Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Franziskaner Hefe-WeisseFranziskaner Hefe-Weisse

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,560 | Hads: 3,687
4.57/5  rDev +13.1%

Nice orangy color with a creamy head thait stays. Spicy, citrus taste. Wonderful nose of bananas with hint of cloves. This is a really good, refreshing beer. Over time this has become one of my favorites.
"Der bayerische Hochgenuss." Try it and see why.

4.57/5  rDev +13.1%

Presentation: 0.5 liter brown glass euro-generic bottle, black and white on gold label, gold foiled neck

Appearance: cloudy gold color, big off-white head, very good lacing

Smell: clove, banana and yeast

Taste: medium body, crisp mouth feel, minor lemon, some caramel, malt, yeast, clove spiciness

Notes: VERY GOOD, one of the best hefes I tried

4.57/5  rDev +13.1%

Being that this is one of the beers I consume most frequently, it'll be fun to deconstruct the qualities of this delightful German Hefeweizen.

It pours with light foam as a thin, orangey liquid carrying little sediment and much carbonation. Its aroma bursts with banana and orange esters, producing a sweet smell not unlike that of a soft drink or fruit punch.

Its flavor is quintessential hefeweizen, packing a light, refreshing taste that tickles that the back of throat with its carbonation (which is very present but not overpowering), leaving behind a lemony flavor on the back of the tongue. It beautifully rolls off of the palate and is reminiscent of sorbet in its tones.

This is an amazing session beer and one of my personal favorites to consume with a meal or in large quantities on the weekend or at a cookout.

4.57/5  rDev +13.1%

I've rated this one before... a few months ago, before my reviewing skills have had a chance to develop. I still have a lot to learn, but I wanted to update this review with my updated abilities. Since that time, I've tried various hefes and compared them to Franziskaner.

I still rate this beer very high. As a matter of fact, this is one of my personal favorites. Months ago when I did the first review, I tried to cap my enthusiasm for this brew. I've decided to go all out, though, and let you all know this is truly a great brew. The appearance is good and cloudy...as a hefe should be. The smell is very aromatic... clean, "wheaty" and citrus-like. The taste is very clean, very crisp, and very good. The mouthfeel, like any good hefe, is smooth as silk/velvet. The drinkability on this brew is very high for me (5) because I could drink this stuff all day.

This brew and Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier are among the top brews I've had. They are definitely among the best hefes to try. On a side note, Fraziskaner is a bit cheaper per sixer than the Weihenstphaner. Here in Louisville, KY you can get Franziskaner for just under $7 a sixer, while the Weihenstephaner is about $10 per sixer. Both are worth every penny.

4.58/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a hazy golden with a creamy white head. Fruity smells dominate with banana at the forefront. Vanilla and banana are the first tastes on the tongue and last all the way through with some nice subtle wheat flavors. Perfect full and creamy mouthfeel. Extremely drinkable. This is one hell of a great beer. The full mouthfeel and good body make it easily quaffable anytime of the year but it fits especially well on a nice hot summer day.

4.58/5  rDev +13.4%

Served in the appropriate Weizen glass.

Oh where to start with one of these.

Appearance: Its a good kind of cloudy, and a rich golden color. You can tell its different from other wheats, which I've seen as a paler form of gold with varying degrees of cloudiness. You can tell just by looking at it the level of quality it has.

Smell: Its got rich characteristics to it, but I've never taken a good whiff for the more subtle smells.

Taste: This is where it shines. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this taste; its not too much of anything, its very well balanced, nothing too strong as an aftertaste, and it stays consistently good to the last drop. A very little bit citrusy sweet, with a VERY light banana taste. If you like how wheat beer tastes, this offers the right mix of subtle but refined. I will say it does get a little more bitter near the end as it warms, but I barely noticed.

Mouthfeel: I can only describe it as "luscious and lingering". It does leave a small bit of film in the mouth, and its enjoyable.

Overall: Indeed this is the best wheat I've ever enjoyed. I only give it a 4.5 because I've yet to try the true top-ranked beers in this category, but if this is where I considered it a perfect-tasting Hefeweizen, I can only imagine what a perfect 5 beer would taste like.

4.58/5  rDev +13.4%

Had this beer in bottles and on tap in Zurich, CH. A true classic weiss beer. Pours golden color with a decent head. Crisp, light, with a spice of grain on the back end. Mouthfeel is the benchmark for Helfeweizen beers. Also, this beer is highly drinkable. You can drink this all day on a nice summer afternoon. We would have one of these at lunch and a couple more after a day on the slopes. This is *the* Hefeweizen beer, ladies and gents. If you ever get the chance, this is a shining example of beer done right. No extremes, no gimmicks, just good beer.

4.59/5  rDev +13.6%

I've had this affordable, drinkable delicious beer quite a few times now and I'll definitely be coming back to it. Smells and tastes a hint of banana. I love the smell. Cheap, definitely a plus but overall just great-tasting beer. Wheat beer perfected I would go so far as to say. It's important to rouse the bottle a bit because of all the yeast sediment. I could easily kick back a few any given day like I am right now (on my second.) Finally have some time off from work nothing better than drinking a beer that doesn't get you into a drunk stupor but instead maintains a decent buzz with great taste to boot. Recommended for sure, I want to try it out on tap.

4.59/5  rDev +13.6%

I first had Franziskaner in Darmstadt, Germany, and often look for it now that I'm back in the US. Found it at Liquor World in Milford, MA today.

Pours a huge head out of the bottle into a Hefeweizen glass.

Intense rush of wheat aroma hits you almost immediately in the glass. Not a lot of citrus in the aroma, not as much as other Hefeweizens I've had.

However, the citrus hits you pretty fast on the the palate. Great wheat taste in the back, some banana and orange up front. Aftertaste is strangely buttery to me. Fantastic drinkability, could probably do an entire session with this one. Very satisfied.

4.59/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Color: Golden color that's radiant as the sun
Clarity: Not very clear, it is like trying to look through golden clouds
Head: Little head retention and small bubble size

Aroma: Sweet with hints of cloves and bananas
Bouquet: Smells associated with hops are almost non-existent
Off Odors: None

Balance & Flavors: A little sweet. Not bitter at all
Off Flavors: None
Mouth-Feel/Body: Medium to light bodied
Tail: Clean and flavorful
Carbonation: Not too abundant.

I fully enjoyed this beer because of the cocktail of flavors and fruity aromas. The smell makes you want more and more and the bottle is empty before you know it. I highly recommend this beer without reservation for anyone looking for a good hefe.

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours cloudy yellow with minimal foam. Little lacing is evident,

Smell is classic hefe - the banana bursts out of here, there is clove and other fruit buried in the background.

Taste is wheaty, crisp, and clean. Finish is yeasty. High carb in the mouthfeel.

This is one of the best hefes I've ever had. Really tasty, highly drinkable. I had never heard of the brand when I pulled the bottle off the shelf, but I am glad I did. Well done.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

1 Pint 9 Fl Oz. Bottle (Brown, gold foil) Tasted in a Edelweiss, wessbier .5 L glass. Creamy rich head, lively carbonation with a hazy orange complexion (darker than the other wheat beers). Yeasty, bread smell. Smooth mouth feel followed by a strong yeast, banana finish. Very, Very drinkable.

PS.... Did I say very drinkable.

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

This has a cloudy, gold-yellow appearance with a nice medium-thick white head. The smell gives off hints of the nice fruity flavor to come. In the taste battle between fruity and wheaty, fruity wins out by just a tad, and it makes for near perfection. The mouthfeel is nice and smooth. I really enjoy this beer, and the first word that comes to mind when thinking about it is refreshing.

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very good Hefe-Weisse. I would rank it second out of ones I've tried after the Konig-Ludwig. It has a medium body, a pleasant smell and a well rounded flavor with a slightly tangy aftertaste.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

with a controled pour and swirling the bottom inch of beer from the bottle to your glass you will get a nice two finger head with a cloudy medium gold color beer. smell, coriander and ginger. taste is lemon slightly sour up front with coriander, spice, clove, finish. mouthfeel is light, crisp, clean. drinkability excellent.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance - Perfect white one finger head that has great retention.

Smell - Great smell. Banana and wheat.

Taste - Definite banana and wheat. Tastes less sweet then it smells, otherwise, the characteristics are the same. No bitterness whatsoever.

Mouthfeel - Delicious creamy texture and plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability - One of the most drinkable beers of any style. Definitely a top session beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I bought this beer at Goodies number 3 in dallas, they have a great selection and there prices are right on.

I like the taste, its somewhat in the middle of all the Weizen beir that i've tasted. Which being in the middle is good, not to filling, not to sweet, not to filling, great when your having more than one.

i would have rated it higher, but i like the dunkel better.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pint on tap at The King's Head, London N8. Proper Franziskaner branded weiss glass. Classic example of the style, and in my view, second only to the Weihenstephaner. Looks gorgeous, smells lively, tastes great. Had to restrain myself from having another.

4.61/5  rDev +14.1%

Ahh What a beer! Poured from a bottle into tall Weizen glass. A light golden / orange cloudy appearance with a huge 2.5 inch head that clears the top edge of the glass! Smells of bananas and maybe even a little orange. Taste is superb, bananas, wheat, citrus, and perfect carbonation. A very refreshing drink to say the least. My very favorite of one of my favorite styles.

I will always be a little partial to this beer because it was my first 'true' beer and it helped begin me on my current journey toward beer aficionado. What a long strange trip I know it will be. I am off to pour another! Cheers!!

4.61/5  rDev +14.1%

Appearance - Wonderful pour topped with an inch and a half of frothy goodness. The body is a hazy orange. No lacing.

Smell - It has a perfect malt and slight citrus aroma. It is extremely difficult to not take a sip.

Taste - Amazing malt with subtle clove and even a hint at banana flavor. This is a great tasting beer.

Mouthfeel - The feel is a bit coarse but the texture brings out the flavor.

~ This beer really made me realize there are some great brews outside of the great state of Wisconsin. I'd happily enjoy the Hefe Weisse anytime.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured out of a green bottle and into a tall franziskaner glass, till the last 1/8th and then swirled and poured the rest.
very cloudy gold/yellow wheat beer look with a large white head that stays while you drink

spicy banana smell, light hint of citrus smell, very smooth to drink, and the taste is light with no aftertaste.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great Beer for a Hefeweizen, this is one of my favorite beers to drink with dinner.

Color- golden light color with fluffy head

Taste- i think it tastes like banana bread, sweet and good

Takes the stress out of your day

Overall I think this is a great beer but its pretty filling

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Now this is why I drink German wheats! Pours a cloudy dark golden, with an enormous head that slowly settles to a nice rim of lace. The aroma of ripe bananas or banana bread, cloves, and even a little citrus. The taste is crisp and clean with just the right amount of hops to balance it out. This is what I want on a hot summer day to quench my thirst. I had this in a 1pt, 9 fl oz bottle. It even comes with pouring instruction on the rear lable for those who don't know the proper way to pour and drink a Hefe-Weisse.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Golden Cloudy like a Proper Hefe should be. Msssive Wheat Head upon pour that drops down to about 1/4 to 1/2 that remains until you finish.

Smell - Fruity with notes of Cloves, Bananna
, Hardly any Hops noticeable.

Taste - Taste Banannas up from with a Malty Clove finish. Again as in the smell very lightly Hopped.

Mouthfeel - Light and Refreshing, nice Fruity aftertaste.

Drinkability - I can drink these one right after another all day and night long. I've noticed they seem to taste better in a pint bottle or on tap instead of the 12oz bottles. Possibly because they get a small amount of light pollution in the smaller green bottles, the Pint bottles are Amber. Suggest you get the pint bottles or find it on tap at a Pour House.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Before I had tried this beer (which I've had on numerous occasions, my Safeway carries it for about $2.50, score!) the only hef's I'd tried were Pyramid and Widmer. Well, as you know, those two are very tinny and lack the flavor a good hef is supposed to have. At least, that's what I'd been told. After trying Franziskaner, I know what a hef is supposed to be like.

It looks good, like a real German beer: cloudy, foamy head, hard to see through; all good things. It pours nice into a glass.

The smell: yum. I'm awful at pinpointing smells, but it is very honey-like and maybe bananas. Almost like bread pudding or something, or banana bread. Smells amazing.

Tastes great too. So drinkable and smooth. Feels light in the mouth but still with weight to it. Doesn't take like it's been sloshing around in an aluminum tub for years. Real sort of "organic" taste to it, like a beer that people have been making for years and they just have it figured out. Tastes like the aforementioned bread pudding/bananas, maybe a hint of lemon. Pound cake? Sure!

So very easy to drink. A great go-to beer, one of my favorites to just pick up on a whim. Highly recommended, especially at the price and availability. Yum.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu