Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager)Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager)

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website

Munich Helles Lager |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 11-08-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) Alström Bros
Reviews: 584 | Hads: 1,307
2.97/5  rDev -19.1%

Appearance - Crystal clear!!! Very pale yellow with a super bright white head. The head was kind of small and didn't have a tremendous amount of lacing or retention. Several bubbles working from the bottom to the top. Reminds me of an American macro in appearance.

Smell - A very clean breadiness and cracker like aroma at first that I found enjoyable. Some fresh "grainy' or "grassy" hops pull through also. Not overly complicated.

Taste - The grainy hop bitterness comes forth more in the taste. A touch metallic. A fresh, dry, white bread type of flavor. Clean and well balanced.

Mouthfeel - Medium/thin. Smooth and crisp. A bit more dry in the finish than I was expecting. Seems refreshing. A bit left on the palate.

Drinkability - This is an ok beer. I am coming to the conclusion that German Pilsners and Lagers don't do much for me. They are not bad, but just nothing I flip out over. They are a good change for me on occasion, but I don't want to make an evening out of this. Just not my preferred style.

2.96/5  rDev -19.3%

Appearance- Body is a light, golden straw with a very small white head. The head has no retention, and leaves behind no lace.

Aroma- Smelsl a tad light-struck. Behind that, you get a decent blend of malt sweetness, graininess and Saaz hops. To bad the fools had to out this in a green bottle.

Taste- Some Saaz hops up front, followed by a mellow malt sweetness. Rather pleasant. Kinda of has a tartness to it to.

Mouthfeel- Light, crisp, and good carbonation.

Drinkability- This would probably be a good beer if they packaged it right. They lose major points for poor packaging and getting it light-struck.

2.96/5  rDev -19.3%

Had on tap at cock and bull served in your standard pint.

A- straw yellow that is translucent with a magnifying glass effect. White head holds up for a short while That recedes to a uniformed group of condensed white bubbles.

S- my nose is telling me straight lager yeast with a Tad of musty basement. Maybe some wheat in the mix. Pretty plain and uneventful.

T- honestly it is a bmc lager on roids. More straightforward yeast and hops that fade to a rice type flavor. Reminds me of a ' double ' Miller lite.

M- light and crisp, very easy to drink. Good carbonation That is not to prickly like most lagers.

Overall not a very flavorful beer. Tastes are lacking But the criteria for the style is good. For me its not very good, I like more complexity in my beers

2.95/5  rDev -19.6%

I can't seem to figure out when it was bottled... but it can't be that fresh, since it was made in Germany, imported to New York, then to Minnesota.
Bottle to glass. Not Coors Light cold, like I presume the Germans would drink it.

A: Light Golden, clear very carbonated, head dissipated rapidly.

S: It smells skunky and floral, but not strong.

T: Well, IMO it's better than all the 'domestic' lagers, but not by a whole lot. It has a little more bite to it, hoppier. A slight skunk aftertaste.

O: I've had the Optimator and the Marzen Oktoberfest, and I was a little disappointed at first, but then remembered it's a light lager, and should be judged as so... that being said, it's pretty good, and it's probably not nearly as fresh as the domestics, being in the middle of America.

2.95/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours golden, crystal clarity with a thin head and properly Pilsner appearance. The nose is mainly composed of yeast and citrus with a backdrop of grain. Fresh smelling but otherwise nothing special.
Has a moderate bitterness but is really more bark than bite. Hop flavors are minimal and although clean, this is more watery even than I anticipated.
Not a terrible beer, and I can see trying it on tap, particularly if I can back to Munich anytime soon but in the bottle it's mostly weak and uninspiring

2.95/5  rDev -19.6%

This is not a favorite hells lager.

Pours a clear bright yellow color with a fluffy bubbly white head that is very fleating.

The aroma is very nutral. Nothing much going on. Just light in every way.

The flavor is the same as above.

Mouthfeel is light.

Don't drink unless it's for an added review.

2.93/5  rDev -20.2%

Light honey tones with a nice soapy but looser head on top. Color is rather pale, not too rich with almost no visible carbonation whatsoever. Aroma is a sour/metal hoppiness. Faint adjunct-like maltiness; huskiness, vegetably. Not great. Taste is balanced, no side overpowers the other, but this makes for a sort of boring beer, lacking character. Faint finish on cracker malts, hops bitterness is quite low. Mouthfeel is right on target, not too thin in body, good pilsen structure.

Overall, a pretty boring German lager. Not much character to it, flavors are subdued to the point of being almost unnoticeable. Compared to the Paulaner pils I reviewed yesterday, this is a German Budweiser.

2.91/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured from a bottle into a Lager glass. Pours a dark yellow in color with a three finger head. Quite nice I guess though nothing special. Pretty much smells of any other lager, Including Adjuncts with some strong skunkiness coming through. Taste is realistically no better than a PBR, Except with some very slight fruitiness. The mouthfeel is pretty much the same as the taste. With no additional flavors coming through, However it is not harsh at all. Overall, It's a pretty average beer. Nothing worth buying in my opinion, I got the bottle for free so I cannot complain

2.91/5  rDev -20.7%

A clear light golden beer, a white head leaving some lacing.

A rather weak smell, some malty/sweet notes.

The taste has bread notes, sweet corn flakes, some lemon acidity and a metallic bitterness.

Medium high carbonation, an un-complex body.

Descent, but not very compelling to me.

2.9/5  rDev -21%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Intense golden yellow color, quite carbonated, with an average foam, not very longstanding.
Definte malty notes in the smell, with some biscuit.
Same for the taste, malty, but with a secondary light hint of hop.
Honest beer, easily drinkable.
Same notes again in the aftertaste, with strong maltness, biscuit, and some hop.

2.83/5  rDev -22.9%

I had a bottle of this beer. Extremely clear yellow, to the point that it looks like water with a slight bit of food coloring. Average foamy head that dissipates quickly.

This tastes more like a Pilsner than a lager to me. Bitter if not stale. It is very easy to drink, but doesn't offer much. The initial taste wears off quickly, leaving a highly unimpressive beer.

2.83/5  rDev -22.9%

Pours a pale metallic gold, clear colour but the slightest hint of haze. Slow carbonation bead trailing up to a snowy white head that's sunk to a thin film, leaving some nice sticky lacing around. Looks quite good, I guess.

Smells grainy, with a sweet alcohol kind of aroma. Pearl barley notes with a touch of honey and some corn characters as well. Some unpleasant bready notes but a fairly pleasant hop character backing up with some earthy sourness. Not enough, though, to cover that yeasty note. Not bad, but bland.

Taste is a little unpleasant at times. Mild maltiness on the front with some barley and corn balanced with a touch of honey. This evolves into bready grain on the mid with a yeasty note that doesn't last. Finish is largely phenolic with a real medicinal hop character. Too pungent, really, to be overly clean and doesn't contrast well enough to knock out the sweetness which continues to the finish. Once I adjust to the flavour, it becomes a milder but it could be a lot cleaner and better balanced.

Feels alright in the mouth, there is a spice to the back, body is a bit over-full and could be crisper, but sits quite well with me otherwise.

Yeah, palatable enough once you get over that medicinal finish. But nothing special.

2.8/5  rDev -23.7%

On draft from a shared pitcher at Dr. Dremo's in Arlington, Va.

A - bright golden yellow, deep color. Head is bright white but dissipates quickly leaving no lacing. No head retention at all.

S - sweet malt. Some DMS. Very little hop aroma, some slight spicy, noble hop aroma there, but malt dominates. Bready.

T - overwhelmingly sweet. Very sweet malt flavor predominates, followed by some yeasty notes, some graininess. Very little hop flavor or backbone to balance out the sweet pils malt flavor. Some earthy noble hop flavor but not much. Sweet flavor of corn, grains, sugar. Yuck.

M - thin, but highly carbonated and filling. Sweet but not sticky.

D - wow, very unimpressed with this offering from what I consider to be a great brewery. Love Optimator and love their Oktoberfest, but this 'traditional' lager leaves a lot to be desired - particularly the presence of any hops. Not sure if this beer is trying to be more of a pils or helles, but either way pass this by.

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

Appearance-Light yellow constant bubbles rising from the white head that fades thin but remains.

Smell- big aroma here but I’m not sure what I’m smelling

Taste-clean malty flavor a bit of bitterness background ending a bit tart

Mouthfell-Thin watery

Drinkabilty- I like it but I’m unfamiliar with the style. Not bad but I would not seek another at this time. Need to try more than revisit this one.

2.74/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This was very reminiscent of Heineken but skunkier. It's probably due to the duration of shipping. It's wasn't particularly great but I'll drink it if it's available. I wasn't too impressed though. I would like to try their other beers for sure.

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

This beer had great promise. I was told by the owner of the shop I bought it from that it's one of the best lagers on the market. But as soon as I smelled it i knew he was wrong. Maybe it was skunked, cause this thing smelled foul. Good color, loads of bubbles, look was great. Mouthfeel light. Taste was ok. Slightly more complex than a bud. Not buying this again, not asking that dude what he reccomends again.

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

Another German pilsner... So much of these out there. The beer is a hellish gold color with fluffy white head on it. The brew is light bodied and has flavors of some hops, malts and fresh cut grass. The grassy flavors aren't too strong in the this which is nice. I can drink this beer if I have too, I wouldn't go out of my way to get it.

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

It has an herbal, almost grassy taste and was pretty smooth.
Color: Golden yellow
Smell: Had a wheaty smell
Taste: maltier, balanced, hint of hops, herbal taste with wheat or grass taste.
Carbonation: little carbonation
Head: very tiny head with light to none hold
Mouthfeel: light mouthfeel
Extra: Didn't particularly care for this beer. It was your average run of the mill beer. The taste was identical to that of Coors or Heineken.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Middle of the road helles, nothing too remarkable here, but overall a decent helles. Appearance is lacking some color (pale golden ) and head (very spare). Aroma is malt, taste is mostly malt, hops barely make an appearance here. Much better to be found in germany.

2.66/5  rDev -27.5%

This was an interesting sample I had at a college bar which really surprised me in its range of quality.

A: Appeared much like any Bavarian lager, a little malty head and that light brown color that didnt impress, but wasnt bad

S: A mix of grass and motor oil, unpleasantly shocking on first wiff, I couldn't believe how strong it was. Not its strong suit

T: Too malty for me, not exactly my thing, its just left a very bad taste in my mouth.

M: Suprisingly heavy malt mouthfeel, it really seemed to be weighed down by that. Similar to malt liquor

D: Went down reasonbly smooth. It really wasn't something I could have more than two of, but if you do like strong smelling malted lagers (the smell overpowered me) then this would be very agreeable

2.65/5  rDev -27.8%

Pale yellow beer with thin little head. Does last a while though. Smells more like today's mexican beers (i know a lot of the mexican beers were started by german brewers that traveled to mexico) more than a german. Nice tart kind of taste. Kind of creamy with hints of corn. Mouthfeel is smooth and easy going down. Drinkabililty is fair. Crisp refreshing.

2.65/5  rDev -27.8%

This beer was lighter yellow in color. To me it was just like a typically, standard beer. What you think of when you hear the word beer. It has an herbal, almost grassy taste and was pretty smooth. Not my favorite, but what I did like about this beer was that it has a super clean finish and did not leave a horrible after taste!

2.63/5  rDev -28.3%

Man, was I disappointed when I got this from Beer Poker - $2.50 for whatever bottle they pull out at the Flying Saucer. My buddy got Rogue Dead Guy and another 60 Minute IPA - nobody would trade me. It could have been disappointment in poker but my general impression was this one was not impressive. A Dinkle Acker of Prima Pils is more my style, this one's a bit bitter, more of a Euro Lager in appeance and smell. Easy enough to drink but I won't pick this one again (but will probably play Beer Poker again).

2.6/5  rDev -29.2%

Reviewed 7/21/2007 (12oz bottle):

Pours a clearish yellow colored body, with an average whitish colored head. Has a malty fresh aroma. A nice clean taste, but has a watery palate. Some aroma of hops is present too. Has a crisp malty aftertaste. Somewhat refreshing.

2.56/5  rDev -30.2%

Gold in color with that euro lager smell.
average taste with a good feel to the mouth, clears nicely. Better that most american lagers, with exceptions of course. Overall not bad, but again falls short of american micro brews. Stay with the home team.

Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu