20th Anniversary Birthday Suit - Uinta Brewing Company

Uinta Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

American Wild Ale |  7.40% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: Wasatch on 05-19-2013)
Reviews by watermelon:
3.3/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle corked and caped poured into a pint glass. Bottled on 03/01/13

A: Opaque orange-brown color upon pour with a tan head that went away quickly. After warming up the color was more of a clear red-amber.

S: Very subtile smell I could only pick up strong sourness and traces of chocolate and bread.

T Very sour grape taste and tart, but in a pleasant way. Stronger chocolate taste then the smell let on, but still very faint. I could also pick up on some darker ripe fruit flavors once this beer warmed up. I wouldn't say that this beer had a strong alcohol presence but you could definitely tell the alcohol was present.

F: Very tart it reminded me of a warhead candy. I found it to be the perfect amount of carbonation and body for the sour taste of the beer. I could still feel the sour on my teeth for quite some time after my last sip. There was also some alcohol warmth which I don't mind. This was a very easy beer to drink.

O: This is the first "sour" I've had and I was very pleased with it. I got this on sale for $6 and while I'm glad I tried it I probably wouldn't buy it again, but would drink again if it was offered to me. The price is fair its just not my preferred style. I would recommend this for someone looking to try something different thats out of their comfort zone. I would have liked to try this closer to its bottle date, perhaps some of the flavors would have been stronger. However if you can still find this one I recommend picking a bottle up.

3.66/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: A deep copper with a red hue and good clarity. The head tan composed of rocky bubbles that fade but after tasting it's not surprising since the high acid can kill head retention.

S: A fairly malty aroma with a moderate amount of barnyard funk. Some chocolate malt aromas and a bit of nuttiness.

T: A strongly tart beer with medium-light fruity notes, like currents and raspberry flavors. The sour is fairly acidic. There is a moderate malt flavor with some sweetness and chocolate but the balance is very sour. The finish is dry and the aftertaste is of chocolate malt and currents.

M: A medium-light bodied beer with a very strong level of carbonation.

O: The sourness lack complexity but it beats you over the head the a strong vinegar-like acidic tartness. The chocolate is an interesting addition but at time distracting. That being said I'd gladly pay a fair price for a few more bottles if I get the chance.

2.25/5  rDev -36.8%

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml caged and corked bottle, bottled on 03/01/13. Served in a tulip, the beer pours a reddish/brown color with about an inch light tan cola-like head that fizzled away quickly. There isn't much of any lacing at all. Aroma is nice but light, The brew smells like tart cherries, toffee, dark bread, and chocolate. I think the taste is more tart in comparison to the aroma. It tastes like tart fruit (cherries, apples, lemon), dark bread, chocolate, and some earthiness. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's well carbonated, and easy enough to drink. I think it's an interesting brew, I liked this more the longer I drank it. $11.99 a bottle.

4.75/5  rDev +33.4%