Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by Todd on 11-13-2001

Reviews: 1,575 | Ratings: 3,788
3.73/5  rDev -7.7%

Had this one on-tap at the Bulldog on Magazine St. in New Orleans at their Wednesday night keep-your-pint special because the Franziskaner Hefe-Weiss Dunkel was out(!) I had never had this before, but the bartender offered and I'm not one to turn down a new beer.

Poured into a pint glass, the brew poured the typical hazy orange Hefeweizen color with almost zero head and almost zero lacing. . .just the way I like it.

Typical wheaty smell, with a bit of citrus thrown in there. Definitely some cloves and coriander and a hefty bit of banana smell. I probably looked like an idiot with my nose in the glass at the bar, but that was the only way I could really pick up on all those aromas.

The taste was slightly better than average, but having the read the reviews before I tried it, I expected much better. I think it may have been too cold originally, because it certainly tasted better as it warmed up. The citrus taste is quite present, and although the yeast taste was there, I could not taste any hops.

As far as mouthfeel goes, it was super, super smooth. I got through about 3/4ths of this in 5 minutes or so because after I started drinking it, I didn't even realize how fast I was consuming it. I had to let the last little bit warm up to get the good taste, but there was no bitterness and no harsh aftertaste. Very palatable!

Tied in with the mouthfeel, the drinkability is exceptional. I can't see myself drinking this instead of the Hefe-Weiss Dunkel, however, which I find far and away superior (though I'm also a huge advocate of dunkel style beers). I may pick up a 16.9 oz bottle of this later to see if it tastes differently (i.e. - how it tastes less cold), but I won't be choosing this over other Spaten products anytime soon.

4.59/5  rDev +13.6%

I've had this affordable, drinkable delicious beer quite a few times now and I'll definitely be coming back to it. Smells and tastes a hint of banana. I love the smell. Cheap, definitely a plus but overall just great-tasting beer. Wheat beer perfected I would go so far as to say. It's important to rouse the bottle a bit because of all the yeast sediment. I could easily kick back a few any given day like I am right now (on my second.) Finally have some time off from work nothing better than drinking a beer that doesn't get you into a drunk stupor but instead maintains a decent buzz with great taste to boot. Recommended for sure, I want to try it out on tap.

3.96/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not a bad hefe at all but a little too much carbonation and not enough banana flavor to get a flawless score from me. I would definately drink it again but I think I like Sierra Nevada kellerweis better and even hoffbrau.

3.53/5  rDev -12.6%

Hazy blonde in color with a tall, thick white head that stays for a good length of time and leaves a spotty lace. It has a fairly moderate aroma of fruity banana and clove.
First taste is of crisp, tart orange citrus that remains present to the finish. Clove, baking spices and grainy, bitter hop flavors emerge at mid-taste and contiue to the end. Yeast joins in as the flavor begins to fade. Medium body with very good carbonation and a good balance tipped toward hops.
A crisp, light, warm weather beer.

4.12/5  rDev +2%

Poured violenty into a pint glass to get a 3 finger head which was retained exceptionally well until the last sip. Hazy deep golden with a tad off white head.

Smell was hints of clove and banannas.

Taste very delightful with a sweet aftertaste which is very impressive.

The mouthfeel is perfect for this style, not too watery but maybe more creamier than most beers of this style.

Drinkability was great for a session beer. I think this beer would be great w/ almost any foods or by itself to enjoy. I highly recomend this beer for its unique flavor.

3.55/5  rDev -12.1%

A - pours a dark cloudy yellow with LOTS of foamy light head and nice lacing

S - complex --yeasty and lemony, at the same time dark but refreshing

T - full-bodied, lemony, actually reminds me less of a hefe-weizen and more of a well-brewed light lager (a la Big River's Southern Flier)

M - nice and light, not too fizzy

D - maybe just not my style. It's decent but not great. I'd probably go for another hefe.

4.12/5  rDev +2%

This is my first wheat beer. Appearance was merky yellow and a little like cloudy dishwater, the head was big and pure white, and stayed on the side of the glass throughout the glass. Smell was not what I expected at all. Some here say it has some banana hints in there I guess that makes sense, I did however notice the citrus right away. Tasted good, no huge bitterness, little citrus, and bread if that makes sense.. Almost crisp and very easy to drink.

I'm coming back to this one for sure

4.77/5  rDev +18.1%

Franziskaner - Weissbier

Always one of my favorites, my wife surprized me with a gift in the fridge this afternoon. It sure was great. I can't get enough of this beer, and even better with a few grilled brats. I've loved hefeweizen ever since getting sent to Germany with the Army in the 90's - it was beer like this that kept away from all macro-brews throughout my college life. After some great Hefeweizen, I just couldn't back to bland, tasteless American Lagers.

This beer pours a deep, golden color, a very cloudy blond-light brown. The 12 oz bottle filled my 500ml weizen glass to nearly the top with a thick off-white foam that went down fairly quicky, but not without lacing the sides all the way down.

It's a very flavorful wheat beer taste, slightly sweet, slightly malty, slightly heavy, but all in a great combination. You'll want to be sure to give the bottle a few swirls before you finish your pour to ensure that you get all the unfiltered wheat that you've paid for.

As I finished my brew and typed this up, some fruit fly decided that he couldn't take it anymore and finished himself off with a dive into my glass. While I switch to my covered stein and pour anothe, I just can't be too upset. That's the way I'd like to go too.

Franziskaner, at home after mowing the lawn one final time for the season.

A-Big head 2 finger...lots of wheat!!!

S-Light breadiness, yeast and a liight grain. The "banana" smell (asi my wife calls it) is always present and pleasant!!

T-Tastes just like it smells. Good wheat, easy bread, and nice yeast flavor along with spice notes of corriandor.

M- Thick and heavy, delightful to the palate.

D This is a good wheat beer with asweome drinkability. If you like Blue Moon....you will love Franziskaner!!!

4.17/5  rDev +3.2%

A - Pours a hazy gold color with a one-finger off-white head.

S - The aroma is composed of lots of yeast smell followed by sweet over-ripe bananas and a tiny bit of clove.

T - Yeast is very present at the front followed by a spicy clove flavor. Banana doesn't seem to come through as it does in the smell.

M - The carbonation "stings" your tongue as you drink it and leaves your mouth fairly dry.

O - I love this beer! It has been my go-to beer until recently. Perfect during the spring and summer on a hot day. Very light and rejuvenating!

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

A very nice German Weiss-Beer. Great flavor of citrus peel and coriander, not too strong. Imported for Germany, sold in many common stores for a very low price. One of my favorite beers.

4.68/5  rDev +15.8%

Haze cloudy amber colour with fine creamy head, like it has to be with hefe-weizen. And this is natural, cause the beer is unfiltered.
The beer has agressive yeasty aroma with ester and fruity notes. Very fresh....
Body is too full almost satiating. There are two main parts of general character: wheat and yeasts taste, with spices and banana in background, a little bit grassy, off flavour reminiscent of mown grass. The beer is very sweet, sometime it seems to be even cloying.
That's the classic indeed.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

this is my first review...ok

Appearance: cloudy orange, almost brown color, huge clear head on this import. the head remains for a long time. this beer is almost the color of the label on the bottle
Smell: the smell is beuatiful, richly citrus with a little hop smell
Taste: clear banana and citrus. neither malty nor hoppy. the taste is subtle but not too much so.
Mouthfeel: mouthfeel is smooth and oh so refreshing.
Drinkability: this is one great beer, it goes down smooth, no alcohol taste is present what so ever. leaves your mouth feeling clean.

4.53/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

ST: Poured from a 12 oz bottle purchased at Cardoza's Wines & Spirits in Fall River, MA

A: Golden Yellow with a good sized foamy head

S: Bananas, citrus, some spices

T: Very flavorful, a little heavy but overall very good

M: not too carbonated

D: very drinkable, exceptional taste. If you like wheat beers you will love this one.

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

Another wonderful wheat beer from Germany, where they do it RIGHT. Pour it slowly--it literally jumps out of the bottle and into the mug, the force of its roiling energy eventually settling into a rocky white topography that gradually levels off, leaving behind virtually no traces. The opaque orange color portends a full-bodied, slick mouthfeel--very nice! Citrus and bread dough on the nose and tongue. I can't quite decide if I like this one or Hoegaarden better--they are both worthwhile!

3.89/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Pint bottle into a pilsner glass.

A - Hazy light tan/yellow (a bit livid) with a quickly dissapating white foam that leaves almost no lace. Really a bit clearer than a lot of hefeweizens I've seen.

S - Rising bread dough. Yeasty with a hint of banana.

T - Lots of banana and bread- start to finish. Oh and some cloves! Just a slight hint of hops toward the end that very nicely compliments the overall character. A bit cloying, though.

M - Ebullient and full. Just as nice as it warms a bit.

O - Really a bit more robust than Weihenstephaner or Paulaner. I brewed a very nice all-grain quasi-hefe once (with T-58). I'd not really noticed the banana flavour and never cloves in those like I did in this one. It's nice, but I'm not sure I like it more than Paulaner. Dings in score for the cloying, overwhelming-ness. In some of my reviews, brew gets dinged for not having much "muchness". This one has a bit much "muchness" in flavour. Still good, though!

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

A yellowish brown haze color with a foamy white lasting head. It comes to you with a banana scent and a bit of lemon citrus. The taste is somwhat sweet with a hint of spice. Soft carbonation, smooth and very drinkable anytime.

4.06/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from 16.9 oz bottle into an Erdinger weisbier glass shortly after finishing mowing my lawn.

Appearance: Appropriately cloudy appearance. Dark straw in color, actually a couple of shades darker than I expected. Nice pure white head with staying power. Heavy population of tiny carbonation bubbles. I subtracted half a point for the fact that some of the yeast from the bottom of the bottle poured out in heavy chunks. While I understand what the “heffe” in heffeweisse means, I found this visually unappealing.

Aroma: Cloves. There are also nuances of other spicy aromas – fleeting whiffs of cardamom and maybe even star anise further in the background.

Taste: Delicious. I was surprised to detect banana undertones that I didn’t identify when I smelled the beer. There is a marvelous mix of clove, wheat, banana and mixed yeasty spices. As the flavors subside, a slight but mouth drying tartness beckons another sip.

Mouthfeel: It amazing how a beer like this can have so much flavor and complexity yet remain light on the palate. The combination of the flavor, light body and happy carbonation just works. These tiny and aggressive bubbles enthusiastically danced a jig on my tongue on their way to my gullet.

Drinkablity: Superb. The lightness coupled with the complex and interesting flavor profile ensure that this can quench even largest thirst on the hottest day.

This is certainly one of the more well-rounded Hefe Weizens that I have had the pleasure of drinking from a bottle. The light yeasty aroma is accompanied by corriander and clove scents that mely into a light banana creamyness flavor in the mouth. Not one characteristic stands out. Often with a hefe weizen one standard attribute gets blown out of proportion... too much citrus, corriander, yeast, etc... but this one is splendidly blended! The color of the beer is a light burnt gold. The only thing that I see missing from this classic hefe weizen is a crisp bitterness in the finish, this one does not have a long finish, but rather fades quickly with the yeast flavour predominating.

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Nice thick head on this hazy golden beer, which slowly peeled away to a thin film.

The smell on this heffeweizen is amazing. Citrusy notes combine with yeast/banana. It smells fantastic.

The taste is on par with the smell with banana coming through a zesty citrus flavor.

The mouthfeel is a bit on the heavily-carbonated side. Other than that its very enjoyable.

Very drinkable- I could enjoy several of these on a warm day with some friends.

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Spaten Franziskaner is a quintessential hefeweizen, satisfactory in every respect.

Appearance - cloudy, poured into a hefeweizen glass with a course three-finger head that dissipates into a half-finger cap over 2-3 minutes. Cloudy dark-gold typical of the style.

Aroma - again, the quintessential banana/clove aroma one would expect from a wheat beer.

Taste - lovely wheat/malt/banana/clove typical to the style. Good stuff.

Mouthfeel- quite effervecent, but that's what we're looking for in this style of beer.

Drinkability - could pound it all night. It's just great,

Spaten Frazinskaner stands right uo to Pschorr-brau, Erdinger, Schneider, and Weihenstephaner as a great wheat beer. These guys do it right, not to be disappointed in any way.

4.62/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Before I had tried this beer (which I've had on numerous occasions, my Safeway carries it for about $2.50, score!) the only hef's I'd tried were Pyramid and Widmer. Well, as you know, those two are very tinny and lack the flavor a good hef is supposed to have. At least, that's what I'd been told. After trying Franziskaner, I know what a hef is supposed to be like.

It looks good, like a real German beer: cloudy, foamy head, hard to see through; all good things. It pours nice into a glass.

The smell: yum. I'm awful at pinpointing smells, but it is very honey-like and maybe bananas. Almost like bread pudding or something, or banana bread. Smells amazing.

Tastes great too. So drinkable and smooth. Feels light in the mouth but still with weight to it. Doesn't take like it's been sloshing around in an aluminum tub for years. Real sort of "organic" taste to it, like a beer that people have been making for years and they just have it figured out. Tastes like the aforementioned bread pudding/bananas, maybe a hint of lemon. Pound cake? Sure!

So very easy to drink. A great go-to beer, one of my favorites to just pick up on a whim. Highly recommended, especially at the price and availability. Yum.

3.89/5  rDev -3.7%

A: Pours a brassy golden-orange color with a fluffy white head that sinks down to a quarter inch or so after a minute.This beer is opaque and I can't even see through to the other side of the glass. Bits of sediment from the bottle quickly settle to the bottom of my mug.

S: Very fruity.Mostly apple and pear like as opposed to the banana blast that comes from a lot of beers of this style. That being said the banana scent is there just beneath the other two, along with an almost dry Wheaties scent.Very enticing.

T: Not quite as exciting as the smell.Sweet apple definitely dominates.Followed by hints of banana and brown sugar.The wheat is almost all in the after taste.

M: Thick and tongue coating but not sticky. What I mean is that is doesn't leave a residue feeling after swallowing just a refreshing wetness.Very bubbly, but in a good way.

D: It won't knock your dong in the dirt from the alcohol or anything, but it is pretty thick and filling. It's refreshing but i'd still try to just drink one or two at a time.

Overall: A solid, thirst quenching beer with a wonderful smell and decent flavor.It's not my favorite in the style but I'll drink it again for sure. Plus, it's got a very generous price tag on it.

4.62/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Golden Cloudy like a Proper Hefe should be. Msssive Wheat Head upon pour that drops down to about 1/4 to 1/2 that remains until you finish.

Smell - Fruity with notes of Cloves, Bananna
, Hardly any Hops noticeable.

Taste - Taste Banannas up from with a Malty Clove finish. Again as in the smell very lightly Hopped.

Mouthfeel - Light and Refreshing, nice Fruity aftertaste.

Drinkability - I can drink these one right after another all day and night long. I've noticed they seem to taste better in a pint bottle or on tap instead of the 12oz bottles. Possibly because they get a small amount of light pollution in the smaller green bottles, the Pint bottles are Amber. Suggest you get the pint bottles or find it on tap at a Pour House.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

Nice foamy head. Almost explosive in its headiness. Cloudy light caramel color, almost orange. . Very nice light color. Light taste but still bold. Tangy but not sour. One of the best liquid bread weiss biers. Very nice thick feel. Light earthy smell. Light on the alcohol. A great solid buzz.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu