Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Franziskaner Hefe-WeisseFranziskaner Hefe-Weisse

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-13-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Alström Bros
2.78/5  rDev -31.7%

A poured from the 12 oz bottle into my tumbler.
CLOUDY with a finger and a half of white head.
yellow color
deliberately poured all the yeast into the glass.

S clean, unfamiliar smells

T is this lemony? not sure if I like this or not

M light body, medium carbonation

D funny taste - not sure I'll come back here.

2.78/5  rDev -31.7%

Poured into a Franziskaner hefe glass a nice pale orange-ish color and foamy head that was pretty thick. Refreashing and citrusy. It also is light yet a little more body than expected. I do hate when it is served with a lemon, I feel it just kills some of the natural flavor. I know the majority of people like it, but I do not. All in all, a very nice wheat.

2.78/5  rDev -31.7%

This beer came in a sampler pack, and I think that it is past its prime: there is little punch to it like most Hefes, and the ingredients just seem to be sub-par. I could be wrong; this could be the way the beer was made. It pours a golden color with a little head. The smell is light and mostly wheat filled, with a hint of sweetness to it. The taste takes a while to develop, but when it does it comes in the back of the tongue with sweetness that I've come to love from Hefes. However, the finish is much like water, and doesn’t hold any real taste to it. I've seen it many places and its probably good to try for yourself at least once, but it doesn’t rank among my favorites for German Hefes.

2.8/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Short review here...

Nice big head that laces nicely.

Smells of watery orange and a slight hint of spice. The taste is a bit watery and a little too sweet like an overripe orange. Not really a bad thing but not something that I could not drink a lot of. The aftertaste is a bit mediciney for my tastes. Reminds me of baby aspirin.

The mouthfeel is a bit watery.

What we have here is just a decent beer but not anything that I would want to revisit. Sorry.

2.83/5  rDev -30.5%

Pours out of the green bottle a semi-hazy yellow with a touch of orange. Head runs rampant and nearly flows onto the counter, had to let the creamy head settle before I could finish pouring it.

Smell seemed a bit weak, might be my slight cold. Smells like bananas and beer, but not offensive at all, just odd. Not skunky either.

Taste seemed a bit watery, this my be due to the fact that the beer may have not been cold enough. Banana flavour with a bit of... something, not wheat or malt though. Strange aftertaste, sour.

Mouth seemed watery as well. Slightly creamy with a bit of a dry finish.

Drinkability doesn't seem very high, just about average.

2.88/5  rDev -29.2%

Pealed off the gold foil around the cap to reveal rust -- never a good sign.

A: Cloudy marigold orange, billowy head, yeast floats in slivers of caked sediment.

S: Yeasty, pilsner like. Some citric character in the background as well as banana and clove, but just faintly there.

T: Light malt character, grassy -- semi- sweet caramelized sugar, barely perceptible banana.

M: Nice carbonation on the tongue, slick right after the swallow, and dry and tart afterwards.

D: Drinkable enough.

I attribute the medicority of this brew to the fact that the bottle is most certainly on the old side and past its prime. However, beyond this fact, I still feel it would be an average hefe-weizen.

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%

A: Huge head with a nice bit of cloudiness from the yeast in the bottle. Color is cloudy yellow. Very nice lacing.
S: Initially very bland. After a few sips, there was a nice wheaty smell with no real banana/clove smells.
T: Better than what the smells would lead me to believe. Some hints of bubblegum in the taste, with hints of lemons and bread. Nice sweet maltiness with low hop flavors.
M: Smooth drinking and clean. CO2 and alcohol seem to be in good levels.
D&N: The budweiser of hefe's. Nothing spectacular, nothing that is plain bad, just a middle of the road representation. Try it if you haven't, but don't expect a world class beer.

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%

Appearance: hazy without floating yeast. Deep yellow colour. The head is huge, white and frothy but may not persist for a long time (not much lacing).
Aroma: its best feature with notes of yeast, wheat, banana and sweet malts.
Taste: citrus, yeast and wheat.
Mouthfeel: smooth, high carbonation, medium to low alcoholic strength and a thin body.
Finish: weak and short wheat aftertaste.

Overall: Despite the general opinion I found this one watery and diluted. It can be crispy and refreshing but there is not much there. Easy to forget. The dunkel Franziskaner version is much better.

2.93/5  rDev -28%

A: Light brown with a layer of white foam on the surface, never disappears, i like the fat monk drinking it;

S: Sweet essences, vanilla and horchata (drink meade from fround melon seeds);

T: Very sweet wheat;

M: Bitter sweet;

D: Acceptable wheat beer but very sweet in all respects.

2.95/5  rDev -27.5%

A rather flat head for a Hefeweizen, with typical but nothing-special aroma, even a bit underpowered for my liking. Fizzier than I like for a beer of this type, and a light body that lacked any density or punch easily found in better samples. "Malt liquor," according to the label, but not even much evidence of maltiness. Average but you can do much better.

2.95/5  rDev -27.5%

I split a pitcher of the Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse at the Tulsa Oktoberfest on a perfect autumn day. Yes this was our first pitcher. It poured to a nice golden color with an enormous head, my mouth was watering, mmmm.

The smell was typical bread, with banana and clove. I also noticed a bit of a hops smell.

Taste was of wheat and cloves, with a tart aftertaste. My buddy said it needed a lemon but to me that’s an insult.

The mouthfeel was nice and light with my favorite sud feeling! Life is good.

Drinkability is just below average. I prefer the smoother wheat beers the tart bite at the end of this one gets me. We went on to sample some of the other fine Oktoberfest beers on tap.

2.98/5  rDev -26.8%

Appearance: Pours to a murky, caramel brown with a large, fluffy white head.

Smell: Smells of citrus and sweet malt.

Taste: Citrus abounds on the initial taste, and is followed by a slightly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Quite smooth, little carbonation.

Drinkability: The abundant citrus and spicy notes in this beer simply dont sit too well with me. I also would prefer that it were a little more bitter. I had no problem finishing this bottle, however I don't really want another.

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu