1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

HooDoo Kölsch Style Ale - Uinta Brewing Company

HooDoo Kölsch Style AleHooDoo Kölsch Style Ale

Uinta Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

Kölsch |  4.00% ABV

This crisp kolsch-style ale is golden in color and exhibits refreshing hop character.

(Beer added by: Wasatch on 10-23-2011)
1.83/5  rDev -46.6%

A - Poured with very little head. Dissipated quickly to a very light cap and left very little lacing. Color is a very clear slightly golden yellow. High levels of carbonation are visible.

S - Very sweet smell is overpowering at first, but as you get into it, there is a cereal adjunct smell, and then a slightly boozy smell, surprising for a 4% ABV.

T - Fruits and adjuncts, taste like a cheap macro adjunct lager with tart pear juice mixed in. Not impressed at all. No quality malt or hops notes to speak of.

M - Club soda?

O - Not impressed with this one, and although I've never been blown away by a beer from Uinta, this one is not up to par. Maybe I got a bad batch or something, but it is enough to scare me away from buying this one again. Glad it was part of a make your own 6 and I only have one bottle of it. Not up to the quality of other Kolsch style beers I've had.
You may say I'm being to hard on this one, and it isn't horrible, but it taste like something I would drink while grilling or tailgating, and given a choice I would rather have a cheap, American light beer than this.

cottonkoozie, May 18, 2014

Bigben0328, Jun 23, 2013
2.05/5  rDev -40.2%

Had this on tap at Grape and Grain in San Mateo, CA.

The only thing I can say about this beer is DME. Dried Malt Extract. There is an overwhelming smell of malt/malt extract wafting from this beer. At first I thought it was just a bready character, but then as the beer warmed it it really showed its true colors. It literally smelled like hot wort during the boil when I used to make partial mash beer on my stove.

I'm not sure if the beer is extract brewed or not, but I can't get that taste or smell out of my head. Not the worst beer I've had, but I will not be reaching for this one again.

jtmartino, Jun 08, 2012

ejohnson654, Sep 14, 2013

heatherzbeer, May 15, 2014

Zachior, Apr 28, 2014

sillyhed8, Apr 14, 2014

Runadamrun21, Jun 25, 2014
2.6/5  rDev -24.2%

A- A beautiful gold color, brilliant clarity, with a lingering lace and subtle head that lingered to the end.
A- Very muted aroma. No noticeable hop or malt aroma. The esters typically associated with the style are missing.
T- Taste is subtle grass with a slight bitterness that borders on astringent. The bitterness is firm for the style, but lacks any hop flavor or aroma.
M- Carbon level was acceptable/appropriate, and the mouthfeel was dry and crisp.
O- Disappointing. Kolsch is my style, but every time I try a new American interpretation I'm left wondering if any of them have ever had a traditional example from Koln. Cant recall the last good one I had! Colorado Kolsch is the last one that came close

rastamendi, Feb 21, 2012
2.73/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into an Olde Hickory glass on 9/19/12

Bottled on 06/11/12

Sun-faded golden yellow color. Rather clear. Pours a one thumb cap of fluffy white foam. Thin retention with some scattered lace.

The aroma finds notes of toasted grains, grass and floral hops, buttered bread, biscuit dust and a hint of dough. Fairly clean overall and tilted in favor of the grains. The taste is similar in terms of grain, though the hops are dulled and have something of a metallic twinge on the finish. Perhaps it because it's three months old. The feel is light and somewhat thin, staring off smooth with soft, rolling carbonation moving in mid-body.

Not a bad little beer, but the aroma is the high point. If I ever come across a fresher bottle, I'll revisit.

Ryan011235, Oct 13, 2012

jfcaa193, Aug 02, 2012

ortie, Jul 22, 2013

charlesjwinkler, May 30, 2014
2.81/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Center poured into a pilsner glass from a 12 oz. bottle. Best before date of 5-22-13.

Very clear straw/golden color with a bubbly, foamy head.

The aroma is mostly earthy, kind of musty? There's a bit of grass and a little caramel/light toffee scent. Not bad but kind of odd...

The taste is much more what I expect from a kolsch. Grassy and floral with a little lemon. Comes on with some grainy malt sweetness, ends with a nice bitter grassiness. But, those odd toffee and earthy/musty note comes out in the end too, and it comes out more as it warms and becomes distracting. Tastes oxidized, maybe some other kind of off influence.

Nothing particularly wrong with the texture, but it's a bit heavy for a kolsch and could use more carbonation.

I feel like there's a good kolsch to be had here but this particular bottle at least had some off flavors going on. I'll update if I try a better one in the future.

busternuggz, May 01, 2013
2.93/5  rDev -14.6%

Beer #28 in my great Utah Brew Hunt.

This is a kolsch? Really? Way too far into ale territory, in my opinion. Body is quite thick, profile is quite intense, for the style. Too leafy, too earthy, and not filtered enough, I want to say. As a beer, sure it works. But this tastes like generic homebrew to me as opposed to something refined, as a kolsch should be.

RblWthACoz, Sep 19, 2012
2.93/5  rDev -14.6%

Bottle poured into snifter, best by 2/8/13.

A - Pours light gold with a one finger head that dissipates quickly. Leaves some lacing down the glass.

S - Not a lot in the nose. Light malt aroma is the most prevalent. Bread, a hint of herbal and earthy hops, slight spicyness.

T - Same as the smell, not a ton going on here. Slightly sweet malt upfront, bready, finishes slightly sweet.

M - Light body, medium carbonation. Smooth, very easy to drink.

O - I enjoy subtlely flavored beers but this one is a little too subtle for me. Pretty average across the board. Maybe I'll have to revisit it again sometime to see if I missed something.

Profchaos20, Dec 30, 2012

mojohawk21, Jun 25, 2013

Danielr26, Feb 10, 2014

civicm87, Feb 03, 2014

Hacksaw34, Dec 28, 2012

Drinking Hoodoo Golden Ale in Bryce Canyon Campground after hiking through the hoodoos - how cool is that! Like drinking bourbon in Bourbon County or Champagne in Champagne.

Aesthetically pleasing brown compass bottle with a pretty painting of what I believe is “the fist,” one of the more popular hoodoos. Gold color. Smells like what I think of when I think of general beer smell: bread dough and golden malt.

Taste is golden malt with an ample black pepper hop in back for balance. Green apple sweetness. Bit of a ‘tweener in the mouthfeel department. Not as crisp as a kolsch but not as smooth as a golden ale. I guess that’s why it’s a kolsch style golden ale.

donkeyrunner, Sep 16, 2014