Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Franziskaner Hefe-WeisseFranziskaner Hefe-Weisse

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-13-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pint on tap at The King's Head, London N8. Proper Franziskaner branded weiss glass. Classic example of the style, and in my view, second only to the Weihenstephaner. Looks gorgeous, smells lively, tastes great. Had to restrain myself from having another.

crowncapcollect, Aug 21, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

Well what can I say, this brew has become one of my favorite stand-by's whenever I am looking for something with lots of flavor while not being overwhelmingly overwhelming; this fine beer comes through every time.
Super hazy in appearance like a mango necter with that gen-u-ine German Hefe fluffy meringue head, the well balanced esters and fine mouthfeel make this one a real gem, especially for a mass produced and distributed product. It never gets winey, astringent or bitter as it warms, this is a excellent example of the style.

barknee, Aug 19, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

When I started with Weiss beers I tried Hacker Pschorr and Tucher, then I tried the Franziskaner, which I enjoyed best over these three. Since then I have tried local beers (and Two Brothers Ebel Wiess comes very close) but of all of these Franziskaner is my favorite. Is it my Catholic school upbringing that makes me say this? The monk with the bread and the beer on the label might be influencing me, I don't know.
I think it is the sharp sourness that I sense right away, compounded by the high amount of carbonation that really makes me see this beer as so unique. I pour it in into a (22oz) Weiss glass, and the head was 1-1/2 in thick, which gave off some amazing scents, bread and banana. The sour taste left very little aftertaste but was a thouroughly drinkable beer, having good balance and flavor throughout. The benefit of sipping allows me to enjoy it throughout it temperature stages, and this goes through a few flavors along the way.

chetripley, Aug 18, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -25.6%

Bottles brought to a BBQ by a friend who claims the beer to be the best Hefeweizen in tne world.

Appearance is a bright yellow.
Smell is of heavy clove and maybe other tropical fruit.
Taste is not of the best Hefs in the world. Almost funky bread flavor.
Mouthfeel is a tingle from the high carbonation.
Drinkability for me is one and done. Although I did enjoy it more when it warmed up and sat around awhile, which is rare for me and this type of beer.

joejost, Aug 17, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

bottle poured into my hefe glass...

a-nice two and half finger head that stayed around for quite a while and quite a bit hazy from the yeast....

s-initial smell is banana and clove then bread and some malty sweetness....no hops to be found

t-banana and bready musty character...sweet and malty....and a tad bit fruity..

m-medium mouthfeel and not to thick...coats the tongue and mouth well..

d-i could drink these all day....nice for a hot summer day while grilling

overall a solid hefe...not the best but not the worst

stoutfiend27, Aug 16, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

Cloudy yellow with a small one finger head that dissipated to a thin coating rather quickly.
Lemon is most obvious followed by some pepper and clove.
Citrus with some yeast character making an appearance. Some dark pepper rounds everything out.
Very smooth body, well carbonated and full enough to be satisfying yet does not interfere with drinkability.
Every sip demands another. What a great Hefe.

alovesupreme, Aug 14, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

It's taken a long time for me to come around to trying this. Not sure why, considering my appreciation of this style and high scores for other German brewers of this. Concerns about freshness I know has been some of the delay.
Classic aroma for style. Sweet basically fresh (but not vibrant as some can be). Mild banana and hints of lemon. Mild spice.
Looks as it should. I did roll the bottle first, so there is plenty of haziness. Full rich white head.
Nice tingly spiciness from the phenols and the tiny prickly carbonation. Good balance of tartness and fruity sweetness. Wheat flavors. Mild bitterness that helps stretch out the finish.
Feel is very nice in aforementioned carbonation, including some mild softness. Nice refreshing feel. Some sense of filling up from bubbles.
Drinks well on a warm summer night up north. Really hits the spot.

garymuchow, Aug 13, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from 16.9 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: first off, this thing poured with a *huge* head. Other than that, it has a nice light golden color and is pleasantly opaque. Did I mention a huge freaking head?

Smell: very wheaty with a little sweet citrus. Very nice indeed.

Taste: smooth citrus and wheat. Not particularly bitter. Really, everything I ask for in a hefe.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a nice level of carbonation that renders the beer rather creamy in texture.

Drinkability: boy howdy, I could drink this stuff. Its highly appealing texture along with a very pleasing smell/taste make this good for a few pints anytime.

flagmantho, Aug 10, 2009

I had off the tap at Harefield Road in Brooklyn.
A- It had a yellowish/brown color. Opaque-ish. No real head with no lace.
S- It came with a lemon, so that really came through. Some wheat scent to it as well.
T- Wheat, sweet taste. The lemon, which I didn't drop in, didn't come through, which I was happy about. Very solid Weiss.

Amalak, Aug 05, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a nice yellow tangerine with a foamy white head which falls quickly, which seems to be the norm for hefeweizens, leaving minimal lacing.

Smell is yeasty with a tangy citrus overtone, perhaps a little grassy too as well as a bit of alcohol.

Taste is an immediate banana bread to me, with clove kicking in second. The slightly bitter but crisp wheat is nicely balanced with a malt sweetness finishing slightly dry. Alcohol is noted in the taste as well.

Mouth feel seemed less creamy than the few other wheat beers I've tried. It's on the light side, somewhat fizzy but still a bit slick.

Quite drinkable, like all the wheats I've tried so far. This one seems a bit more "beery" to me if that makes sense. Overall quite balanced.

BlackBearForge, Aug 03, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +9.3%

This is a great hefe...right up there with Paulaner and Weihenstephaner. Straw color, good carbonation, nice big bubbly head, a little lacing. It's got everything.

Smell is citrus, cloves, and a bit of lemon..not overpowering but nice.

Taste is very good, astringency is just right. Cloves, banana, spice (pepper), a little wheat bitterness and lemon are all there and all in the right proportions.

Mouthfeel is crisp, carbonation just right and rich for the style.

Drinkability is great. I could drink this all night.

JayQue, Aug 02, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

poured from 16.9oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: cloudy, orange. intial large white head that settles to thin and long lasting.

S: bananas and clove spiciness and a hint of yeast aroma.

T: some wheat graininess, moderately strong banana notes that dominates over the mild clove taste, has a somewhat citrusy and spicy flavor.

MF: medium-light body and moderately high carbonation. effervescent, but creamy.

Drinkability: this is some good stuff.

porterwoobie, Aug 01, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

12 oz bottle.

A - Pours a murky straw color with a creamy head.

S - Straw, yeast, cloves.

T - Extremely refreshing! It almost has that mouth puckering white grape sensation to it. Cloves dominate the taste, with hints of banana. Overall a tangy and enjoyable hefe.

M - Sharp carbonation that compliments the style well.

D - Some people might find the tartness a bit much, but it keeps me coming back for more!

This is a beer I've had on tap many times which has made me avoid picking any bottles up. I'd say it's equally as good from a bottle as on tap with the bottle version being more carbonated. Overall it sets the standard for the style and and is just flat out an enjoyable beer. Salute!

Gish, Aug 01, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

looks about perfect for a hef, oaque, nice lacing and a good color

Smells like bananas and cloves with nutmeg just a little musty

Taste a very nice but notvery intense, a lot of banana and bready yeasty notes...

Mouthfeel kinds sucks, really lightweight with very little depth or carbo

Notes: solid for the style, but it just lacks depth

benclimbs, Jul 30, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

By far one of the best hefeweizens ever made, this beer never gets old- especially in the summertime.

Pours a cloudy but not opaque yellow with a stark white head constantly bubbling and regenerating itself.

Aroma is of banana and vanilla with some toasty malt aromas behind those produced by the yeast.

Taste is the perfect balance of clove and banana. The balance really comes out in the aftertaste on your tongue. I've had a lot of microbrewed hefe's that use the weihenstephan yeast strain from wyeast and it's way to banana-y. These guys just nailed it. Enough flavor to make it totally distinguishable from any other hefeweizen out there.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied but comes off a little light because of some lightly peppery carbonation. Drinkability is quite good for a hefeweizen. A lot of the time you can start to feel like a ripe banana after a few from this style but I remember sitting in beer gardens in Germany ordering Mass after Mass of these.

Good job Germany!

wiseguy142, Jul 30, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

12 oz green bottle got to love the fat monk. Poured into a traditional weizen glass.

Appearance: golden orange that is very very hazy. One inch head that is white and fluffy, with some sticky lacing action.

Smell: Yeast, and bananas, reminds me of when my great grandma would make homemade banana nut bread. There is also some clove action thrown in the mix.

Taste: So good and balanced, I get a fair mix of yeast, wheat, banana and clove. This beer never disappoints when it comes t flavor.

Mouth feel: Crisp and refreshing, with the perfect amount of carbonation, goes down as smooth as a glass of lemonade.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, the glass is empty before you know it, goes great with the summer sun.

Personal Notes: This is the beer that got me hooked on better beer when I drank it in the army way back in the late 90s. It is always just as good each time I revisit it.

earthboundagain, Jul 27, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured into a standard pint glass
Cloudy golden color with big billowy head
Aroma-Big wheat and subtle clove
Taste-Wheat, clove, bananas
Overall, a classic German wheat beer, very drinkable and refreshing. An excellent representation of the style. The happy monk on the label says it all

hosehead83, Jul 27, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

1 pint, .9 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass.

A - Hazy yellow in the glass, with a huge three-finger head that recedes quickly. A bit of sticky lacing hangs on the glass for a while but eventually fades away.

S - Banana bread, and a hint of citrus. Had to work a bit to get a good whiff.

T - Lemon and orange zest, bananas, cloves, yeast, bread, maybe a bit of walnut. Not quite as strong as the nose might suggest, but still delicious.

M - Decent carbonation, mouthfeel is very light. Goes down very smoothly.

D - Absurdly high. Typical of a hefe, but after this one I could probably just go ahead and finish the others that I bought without a second thought. Yum.

djmichaelk, Jul 26, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

After I gently aggitated the yeast, thus seperating and mixing it into this precious liquid, it poured into my gold-rimmed swirled Ayinger wheat beer glass a glowing golden yellow with a hint of orange - murky and cloudy. The bright white creamy dense head sits atop at 2" high - and stays! There's a lot of visible carbonation rising upwards too.

Bright & fresh citrus/lemon peel greets my nostrils first off. The banana & yeasty esters are there, but play a close supporting role to the refreshing citrus mist. The clove and vanilla are apparent and at equal measures of strength. Everything you looks for in a German whaet beer is definitely here, and the lemony godness is beckoning me to lift the glass...

...to my mouth, ahhhh! Wow, the citrusy/lemon eruption in the nose translates perfectly in the taste. Such bright & fresh notes of this lemon goodness, you'd never need to add an actual wedge to the rim IMHO. The malty and yeast sit in the backseat, giving the light clovey spice and vanilla a chance to mingle a bit more. THe banana isn't overpowering but still is well-mixed with the usual suspects of the German wheat beer taste elements.

Mouthfeel is a little lighter than medium with such a playful & spritzy amount of carbonation that lends itself perfectly to a warm summer afternoon.

Drinkability is crazy. Give me this beer with any warm/hot outdoor setting and I'l be perfectly fine.

Overall a German wheat beer that I've drank 2 litre boots of at The Essen Hause in Madison, WI for many-a-summers! The taste is almost exactly the same from draft to bottle also. I can say with Hefes being my favorite style, I prefer mine with a bit more malt traction/backbone. This on is very 'alive & kicking' with such a bright flavor profile and a good amount of playful carbonation. I kind of liken this beer to be a scrappy puppy to the sire of the wheat beer we know as Weihenstephaner. I'm not trying to force this beer into Weisteph's boots, but I cannot help to judge all German wheats to the mighty 'W'. Like I stated above, this wheat would be perfectly suited for hot outdoor activies & lounging. Heck, I might even pass on a Weisteph and keep this perky, playful wheat in my cluthes until the sun went down.

malty, Jul 26, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -34.2%

Pours a light yellow orange color with a two finger white head. The head gives way to some lacing. The aroma is kinda weak with a hint of coriander and maybe some orange. The taste was clove up front with a hint of citrus, however, the taste was very faint and it left me wanting more i felt it was a bit watery. The mouthfeel was good, good carbonation, and tangy. The drinkability is high, you could have a lot of these and be very fine.

goblue3509, Jul 25, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -6.6%

20 oz draft on tap at Pazzo's Lexington. Served in the appropriate Franziskaner weizen glass, albeit with a lemon wedge which I quickly discarded.

A: Golden-orange body with a tall, whipped/rocky head. Lots of good lacing on the sides of the glass with each sip.

S: Kind of killed by the lemon wedge that was served on the rim of the glass. However, beyond fresh lemon, I could still pick out hints of coriander, orange peel, some pepper and maybe some cinnamon. Nose is quite tangy with the extra lemon fragrance adding to the citrusy orange/tangerine aromas. There is also that familiar musky wheat husk scent.

T: Lightly sweet with lemon, tangerine, orange juice, honey and a touch of bananas. Spicy/tangy cloves, coriander and fruit rinds. Some doughy, fresh baked bread flavors and grainy, cereal-like wheat notes come in during the finish.

M: Crisp, light body that delivers a slightly powdery mouthfeel - similar to what you would expect from a Belgian Tripel.

D: This hefe is pleasant and quite easy to drink, but it doesn't hold a candle to Weihenstephaner on tap.

A nice hefeweizen, but again, I can't help but feel that it plays second fiddle to Weihenstephaner in every respect - appearance, smell, taste, mouthfeel and drinkability. Not a bad alternative if you can't find Weihenstephaner or your favorite pub doesn't have Weihenstephaner on tap.

Buschyfor3, Jul 23, 2009

Poured from a half liter bottle into a tall Weizen glass.

Appearance: Deep golden and hazy, so cloudy that no light gets through (although, I do swirl the bottles to get all the yeast mixed in for the extra flavor). One to two finger head with nice sticky lacing.

Smell: Ahhh, lovely. Sweet yeast with bananas, bubblegum, cloves. This is a "real deal" Hefeweizen.

Taste: As good as it smells. This Hefe, along with Weihenstephaner, are the creams of the crop for German Hefeweizens. I love the sweet and spicy phenols in this Hefe, and the taste finishes crips and refreshing. This one is all about the yeast.

Mouth feel: Smooth and creamy, with just the right bite of carbonation on the finish.

Drinkability: The fact that I drank this one all over Germany while waiting on trains back in the 80's, and have had hundreds (thousands?) over the years since says it all. This is a world class Hefe and one of my favorites.

ChopperSmith, Jul 22, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

poured from 1pt.9oz brown bottle into favorite weizen glass.

a- murky, colors ranging from bright yellows to orange. reminds me of a summer sunset. 3finger head recedes to just under 1 finger cap leaving very little lacing. head is very white and smooth. very effervescent, tons of visable carbonation.

s- smells of a typical hefe, slighty more on the citrusy side. of course yeast, and a kind of sour fruit juice smell. apple/orange/ lemon

t- sour fruits, malt, a bit of yeast. a good amount of citrus.

m- very crisp/ carbonated body. slightly lighter body than other hefe's.

d- goes down very easy. i could drink this all day. this bottle cost me about $2.50 including tax and deposit so i would probably buy it again. this is a great overall hefe with great drinkability. i would suggest this to someone new to craft beer world.

tj4288, Jul 22, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottle poured into my Amsterdam Weizen Glass
A - Cloudy, orange pale gold color like a hefe should
S - yeast, wheat, spice and clove notes along with banana
T - a pretty complex hefe, get the spice notes with some clove. yeasty, banana is def there
M - Light tasting with high carbonation
D - refreshing and crisp. The complex taste is what made this beer overall enjoying for me. Good hefeweizen.

BayouBengal1537, Jul 22, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours hazy golden-orange with two finger head that slowly fades to dense layer, downsliding lacing. Aroma is yeast, wheat bread and banana.

Taste is similar to aroma, but seems to be have more clove and more fruity with citrus being the most pronounced, aftertaste is rather bready. Mouthfeel is crisp medium with moderate and slightly prickly carbonation.

Overall, very good. As it can be found in many supermarkets in Europe, I buy it time from time just to refresh how a well-made Hefeweizen tastes like.

atis, Jul 20, 2009