Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager)Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager)

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website

Munich Helles Lager |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 11-08-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) Alström Bros
Reviews: 583 | Hads: 1,290
4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

pours a very clear light gold with a half inch white head that fades quickly and leaves no lacing. smell is slightly fruity with a pine hop scent also. taste slightly fruity and nice hop finish. mouthfeel dry crisp light. nice easy beer to drink with a good hop bite.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

pretty tasty lager. pours nice rich color with three quarters inch of head. good steady carbonation. smells nice and full, malts, grass, hops...nice. tastes better than i expected. nice malt and hop mix with lingering yet subtle hop finish. this was enjoyable enough that i had three in a row.

suckem up and movem out.

4.35/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured into a glass mug. Pours pale golden with a two-finger length white head. Plenty of lacing is left on the glass. The aroma is of lightly toasted barley malt and hops. There's a mild citrus aroma. There are flavor is sweet, bready, with notes of citrus and some hop bitterness. It's a very well balanced flavor and it's delicious. The mouthfeel is light. It's crisp with adequate carbonation. The finish is dry. It's very refreshing. This is an excellent lager and deserves top ratings for this style.

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one surprised me. Friend drank the Optimator, but I am not a big fan of heavy beers so I thought I would try their Lager with a friend. Used standard beer mugs chilled and after first taste, we both looked at each other with surprise at how good it went down.

It had a good head, with a nice and not overpowering hoppy smell and just the right amount of carbonation for my liking. The taste is surprising, as it is a very smooth beer going down, as opposed to a sharp taste of my regular beer, Pacifico, with no bitter aftertaste.

I use this often as a celebration beer as an alternative to Pacifico, my regular daily beer. This beer was a pleasant surprise and is definitely a beer I would drink again.

4.4/5  rDev +19.9%

In a US pint glass.

Pale clear straw, small white head.

S: fresh barley, fresh cut hay, some hops.

T: Very smooth, a sort of powderyness. Like nose, fresh barley. Sweet. Slight hops at the end. Tastes kind of like bread.

MF: Very nice, good carbonation, but maybe on the low side for a pale-colored lager.

D: Very Very good lager. Sweet and fresh and enough hops. Extremely drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev +19.9%

This is one of those beers that I could (and have) drink an insane amount of. I have more than once, after all, knocked out one of those 5 litre mini-kegs of this stuff by myself in 2 hours or so. This stuff pours a golden straw colour with a white foamy head that subsides after a few minutes. The nose is quite mild with pleasantly noticeable amounts of both hops and malt, though malt does seem to dominate. The taste of the beer is quite malty with a pleasantly bitter hops "kick" on the finish. Lack of huge carbonation makes this easy to drink and have a smooth mouthfeel. There's a ton of Beck's fans out there, but in my opinion, in the way of German lagers, Spaten is König.

4.43/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pale gold color, clear. Lots of fine bubble rising up. Thick bright white head. Leaves very nice lacing behind.

Sweet, bready, biscuit, lightly spicy hops, crisp.

Breadiness up front, rich, biscuit, cracker, slight caramel. Hop bitterness is mild to medium, it's sharp, spicy-herbal. Clean dry finish. Body is light, soft, clean, crisp, refreshing, lively carbonated.

It's an excellent beer. Rich, tasty, highly drinkable.

4.43/5  rDev +20.7%

This beer has a very special space in my heart with Warsteiner since they were the two beers that changed my appreciation and taste for other beers. Pours an excellent golden color into a Spaten mug. Awesome aroma of malty bread and some grain. Excellent carbonation and crispiness. The hops come in near the end with a very nice smooth, crisp dry finish that lingers for a little bit. I love this beer. A great session lager. I think I will go and buy some more right now.

4.45/5  rDev +21.3%

Tested on a rainy afternoon in may 2010. Poured in a FCBayern-Pilsener glass. Denotes a bright golden color, oil type, thin head of foam with acceptable duration and retention. In the smell, is a blend of floral and herbal hops. The taste have the same hops with some extra biscuity malt and olive oil. The mouthfeel is extra-crunchy, off of thirst, medium bitterness with a bittersweet finish, smooth body. In the drinkability, is the second "most crisp" beer i have taste (after Corona Extra), by far the best munich helles lager style.

4.48/5  rDev +22.1%

A very nice surprise at the Schmankerl Stube Bavarian haus in Hagerstown Maryland last night. I'm usually drinking the Hefe or Marzen. Schmankerl has changed over to Spaten recently, as well, and I guess I'd just never gotten this one, on-tap.

A= very nice luscious rich-golden, with a white medium head foam typical of a lager.

S= very very nice on the nose, or maybe it's just what I happened to be looking for-- a good old traditional lager with some whiffs of sweet malts and traces of grassy notes with a complimentary presence of hops, in-balance.

T= an interesting bouquet in the first instant-taste, pronounced and yet not intrusive, followed quickly by a splash of honey sweetness, then all of it seeming to combine into a combined-wholeness. Nice carbonation, medium rather than tiny bubbles and yet not an over-amount of filling carbonation. Goes down nicely, didn't leave me feeling belchy.

M= very nice, clean, and it went well with the entire meal from bread to goulash to salad to sweet-sour Sauerbraten and everything in between.

D= totally drinkable.

4.49/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into pilsener glass.

Have been drinking this stuff for a while now. Without a doubt my favorite non-bock Lager. So tasty, so refreshing. I had seen it many times, but didn't decide to try it until a friend of a friend who has a similar appreciation for German beer highly recommended it.

A - Looks like a normal lager. Not made for it's looks. Yellow-amber with lot' of carbonation present. Head varies based on freshness, but even with one that's a bit on the older side, you can still form a head with some aggression in the pour.

S - Smooth and mild malts. More hops than similar lagers, and just a tad of dankness. The way a European Lager should smell, IMO.

T - Delicious. Perfect amount of refreshment and taste. Malt up front with hops shortly afterwards. A touch of the dank smell is noticed in the taste, but not in a skuky way that you often find w/ Heineken or Pilsner Urquell. This stuff always tastes fresh. This stuff isn't complicated like an IPA or American Strong ale, but it's perfect for what it is : a tasty, refreshing lager.

F - The perfect beer for refreshment. So good after a workout. Crisp and tasty, the carbonation tingle is perfect. Easy on the throat and stomach.

O - Again, one of my favorite beers overall. I realize that lager's get a bit of an unfair bummed rap around here, but you have to remember, there are plenty of excellent lagers out there. The fact that most crap American beers are lagers plays into this negative stereotype, which I think is wrong. This beer has a perfect amount of taste and refreshment. The ultimate (and my favorite) session beer, and one of my Top 5 overall. Highly recommended for any Lager fans, or anyone who likes to session with quality, tasty beer.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

Looks more or less like the other Munich pale lagers.
Smells rich and malty, with some spicy hops.
Taste is fuller with richer malts than Paulaner and Hofbrau, and is also somewhat more bitter than those two.
The best Munich helles lager easily, and cheaply, found in these parts.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

Spotted this the other day at my local beer shop and bought a 6 to take home. Despite the fact that I did not have this beer in years, it was a welcome experience.

Poured into a 16 Oz mug and it had a nice golden color. Head did not last long but the lacing was decent. Had a spicy, sweet floral aroma and taste.

Mouthfeel and drinkability scored high in my book and this is definitely a refreshing beer I will keep around the house.

4.51/5  rDev +22.9%

I realize I am new to beer, but I love this one! So smooth & easy. It is a lovely color with great bubbles. It drinks very easy with a good mouth feel. I originally had it in a German restaurant with an order of spaetzle. I have had it since without food just as an evening beer & was still very pleased.
I only wish it didn't have to be special ordered where I live...

4.51/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poor - from a 12oz bottle - Nice easy poor, about a finger soapy head. Head settles down quickly to a thin top lacing. Very light lacing on the sides.

Appearance - 14k gold/straw, light amber. Very clear, almost no carbonation.

Nose - Very nice. Light Bohemian pilsner barley malt; bready/biscuit. Very nice light Hallertau, floral/grass/lemon. Very balanced, very light pleasant, rounded nose.

Mouthfeel - light, a little fizzy, a little watery... easy drinking.

Taste - Very balanced German/Bavarian pils/lager. What more is there to say, nothing really. Atypical Euro/German/Bavarian Pils/Lager. Pils barley malt, Hallertau hops, well balanced; a little grain, a little grass/floral/lemon. Nice light bitterness. No sweetness really, like in a Heineken.

Finish - Very nice light lasting finish. No off flavors. Floral, sour lemon. Dry, granny smith apple crisp.

Overall - Very nice beer. I love their website, they have all the pertinent info right there. One of the oldest breweries in Europe. This is a world class beer for sure. Very nice taste and finish. But honestly, it's not much different from Heineken and when I can get Heineken for half the price; well... I'm fine with the Heiny.

Food Pairings - honestly, pretty much everything. A great dinner beer.

4.52/5  rDev +23.2%

poured from the bottle into an imperial pint glass

A- straw yellow with a big white head from an aggressive pour. very little lacing on the glass. A good looking German beir

S- exactly what a german should smell like. some confuse a skunk smell with a perfectly balanced offering from Munich. This beir was the later.

T- wonderful, a sheer joy. crisp and clean with a balance of hops. Perfect smooth finish. I think I am in love.

M- just what this style should, be thin with some carbonation adding to the ease of drinkablility.

D- the ultimate easy drinker. So crisp so refreshing, this my friends is what a Munich Helles lager should be like.

If you ever find yourself saying " I want something similar to (although slightly different style) a Heineken, but good" - this is your beer. This is one of my go to beirs.

This is one of the finest beirs on the planet, a monumental achivement.

4.55/5  rDev +24%

Reviewed on April 21.

A: Clear, yellow liquid with an airy, crisp head. Lovely "classic lager"-foam. A lot of CO2, looks great!

S: Lager yeast, pilsner malt, swedish hard bread (knäckebröd) and weak citrus aroma.

T: Sweet pilsner malts and great bready taste. I love malty bread taste in a lager so this is right up my alley. Some syrup taste after half a bottle, still very nice. No unpleasant surprises, not even after the last sip.

M: Light and crisp. Just like a lager's supposed to be. Thumbs up

D: 100% drinkable! Great thirst quencher and goes down very easily. Probably my favorite bavarian hell atm.

...and it's quite cheap here in Sweden! How do they do it? :)

4.55/5  rDev +24%

Looks decent enough for a lager yellow in colour with a white head.

This smells skunky with an aroma of hops and flowers. Some people don't like the green bottle skunk but I do.

Tastes great, probably my favourite lager. Its got bitter hops and is somewhat complex.

Nicely carbonated and refreshing.

A good session beer and a definite step up from the usual lager.

4.6/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

16 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Crystal-clear golden yellow color, with a thick off-white head that lasts for quite a while.

Smell: Great spices, grains, a tad bit of fruit, and a dash of hops.

Taste: It's like the smell, only better! Very well balanced and refreshing. My only complaint is that while there's a lot of interesting flavors, the complexity isn't very striking.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, very smooth. Just the right amount of carbonation as well.

Drinkability: An extremely drinkable lager that you could keep drinking all night.

This is certainly the best Munich Helles Lager that I've had (and I've tried a fair number). Better than the other in every respect: looks better, smell and taste is more balanced and/or "refined." Easy and nice to drink for practically any occasion. This will definitely be on my next shopping list.

4.68/5  rDev +27.5%

Ahhh, now this is how beer should taste. Who knew Spaten had it in them? The beer is really just freakin' fantastic. A strong malt presence with just enough earthy hops to balance out the beer leaving a sweet, but not too sweet taste. Really very subtle and extremely quaffable.

Man, this beer man, this beer. It is so freakin' tastey. A brainless drink, but man, does it ever taste good.

4.68/5  rDev +27.5%

I love this stuff! If you take a swig and hold it in your mouth you can clearly taste all the components...sweet and 'biscuity' malt, flavorful hops and pure, refreshing Alpine water.

German brewers really know what they're doing. They've managed to assemble a pretty big beer...about 2 ABV percentage points higher than products from our large brewers...and keep it flavorful and refreshing.

No one single ingredient has to overpower the others to let you know it's there. The brewers present them all to us equally and you get the sense that they've worked hard to make sure it comes out that way. When properly poured into a clean glass you get a fluffy, lasting head crowning the rich golden liquid that holds just the right amount of gassiness. Well done Spaten!

4.7/5  rDev +28.1%

A: Golden bright with good carbonation. Fine head with good head retention and lacing.

S: Light here. Not much in the way of hopiness but that's proper for the style.

T: Yes. Outstanding. Light grassy notes and extremely smooth. Some Sazz flavor with some malt evident.

M: Full to medium mouthfeel. Light enough as a session beer but still of the highest quality in a lager.

D: Shoooot. This is of the highest quality. I would put this up in there with the best of them. If this were a pils I'd say it wasn't hoppy enough but it's not. For this style an excellent beer!!

4.73/5  rDev +28.9%

This beer is amazing! It is what got me into the finer beers. Before I had a Spaten, my preconceptions of beer was that nasty stuff that is branded with names such as Miller and Budweiser. Not being a snob, but come on, can those brands really compare to this?! I absolutely love this beer!!!

Appearance - Pours clear and golden with a thin head and little lacing. Very nice looking. Some complain about the head and lacing but I don't look at beer...I drink it.

Smell - This is what a beer should smell like. The only way to describe it would be fresh and kinda grain like. No smell is particularly dominant.

Taste - Clean! Purity Law takes a bit of a new meaning with this one. This is very refreshing. Everything feels like it is in perfect balance with each other. I wish I could describe it better then just clean but it does have a little bitter bite at the end that is great.

Mouthfeel - Remember that thin head and little lacing? It is in there but it comes out in the mouthfeel. A bigger head means that the carbonization is wasted there instead of coming out in the mouthfeel. It has just the right amount of carbonization...if you poured it right that is.

Drinkability - Holy hell! This beer is very smooth, goes down very easy, does not fill me up, and does not disappoint. Each sip is better then the last and I can easily finish off a bottle and then plow through a few more. As long as it continues to find my mouth, then I am still drinking it. Spaten is to beer as Lay's is to potato chips...I can't have just one!

Get you some and enjoy with friends.

4.73/5  rDev +28.9%

Wow, I am from Germany and moved to Los Angeles. I had Krombacher and Wahrsteiner, but Spaten Premium Lager really kills it.

Might be the best Lager I ever had, with a light malty taste.

4.75/5  rDev +29.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A very drinkable, enjoyable beer. Smells inviting, tastes fresh and has a number of different taste themes all working together. Finishes clean with no unpleasant aftertaste. It just seems right to me and I would be hard pressed to order something else if this was available.

Spaten Münchner Hell (Premium Lager) from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu