Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Franziskaner Hefe-WeisseFranziskaner Hefe-Weisse

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-13-2001)
Reviews by JTomczak:

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

This is continuosly one of my favorite hefes in the world,pours a deep yellow/orange color with a very nice big blooming head.The aroma is yeasty and I always got somewhat of a smokey aroma from it with some banana clove presence.The taste is refreshing and a little lemony to go along with some nice spiciness.This is the first hefe I think of when thinking of good German style wheat beers.

3.03/5  rDev -25.6%

Appearance - This one came out a cloudy yellowish-orange in color with a white, moderate head on a painful pour from the bartender.

Smell - The nice even yeast aroma is pleasant and contrasts well with the orange lemon accents. The spicing here smells a little more Belgian than German.

Taste - The orange zest overpowers at the taste. It's not a bad flavor but it is a bit too zesty like the lemon was brewed right in with the beer.

Mouthfeel - This is in between light and medium-bodied with a spritzy type of carbonation.

Drinkability - This was refreshing enough but was not even in the same league as the bottle-conditioned version.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

4.26/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This review is for the Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse beer. The bottle says that it is 355ml aka 12oz. I love me some wheat beers! This one was very good. I served it in a wheat beer glass (the way its meant to be consumed). After the head dissipated I took my first sip and I have to say this is a great beer! I Loved it. You can get some yeast, bread, banana, and spices (typical hefe notes). I drank this beer very cold, I think that's how this should be consumed. It is a refreshing beer so consume it cold to cool you down. The Franziskaner was about $1.50 for a 12oz bottle. I also drank an Ayinger Bräu Weisse right before I drank this beer. I felt like the Ayinger was just smoother and more enjoyable. It was bubbly like champagne in the mouth. The negative to the Ayinger is that it cost me $3.50 a bottle (16.9oz).

Make no mistake, this Franziskaner is a top beer! It is a better buy in my opinion than the Ayinger. I'd drink this beer no problem. I just felt it didn't have as much flavor? That could be my fault... being drunk and eating food could have skewed my palate. I drank the Ayinger while sober. :)

My reviews are more mental notes for me. I don't really care about smells, appearance, etc. Just the overall taste.

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

On tap at the Oak Cafe. Pours a soft shade of gold with some honey-yellow that shows itself when held up to any amount of light. There's a very light translucency to the beer, although it's still mostly hazy as I would expect most original hefeweizens to be. The frothy, off-white head settles quicker than expected, despite its large size. Moderate lacing was left behind.

There are plenty of fruity esters in the aroma of Franziskaner's Hefe to please those who enjoy their German beers a little sweeter or fruitier. Some spice and clove are definitely there, just a bit more buried than usual. The ripe banana, soft wheat, and residual sugar-like sweetness are in overdrive, along with maybe a slight hint of cereal grains at the very tail end. As with most hefes, the yeast steals the show, and that's how it should be.

Slightly to my surprise, the flavor of Franziskaner's Hefe as it hits my palate is a bit lighter and less robust than the aroma; they don't "pop" or rock my palate like I know they are capable of, and it's mildly upsetting. The flavors available on my tongue are pretty nice, however, consisting of a bit of banana and light pear and goes hand-in-hand with an ever-so-faint tartness. Yeast esters go wild, as well, including spice, clove, and a touch of white pepper.

The yeast profile plays nicely with the huge wheat-and-grain background upon which this beer is built. Somewhere around the middle, a pretty mild mustiness comes into play - my guess would be from the hops, and they seem to be of the Noble variety, although I'm just throwing that out there. The smooth and creamy mouth feel of this hefe feels nice, although the body could stand to be a bit thicker. Medium-heavy carbonation with a yeast-filled and wheat soaked aftertaste.

Very enjoyable and easy drinking - this one will go down like a champ, no doubt. It's a bit sweeter and less spicy than I personally like my hefeweizens, but I'm sure there are people out there who find this profile more suitable for their palate. As always, your mileage may vary. This is still a great-tasting and well crafted beer, although when stuff like Weihenstephaner's Hefeweissbier is just as available and around the same price, it would be hard to choose this one again.

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This a classic looking cloudy straw-colored beer with big rocky white head. Lovely. Aromas are very muted and they are of yeast and clove. This hefe has a bigger banana flavor than most, but an even bigger berry/ strawberry flavor chases it for a delicious combo on the palate that is called back by a slight hop twang and just a whisp of clove in the finish. This is great beer with a wonderful interplay of classic flavors. Citrus character is notabley abcent and I find I don't miss it. In fact, its almost more refreshing without. Very true to style, but still stands out. This is one of the best wheat beers I've ever had.

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a single bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a beautiful hazy golden color with a thick white foamy head of at least an inch. Retention is superb with great lacing down the glass. I can't imagine a better look for a Hefe!

S: Elegant aromas of wheat, malt and citrus hops come together very nicely. Nothing real pungent here but very nice.

T&M: Light wheat & malt engulf the tongue with a fantastic creamy texture that slowly ebbs to to the finish. The initial rush of flavor has a hint of sweetness but the balance is so even with the light hops that slowly fade together. Very nice. The finish is quick and clean, with the tail end of the experience slipping away to a slightly wateriness and then... gone. The carbonation is fine and lively, contributing to the white fluffy and persistent head on this brew. Light on the tongue, perfectly balanced, and very satisfying.

D: I can't think of a better time to enjoy this than after a hot day in the sun. It has just the right amount of wheat, malt, and hops and there is no "wheat chafe" aftertaste. Very enjoyable and very much recommended.

Beer review from BA Mag Aug 2007.

Going back to 1363, Franziskaner is one of Munich's oldest privately owned breweries; but today, they're currently owned by Spaten/InBev. Regardless of their affiliation, this is some old-school Weissbier. They also brew a Dunkel (dark) version, but we'll be tasting the Hell (bright).

Pours extremely cloudy--as per the style--with sunny hues ranging from amber to dark orange, topped with a frothy foam head that rests to a respectful lacing. Banana esters and phenolic clove-like aromas pique interest and entice the palate. Super-creamy, with a crisp edge of carbonation and a light, but firm body. Some lemony citrus strikes from the moderate hopping, just enough, and it works well with the carbonation. Distinct "wheaty" flavor and feel. Light banana and a dashing of powdery clove add depth. Soft caramel and bready notes beneath, with a hint of hop leaf toward the drying finish.

If the estery and phenolic style of Weissbiers is your thing, this is truly a classic among the style--well balanced and extremely drinkable. No lemon required.

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

A truly awesome Heffe. This one poured a deep cloudy yellow with a medium sized head that lasted awhile before settling into a nice pillow on top of the beer. The smell was slighly of grain but the yeast shone through as well as the light honey scent. The taste was fantastic with a huge bananna flavor, and a slight citrus flavor in the backround. I think this was a very fresh keg because this beer was outstanding. Highly recommended.

4.76/5  rDev +17%