Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager)Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager)

good

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Munich Helles Lager |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 11-08-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

2.53/5  rDev -31.3%

On tap at Gourmet Haus Staudt.

It pours a pale and perfectly clear straw-yellow. A two finger head rests on top, retaining nicely and leaving a bit of lacing behind.

The aroma is light but clean, bordering on bland. It's lightly sweet and malty, a bit floral and soapy. Not bad, but there's not much to it.

The taste can pretty much be summarized by the word "meh", but since BA reviews require more characters than that, I guess I'll extrapolate. It's malty, clean, sweet without any hops to balance the malt; it fades into nothing. There's no finish, not much in the way of nuance. It's in no way terrible, but it is poorly balanced and extremely boring. The sweetness seems to stick to the palate after a while, which makes this difficult to drink in any large quantities.

2.53/5  rDev -31.3%

Poured yellowish-golden with a thin, inconsistent head. Turned off by the smell, as it almost had a skunky characteristic. Can't say the taste was anything special either. It had a bready texture with more of a floral finish. Fortunately, it was very smooth going down. I expected better things, as I am typically a big fan of the Spaten line.

2.58/5  rDev -29.9%

Gold in color with that euro lager smell.
average taste with a good feel to the mouth, clears nicely. Better that most american lagers, with exceptions of course. Overall not bad, but again falls short of american micro brews. Stay with the home team.

2.58/5  rDev -29.9%

Reviewed 7/21/2007 (12oz bottle):

Pours a clearish yellow colored body, with an average whitish colored head. Has a malty fresh aroma. A nice clean taste, but has a watery palate. Some aroma of hops is present too. Has a crisp malty aftertaste. Somewhat refreshing.

2.6/5  rDev -29.3%

This beer was lighter yellow in color. To me it was just like a typically, standard beer. What you think of when you hear the word beer. It has an herbal, almost grassy taste and was pretty smooth. Not my favorite, but what I did like about this beer was that it has a super clean finish and did not leave a horrible after taste!

2.63/5  rDev -28.5%

Man, was I disappointed when I got this from Beer Poker - $2.50 for whatever bottle they pull out at the Flying Saucer. My buddy got Rogue Dead Guy and another 60 Minute IPA - nobody would trade me. It could have been disappointment in poker but my general impression was this one was not impressive. A Dinkle Acker of Prima Pils is more my style, this one's a bit bitter, more of a Euro Lager in appeance and smell. Easy enough to drink but I won't pick this one again (but will probably play Beer Poker again).

2.65/5  rDev -28%

Pale yellow beer with thin little head. Does last a while though. Smells more like today's mexican beers (i know a lot of the mexican beers were started by german brewers that traveled to mexico) more than a german. Nice tart kind of taste. Kind of creamy with hints of corn. Mouthfeel is smooth and easy going down. Drinkabililty is fair. Crisp refreshing.

2.68/5  rDev -27.2%

2.68/5  rDev -27.2%

This was an interesting sample I had at a college bar which really surprised me in its range of quality.

A: Appeared much like any Bavarian lager, a little malty head and that light brown color that didnt impress, but wasnt bad

S: A mix of grass and motor oil, unpleasantly shocking on first wiff, I couldn't believe how strong it was. Not its strong suit

T: Too malty for me, not exactly my thing, its just left a very bad taste in my mouth.

M: Suprisingly heavy malt mouthfeel, it really seemed to be weighed down by that. Similar to malt liquor

D: Went down reasonbly smooth. It really wasn't something I could have more than two of, but if you do like strong smelling malted lagers (the smell overpowered me) then this would be very agreeable

2.7/5  rDev -26.6%

It has an herbal, almost grassy taste and was pretty smooth.
Color: Golden yellow
Smell: Had a wheaty smell
Taste: maltier, balanced, hint of hops, herbal taste with wheat or grass taste.
Carbonation: little carbonation
Head: very tiny head with light to none hold
Mouthfeel: light mouthfeel
Extra: Didn't particularly care for this beer. It was your average run of the mill beer. The taste was identical to that of Coors or Heineken.

2.72/5  rDev -26.1%

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

Appearance-Light yellow constant bubbles rising from the white head that fades thin but remains.

Smell- big aroma here but I’m not sure what I’m smelling

Taste-clean malty flavor a bit of bitterness background ending a bit tart

Mouthfell-Thin watery

Drinkabilty- I like it but I’m unfamiliar with the style. Not bad but I would not seek another at this time. Need to try more than revisit this one.

2.74/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Middle of the road helles, nothing too remarkable here, but overall a decent helles. Appearance is lacking some color (pale golden ) and head (very spare). Aroma is malt, taste is mostly malt, hops barely make an appearance here. Much better to be found in germany.

2.74/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This was very reminiscent of Heineken but skunkier. It's probably due to the duration of shipping. It's wasn't particularly great but I'll drink it if it's available. I wasn't too impressed though. I would like to try their other beers for sure.

2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

Another German pilsner... So much of these out there. The beer is a hellish gold color with fluffy white head on it. The brew is light bodied and has flavors of some hops, malts and fresh cut grass. The grassy flavors aren't too strong in the this which is nice. I can drink this beer if I have too, I wouldn't go out of my way to get it.

Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu