Hazel Amber Wheat Ale - Uinta Brewing Company

Uinta Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

American Dark Wheat Ale |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: Wasatch on 12-09-2011

This amber wheat ale has a balanced malt body, hints of coriander, and bright hop character.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 80 | Reviews: 23

3.1/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance- Pours up about a finger's worth of head which has a little retention. The head is a weak cotton white while the body is a dark amber with hints of maroon which appears medium to dark amber in the light. Tiny spots of sporadic lacing.

Nose- This is extremely subtle. A light note of coriander. Some lemon, some spice. A bit of wheat (with a little bit of grain) from the bottle. Swirling reveals a little bit of wheat but even more cereal. This, however, is about as strong as you would find in some AALs. Very minimal fruit esters (lemon and berry).

Taste- Front starts with a little bit of sweetness, a little bit of sour. Lemon and then the coriander really kicks in. Wheat and other grains (under the generic identifier of “cereal”) pervade the flavor profile but don't exactly have a lot of presence. Very weak finish that abandons any notion of flavor that the rest of profile has. The lemon moves into other fruity esters and makes this beer taste a bit like some of the raspberry wheats I've had. Some notes of tea (mostly black, but some green) and rye. The fruity esters are definitely some kind of berry but I don't know which kind. This is by no means a great beer or even a good one but it is much better than I expected based on its rating. However, it is a real failure in the hops department- I don't perceive any and I'm pretty sensitive to bitterness. The website advertises a “bright, hop character” but I get none of this. A beer that was just above average is now below average to average in my critical opinion.

Mouthfeel- Between medium and light bodied with too much zip from the carbonation. Weak and watery finish.

Drinkability- A beer that lacks suitable presence should be fairly easy drinking and this beer is. Price is a little steep for a mediocre beer. 9-10 bucks is not cool for a 4% average beer when I could get something from Lagunitas for the same price. I will not be buying this again.

Overall- The flavor profile has some interesting aspects to it. I, however, do not approve of the brewer's misrepresentation of it. I would give it a try though if you want something low on taste on alcohol but isn't entirely boring.

1.5/5  rDev -54.1%

3.56/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A mini-trade with my colleague, Sam Knocken, netted me this and several other Uinta beers. That works!

From the bottle: "Earth, Wind and Beer Personified by Uinta Brewing Co. Salt Lake City Utah"; "For best flavor enjoy in a glass"; "Brewed with renewable power"; "Amber Wheat Ale".

I saw no reason to hold back and went with an aggro pour, resulting in a dense, foamy finger of light-tan head with good retention. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a strong malty sweetness, slightly bready, slightly biscuity. Mouthfeel was medium with a big, sweet presence on the tongue. Finish remained fairly sweet and I found myself thankful that I only traded for one of these. It is not that there was anything intrinsically wrong with it, nor was it out of spec for the style guidelines as promulgated by this site. Instead, I just prefer something hoppier and when I do not get it, I tend to move on. Caveat emptor!

3.28/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

I think this is one of the few mass produced beers I didn't try while in Utah.

This is a dark wheat? Really? I get no wheat tones off this. It strikes me as much more of an amber than anything else. And a mild one at that. Kind of a boring beer, I have to say. Nothing really going on flavor wise that holds my interest.

3.38/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Uinta Hazel Amber Wheat Ale

Pours a mostly clear copper with a chill haze. Aroma of orange citrus and some spicy notes. In the taste mildly bitter citrus hops and a small earthy dry spice. Mild tangy sweetness but this beer is more than bitter enough to balance out. Medium bodied and very crisp with a small dry spice. Overall this is a nice wheat ale. Well crafted and enjoyable.

2.99/5  rDev -8.6%

12oz : tulip
Best Before: 02/26/13

Pours a clear, red garnet with with a creamy, foamy white head with nice lacing.

Some caramel, biscuit malts. Faint floral hops. Fairly subdued in both aroma and taste.

Medium body, with mild carbonation.

A decent beer, the flavor profile was pleasant, but seemed a bit subdued.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hazel Amber Wheat Ale from Uinta Brewing Company