Hop Nosh IPA - Uinta Brewing Company

Hop Nosh IPAHop Nosh IPA

Uinta Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

Beer added by: Beernoisseur on 10-04-2011

Bold and refreshing, this IPA combines an abundance of hops with a smooth malt profile.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Nosh IPA Alström Bros
4.39/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I just had a Hop Czar before this one and I was horribly disappointed with that IPA because it lacked the attributes I expect from an Oregon IPA.

On the other hand, this IPA is quite satisfying.

Appearance - a bit more orange-colored than typical. Certainly attractive with good lacing but to be honest who cares how it looks?

Aroma - Definite pine notes with orange and grapefruit aromas. A little bit of a sweetness to the aroma. Very, very good.

Taste - It has the bitterness we expect from an IPA but it also has the

Mouthfeel - Good carbonation and a smooth drink.

I really enjoy this one and considering it is a very reasonably priced beer in Denver I think this is going to be one of my main IPAs.

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

3.86/5  rDev -4%

12 oz bottle served in a Fat Squirrel pint glass. Bottled on 23 April, 2012 and stored refrigerated most or all of the time since.

Pours a very clear amber with a fairly creamy, eggshell colored head. The head has decent retention and leaves the glass pretty well coated.

A nice fresh hop aroma and flavor, especially given nearly 6 months since bottling. The aftertaste has a nice orange/citrus aspect in addition to the usual grapefruit rind. Aroma gets a bit more earthy with warming.

O: a satisfying, well-crafted, citrusy IPA. Has a higher ABV than usual which is well-hidden in the taste and nose, but mars the mouthfeel.

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Best Before 01/21/13

A: Pours a copper color with a fingers worth of sticky bubbly head

S: Nice and hoppy, with a solid citrus kick and a decent malt backbone. West coast all the way

T: Follows the nose. Very citrusy and refreshing, with a good malt backing and slight estery alcohol. Not too bitter for 82 IBUs

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. A bit rough

O: A nice IPA that stands firmly in the crowded room of IPAs. Nothing special, but worth a try

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

appearance: pretty, yellow-orange. Thick messy off white head and lacing.
smell: Definitely an IPA. Doesn't distinguish itself though pleasant enough. Piney, citrus and floral hops with a slight malty sweetness.
taste: The flavor is very similar to the nose but adds a balance and creaminess that does distinguish this from many IPA's.
overall: With all the great IPA's, hard to rise above. This one does a bit though doesn't hit elite.

4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

This is my first review, so helpful suggestions are appreciated :)

A: It pours a copper/amber color. Three fingers (I'm pretty sure I poured it wrong) of off-white head with excellent retention. Lacing sticks all the way down the glass. By the time it's empty, there's still a finger of foam left at the bottom! Mild carbonation. Crystal clear.

S: Holy hops! Dank, grassy, piney, citrusy hops! I think I can detect a sweet aroma from the malt, but I'm not very good at sensing malt aroma yet. No idea what yeast smells like, so I can't say there.

T: The first thing I notice is a sweet, caramelly (possibly roasty or toasty - not sure what this would taste like) flavor from the (I assume) malt. Next, a warm alcohol sensation all down the throat and into my belly. Right after that (or perhaps simultaneously), a full on assault of hops! Dank, grassy, piney, and citrusy flavors. Finally, a lasting bitterness. I can still taste it ten minutes after it's gone. I can't stop smiling.

M: As mentioned above, this beer is mildly carbonated. Not too fizzy, not flat. It's just right. This is definitely my least confident area, but I believe it's light-bodied, like an IPA should be. It's not thick at all. CAUTION: Leaving this beer on the palate for longer than a few seconds could scar you for life!

O: This is one of my favorite beers to date. I had to knock a couple of points off because it's not as perfect as other IPA's I've had (from Stone), but it comes damn close. In particular, it'd be nice if there was more smell/taste from the malt/alcohol. I can only hope Uinta makes a special bomber edition at some point in the near future.

Hop Nosh IPA from Uinta Brewing Company