Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager)Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager)

good

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Munich Helles Lager |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 11-08-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) Alström Bros
Reviews: 578 | Hads: 1,269
3.38/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Light yellow with a white head. A nice colorful beer.

Smell: Hoppy. Makes the nose feel pretty good.

Taste: A nice tasting Lager. Malty, a little bitter (I like bitter). If its not bitter, its not German. They seem to get it right.

Mouthfeel: Very pleasent feel. Makes the mouth feel good but a little much on the carbonation.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, especially on a hot day. Not my first pick to buy but I won't turn one down when offered. I have been to Germany many times and drank alot of beer. Even made the Octoberfest once. I wish I had written down each beer I drank. If I could have held a pen. (633 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Crystal clear pale straw with a beautiful white one finger head. Some light lacing.

S- Rich munich malt with some light pilsner. Fresh baked vienna bread with some spicy hops notes.

T- Rich bread and malt. Spicy hops with very faint citrus.

M- A little warm so a slight carbonic edge. Finish dry but malty. Above average for the style.

D- I love this one. You can roll through these no problem. This is the best style of a munich helles available commercially when fresh.

P.S. Try this in the gallon and a half keg and you get a lot more malt character. It's a little creamier too. Tastes a lot fresher and the setup reminds you of a traditional tap you would see in germany; except more modern. (703 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

A- An atractive clear golden colour, with decent 1 1/2 finger head( 2 if you try for it)

S- A hint of skunk from the first bit of each bottle that seemed to go away pretty fast. Otherwise a decent hop smell.

T- Like a good German beer should taste with a bit more malt than usual which makes it interesting.

M- dry hop finish with a bit of malt.

D- Definitely easy to drink a few of these any time, especially if you enjoy a good crisp beer,

Last note, I would say its best to drink these not too long after you get them, the last one of my pack had skunked before I got to it(a couple of weeks time). besides that its a decent beer. (640 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +5.2%

Quite honest and good münchner beer. Better than most of the german lagers, like Warsteiner, Löwenbräu and Bitburger.
Excellent taste, nice smell, very good appearance and drinkability. Good balance among malt, yeast and hops. It worth a try, for sure. (257 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

Spatenbräu is credited as the originator of the Helles Lager style, and 110-odd years down the line, things are pretty much what you might expect.

This beer pretty much exactly fits the guidelines of a standard light lager, and, as such, is mildly malty, barely hoppy, and straw-colored. It is a good beer. Good, not great. The highly industrialized origin of the ingredients is apparent in the flavor, but this beats the hell out of anything you're going to find from a large brewery in the U.S., so there you go.

This beer is purely average, but by European standards, that still means good. (596 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +31.9%

Spaten, the spade, is one of my top 5 beers in the world. It has a nice golden color, perfect aromoa to it, and by far the best taste.
It goes well with any food, which is a plus, and you can drink it year round. It will take the chill away in the winter and cool you down in the summer. Try it and you will be hooked. (319 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +3.8%

One of the regulars on my line up. Spaten Premium is great from the bottle or from the sweet mini keg, what ever you can find it in it's worth sharing.

Appearance- Great example of a Helles Lager, very light in color, darker then a pilsner but not by much, pours a quick settling head with light character and has constant bubble movement.

Smell- pretty basic as far as what I consider a light beer, majority of the aroma is malt, I can't really pick up any hoppyness but it's a light lager not an IPA.

Taste- The taste is great for the quick pick beer, if you don't want a dubbel or a stout or any heavy malt or an offending arrogant bastard IPA this is the great beer of balance. Very simple taste, subtle malt, light yeast, almost no bitterness, nice balance.

Mouthfeel- Very smooth, same consistency as water, light and no where near offensive.

Drinkability- This rates perfect as far as drinkability goes, its so basic it can't go wrong. Nothing offensive and no problem drinking this all night. I have no problem welcoming this guy into my house once a month for a safe bet berr.

I am a very strong supporter of all Spaten works. They make great beer and this is their way of a balanced smooth light beer. The Premium evens out their line up as far as intensity goes, holding the reins of the Optimator. Safe bet as you'll ever get, the way to go for a great simple beer, that doesn't taste like a macro corn brew from the cheap bud and coors. (1,468 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -7.1%

A--Clear BMC yellow, small white head leaving very little lacing

S--Mild grain, grassy, hint of hops, slightly skunky probably from green bottle

T--Grainy and grassy. Hops came on the back end and gave a slightly bitter aftertaste.

M--Medium to thin body with a little carbonation. dry, mostly clean finish

D--Nothing is wrong with this beer--except maybe the green bottle. It just doesn't have anything special to differentiate itself from others in this style (465 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured on tap from one of Portland's great places to find German Bier, Gustav's. Served in a tradional spaten logo bier stein. Bright white head that last most of the stein. Light yellow in color. Medium to light bodied. Well balanced hop flavor. Typical lager scents on the nose. Full rounded body and superb balance between hops and a malty sweetness. A great munich Helles. (376 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +16.3%

I picked up a six pack of this classic German beer on a beer run today, I've been looking for it for awhile but its not sold at any of the area grocery stores I frequent. On opening and pouring into my trusty Schlafly Pale Ale pint glass I got the classic German lager smell. Color is a nice straw yellow, with a small head that dissipates somewhat quickly leaving a ring with some lacing that lasted. Taste was hoppy bite up front, a little bitter but very pleasant. This beer is very crisp, dry, and cleanses the palate. Very refreshing. Overall this is one of the best German Lager's I've had and I can see drinking a lot more of this now that I know where to get it. My old standby for this type of beer was Becks, but this is a better beer. Time to work on the rest of that six pack... (790 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +27.5%

I love this stuff! If you take a swig and hold it in your mouth you can clearly taste all the components...sweet and 'biscuity' malt, flavorful hops and pure, refreshing Alpine water.

German brewers really know what they're doing. They've managed to assemble a pretty big beer...about 2 ABV percentage points higher than products from our large brewers...and keep it flavorful and refreshing.

No one single ingredient has to overpower the others to let you know it's there. The brewers present them all to us equally and you get the sense that they've worked hard to make sure it comes out that way. When properly poured into a clean glass you get a fluffy, lasting head crowning the rich golden liquid that holds just the right amount of gassiness. Well done Spaten! (769 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance was a nice gold color. Smell was rather weak, which I was not expecting from this import, but the taste was much better. Very smooth beer to drink. Overall, very enjoyable beer. Not sure about the price as it was given to me at a family gathering, but a very good German beer. (287 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Clear golden straw. Decent head that doesn't last very long.

S: Bready sweet smell with some grassy hops.

T: Sweet and malty but fairly dry finish. Very clean.

M: Good carbonation. Very refreshing.

O: Pretty solid beer. Not the best in the world but you could derfinately do worse for a helles. (301 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On-tap at Flying Saucer, Raleigh, NC.

Served in a half liter Malles Munich Mug and had a bright golden color. It started out a little grainy, but the hops were evident towards the end. The mouthfeel was smooth for this light-bodied beer and it went down pretty easy. Smoothness leads to a great drinkability for this beer (324 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -14.4%

My friend brought back a 1 gallon "party keg" of this on his return from Nashville for the Christmas break. We had several beers to sample that night, so the keg remained unfinished and sadly lost its carbonation by the following day.

On original pouring into an oversize wine glass, the carbonation from the keg was high, and created a generous and pillowy head.
Colour was a soft honey, which immediately reminded me of my favourite dessert wine, the Briar Ridge botrytis semillon. Now if only they taste similar... ô¿ô

Little bitterness to speak of, felt only in the finish. Malt is subtle, but pleasing... but I found this beer, rather boring and typical of its type.

Mouthfeel was rather nice however. While somewhat thin, it was very smooth and mellow. A definite easy session drink. But overall, an average beer. (832 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Now this is a brew!

Bouquet's one of subdued malt and uber-faint hops. Appearance is average enough - we're talking solid lager goodness: You got your generous foamy head, alriight--and above-average retention.

Then comes the flavor! In-and-out, straight-forward... WHAM, BAM, THANK YOU, MA'AM. (And this beer is a lady, indeed.) You got your fizzy tightness and up-front malts--basic but lovely. An even-keel body and a drying hop finish, and there you have it: It's a trademark lager. Finish is a skosh meaner than your common macro, and a bit kinder than the zest of a Pilsner Urquell, for instance. I think I'm tasting an oh-so slight, perfumy fusel note toward the end.

Anyway, A plebian people-pleaser from the kind Teutons at Spaten! (743 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -17.7%

This is simply a middle-of-the-road German pils. Not real strong or real weak, just kind of there. Poured a pale yellow that was more remininscent of urine than I'm used to. Thin white head subsided, decent lacing down the glass. Lots of grain on the nose, and surprisingly little sulphur for a green bottled beer. Taste was, well, just average stereotypical German pils. Easy on the palate, but I quickly became bored with this beer.

I found it amusing that the label indicates this is "malt liquor." It also tries to make up for its mediocrity by playing the reinheitsgebot card. (584 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -12.5%

I like the Spaten logo on the plain, and simple white label.
Pouring 12oz bottle into pilsner glass I get a nice bright white foamy head that doesn't "stick" around too long. Nice clear golden colour.

My flaring nostrils don't pick to much up. I smell some herbal citrus lemon, and cut hay hop aroma, and some sweet malts underneath.

Descent up front lemon hop bitterness, with a touch of malt sweetness. Little to watery, and weak on the finish. Hits the palate with a nice medium mouthfeel, but doesn't hold.

Definitly would not turn away, and are drinkable. Just nothing groundbreaking here in this German Lager. Other great Spaten Brews available. (663 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

Appearance-Light yellow constant bubbles rising from the white head that fades thin but remains.

Smell- big aroma here but I’m not sure what I’m smelling

Taste-clean malty flavor a bit of bitterness background ending a bit tart

Mouthfell-Thin watery

Drinkabilty- I like it but I’m unfamiliar with the style. Not bad but I would not seek another at this time. Need to try more than revisit this one. (413 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

I decided to pick up this beer during a rush trip to Total Wine before a world cup match, and found it to be a little better than I expected.

The head was semi-strong and lasting (with a good pour) and the taste was pretty good. Spaten is easy to drink, so its great for sporting events but if your looking for something unique, this doesn't quite fit the bill. Its an average Lager. (385 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

ehhh... a very typical lager

appearance: very very clear, very light golden

smell: a very good lager aroma,

taste: tangy on the edges of your tounge, but very smooth

mouthfeel: a little to light for me... it is a lager so I'll give it that .. but it lacks some substance

drinkability: very very drinkable..too drinkable... goes down like carbonated water...but is this a good thing...the only thing holding back its drinkability is that that taste becomes boring fast and starts to build up its boringness (520 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer out of a 1-gallon keg. It poured golden, but with little head (I think this had to do with the way the tap worked and I was doing this at an akward angle). The aroma was sweet floral hops. The taste was where it was at though. When this sweet lager hit my taste buds, I was in Heaven. This beer was sweet, but not soda sweet. It was just the right thickness and coated my mouth well. Drinkability is high. This is a beer I could drink a lot of and it's just the right strength for that too. All in all a great German lager. (539 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

This is my first beer to review. I am still getting the hang of tasting.

What I can say is that it poured well, with a foamy head. The aroma is clean, honey sweet and biscuity. It tasted very crisp and carbonated with a warming mouthfeel. The hops add a mild, bitter flavor. Certainly a drinkable beer. (304 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -6%

I found this beer to be slightly above average but not much else. Don't get me wrong this eclipses anything for BMC but it isn't anything to go nuts for. A good beer but not great. I love Helles and maybe am spoiled by Penn Gold, but this wasn't exactly what I was expecting. (275 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +12.8%

the beer has an average appearance. Nothing that would stand out in any persons mind as unique.

smell is of strong malt and grass. very pleasant.

taste substantially overlaps with the scent. Taste comrpises flavors of grass, toasted malt, etc.

mouthfeel is agreeable. carbonation is mild, bubbles are small. Leaves the mouth feeling a bit wet.

overall, this brew is not very complicated. It's straight forward and easy to appreciate. Perfect all year round., (464 characters)

Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu