Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Franziskaner Hefe-WeisseFranziskaner Hefe-Weisse

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,557 | Hads: 3,648
1.64/5  rDev -59.4%

Poured as a pale orange draft with a small white head. I actually finished this beer but it definitely wasn't what I expected. It's a cloudy wheat beer that has some clarity to it.

Smell was of wheat and orange, which helped a bit but I am not a fan of strong wheat scents.

Taste was sweet, orange-y, and again, wheat. I think that the combination is actually pretty good for somebody who would like wheat beers - in which case, add about 2 points to my smell / taste ratings.

Mouthfeel & drinkability both suffered as the mouthfeel was creamy with wheat aftertaste and the drinkability was hard for me to effectively judge as the more I drank, the less I tasted of the other flavors and the more the wheat became the predominant flavor.

Overall, I would not drink this beer again if I didn't begin to like hefeweizens someday.

2.06/5  rDev -49%

12oz bottle from Pick's poured into a shaker. Pours a hazy dark gold with about half a finger of white head. Light aroma of banana and clove. Taste is lightly sweet and watered down. Banana and clove, barely. Light bodied with a thin yet creamy texture. Fizzy carbonation and not much of a finish. Overall, it's ok. Nothing to write home about but drinkable nonetheless.

2.4/5  rDev -40.6%

Reviewed 10/4/2007 (bottle):

Pours a huge foamy white head, very lasting. Clear pale golden yellow color. Belgian flowery aroma, sugary. Aroma of Light fruit, like pear or green grape. Not too strong, but enticing. Pear taste, malt, sugary clean aftertaste, watery. Light, some wheat. Light taste. Too watery for my taste.

2.42/5  rDev -40.1%

12oz bottle, poured into a Duvel tulip.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse pours a surprsingly dark orange to amber. It's cloudy, but not as opaque as some others of the style. The head billows up to about three fingers of white foam, but quickly fades away, and leaves not a spot of lacing behind. There's some sweetness to the nose, a bit of wheaty vanilla and some caramel as well. Traditional banana and clove notes are at a minimum, and the beer smells faintly skunky. That ends up being a pretty good preview of what was awaiting me for my first (and subsequent) sips. The beer is too malt forward and the yeast takes too much of a back seat. I'd venture a guess that this particular bottle is just old, but without any kind of bottle dating, it's hard to tell for sure. In addition, the beer is definitely skunked, although I'm guessing the light hopping contributes to the fact that the off flavor isn't too overbearing. The mouthfeel is the lone bright spot of the beer. The body is suitably light, while maintaining a creamy edge that isn't all that common for the style. The carbonation is high, but could stand to be a touch higher. Franziskaner doesn't date their bottles and feels fine shipping their beer across an ocean in inferior green bottles, so I can't feel bad when one that's in bad condition makes its way to me for a review.

2.44/5  rDev -39.6%

Looks good, nice soft golden color, tall cap with lacing, looks desireable.
The aroma and flavors have all the characters of a hefe, but with alot less power and fullness in them. the banana and clove is just weak. bubble gum is stronger then the other flavors which is not good in my book. This is thin and dry and lacks the creamy feel and yeasty texture a hefe should have. All this one does is make me want a Weihestephaner.

2.5/5  rDev -38.1%

Poured from the bottle in to a hefeweizen glass the beer was a hazy dull orange color with a frothy white three-finger head. Streams of carbonation ran up the sides of the glass and some spots of lace were left throughout the sample.

A faint grainy almost macro BMC smell to the beer; very surprising. Thankfully, some slight citrus fruits came thru: lemon and orange mostly. A perhaps just a faint hop presence in the nose as well.

The taste thankfully did not immitate the smell. Citrus fruit and orange and lemon dominated the taste. A malty backbone lent some substance and moderate mouthfeel to the beer. Some slight banana undertones as well and there was ample carbonation.

There are certainly much better hefeweizens out there and this was only about par for me. The smell really turned me away, and the taste (although not bad) did not overly impress either. I'll look for something else when seeking a hefeweizen.

2.54/5  rDev -37.1%

I didn't care much for this beer, which could have to do with the freshness here in the states. Something about this brew tasted rather old and stale to me. It had a medicinal, alcohol smell to it when first poured in a glass, which I found unpleasant. The head was foamy and the color was actually lighter and less cloudy than other Hefeweizens I've tried. This beer was very carbonated which lent each sip a tart sharpness which finished with a heavy banana flavor. As I continued sipping, the scent mellowed out a bit and became reminiscent of brown sugar and cloves. Hopefully I'll make it back Munich again where I can sample a fresh Franziskaner. Until then I doubt I would purchase it again.

2.55/5  rDev -36.9%

How have I not had this yet?

Franziskaner Lefe_Weisse

Pours a huge white creamy head. This is going to take a while to finish pouring. Forest of bubbles explode from the bottom of this beer. Though hard to see them through far more yeast and protein than expected.

Bananas and cloves as expected, but stronger is a sour aroma. What is happening here?

Cloves, bananas, touch of vanilla, and a light touch of sour to even the sweetness out. This beer is rather light in flavor and a touch lacking in some of the better qualities of a great wheat beer.

The mouth is really where this beer falls apart for me. All this head, bubbles, etc and it still comes off as thin and watery.

This is better than any American wheat beer, but it doesn’t stand up next to some of the better Germans. Still pretty good stuff on a hot summer day.

2.59/5  rDev -35.9%

I didnt like this beer. Although it does become better the more you drink it.
The appearance was cloudy with sediment floating in it. color was a goldish yellow.

The smell is moslty banana.

The taste is also of bananas. But I had a friend tell me it tasted like rotten tomates smell. Once I heard that I picked up a weird tomatoey taste as well. There is something in this that when it hits the back of my toungue in the first few drinks it makes me shiver like Im drinking something disgusting. But this does go away the more you drink it.

2.61/5  rDev -35.4%

Random pick from a mix'n'match. Haven't had a hefeweissen in a long time, let's see how this one goes. Pours a rusty, fizzy orange w/ a firm three inches of white head. Smells broadly, along with the whiff of wheat, of citrus, mostly lemon, some pineapple.

Taste is more bitter than I expected for the style. Pretty subdued otherwise though, especially compared to the scent. Goes down somewhat watery, with a little less fizz than the still-sparkling head-o-rama suggested. Honestly, I would've welcomed some more.

It's fairly drinkable, I'll give it that. Question is, would I seek to drink it again after this one? I'd say no. If this is representative of the style, then maybe I just don't take well to hefes.

2.61/5  rDev -35.4%

The Hefe-Weisse poured a delightfully creamy gold it had a thin head that quickly dissipated. It's smell was of malt and grain with hints of citrus. The taste was malty with no hops and a distinct aftertaste of sorghum (or other big grasses). The feel was oily and foamy.

This beer started off very promisingly with that beautiful creamy glass, the smell dropped off a bit, and the taste fell off the table. I had recently had the Hefe-Weisse Dunkel and found it to be an interesting beer, but not one i would buy regularly. I bought the blonde to see if it would be a better match for me, as I prefer the lighter beers. I could probably learn to live with the first half of the taste, but the second half is very unenjoyable. All I could think about was cutting Johnson Grass on a hot day. So I'll move on and find a better match somewhere else.

2.68/5  rDev -33.7%

Pours a light yellow orange color with a two finger white head. The head gives way to some lacing. The aroma is kinda weak with a hint of coriander and maybe some orange. The taste was clove up front with a hint of citrus, however, the taste was very faint and it left me wanting more i felt it was a bit watery. The mouthfeel was good, good carbonation, and tangy. The drinkability is high, you could have a lot of these and be very fine.

2.71/5  rDev -32.9%

wonderful gold color glows within the glass . It seems brighter than the light on my desk . Nice to look at . Tastewise that is where it is not my type . I like a little bite . It is weak I guess you can say . Is it bad ? No . But for this "-1st year BA apprentice-" I will try another type / style

2.74/5  rDev -32.2%

This was mid gold to light amber and densely cloudy
The head was pure white and dense with an active bead.
The smell was redolent of bread yeast and not particularly pleasant.
Initial taste is acidic/sour and not particularly nice however it finishes nicely with malt sweetness.The change is abrupt and challenging.
It has an astringent feel in the mouth
Overall I didnt enjoy this beer,but it may be that I just dont like wheat bears

2.75/5  rDev -31.9%

I poured this into a typical weiss bier glass. It has a dark, cloudy golden color with a decent 2-fingered head with good retention. The smell is yeasty with hints of banana and clove. The taste is of yeasty banana and malty with a very slight hop bitterness. I think I detect a trace of skunk…this could be from the store's method of storage (green bottle...florescent lighting) or how long it's been sitting there. I am in Bud, Miller & Olde Style country after all. It has a medium body that is very highly carbonated.

Overall, I'm disappointed. I tasted this beer from the cask in the Styrian region of Austria, which is very close to Bavaria. This is not quite the same beer I had there. I put an orange in about halfway through the glass to finish it off. Perhaps this deserves another chance at some point in the future.

2.75/5  rDev -31.9%

I got this the other day because the store was out of Paulaner. The store guy recommended it. No comparison to Paulaner. too much hint of alcohol in taste. Did not taste like a wheat beer to me.

2.75/5  rDev -31.9%

Served in official glass during brewery night at Flying Saucer.

A-Cloudy, golden color with thick foamy head. Does that head ever go down? Hold my lemon please.

S-Real mellow scent, that head just gets in the way when you want to stick your nose in there. Smell the wheat, citrus (stupid lemon) and spice notes.

T-Wheat malt stands out with a bready, buttery texture. Some citrus and coriander sneak through. Very faint sweat, off-taste.

M-Served kinda cold. Heavy on the tongue and kinda flat for all that head. Clean finish like it never happened.

D-I like hefe's but a like more spice and citrus and less malt. Not one of the better wheat beers from the Rhineland though I haven't found too many that make the trip across unscathed. Go with a fresher American version instead.

2.76/5  rDev -31.7%

I guess I am discovering that Hefe-Weisse is not my taste. At least this one isn't. As one reviewer called it, it's the cloves. Yes, that's the taste.. I don't like.

APP - Nice and cloudy, with a good foam that settles into a fair lace.
SMELL- Not much as I can tell. There is the yeast.
TASTE- this is where it loses me. As earlier stated, I now know that wheat must not be my taste. And those cloves! Uugh.
MOUTH- at this point does it matter?
NOTES- This beer is somewhat highly regarded. So be it. Just not for me.

2.8/5  rDev -30.7%

Poured into a Franziskaner hefe glass a nice pale orange-ish color and foamy head that was pretty thick. Refreashing and citrusy. It also is light yet a little more body than expected. I do hate when it is served with a lemon, I feel it just kills some of the natural flavor. I know the majority of people like it, but I do not. All in all, a very nice wheat.

2.8/5  rDev -30.7%

This beer came in a sampler pack, and I think that it is past its prime: there is little punch to it like most Hefes, and the ingredients just seem to be sub-par. I could be wrong; this could be the way the beer was made. It pours a golden color with a little head. The smell is light and mostly wheat filled, with a hint of sweetness to it. The taste takes a while to develop, but when it does it comes in the back of the tongue with sweetness that I've come to love from Hefes. However, the finish is much like water, and doesn’t hold any real taste to it. I've seen it many places and its probably good to try for yourself at least once, but it doesn’t rank among my favorites for German Hefes.

2.81/5  rDev -30.4%

A poured from the 12 oz bottle into my tumbler.
CLOUDY with a finger and a half of white head.
yellow color
deliberately poured all the yeast into the glass.

S clean, unfamiliar smells

T is this lemony? not sure if I like this or not

M light body, medium carbonation

D funny taste - not sure I'll come back here.

2.85/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Short review here...

Nice big head that laces nicely.

Smells of watery orange and a slight hint of spice. The taste is a bit watery and a little too sweet like an overripe orange. Not really a bad thing but not something that I could not drink a lot of. The aftertaste is a bit mediciney for my tastes. Reminds me of baby aspirin.

The mouthfeel is a bit watery.

What we have here is just a decent beer but not anything that I would want to revisit. Sorry.

2.86/5  rDev -29.2%

Pours out of the green bottle a semi-hazy yellow with a touch of orange. Head runs rampant and nearly flows onto the counter, had to let the creamy head settle before I could finish pouring it.

Smell seemed a bit weak, might be my slight cold. Smells like bananas and beer, but not offensive at all, just odd. Not skunky either.

Taste seemed a bit watery, this my be due to the fact that the beer may have not been cold enough. Banana flavour with a bit of... something, not wheat or malt though. Strange aftertaste, sour.

Mouth seemed watery as well. Slightly creamy with a bit of a dry finish.

Drinkability doesn't seem very high, just about average.

2.87/5  rDev -29%

A: Huge head with a nice bit of cloudiness from the yeast in the bottle. Color is cloudy yellow. Very nice lacing.
S: Initially very bland. After a few sips, there was a nice wheaty smell with no real banana/clove smells.
T: Better than what the smells would lead me to believe. Some hints of bubblegum in the taste, with hints of lemons and bread. Nice sweet maltiness with low hop flavors.
M: Smooth drinking and clean. CO2 and alcohol seem to be in good levels.
D&N: The budweiser of hefe's. Nothing spectacular, nothing that is plain bad, just a middle of the road representation. Try it if you haven't, but don't expect a world class beer.

2.9/5  rDev -28.2%

Pealed off the gold foil around the cap to reveal rust -- never a good sign.

A: Cloudy marigold orange, billowy head, yeast floats in slivers of caked sediment.

S: Yeasty, pilsner like. Some citric character in the background as well as banana and clove, but just faintly there.

T: Light malt character, grassy -- semi- sweet caramelized sugar, barely perceptible banana.

M: Nice carbonation on the tongue, slick right after the swallow, and dry and tart afterwards.

D: Drinkable enough.

I attribute the medicority of this brew to the fact that the bottle is most certainly on the old side and past its prime. However, beyond this fact, I still feel it would be an average hefe-weizen.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu