Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,571 | Reviews: 1,590
3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured a funny color, looking like a candy imitation of the yellow of a banana, highly hazy, and giving off an orange tone. Had a small thin head of soupy foam, but lots of lace, thin but full coming down the glass.

Smelled of banana but no cloves, softly so, with the mild lactic presence of a fresh peeled banana. Small sweet presence, too, easy and quite rounded but not stunning. Tending to fade, it also had sour, grainy, and firm wheat notes that were present but minimal. Taste was soft and calm, of a very mild banana scent dominating a thin wheat palette. Its wheat body lacked a sturdy firmness but had character enough. Nice sour turn at the end, an easy and mild sour.

A very tasty session hefe, with a smooth session mouthfeel. Not the greatest but solid.

3.06/5  rDev -24.8%

Poured a hazy gold color with a big white head that left sheets of lacing dripping down the glass. The odor was odd. Fruity, floral odors are there, but they share space with a sickly sweet smell that while not truly nasty, I nevertheless found a little bit disagreeable. The taste was primarily citrusy, with a little bit of spiciness in the background, along with that cloying sweetness I detected in the smell. The mouthfeel, without being too thick, has a slightly pulpy texture to it. This wasn't a bad beer, but I think it could have been better.

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

A good looking cloudy yellow body crowned with a very thick and voluminous white head greeted me and agreed to lace the glass whilst I drank it. A good flavor that is surprisingly light on clovish spicing this brew had more of a pulpy fruit sense. The aroma was quite light but hinted of grain notes with a small sense earthiness and even smaller sense of spice. A nice crisp finish capped the good drinking experience of this beer.

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

Funny story about Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse...

Roundabouts the the day I turned 21, a couple friends and I went to this Japanese steakhouse where they grill the food right in front of you on this big 10 square foot skillet (where, incidentally, we had Asahi and Sapporo... whoopdy doo). As if we didn't spend enough mulah on this unbelievably overpriced dinner where the supposedly masterful chef was unable to flip a shrimp tail into his hat even after several attempts, we decided to have a quiet little "German beer night" afterwards. None of us knew a lick about beer at the time, but we went to a local beer store right over the NY border and tried to make a night out of it. One of my buddies grabbed Warsteiner Dark, the other, Löwenbräu. Five minutes before closing time, they shut the lights out on me and I was forced to arbitrarily grab whatever German beer I could find. I saw that fat, smiling monk holding his flagon of ale and couldn't resist. Franziskaner it was!

When we got home, we tried the Warsteiner. Pretty good. The Lowenbrau was your typical German lager, complete with what American beer drinkers would call the 'skunked' taste. Then came the Franziskaner. The bloody f**kin Franziskaner.

Initially I said it tasted like cloves. Neither of my friends particularly enjoyed it, but I found it to be particularly repulsive. "Why, oh why," I asked, "would they make a beer that tastes like cloves?"

"Just drink it, you pussy," reasoned one of my friends. "You paid eight bucks for it."

So I drank it, painfully. For weeks it existed in my mind as the most repulsive beer I've ever tried.

But then I tried more beers and more importantly, more wheats and hefe-weisse's. Over time, I realized I had to try Franziskaner again. When I finally did, I was moderately surprised. It turned out to be a great beer, but by that time, it was pretty much what I expected.

Nowadays, I can see why the monk is so happy. If I was drinking Franziskaner all the time, I suppose I'd be happy too.

But I wouldn't necessarily be jubilant.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

The beer that changed me forever. Before I had my first Franziskaner it was only Macro beers for me. I just learned today that Interbrew is buying Spaten-Franziskaner so on this very sad day I thought I should review one of the best.

This beer pours the classic hefeweizen yellow hazy like fog rolling into the shores. It has a very nice pillow like white head that just fills the glass perfectly. The smell is beautiful of banana, cloves, and yeast. The taste is great of fresh bread with a little citrus flavor to back it up. Nice blend of spice and citrus go together so well. I could drink this beer all day. I have had this beer in Germany and in the States and while I would say I liked it better in Germany it could just be the location. But in either location a must try for anybody who likes hefeweizens.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a cloudy, yellow colour with a decent head. Smells almost sweet and fruity. Moderate, even lacing with a mildly spicy taste. (Cinnamon and cloves and such). Very good brew. Finishes with a little more spice than noticeable in initiale taste. Not quite as heavy as alot of other European beers, and quite easy to drink. I will most certainly purchase this one again.

3.8/5  rDev -6.6%

A big, white, foamy head. Auspicious beginnings. Nice, cloudy yellow/orange beer. The universe is in order. Thin, spotty lacing. Wow. Major spice in the nose. Sweet fruit that's not quite bananas detracts from the bananas. Spice and fruit from the front linger through the buttery, tangy middle to a dry, citrus, butter finish. Not overly sweet. Good. This is a decent hefe.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

pours out an cloudy orangeish/gold colour with a one inch white rocky head the has no intention of dying down anytime soon. the lacing is heavy and thick on my glass. banana bread and smoky cloves greet my nose...just the aroma i wanted to smell! a lemon citrus twang also wafts up from the glass...smells delicious. the taste is typical german hefe fare, with the typical clove and banana notes leaning on the earthy and smoky side. a creamy mouthfeel and an unusual twist of a dry finish leave one longing for another swallow. this is a highly drinkable and extremely quaffable german hefe-weizen. i'm as happy as the monk on the label drinking this fine brew. it's just what i needed on this hot, dry, windy late summer day in the red river valley. a thirst quenching delight!

3.38/5  rDev -17%

The guy on the bottle looks like he's enjoying this hefe, so hopefully I will too. It pours a typical Hefe appearance. Straw yellow & cloudy with some orange highlights. There is a big frothy white head, but it did'nt last long. Aroma is full of yummy grains. There are also some fruity esters coming through, though nothing really jumping out. tAste is very mild and clean, almost bland compared to some other hefes i've had. There is a grainy cereal taste up front, followed by some slight tropical fruitiness. All this is very mild, making this one quaffable brew. There is virtually no aftertaste, and watery mouthfeel followed a slightly stickyness. This is just your average german hefe. A good representative of the style, but I prefer something with a bit more flavor

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

This one is as refreshing as they come. A solid, wheat brew with hints of citrus, slighty tang sour, but oh so welcome come summertime! Classic example of the style, a semi cloudy appearance, a smooth bready taste and mouthfeel, and a nice dry finish with not a lot of bitterness. Get this one!

A cloudy tarnished gold with slight orange hues and a huge billowy head made of tight knit, collapsing bubbles on the top layer and looser and larger bubbles under the skin. Looks great, like a bubbling marshmallow pillow. Also, nice lacing.

The bottle had a sharp hefe smell of yeast, coriander, banana and sour citrus fruit

A good, mellow and very drinkable taste. A solid hefe in every aspect.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours the classic hefe deep & hazy, slightly peachy in color. Ample headage, it does however fade after a few minutes to a thin snow white, good stick throughout. Aromas of almost sweet, ripe bananna bread and a pinch of clove as well as very yeasty aromatics. The taste is very bready/yeasty with a delicate lingering acidity in the way of citrus/lemon-this tang especially hits you on the sides of the tongue. Deep and rich in the mouth, this is an extremely well balanced and refreshing brew with a long finish. One of the tops out there and surely worth revisiting. A visitor from Germany inspired me to try this after I went on and on about how I liked weihenstephaner. He claimed this was the best he'd tasted. I'd still say that weihenstephaner has the edge in my book.

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured a hazy, matte-orange with a gigantic white head. Yum. Smell is a mix of banana, clove, and bubblegum, but not too strong. Some yeastiness too. Taste is mellow estery banana/bubblegum wheat flavors up front with an acidic, tangy/bitter finish. Very refreshing, especially in this 90 degree weather.

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%

This hefe-weisse bier pours your typical cloudy yellow with a thick white head. The head gives away to a decent lace. The aroma is more yeast and cloves. A very faint banana smell is also included. The taste is typical, nothing special, a wheat/malt flavor with the yeast tones involved. Very drinkable, overall an nice average beer of this style

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

This is continuosly one of my favorite hefes in the world,pours a deep yellow/orange color with a very nice big blooming head.The aroma is yeasty and I always got somewhat of a smokey aroma from it with some banana clove presence.The taste is refreshing and a little lemony to go along with some nice spiciness.This is the first hefe I think of when thinking of good German style wheat beers.

3.82/5  rDev -6.1%

Medium gold color. Large head. Aroma is malty with a hint of bananas. This is a nice medium bodied weiss beer. Malty and wheaty, slightly sweet. Mild banana and clove flavor. Soft and slightly spicy. An excellent example of a German Wheat, Smooth. Light and refreshing. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly sweet. Wonder why I kept passing this beer by on the shelf.

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%

Hazy golden is color with a huge fluffy white head. Aroma is yeasty with bannana. Taste is fruity, lots of bannana and citrus fruits. The high carbonation makes for a wonderfull mouthfeel for a Hefe-weisse. I thought this was going to have a mass-produced taste, but I was quite surprised by the craftmanship in this beer.

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

Had this one on tap at the local pub. Pours a cloudy yellow with a small head and a little lacing on the glass. The aroma is malty and a little grainy with some yeasty hints coming through. Great tasting beer. Very smooth and drinkable but quite a lot wheaty. Quite enjoyable.

4.03/5  rDev -1%

Pours a huge whpped cream head that stays very nicely. A dark orange color. Not as aromatic as some wheat biers, yet pleasant none the less. Light banana, clove and wheat.

Quite the refresher on a hot day. Nice tang upon swallowing.

The old gentleman on the bottle label appears quite happy as he holds his stomach and apparently laments that his Bier ist leer.

John

4.06/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice head with cloudy orange/yellow appearance. Classic hefeweisen appearance. I can pick up some citrus and fruit in the nose. Good bite. I like carbonated bite. Some malt shines through also. This is very good beer. I would call this one of the best German Hefe's. I am marking it down due to inconsistancy from the green bottle.

3.58/5  rDev -12%

A big carbonation pop as the cap comes off..pours a frothy ol head at first that settles down to nearly nothing rather quickly...a cloudy light orange in color...nose is unremarkable...light...musty..leathery...taste is OK...a sweet wheat maltiness....and a yeasty mustiness....not my type of hefe but still rather tasty..this actually tastes liked a Belgian style beer to me......the body is medium...not as charged up as I expected at first but solid in this regard...as for drinkability I'd say it's a little above average...not a beer I would seek out as a Hefe, but it is pretty tasty in its own way...I'd try it again, but after drinking it side-by-side with Paulaner hefe there is no comparison....The Paulaner is hands down better...

4.26/5  rDev +4.7%

Wow, this poured a super cloudy orange tea color with a plentiful head that was self-fed from the high level of carbonation. I first poured this into what I am under the impression is a hefeweizen glass - one with a wide base that immediately flute inward and then back out, about a 16-18 oz. glass. With this glass the carbonation puts on quite the show, with spontaneously forming streams of gas that are constantly cascading upward. I definetely recommend using this type of glass, for when I used a regular glass, I saw nothing of the sort. This pour also had very large chunks of sediment, which I did not notice on the first few - they were nice and cloudy with fine sediment, the way I like it. The aroma is a nice, soft, banana-citrus, with a balanced yeast aroma. The taste is nice and reserved, as well as balanced. Basically, it is a bubbly, tropical, crisp 'n' light, sourdough taste, with a malty, raison-like finish, balanced well with a lip-smacking hoppiness. The flavor is nice and laid back, while at the same time being rather complex. I was very happy to discover this brew. I think this may be one of my favorite hefeweizens - the rating sure says so. BTW - my appearance rating was based on using a hefeweizen style glass, not the usual pint glass - try it and see what I mean!

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into my Franziskaner Weizen glass, complete with Santy Claus on it! Lots of initial foam which calms down to reveal a hazy golden-amber hue. 2 finger head with staying power and large lacing, but it doesn't stick. Lots of bubbles making the long trip up from the glass. That's an attractive brew.

Aroma is initially, and disturbingly, skunky for just the first, second inhale (*man* I hate that). It clears out rapidly though, allowing a very peppery, spicy nose to come through, so much so that I'm not even picking up much yeast. That's a first.

Taste is clove and yeast up front, bubbles clear that out for a sweet banana finish and slight sweet aftertaste. I start to taste the alcohol just a bit at the end.

Mouthfeel is smooth, full, but not heavy. Nice mouth coating helps hold the flavor until the next swig.

Great drinkability. Very tasty, great session beer, nothing to stop me from drinking my fill (except a supply shortage)...

3.69/5  rDev -9.3%

It arrived the color of orange juice. Yummy. The odd thing was, it had no head. Sure, a little lace around the edge, but no head? On a wheat beer? The aroma was very yeasty with a strong lemony citrus smell. The taste was tart, crisp, and sweet. Very tasty for a summer evening, but the lack of head was disappointing to say the least.

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%

16oz bottle with gold foil wrapping. This beer poured a lovely, cloudy yellow colour with a huge, fluffy, white head. The aromas were of bananas, cloves, and yeast. The taste was similar, what a wonderul flavor! The mouthfeel is light and crisp on the tongue and the drinkability is excellent as well.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu