2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Franziskaner Hefe-WeisseFranziskaner Hefe-Weisse

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-13-2001)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,717 | Reviews: 1,491 | Show All Ratings:
kegerator

Maryland

3.25/5  rDev -20%

poured out a nice hazy golden yellow color.
the head was a nice 1 inch and fairly creamy in appearance.
quite nice to look at
smell - clove, and some fruitiness and wheaty
taste, this one hit big with a clove up front then finished off with some light fruitiness, not overly balanced in my opinion. The clove to me was not very refreshing as a hefe would tend to be with more sweetness..
mouthfeel was carbonation and the head seemed more fizzy then creamy in the mouth
all in all it was a decent beer, but I was not blown away based on what I expected. I tried it once by floating a small lemon slice, it was better in my opinion, becasue that helped to ward off the big clove flavor.

05-11-2004 19:50:19 | More by kegerator
HardTarget

3.25/5  rDev -20%

Bottle Inspection: Green 12 oz. bottle, no useful information at all, not even a marketing blurb.

Aroma: Yeasty, some light pepper noted, soft grain background

Appearance: Hazy dirty blond glass sports a respectable finger of bright white head that gives a fair coat of lace.

Flavor: Fruit flavors come out in the taste, classic banana and light ripe fruit esters with hints of clove.

Mouthfeel: Lively carbonation on the edge of fizzy, medium bodied, slowly fading finish

Overall Impression: Put it back to back with a Hacker-Pschorr Hefe, this seems a bit heavier and subdued. Still, shows all the classic characteristics of a Hefe. Not as much of a thirst quencher here, a bit more of a meal. Still, enjoyable.

02-03-2006 05:04:50 | More by HardTarget
ClassicBrad

3.25/5  rDev -20%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Saw this for about $3 in a 1 Pt. 9 oz. foil-topped bottle. Had to go for it..

Hazy golden to amber sunburst in color, with a nice fluffy head that doesn't seem to stand a chance because when I looked back, it was gone.

Smell is a strong banana smell with notes of wheat and yeast.

My first sip was a mimick of the banana, yeast and wheat notes that that nose had prepared me for. Very banana-y... and its nice.

Mouthfeel is utterly delightful. I can't put my tongue (haha, no pun... well, maybe a little bit) on it but its simply a DELIGHTFUL mouthfeel.

Drinkability, while I'm not the biggest fan of this style, is pretty average. I think it is a good brew to help people who don't care much for the style to begin experimentation in, but still a selective taste for those who aren't into the hefes.

04-10-2007 00:29:50 | More by ClassicBrad
Nascartailgatefa

3.25/5  rDev -20%

Bottle from Thrifty Beverage Chester, NY.

Poured into a Pilsner glass. Very murky gold color. One finger head, minor lacing. A yeasty smell, slightly earthy.

Taste is a bit doughy and a little sour for my taste. Not bad, just not my particular taste. As such, it is a little less drinkable than others in the category in my opinion.

02-08-2009 19:35:10 | More by Nascartailgatefa
rangerred

Tennessee

3.25/5  rDev -20%

12oz bottle into a weizen glass.

Pours a hazy brownish orange with a one finger head. Pretty poor head retention and lacing.

Smell is quite yeasty with loads of clove coming through along with a light musty odor. A small amount of bubblegum and orange too.

Taste has a lot of bubblegum and clove but not a whole lot of orange. A definite yeasty quality is there but nothing is present in large amounts. Honesty it taste really watered down. Mouthfeel is extremely watery.

Overall I was a little disappointed by this beer. I'm not sure how fresh it was but I have had much better hefe's. Might have to revisit it sometime.

04-19-2012 21:29:48 | More by rangerred
Stubbie1

Connecticut

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

This hefe-weisse bier pours your typical cloudy yellow with a thick white head. The head gives away to a decent lace. The aroma is more yeast and cloves. A very faint banana smell is also included. The taste is typical, nothing special, a wheat/malt flavor with the yeast tones involved. Very drinkable, overall an nice average beer of this style

08-16-2003 23:44:17 | More by Stubbie1
rousee

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours a nice gold straw with a slight wheat murkiness. Decent 1 inch cap forms quickly. Nothing negative so far, except that it usually leaves better lace on the glass. The nose is standard hefe-weisse --wheat, yeast, malt, fruit essences like banana and orange-coriander too.

I have to say right off that I have had this same beer in this same downtown Boston pub and it has tasted better than it did tonight. Taste is fairly standard for the style: nice malt and yeast. Fruity orange and coriander with some clove like elements. Lacking the freshness it has had on other occasions. Maybe its just the end of the Summer and the hefe-weisses are not as good (or fresh) now.

Mouthfeel is smooth and fruity..nothing negative.
Drinkability is another area where this beer can be exceptional but wasn't tonight. I hardly finished one and my associate didn't finish theirs.

09-01-2004 02:58:01 | More by rousee
shaggy151

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

This beer poured a hazy golden color with a thick head. The beer smelled mostly of citrus and banana. The taste was of bananas with a spicy finish. It has a mostly smooth and creamy feel but the carbonation is a bit heavy. I could drink this again, nice beer to have on a hot day.

12-10-2006 00:20:05 | More by shaggy151
alexskovan

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured a pale orange with a fine-grained white head. Strong -- almost pungent -- aroma of cloves and raisins. Later this gave way to coriander and orange after the head collapsed a bit. Taste is a bit harsh with carbonation up front, then a bittersweet pang of orange and a surprisingly bitter finish for a Hefe.

02-28-2007 23:54:36 | More by alexskovan
fastfwd

Oklahoma

3.2/5  rDev -21.2%

This was my first beer of the wheat variety. I think maybe I should have chosen a wheat with no yeast before I tried this style. It poured out looking like a monster of a beer with big white head. While the beer was super creamy I felt like it was just a little slimy and kept reminding me of egg yolks. Not a very hoppy beer, but it had enough to keep it from tasting flat. After drinking the rest of the six pack I came to the conclusion that I didn't feel like it was a bad beer, just not a style that I was used to and maybe I would like it better with more experience.

05-18-2003 17:41:29 | More by fastfwd
Bowdoinbeerboy

Maine

3.2/5  rDev -21.2%

Appearance- Very bright yellow color. Lots of active carbonation and not a great deal of head.

Smell- Not a lot going on here, maybe the beer is just too cold but there doesnt seem to be a great deal of nose at all.

Taste- Very creamy like I would expect from a hefewissen, not anywhere near as fruity as I would expect, in fact its almost sour.

Mouthfeel- Good creaminess, above average for sure.

Drinkability- Not too bad but not one of the better hefeweissens I have had.

11-02-2008 21:13:29 | More by Bowdoinbeerboy
wcintula

3.2/5  rDev -21.2%

I poured this baby beer into a glass from a bottle and immediately the head erupted into a billowy, pillow-y cloudy cushion of heaven. The body was a nice semi-transparent cloudy golden wheat color.

A strong smell of sweet citrus, cloves and wheat is inhaled as I lean closer.

Cloves, cloves, cloves from the front to the back. Equal strength taste of wheat. Spicy and sweet.

My tongue and throat tingle from all the carbonation. It's too much for me. I get a phlegm-y build up(from yeast? or wheat?) as if drinking a large glass of chocolate milk or some soda with fructose corn syrup. I'm not saying this is an ingredient, I may just be prone to this condition.

Heavy beer. Feels like a loaf of bread sitting in my stomach. I can drink a few of these, but then I'm done. Because I'm just full. I envy you if you enjoy this beer more than me. I think there are many better beers out there.

06-02-2010 04:13:53 | More by wcintula
ZimZamZoom

West Virginia

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

Poured, swirled, poured.

Hazy wheat color, White head that is small and has minimal lacing. Aroma of wheat malt, some banana and clove notes, a bit metallic.

Taste has the same metallic note, the banana and clove are present with a nice earthy wheat flavor.

Light bodied, decent feel. Could be a session beer for a day but I'm not crazy about the metal.

Average I guess. I'm not a big experienced drinker of the style, but this is not a beer I would run back to.

07-31-2008 23:27:53 | More by ZimZamZoom
MaltyGoodness

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

16.9 oz. bottle

Pours a hazy straw color with a fluffy white head that maintains. Thick lacing around the glass.

Light bready aroma with some nice fruity tones. Very subdued aroma.

Nice fruity and bready flavor upfront, just as you would expect with a hefe. But, it finishes quite bland and uninspiring.

Ample carbonation, but body seems otherwise thin.

Pretty easy to drink, just no desire to drink anymore than one. A bit disappointing.

01-22-2006 23:40:55 | More by MaltyGoodness
kimcgolf

Georgia

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

Bottle. Pours to a slightly hazy, gold color, with medium white head. Good appearance and aroma. Spicy start, but tasted flat at mid glass. Short, watery finish. Not bad for a hefe-weisse, which is not my favorite style. Although I have a feeling my wifre would enjoy this one more than I.

05-21-2006 14:25:53 | More by kimcgolf
aracauna

Georgia

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

Not one of the better German examples of a hefe. Estery yeastiness was weak and seemed lacking. Also had a slight dirt character to the malt taste. I had to squeeze the lemon and I usually refrain from that. A lighter color than Schneider Weiss.

06-13-2002 19:45:22 | More by aracauna
lonestar4lunch

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

Cheap, good, Hefe. Can find this almost anywhere. Some call it the Lone Star of Hefe's. Damn good and could drink it all night long. $1.99 at HEB (local and BEST grocery store around) for a 20oz, why fight it. Pours a fierce head that slowly dissipates. Typical, nice hefe aroma…strong wheat. Slight taste of honey, some fruit and very smooth. Good but not great. Drink up.

06-24-2007 06:02:25 | More by lonestar4lunch
FrothyBeverage

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

This beer had a nice cloudy orange hue. Looks very refreshing. Ocean like lace. The smell is somewhat of a sourdough bready smell. Faint hop aroma as well. Very hoppy and almost pepperminty taste. Leaves a toothpaste aftertaste. The mouthfeel is very refreshing. Definately a decent german beer. Try saying the name of this beer after a couple. Got a free glass with my purchase.

05-30-2009 01:49:21 | More by FrothyBeverage
ScottyC

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

Appearance: Very opaque with an orange color, especially when held up to light.

Smell: Grains and oranges. Slightly alcoholic. Yeasty.

Taste: Definitely has a classic German Hefe taste. Don't think I like it as much as the Schneider Weisse. A bit lacking on the aftertaste. Has a nice, orangey first taste but not much else.

Mouthfeel: A bit thick.

05-31-2010 20:15:51 | More by ScottyC
LordFinley

Kentucky

3.1/5  rDev -23.6%

A - Pours unfiltered opaque golden color. Head is an offwhite eggshell color, with large bubbles that dissipate to small bubbles rimming the surface of the beer.

S - Fruit and grain smells mix to a dark sweet smell. Hints of bannana and oats.

M - Sharp corbonated texture tickles your tounge.

T - After the carbonation clears your throught it finishes with a mellow dessert taste.

D - Carbonation makes this beer somewhat difficult to guzzle down. It's asking for the respect it deserves.

01-11-2009 23:44:26 | More by LordFinley
PAvolksbiermann

3.1/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Warning this is an A.B.Inbev beer most people don't realize this! Imported year round (but more so during Oktoberfest), Weissbier is a fantastic hefe with a silky mouthfeel and what I call a banana wheat after taste. Not as daring as other hefeweizen brews, this is a quintessential traditional hefe and one that goes great with a warm sunny day or with mild spicy foods. -1 for being deceiving and not labeling the beer as being made by A.B. Inbev which owns Spaten.

03-11-2011 00:01:22 | More by PAvolksbiermann
sfprint

Germany

3.1/5  rDev -23.6%

A: Dull rusty orange with greenish characteristic, not so beautiful in color, but very nice fluffy head.
S: Sweet banana, sweet bread/yeast, grapefruit.
T: Tart, bitter, slightly grapefruity yeast. Sour. Slightly creamy. Slightly astringent, planty aftertaste. Watery.
M: Mildly astringent, smoothish.
O: Ok, but extremely overrated. The flavor just isn't there.

03-28-2011 00:42:28 | More by sfprint
sluggermatt15

3.08/5  rDev -24.1%

Had this on-tap at a local bar. Was on special, so I decided to give it a whirl.

A - Pours a hazy golden color. Typical for a hefewizen. Nothing overly sexy about this beer. About average in terms of appearance.

S - A little malty, hops, banana smell.

T - Bananas and definitely bubble gum. Combine them and you get a banana bubble gum taste. I was kind of shocked to this taste. I didn't know what to expect since this was my first hefewizen.

M - Carbonation present, which is a little overpowering.

Ordered this one because it was on special. Not a fan of hefewizens, so I likely would not get this one again.

07-05-2011 19:03:40 | More by sluggermatt15
woosterbill

Connecticut

3.08/5  rDev -24.1%

On-tap at the Volunteer pub in London.

A: Cloudy orange-gold body with a fine tan cap that settles into a ring. No lace. Ok.

S: Lots of clove, spicy malt, banana bread. There's some very artificial vanilla sweetness, too. Not terrible, but a little off. Average at best.

T: Sweet clove, banana, and bready malt. Long, sticky finish. Tasty, but heavy.

M: Frothy, highly bubbly medium body. Ok.

O: I've certainly enjoyed this one more out of the bottle than I did this time on tap. Even at its best, though, Franziskaner can't touch the real top-notch weizens.

Cheers!

03-30-2012 19:34:35 | More by woosterbill
woemad

Washington

3.05/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured a hazy gold color with a big white head that left sheets of lacing dripping down the glass. The odor was odd. Fruity, floral odors are there, but they share space with a sickly sweet smell that while not truly nasty, I nevertheless found a little bit disagreeable. The taste was primarily citrusy, with a little bit of spiciness in the background, along with that cloying sweetness I detected in the smell. The mouthfeel, without being too thick, has a slightly pulpy texture to it. This wasn't a bad beer, but I think it could have been better.

10-06-2003 06:02:52 | More by woemad