Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

YOUR RATING = None |
good

Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager)Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager)

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu
Germany | website

Style: Munich Helles Lager

Added by Bierman9 on 11-08-2001

Reviews: 594 | Ratings: 1,353
4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured from a 12 fl oz into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden with a bright white head. Little carbonation, calm and thick looking.

Smell: Grassy metallic notes. Standard European lager nose.

Taste: Outstanding biscuity flavor. Not too sweet and not too hoppy. Just a perfect helles.

Mouthfeel: Thick, full beer. A slight bite of carbonation on the tongue.

Overall: I thought I wouldn't feel so strongly about a relatively standard (plain?) style of beer, but this is perfect right now. I have been craving something to balance out the range of over-malty to uber-hoppy beers I have been drinking for the last six months. It also satisfies a nice balance between hoppy Czech (my usual favorite) and dry German pilsners. Spaten hits the spot!

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

Spaten Premium Lager pours a golden amber from a 12 fl oz green glass bottle with a pry off cap. Head went to over two fingers before going down to a full cap of fine foam with trails of lacing along the walls of my glass.

Nose is of sweet toasted barley malt with just a slight touch of husk Palate is a sweet toasted malt that has been bittered with hops, but the sweet malts are in the forefront and the hops are in the background. The bight of carbonation is welcome and very refreshing as well.

Spaten Premium Lager is a well-built lager that can hold its own with the rest of this worlds lagers.

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

i pretty much love all of Spaten's recipes. this pours nicely, laces in little spots and smells very pilsnerly. lager? smells hoppy, tastes very dr; finishes clean with a crisp taste. nice session beer, dry, a little bitter, very germany . . . . wish they would bring back the Club-Weisse....

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

A: nice color and thick head

S: what nice aroma

T: very light and dry good from beginning to end

M: very nice

D: If I had to have only one beer for the rest of my life I could settle on this. Overall this is a very drinkable beer through and through. This is the first legitamate German Beer that I have tired and it is exactly what I expected and then some. Very pleased

4.31/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great beer! Another readily available high quality brew when I moved to Toronto in early 2010 from WV. I was like a kid in a candy store..sure craft brews were big then in the US but all we were getting were IPA's and im not a fan. Happily , selections have expanded since I moved back last summer.. but man my time in Canada really opened my eyes to some really great beers.

To the point, this is a perfect example of the style. At the same time it has a distinguishing flavor to it that sets it apart from its peers. A very subtle fruity dryness is how i describe it.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Big fan of Spaten, all types. This is one of the lesser-known breweries in Munich, but their products are excellent and well established. In fact, Spaten created the first Bavarian "helles" to compete with Pilsners from Bohemia. Anyway, I may be biased. Good beer, like good wine and good food, is something we often associate with events or special times in our lives. In this case, my baptism in Spaten was my college days of yore with good friends at the source--Spaten's beer hall in Munich. Without further ado:

A: Excellent light gold color with a beautiful lacing. Clarity of a pilsner, this is one good looking helles.

S: This beer has always had a unique little scent that I cannot describe. Sort of an inviting bitter hoppy smell, but it's a true signature smell

T/M: A standard perfect German helles. Malts are subtle, hops have a good bite and carbonation is average. Basically a beautifully balanced beer finishing with a subtle and refreshing bite.

D: If I were stuck on a desert island, this one would definitely be on my short list of must-have beers.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured into a pint glass a very pale clear gold. An unusual color. A bright white fizzy 2 finger head. Some lacing. Mild lemony citrus smell. A near perfect mixture of sweet malts and bitter hops, a crisp earthy taste. Nice medium light body with good carbonation. So smooth going down. Good aftertaste. Refreshing and sessionable. This is definitely one of my favorite overall breweries. They can do no wrong.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Awesome beer! I loved every minute of it.

Appearance- amber color, good size head, transparent

Smell- sweet bready aroma

Taste- bready malt taste

Mouthfeel- light, crisp, clean

Drinkability- very drinkable, enjoyed every minute of it, would drink it regularly

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner style glass. To get it out of the way, the only knock on this brew is the damn green bottles! That said, this stuff is so good, as you will read in my review, that I suggest buying it in 12 packs, so it's sealed up and you don't have to worry about light exposure.

A: Brilliant pale golden color, plenty of head and lacing is left on the glass as it's consumed.

S: A very refreshing lemon and clean hop scent dominate the nose of this German classic.

T & M: A very refreshing lemon malt sweetness starts off and then a white grape flavor kind of makes it way through. The hops then kick in that balance the sweetness out and round thins out very nicely. Spaten's trademark very clean hops are defenitely present. A nearly perfect balance between malt and hops.

D: One of the most sessionable beers on the planet earth! This beer is not "complex", but it's just plain good, for any time of the day or any season. It's refreshing, it has flavor, nothing is overpowering, just plain perfect for a "plain" beer.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

A - Darker yellow, head was about a finger width, disappeared rather fast.

S - Smell started off slightly skunky, almost resembled Heineken, slight honey smell.

T - Crisp, clean, malty and dry, awesome.

M - Medium body, smooth, kind of fizzy.

D - Probably one of the most enjoyable beers I've had in it's category. Easy to drink, smooth aftertaste, goes down really really easy.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

pours a very clear light gold with a half inch white head that fades quickly and leaves no lacing. smell is slightly fruity with a pine hop scent also. taste slightly fruity and nice hop finish. mouthfeel dry crisp light. nice easy beer to drink with a good hop bite.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

pretty tasty lager. pours nice rich color with three quarters inch of head. good steady carbonation. smells nice and full, malts, grass, hops...nice. tastes better than i expected. nice malt and hop mix with lingering yet subtle hop finish. this was enjoyable enough that i had three in a row.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured into a glass mug. Pours pale golden with a two-finger length white head. Plenty of lacing is left on the glass. The aroma is of lightly toasted barley malt and hops. There's a mild citrus aroma. There are flavor is sweet, bready, with notes of citrus and some hop bitterness. It's a very well balanced flavor and it's delicious. The mouthfeel is light. It's crisp with adequate carbonation. The finish is dry. It's very refreshing. This is an excellent lager and deserves top ratings for this style.

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one surprised me. Friend drank the Optimator, but I am not a big fan of heavy beers so I thought I would try their Lager with a friend. Used standard beer mugs chilled and after first taste, we both looked at each other with surprise at how good it went down.

It had a good head, with a nice and not overpowering hoppy smell and just the right amount of carbonation for my liking. The taste is surprising, as it is a very smooth beer going down, as opposed to a sharp taste of my regular beer, Pacifico, with no bitter aftertaste.

I use this often as a celebration beer as an alternative to Pacifico, my regular daily beer. This beer was a pleasant surprise and is definitely a beer I would drink again.

4.4/5  rDev +19.9%

In a US pint glass.

Pale clear straw, small white head.

S: fresh barley, fresh cut hay, some hops.

T: Very smooth, a sort of powderyness. Like nose, fresh barley. Sweet. Slight hops at the end. Tastes kind of like bread.

MF: Very nice, good carbonation, but maybe on the low side for a pale-colored lager.

D: Very Very good lager. Sweet and fresh and enough hops. Extremely drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev +19.9%

This is one of those beers that I could (and have) drink an insane amount of. I have more than once, after all, knocked out one of those 5 litre mini-kegs of this stuff by myself in 2 hours or so. This stuff pours a golden straw colour with a white foamy head that subsides after a few minutes. The nose is quite mild with pleasantly noticeable amounts of both hops and malt, though malt does seem to dominate. The taste of the beer is quite malty with a pleasantly bitter hops "kick" on the finish. Lack of huge carbonation makes this easy to drink and have a smooth mouthfeel. There's a ton of Beck's fans out there, but in my opinion, in the way of German lagers, Spaten is König.

4.43/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance:
Pale gold color, clear. Lots of fine bubble rising up. Thick bright white head. Leaves very nice lacing behind.

Aroma:
Sweet, bready, biscuit, lightly spicy hops, crisp.

Taste:
Breadiness up front, rich, biscuit, cracker, slight caramel. Hop bitterness is mild to medium, it's sharp, spicy-herbal. Clean dry finish. Body is light, soft, clean, crisp, refreshing, lively carbonated.

Overall:
It's an excellent beer. Rich, tasty, highly drinkable.

4.43/5  rDev +20.7%

This beer has a very special space in my heart with Warsteiner since they were the two beers that changed my appreciation and taste for other beers. Pours an excellent golden color into a Spaten mug. Awesome aroma of malty bread and some grain. Excellent carbonation and crispiness. The hops come in near the end with a very nice smooth, crisp dry finish that lingers for a little bit. I love this beer. A great session lager. I think I will go and buy some more right now.

4.45/5  rDev +21.3%

Tested on a rainy afternoon in may 2010. Poured in a FCBayern-Pilsener glass. Denotes a bright golden color, oil type, thin head of foam with acceptable duration and retention. In the smell, is a blend of floral and herbal hops. The taste have the same hops with some extra biscuity malt and olive oil. The mouthfeel is extra-crunchy, off of thirst, medium bitterness with a bittersweet finish, smooth body. In the drinkability, is the second "most crisp" beer i have taste (after Corona Extra), by far the best munich helles lager style.

4.48/5  rDev +22.1%

A very nice surprise at the Schmankerl Stube Bavarian haus in Hagerstown Maryland last night. I'm usually drinking the Hefe or Marzen. Schmankerl has changed over to Spaten recently, as well, and I guess I'd just never gotten this one, on-tap.

A= very nice luscious rich-golden, with a white medium head foam typical of a lager.

S= very very nice on the nose, or maybe it's just what I happened to be looking for-- a good old traditional lager with some whiffs of sweet malts and traces of grassy notes with a complimentary presence of hops, in-balance.

T= an interesting bouquet in the first instant-taste, pronounced and yet not intrusive, followed quickly by a splash of honey sweetness, then all of it seeming to combine into a combined-wholeness. Nice carbonation, medium rather than tiny bubbles and yet not an over-amount of filling carbonation. Goes down nicely, didn't leave me feeling belchy.

M= very nice, clean, and it went well with the entire meal from bread to goulash to salad to sweet-sour Sauerbraten and everything in between.

D= totally drinkable.

4.49/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into pilsener glass.

Have been drinking this stuff for a while now. Without a doubt my favorite non-bock Lager. So tasty, so refreshing. I had seen it many times, but didn't decide to try it until a friend of a friend who has a similar appreciation for German beer highly recommended it.

A - Looks like a normal lager. Not made for it's looks. Yellow-amber with lot' of carbonation present. Head varies based on freshness, but even with one that's a bit on the older side, you can still form a head with some aggression in the pour.

S - Smooth and mild malts. More hops than similar lagers, and just a tad of dankness. The way a European Lager should smell, IMO.

T - Delicious. Perfect amount of refreshment and taste. Malt up front with hops shortly afterwards. A touch of the dank smell is noticed in the taste, but not in a skuky way that you often find w/ Heineken or Pilsner Urquell. This stuff always tastes fresh. This stuff isn't complicated like an IPA or American Strong ale, but it's perfect for what it is : a tasty, refreshing lager.

F - The perfect beer for refreshment. So good after a workout. Crisp and tasty, the carbonation tingle is perfect. Easy on the throat and stomach.

O - Again, one of my favorite beers overall. I realize that lager's get a bit of an unfair bummed rap around here, but you have to remember, there are plenty of excellent lagers out there. The fact that most crap American beers are lagers plays into this negative stereotype, which I think is wrong. This beer has a perfect amount of taste and refreshment. The ultimate (and my favorite) session beer, and one of my Top 5 overall. Highly recommended for any Lager fans, or anyone who likes to session with quality, tasty beer.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

Spotted this the other day at my local beer shop and bought a 6 to take home. Despite the fact that I did not have this beer in years, it was a welcome experience.

Poured into a 16 Oz mug and it had a nice golden color. Head did not last long but the lacing was decent. Had a spicy, sweet floral aroma and taste.

Mouthfeel and drinkability scored high in my book and this is definitely a refreshing beer I will keep around the house.

4.51/5  rDev +22.9%

I realize I am new to beer, but I love this one! So smooth & easy. It is a lovely color with great bubbles. It drinks very easy with a good mouth feel. I originally had it in a German restaurant with an order of spaetzle. I have had it since without food just as an evening beer & was still very pleased.
I only wish it didn't have to be special ordered where I live...

4.51/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poor - from a 12oz bottle - Nice easy poor, about a finger soapy head. Head settles down quickly to a thin top lacing. Very light lacing on the sides.

Appearance - 14k gold/straw, light amber. Very clear, almost no carbonation.

Nose - Very nice. Light Bohemian pilsner barley malt; bready/biscuit. Very nice light Hallertau, floral/grass/lemon. Very balanced, very light pleasant, rounded nose.

Mouthfeel - light, a little fizzy, a little watery... easy drinking.

Taste - Very balanced German/Bavarian pils/lager. What more is there to say, nothing really. Atypical Euro/German/Bavarian Pils/Lager. Pils barley malt, Hallertau hops, well balanced; a little grain, a little grass/floral/lemon. Nice light bitterness. No sweetness really, like in a Heineken.

Finish - Very nice light lasting finish. No off flavors. Floral, sour lemon. Dry, granny smith apple crisp.

Overall - Very nice beer. I love their website, they have all the pertinent info right there. One of the oldest breweries in Europe. This is a world class beer for sure. Very nice taste and finish. But honestly, it's not much different from Heineken and when I can get Heineken for half the price; well... I'm fine with the Heiny.

Food Pairings - honestly, pretty much everything. A great dinner beer.

4.52/5  rDev +23.2%

poured from the bottle into an imperial pint glass

A- straw yellow with a big white head from an aggressive pour. very little lacing on the glass. A good looking German beir

S- exactly what a german should smell like. some confuse a skunk smell with a perfectly balanced offering from Munich. This beir was the later.

T- wonderful, a sheer joy. crisp and clean with a balance of hops. Perfect smooth finish. I think I am in love.

M- just what this style should, be thin with some carbonation adding to the ease of drinkablility.

D- the ultimate easy drinker. So crisp so refreshing, this my friends is what a Munich Helles lager should be like.

If you ever find yourself saying " I want something similar to (although slightly different style) a Heineken, but good" - this is your beer. This is one of my go to beirs.

This is one of the finest beirs on the planet, a monumental achivement.

Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu