: Beernoisseur on 10-04-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Nosh IPA Alström Bros

MLaVioletteJr, Oct 14, 2013

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

jhcfc1, Oct 11, 2013

SerpentX, Oct 11, 2013
3.93/5  rDev -2%

Enjoyed out of a 12 oz brown bottle with a "best before" date of 01/05/14 stamped on the label. Poured into a 6 oz hotel room water glass because I don't have anything else. I suppose I should be glad that I found a decent beer at all, since the beverage cooler in the Rio casino shop was dominated by giant macro beers, with a small corner dedicated to a few Uinta and Stone beers. I must say that I love the label art, with a pair of farmers handling watermelon-sized hop cones to one another out of the back of a wagon wheel cart bed.

Appearance - Pours a brassy copper color that is completely clear, with traces of carbonation bubbles rising up through the liquid to form a one-finger head of microbubbles the color of old parchment. Retention is quite good, and when it finally dissipates, it leaves a smattering of sticky lacing.

Smell - Grapefruit, a symphony of herbal notes dominated by fresh grass and alfalfa, as well as light notes of pine. Hard to detect anything but the bouquet of hops, but that doesn't bother me one bit for the style. Looking forward to diving in.

Taste - Not as citric as the smell, but that grapefruit element is still there. Now, the more dominant flavor profiles are the pine resin, more herbal grassiness and a pleasant bitterness like baby garden greens and dandelions. On the finish, a faint bit of malty sweetness comes through, but make no mistake, the hops are running this show.

Mouthfeel - Body is barely on the light side of medium and the beverage possesses ample carbonation, as seen with the bubbles rising up through the glass. Finish is faintly bitter and mostly dry.

Overall, this is my first foray into the world of Uinta beers, and it seems I've picked a good place to start. This IPA has the punch you in the face hop profile that so many love about the style, but uses hop profiles that prevent this from being a bitter bomb. I've made sure to get my fill of them while in Las Vegas, since alas Uinta doesn't distribute to the Kansas City area.

LambicPentameter, Oct 11, 2013

TxMdScotty298, Oct 11, 2013
3.44/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured half bottle into snifter glass

A- Nice color, dark amber, orange tint, when poured seemed a bit cloudy but did clear up when settled. A nice big billowy off white head that rose to a couple inches and stuck around and seems to cling to the glass nicely with nice big bubbles

S- smell is full of hops, mildly floral, but not too sweet. Maybe a bit vegetal, a little bready with a hint of sweet grapefruit.

T-Not a whole lot going on but grapefruit, grapefruit grapefruit. The hop taste is actually quite nice for my liking. I was never a fan of grapefruits or the juice, but this I can work with. The bitterness is just right for me too. There is just a touch on the tongue, but it's not over the top. A bit one-dimensional, but still pleasant.

M- This is a clean, crisp, refreshing IPA. The mouthfeel seems to be right for the style. It's smooth going down and there isn't a bite from any excessive alcoh-whoah, I just saw that this was 7.3% ABV! I was thinking 5.6-6. I would not have guessed that high. Well, there you have it. This is definitely not a session beer!

O- If I saw this in a bar I would order it, but only if the options were limited. I only purchased one bottle just to try it. I was in the mood for a new IPA. I was not disappointed, but I wasn't blown away. It is a decent offering. Uinta is a nice brewery and I am glad to see their beers in New York now.

mitch3114, Oct 10, 2013

jbexphys, Oct 10, 2013

iwillhaveanother, Oct 09, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -31.4%

huysmans, Oct 09, 2013
3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a darker straw color, very clear, decent head. The smell is a bit skunky and just a touch oniony, it's all hops, and pretty good, but not quite enough of the floral/citrus/fruity side for my tastes. The taste is very good, but same issue for me. Well made, well priced beer that I would drink again, but I wish the hop bill could be tweaked a little.

dougfur, Oct 08, 2013

henrisimo, Oct 08, 2013

hairofthewolf, Oct 07, 2013

Mikeszab, Oct 07, 2013

georgiaboy8686, Oct 07, 2013

jwgkicks, Oct 06, 2013

Masonlamb, Oct 06, 2013
3.93/5  rDev -2%

Poured a finger and half of head on a hazy, dark straw colored body.
The aroma is a nice orange and mandarin smell.
The taste is moderate to strong pine and grapefruit bitterness throughout with a nice orange sweetness balancing it out.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
Quite enjoyable.

Fatehunter, Oct 06, 2013

smccann, Oct 06, 2013

On-tap at the Coffee Table Lounge. On to the beer:

This IPA is lighter orange colored and topped with a little head, though it does whip some rings of lace around. It's a classic West Coast IPA by profile, providing an aroma with grapefruit, pine, and orange, while the taste is pleasantly hoppy with clean pie, sweet grapefruit, citrus, and a decent caramel base. The bitterness is tolerable as well, pleasant and not over the top.

Very good showing by Uinta. It looks like they can do that hop thing too.

DoubleJ, Oct 06, 2013
4.44/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance = nice golden amber with a beautiful full head
Smell = Very nice citrus pine aroma
Taste = Very nice grapefruit - citrus expected from an IPA
Mouth feel = good feel until the expected deadening results
Overall = I really like this IPA from the tap into my growler into my belly
A-