1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Franziskaner Hefe-WeisseFranziskaner Hefe-Weisse

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-13-2001)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,714 | Reviews: 1,490 | Show All Ratings:
Bayern1971

4.75/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite Weiss beers. Up there with the Weihenstephaners, Ayingers and Andechers. Has more of a spicy flavor than other Weiss beers as I get more copper/metal from the hefe (that's yeast in english). The appearance is cloudy and golden like a great weiss beer. Mouthfeel is tangy and smooth at the same time. Taste is a touch spicier and sweeter than other weiss beers such as Hacker and Paulaner. That's a positive. I love this beer and so should you.
When Bayern Munich play in the Champions League, I drink these bad boys all match long (about 3 to 4 half-liters) at the local bar that has it on tap. The monk on the bottle? That's an original art-deco Ludwig Hohlwein painting from the '30s. Oh yeah, they don't call it "Hefe Weizen" in Bavaria. It's called Weissbier! Now you know and order accordingly when you're next in Munich!

04-12-2014 04:51:44 | More by Bayern1971
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

500ml bottle poured into pint glass 4/4/14

A cloudy light orange liquid that gets darker towards the center of the glass, streams of tiny bubbles everywhere, a couple fingers of bone white foam sits around for quite a while but only leaves a thick collar of lace

S banana, bubblegum, clove, cereal and a little citrus, has that straightforward classic smell that you expect from the style

T yeasty banana bread in a glass, again all the classic pieces are in place, a little yeasty compared to the nose but not a big difference

M has some weight to it upon entry and explodes but stops short of foam and creams up completely, slick on the palate with dried banana chips on the finish

O a solid example of the style straight up and down, has the textbook Hefe-Weisse notes from start to finish

I could smash these on a hot day with no problems, a classic Hefe that everyone should try at least once and I might not have known about it if it wasn't for the Beers of Fame list

04-04-2014 04:40:26 | More by wordemupg
Mikecap

Louisiana

3.89/5  rDev -4.2%

16.9 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy golden orange with two fingers of frothy white head.

S: Banana and clove dominate, with some citrus tones, bread and yeast. Right on for the style.

T: As expected a nice bready taste with banana and clove and citrus undertones. Very light hop bitterness comes through as well.

M: Light bodied, smooth and refreshing. Easy drinking with low bitterness and spot on carbonation.

O: A really solid hefe that hits the spot on a hot day. Well done and glad I finally tried.

03-31-2014 01:17:49 | More by Mikecap
zee3are0

4.75/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was my first beer that wasn't mass-produced American crap. I had just moved to Italy, and at a small pizza place, I decided to order the most German looking beer on the menu. The waiter poured it over a small orange slice in a tall hefe glass, then swirled the bottom and poured the wheat/yeast grub into the glass.

I've been addicted to "good" beer ever since.

03-30-2014 22:32:19 | More by zee3are0
Cavanaghty

Maine

3.99/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Thank you to my brother for bringing thos one home from Germany for me to try.

Appearance: Hazy amber color with a thick white head, the head lingered but was thinner and no lacing.

Smell: Strong but plesant cloves, grass/wheat, hops, and citrus.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium to light bodied. Taste of hops, cloves and earthy grassy notes and some citrus.

Overall: Excellent beer!

03-26-2014 21:52:50 | More by Cavanaghty
black_crow

I would say that is the number one beer in the world. The taste is perfect, the smell is perfect...

You can buy this beer in the US too. I am pretty sure.. it is a global-player. Drink it cold! I got one in Beverly Hills (Bar Nineteen 12). It is a dream!

03-12-2014 02:43:49 | More by black_crow
12packnight

4.78/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my all time favorites. Been drinking it for years. Love the 'Thick' Hefe mouthfeel and the essence of banana and clove. The Monk on the front of the bottle takes away any guilt I may have of drinking too many. I still do not find this beer generally available everywhere here in Illinois. Good in the summer after a day of gardening, or good in the winter while working out in the garage.

02-27-2014 23:03:14 | More by 12packnight
superspak

4.1/5  rDev +1%

500 ml bottle into weizen glass, bottled on 6/11/2013. Pours very hazy golden amber color with a 2 finger dense white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a large amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of big banana, pear, apple, lemon zest, clove, wheat, bubblegum, bread, herbal, grass, and yeast earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great complexity and balance of fruity/spicy yeast and malt notes; with good strength. Taste of big banana, pear, apple, lemon zest, bubblegum, clove, wheat, bread, herbal, grass, and yeast earthiness. Lingering notes of banana, pear, apple, bubblegum, clove, wheat, bread, herbal, floral, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Damn nice robustness and complexity of malt, and fruity/spicy yeast ester flavors; with a great malt/yeast balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium-high carbonation and medium bodied; with a lightly creamy, smooth, and moderately crisp mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with no warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent hefeweizen. All around great balance and complexity of fruity/spicy yeast and malt flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

02-23-2014 04:03:06 | More by superspak
leonGomez

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

This is one of the few go to Brews I buy on a regular basis. Just the label of the Monk or Friar had me sold when I saw it. This is one good weissbier that is easily accessible in NYC. What I enjoy the most of this bier is the cloudy color and the amazing taste that does not overwhelms the tastebuds but instead leaves you wanting more. I could write all day long on this one but is up to you to go out and taste it yourself.

p.s: Drink a lot of them.

Leon.

-No need to do all that fancy review $*@!

01-11-2014 05:06:50 | More by leonGomez
Franziskaner

Missouri

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

One of my first favorite beers. Half inch thick layer off bright white tightly packed small foam on top. Lightly cloudy golden hued brew. Lush banana dominated nose with a hint of clove. The banana notes carry well into the flavor along with a light wheat component. The fade moves into a gentle bit of clove. The mouthfeel is gentle and yet moderately carbonated.

01-11-2014 04:04:59 | More by Franziskaner
Durhambeer

Love this beer. It's tastes like cloves and has perfect carbonation. So smooth and taste great. I drank this beer about thirty minutes ago and still have a slight clove taste in my mouth. Hummm. Color was perfect and made a nice foamy top when I poured it. This was my first time to try this beer and its my new favorite

12-28-2013 02:38:52 | More by Durhambeer
BeerlyLegal87

Maryland

4.61/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

This has a cloudy, gold-yellow appearance with a nice medium-thick white head. The smell gives off hints of the nice fruity flavor to come. In the taste battle between fruity and wheaty, fruity wins out by just a tad, and it makes for near perfection. The mouthfeel is nice and smooth. I really enjoy this beer, and the first word that comes to mind when thinking about it is refreshing.

12-24-2013 23:32:33 | More by BeerlyLegal87
Amador

Visual: Golden straw yellow and cloudy, not clear.
Aroma : Smells very malty, sweet, and banana scent present.
Taste: Has a nice sweet taste to it and it's not really bitter. Not too hoppy and has a banana taste.
Mouth feel: It has a nice lace to it, and it has a medium thickness. It's very carbonated so you fell the carbonation in your taste buds.

Overall: The beer is very refreshing and it is perfect with greasy food. It has a very nice smell and great taste. So far this has been the best Hef that I've tasted.

12-01-2013 17:25:21 | More by Amador
nevillejohn

District of Columbia

4.34/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle -> Chalice

Pours a hazy unfiltered looking solid gold color. Medium head last a little while.

Smells of banana and cloves. Very pungent.

Tastes like is smells. Delicious, fruity but with distinct noticeable malt.

Mouthfeel is really great. Perfect carbonation. Just enough weight, but perhaps a little on the filling side if you drink a lot. Perhaps a little too grainy and the sweetness sticks to your mouth some but it's not unpleasant.

Excellent overall. Would recommend to anyone.

10-29-2013 02:55:20 | More by nevillejohn
wfrank002

Love this beer. Just simply the best. I can drink this all day and every day and night. It has a great taste and smell. Can be drank during any season. Try this beer because it's the nector of the gods. Just thinking about it makes me want one of theose bad boys.it is that goood

10-25-2013 09:43:21 | More by wfrank002
CSFerrier

Kansas

3.91/5  rDev -3.7%

A major pro of this beer is that it's around 2.50 for a pint bottle. Everything helps.

The appearance is of course perfect. Most Weiss biers are gorgeous, this one is no exception.

The smell is outstanding, everything I hoped it would be.

The taste is not as strong as I had hoped. Of the many Weiss biers I've had, this one seems almost a little weak. Just not as flavorful as something like Weihanstephaner. Still quite good though.

The mouthfeel is also lacking, good, but not that amazing. Doesn't linger very long. What it does leave is good, just not enough I think.

Overall, I think it's a very good beer.

10-15-2013 00:56:56 | More by CSFerrier
AiK

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%

A - Hazy, golden yellow, medium head, nice lacing

S - Typical Hefe aroma with hint of banana

T - Delicious wheat flavor, yeasty

M - Light bodied as to be expected given the style, solid carbonation

O - I love this beer! Pretty much opened the door on wheats for me which I had closed a while back. Will definitely be drinking this again.

09-21-2013 22:55:09 | More by AiK
Fear4Beer

Delaware

4.26/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This review is for the Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse beer. The bottle says that it is 355ml aka 12oz. I love me some wheat beers! This one was very good. I served it in a wheat beer glass (the way its meant to be consumed). After the head dissipated I took my first sip and I have to say this is a great beer! I Loved it. You can get some yeast, bread, banana, and spices (typical hefe notes). I drank this beer very cold, I think that's how this should be consumed. It is a refreshing beer so consume it cold to cool you down. The Franziskaner was about $1.50 for a 12oz bottle. I also drank an Ayinger Bräu Weisse right before I drank this beer. I felt like the Ayinger was just smoother and more enjoyable. It was bubbly like champagne in the mouth. The negative to the Ayinger is that it cost me $3.50 a bottle (16.9oz).

Make no mistake, this Franziskaner is a top beer! It is a better buy in my opinion than the Ayinger. I'd drink this beer no problem. I just felt it didn't have as much flavor? That could be my fault... being drunk and eating food could have skewed my palate. I drank the Ayinger while sober. :)

My reviews are more mental notes for me. I don't really care about smells, appearance, etc. Just the overall taste.

09-10-2013 04:51:05 | More by Fear4Beer
ChrisC1970

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

This is probably one of my all-time favorite beers and is also an easy go-to when you don't have time to compare or if you experience any indecision. It's a perfect hefe and should be appreciated and consumed with respect to the drinking experience.

Visually, a beautiful golden yellow-orange with a sound head. Serve it in a classic Hefe glass or even a chalice.

Either on tap or in the bottle, it is delicious during any season as it pleases all year 'round.

Pair it with a light & crisp pizza or any shellfish dish. Good appetizer beer with roasted potatoes, tacos, cured meats and lighter cheeses (goat, feta). With excellent carbonation, your palate will be cleaned and ready for the next bite.

09-06-2013 17:06:34 | More by ChrisC1970
Jdbateman83

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

An excellent hefE-weisse. Very nice mouth feel. Not very bitter. Chewy, good amount of wheat, grain, and silt. Not to the level of Weihenstephaner, but I do love this beer and will order it again. Not as smooth as other hefs, has allot of complexity to it.

09-01-2013 03:41:03 | More by Jdbateman83
JMSDUN

Ireland

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Thick, foamy head, lasted as long as it took to drink. Full bodied, Very little bite. Hints of citrus. Cloudy, deep orange appearance, quite yeasty which I like. A very decent witbier, A good substitute for Hoegaarden. For me personally, Its more widely available, I would advise buying over any other widely available macro.

08-27-2013 22:24:27 | More by JMSDUN
Tebuken

Argentina

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Pale cloudy beer with a nice white everlasting foam, some laces are left behind.Aroma shows fruits and wheat.Its taste is very wheaty, a bit sweet and bready, cloves are present too..Bitterness almost not present.Medium bodied with a nice mouthfeel, very refreshing beer.

08-10-2013 14:05:14 | More by Tebuken
Hermanater

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

I am not a fan of Wheat beers in general but this was the beer that changed my mind. I first had this beer on tap but am reviewing it from the bottle.

AP: pale, cloudiness like one would expect, almost cider-colored.

SM: Yeast dominates the aromas coming off the pour. Almost metallic (but in a good/rising bread kinda way)

M: very light on the tongue but certainly not lacking in flavor. Smooth.

T: the truest form of liquid bread I've ever had. The beer isn't trying to hide behind any spice or fruit additives at all.

I highly recommend.

07-20-2013 19:59:22 | More by Hermanater
NiceTaps

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

On tap in the proper glassware.

A- Hazy, unfiltered golden color with a touch of orange hue. Slim white head tapered to a lasting film and left some lacing.

S- Light and airy citrus fruit and spice. The wheat comes through gently.

T-Citrus fruit, lemony. Some banana and spice, wheat.

M-Cool and smooth. No bitterness, yet tart from the generous carbonation and citrus. It has some yeasty funk that I like.

O- Light and easy drinking, yet full flavored. Well balanced and not too dry. Solid wheat beer.

07-13-2013 14:28:08 | More by NiceTaps
hansavijaticar

Croatia (Hrvatska)

3.76/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Hazy gold to orange, lasting foam on top.

S: Lemony, some banana, even orange, wheat.

T: Strongly carbonated, somewhat close to orange drinks like Fanta (!), sweet and just a bit sour, highly refreshing.

M: Banana flavour stronger few seconds after.

O: Very good. Not my favorite hefeweizen (Weihenstephaner and Kapuziner have more delicate taste and still are my favourites in this style), but still highly recomendable. Somewhere in the league with Paulaner, Maisel's Weisse and Tucher hefeweizen. More carbonated than most of outstanding wheat bears, therefore ideal for thirsty warm days.

07-13-2013 07:38:51 | More by hansavijaticar