Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager)Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager)

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website

Munich Helles Lager |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 11-08-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) Alström Bros
Reviews: 584 | Hads: 1,307
4.43/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pale gold color, clear. Lots of fine bubble rising up. Thick bright white head. Leaves very nice lacing behind.

Sweet, bready, biscuit, lightly spicy hops, crisp.

Breadiness up front, rich, biscuit, cracker, slight caramel. Hop bitterness is mild to medium, it's sharp, spicy-herbal. Clean dry finish. Body is light, soft, clean, crisp, refreshing, lively carbonated.

It's an excellent beer. Rich, tasty, highly drinkable.

4.43/5  rDev +20.7%

This beer has a very special space in my heart with Warsteiner since they were the two beers that changed my appreciation and taste for other beers. Pours an excellent golden color into a Spaten mug. Awesome aroma of malty bread and some grain. Excellent carbonation and crispiness. The hops come in near the end with a very nice smooth, crisp dry finish that lingers for a little bit. I love this beer. A great session lager. I think I will go and buy some more right now.

4.4/5  rDev +19.9%

In a US pint glass.

Pale clear straw, small white head.

S: fresh barley, fresh cut hay, some hops.

T: Very smooth, a sort of powderyness. Like nose, fresh barley. Sweet. Slight hops at the end. Tastes kind of like bread.

MF: Very nice, good carbonation, but maybe on the low side for a pale-colored lager.

D: Very Very good lager. Sweet and fresh and enough hops. Extremely drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev +19.9%

This is one of those beers that I could (and have) drink an insane amount of. I have more than once, after all, knocked out one of those 5 litre mini-kegs of this stuff by myself in 2 hours or so. This stuff pours a golden straw colour with a white foamy head that subsides after a few minutes. The nose is quite mild with pleasantly noticeable amounts of both hops and malt, though malt does seem to dominate. The taste of the beer is quite malty with a pleasantly bitter hops "kick" on the finish. Lack of huge carbonation makes this easy to drink and have a smooth mouthfeel. There's a ton of Beck's fans out there, but in my opinion, in the way of German lagers, Spaten is König.

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one surprised me. Friend drank the Optimator, but I am not a big fan of heavy beers so I thought I would try their Lager with a friend. Used standard beer mugs chilled and after first taste, we both looked at each other with surprise at how good it went down.

It had a good head, with a nice and not overpowering hoppy smell and just the right amount of carbonation for my liking. The taste is surprising, as it is a very smooth beer going down, as opposed to a sharp taste of my regular beer, Pacifico, with no bitter aftertaste.

I use this often as a celebration beer as an alternative to Pacifico, my regular daily beer. This beer was a pleasant surprise and is definitely a beer I would drink again.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Big fan of Spaten, all types. This is one of the lesser-known breweries in Munich, but their products are excellent and well established. In fact, Spaten created the first Bavarian "helles" to compete with Pilsners from Bohemia. Anyway, I may be biased. Good beer, like good wine and good food, is something we often associate with events or special times in our lives. In this case, my baptism in Spaten was my college days of yore with good friends at the source--Spaten's beer hall in Munich. Without further ado:

A: Excellent light gold color with a beautiful lacing. Clarity of a pilsner, this is one good looking helles.

S: This beer has always had a unique little scent that I cannot describe. Sort of an inviting bitter hoppy smell, but it's a true signature smell

T/M: A standard perfect German helles. Malts are subtle, hops have a good bite and carbonation is average. Basically a beautifully balanced beer finishing with a subtle and refreshing bite.

D: If I were stuck on a desert island, this one would definitely be on my short list of must-have beers.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured into a pint glass a very pale clear gold. An unusual color. A bright white fizzy 2 finger head. Some lacing. Mild lemony citrus smell. A near perfect mixture of sweet malts and bitter hops, a crisp earthy taste. Nice medium light body with good carbonation. So smooth going down. Good aftertaste. Refreshing and sessionable. This is definitely one of my favorite overall breweries. They can do no wrong.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Awesome beer! I loved every minute of it.

Appearance- amber color, good size head, transparent

Smell- sweet bready aroma

Taste- bready malt taste

Mouthfeel- light, crisp, clean

Drinkability- very drinkable, enjoyed every minute of it, would drink it regularly

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner style glass. To get it out of the way, the only knock on this brew is the damn green bottles! That said, this stuff is so good, as you will read in my review, that I suggest buying it in 12 packs, so it's sealed up and you don't have to worry about light exposure.

A: Brilliant pale golden color, plenty of head and lacing is left on the glass as it's consumed.

S: A very refreshing lemon and clean hop scent dominate the nose of this German classic.

T & M: A very refreshing lemon malt sweetness starts off and then a white grape flavor kind of makes it way through. The hops then kick in that balance the sweetness out and round thins out very nicely. Spaten's trademark very clean hops are defenitely present. A nearly perfect balance between malt and hops.

D: One of the most sessionable beers on the planet earth! This beer is not "complex", but it's just plain good, for any time of the day or any season. It's refreshing, it has flavor, nothing is overpowering, just plain perfect for a "plain" beer.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

A - Darker yellow, head was about a finger width, disappeared rather fast.

S - Smell started off slightly skunky, almost resembled Heineken, slight honey smell.

T - Crisp, clean, malty and dry, awesome.

M - Medium body, smooth, kind of fizzy.

D - Probably one of the most enjoyable beers I've had in it's category. Easy to drink, smooth aftertaste, goes down really really easy.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

pours a very clear light gold with a half inch white head that fades quickly and leaves no lacing. smell is slightly fruity with a pine hop scent also. taste slightly fruity and nice hop finish. mouthfeel dry crisp light. nice easy beer to drink with a good hop bite.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

pretty tasty lager. pours nice rich color with three quarters inch of head. good steady carbonation. smells nice and full, malts, grass, hops...nice. tastes better than i expected. nice malt and hop mix with lingering yet subtle hop finish. this was enjoyable enough that i had three in a row.

suckem up and movem out.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured into a glass mug. Pours pale golden with a two-finger length white head. Plenty of lacing is left on the glass. The aroma is of lightly toasted barley malt and hops. There's a mild citrus aroma. There are flavor is sweet, bready, with notes of citrus and some hop bitterness. It's a very well balanced flavor and it's delicious. The mouthfeel is light. It's crisp with adequate carbonation. The finish is dry. It's very refreshing. This is an excellent lager and deserves top ratings for this style.

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

Appearance: Good foam and lacing on top of a clear golden yellow with good, active carbonation.

Smell: Strong malts with a good hint of spicy lemon hops. Very well balanced overall.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Mostly strong malts with the obvious presence of some grapes, giving this an almost wine-like quality. You can almost taste sourdough bread in this. Very pleasant. Smooth mouthfeel that highlights all the qualities in the taste.

Drinkability: Superb. One of the most balanced "lighter" lagers I've tasted.

Overall: Underutilized and underrated, yet fairly easy to find. Definitely give this a try.

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

Balance is the key to a brilliant pilsener, and Spaten's Premium Lager has it. Beyond it's typically crystal-clear golden body and bright-white head lies a perfectly balanced combination of grassy and mildly spicy hops amidst a grainy and mildly sweet malt. It's nose is bright and welcoming with the hops and malt taking turns in appearance, but also working together to deliver a more concise presentation. The flavor follows along the same lines; and it's "rich" and exciting without being overly bold. It's malt is nicely grainy, and softly sweet with suggestions of Munich malts; and it acts as the perfect, supple, blanket on which to lay its grassy and spicy hop flavors. It's components are distinct, but always kept in check. Even it's bitterness is solid and clearly present, but not aggressively bold. This is a southern German pilsner that's balanced with a gentle hand and formulated for drinkability - and it succeeds!

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

I tapped a keg of this before my historical society's annual halloween party last night while the band was doing a sound check. I was careful to pour a generous pint for myself with at least a 2" head on top. After the inital check of the vibrant golden beer, I inhaled a great aroma of hops, yeast, and light malts.

The taste was somewhat heavier than expected with a flowing sweet quality to it that marked the 50 liter barrel for certain emptiness by the end of the night. As it was one 4 barrels, I got back to it when it was half way done for a half cup which confirmed how refreshing it was.

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer is very fresh judging by the date codes, maybe 6 weeks max from packaging.

I agree substantially with the last review except there is no way I would compare this to Budweiser, it is much better. It has good grainy values - no starch-like notes I associate with adjunct - and good mineral notes from the hops. Also, it has no DMS or similar smells like a lot of Euro lager has. It is on the dry and light side for helles but nothing wrong with that.

I am sure on draft unpasteurized it would be even better.

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured from a 12 fl oz into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden with a bright white head. Little carbonation, calm and thick looking.

Smell: Grassy metallic notes. Standard European lager nose.

Taste: Outstanding biscuity flavor. Not too sweet and not too hoppy. Just a perfect helles.

Mouthfeel: Thick, full beer. A slight bite of carbonation on the tongue.

Overall: I thought I wouldn't feel so strongly about a relatively standard (plain?) style of beer, but this is perfect right now. I have been craving something to balance out the range of over-malty to uber-hoppy beers I have been drinking for the last six months. It also satisfies a nice balance between hoppy Czech (my usual favorite) and dry German pilsners. Spaten hits the spot!

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

Spaten Premium Lager pours a golden amber from a 12 fl oz green glass bottle with a pry off cap. Head went to over two fingers before going down to a full cap of fine foam with trails of lacing along the walls of my glass.

Nose is of sweet toasted barley malt with just a slight touch of husk Palate is a sweet toasted malt that has been bittered with hops, but the sweet malts are in the forefront and the hops are in the background. The bight of carbonation is welcome and very refreshing as well.

Spaten Premium Lager is a well-built lager that can hold its own with the rest of this worlds lagers.

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

i pretty much love all of Spaten's recipes. this pours nicely, laces in little spots and smells very pilsnerly. lager? smells hoppy, tastes very dr; finishes clean with a crisp taste. nice session beer, dry, a little bitter, very germany . . . . wish they would bring back the Club-Weisse....

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

A: nice color and thick head

S: what nice aroma

T: very light and dry good from beginning to end

M: very nice

D: If I had to have only one beer for the rest of my life I could settle on this. Overall this is a very drinkable beer through and through. This is the first legitamate German Beer that I have tired and it is exactly what I expected and then some. Very pleased

4.28/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured this 12 oz. green and undated bottle into a half liter Spaten mug, beautiful. Crystal clear golden yellow body. Bright white frothy head. Huge soapy bubbles filled the glass. Photo worthy.

Smell was terrific. Sweet cereals. Leafy hops. Grassy. Rich.

Taste was good, but not as nice as the aroma. Crisp sweet graininess. Mildy bitter (noble hops?). Bready. Subtle yet refreshing.

Mouthfeel was smooth and medium bodied.

Very drinkable. I will find this one again.

4.28/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is one of my favorite beers. Very reminiscent of the beer I had at Oktoberfest in Munich (view my avatar)

Beer pours a light gold colour. Lots of carbonation.

Smell is little on the heavier side. Not offensive though.

Taste is what a beer should be. Strong, but not too strong. A little too much aftertaste for my liking, but I will deal with it.

As stated before, this beer has lots of carbonation. Goes down a little harsher then desired.

Overall I love this beer. So glad I had the chance to sample in the beer fests of all beer fests. Give this one a try. Does not disappoint.

4.28/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours a pale straw, crystal clear. Bubbly two finger head with good retention and decent lacing. The floral hop aroma is strong, with background sweet malt. The pale munich type flavor upfront is faint but balanced well with bold noble hops. Spicy whole hop aftertaste that comes on strong, then gracefully fades. Light body and actively carbonated for a smooth mouthfeel with a very mild hoppy finish. A quality pilsener with no skunk character and high drinkability.

4.27/5  rDev +16.3%

I picked up a six pack of this classic German beer on a beer run today, I've been looking for it for awhile but its not sold at any of the area grocery stores I frequent. On opening and pouring into my trusty Schlafly Pale Ale pint glass I got the classic German lager smell. Color is a nice straw yellow, with a small head that dissipates somewhat quickly leaving a ring with some lacing that lasted. Taste was hoppy bite up front, a little bitter but very pleasant. This beer is very crisp, dry, and cleanses the palate. Very refreshing. Overall this is one of the best German Lager's I've had and I can see drinking a lot more of this now that I know where to get it. My old standby for this type of beer was Becks, but this is a better beer. Time to work on the rest of that six pack...

Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu