Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Franziskaner Hefe-WeisseFranziskaner Hefe-Weisse

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-13-2001)
View: Beers (17) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Alström Bros
donteatpoop

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

I'm glad I made this purchase.

There was a bit of sediment in the bottom of the bottle, and I rolled the beer around a bit to get some of it up before opening and pouring.

It was very cloudy and had a beautiful yellow-orange glow. The scent was appealing, wheaty and fruity. It tasted primarily of hops and banana. This went down smooth and was a bit creamy.

I will undoubtedly drink this many times again.

03-01-2008 05:31:25 | More by donteatpoop
charlzm

Consumed 02/29/08.

Pours a very cloudy lemon yellow. Plenty of active carbonation. A nice white foam head a finger high disappears after a couple of minutes.

Mild cloves and bananas in aroma.

Mouthfeel is creamy and a bit astringent.

Mild wheat, banana and clove flavors. Noticeable by its absence is the typical metallic tang of wheat beers.

Lingers pleasingly on the palate a while after drinking.

If only the flavor were a little stronger...

03-01-2008 02:55:40 | More by charlzm
trackstar1043

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

A - Pours golden clouded whaet with off white head the has fantasitic retention and left behind a sticky lace.

S - Wounderful aroma of bananas, hops, citrus and grains.

T - Just as great as the smell, with a heavy character with strong fruit and citrus flavors with a slight citrus bitter finish.

M - Heavy and creamy.

D - Great example of a Hefe, could drink this any day.

02-28-2008 17:06:14 | More by trackstar1043
ROMER79

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a cloudy golden color with a heafty 3 finger white head if poured correctly. Smelled of hops and citrus. You could really taste honey and lemon coming through. But I think that this beer also has like a banana or plantane flavor as well. Feels cool and refreshing on each sip and it is very easy to drink.

02-26-2008 19:58:25 | More by ROMER79
youngleo

3.35/5  rDev -17.5%

A- Poured to a 3 fingered white head. Was a cloudy hazy yellow. Left some lacing with every swallow. Head lasted throughout the whole bottle.
S- Had a slight banana smell. Also of wheat.
T- Tasted like bananas, wheat and a touch of citrus.
M- Had some good carbonation, perhaps too much. Otherwise it was on the light side.
D- I couldnt drink these all the time. But it did have a flavor that perhaps you might crave, and you just had to have one.

02-22-2008 20:11:19 | More by youngleo
cherokeedan

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

Ahh What a beer! Poured from a bottle into tall Weizen glass. A light golden / orange cloudy appearance with a huge 2.5 inch head that clears the top edge of the glass! Smells of bananas and maybe even a little orange. Taste is superb, bananas, wheat, citrus, and perfect carbonation. A very refreshing drink to say the least. My very favorite of one of my favorite styles.

I will always be a little partial to this beer because it was my first 'true' beer and it helped begin me on my current journey toward beer aficionado. What a long strange trip I know it will be. I am off to pour another! Cheers!!

02-21-2008 03:24:09 | More by cherokeedan
birchstick

Colorado

4.1/5  rDev +1%

pours a hazy medium yellow with a nice head.

This smells great for a hefe. Citrus lime, with some banana, and a touch of hops.

It tastes very good as well. Has a lot of the tastes that was alluded to in the smell and a nice banana aftertaste. It goes down smoothly and and is very easy to drink.

This is definitely one of the better hefe-weisses I have had...

02-21-2008 01:51:18 | More by birchstick
KeggerKen

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

A great refreashing Hefe poured into a Weizen glass with giant billowing head. A thick cloudy yellow/gold appearence. smells of banana and wheat and the taste holds true. A crisp flavorable beer that is truly one of my favorite beers and definitely one of the best Hefe-weizens around.

PROST!

02-21-2008 00:37:34 | More by KeggerKen
t0rin0

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a pint glass from the 12 oz bottle. The beer is a light yellow color that has plenty of white foam on top. Somewhat hazy. Smells of soft wheat with some banana in the background. Not much there other than that. The taste was heavier on the banana than the wheat but both were present. Plenty of CO2 and very enjoyable. Its nice to see a simple beer that doesn't need a ton of complexity to be good.

02-19-2008 21:29:50 | More by t0rin0
czfreeman

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Ich liebe dieses Bier! I love this beer! Can't believe I haven't reviewed it yet. Pours out a golden-hazy hay color. Super billowy with creamy head long retention. This beer is very big on the sour, clove, yeat, banana aromas. Very suprising to find such a quality brew from such a large brewery. Flavor is good, cloves, banana, fruity, yeasts, wheats. Mouthfeel is slightly creamy, but more on the thin side. Makes for easy quaffing anytime if looking just for some simple refreshment. I enjoy this beer anytime.

02-18-2008 19:33:16 | More by czfreeman
MrIncognito

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from a 1-pint bottle into a tuliped pilsner.

Head forms very easily on this beer even with a careful pour. A very fizzy, light head. Very hazy brown, can hardly see through it.

Smell of wheat and ripe bananas.

Taste of wheat and bananas. Crisp mouthful with perfect carbonation for this style. A great wheat beer taste. The more I sip the more I taste the ripe bananas. Not much tartness if at all. No hop bitterness.

Mouthfell is nice. Smooth and lightly bubbly. Not overly crips but not at all flat. Goes down easy.

I've had this beer TONS of times but none tasted as good as the one I had in Germany. It comes just that much fresher there. Still incredibly good here in the states.

02-14-2008 13:04:37 | More by MrIncognito
clayrock81

Let me just say that this isn't the best Hefe I have ever had, but it is damn close.
Poured into my hefe glass and received a nice foamy head that died quickly and left little lacings but did leave a couple of little yeasties on the bottom of my glass. Classic cloudy orange body matched with a nice citric smell, I picked up some orange peel as I was pouring, oranges, bananas, with light spices like clove, but nothing strong like a pepper. The taste is less fruit and more spice in my opionion, with the clove really striking the tongue and not suffocated under fruit or sourness. There is still a good amount of banana and orange in there which causes the mouthfeel to balance with a little tartness and dryness. Like I said, not my first choice, but I could drink this any day.

02-13-2008 23:18:44 | More by clayrock81
Deadstar

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Look: A pale yellowish-gold with a nice white head.

Smell: Reminded me a bit of bananas, something fruity in it.

Taste: This reminds me a bit of the bananas out of a pack of Runts candy, at least the end taste after you swallow one down. Some citrus flavors in there as well.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated, but not the lightest feeling beer, it has a bit of weight to it.

Drinkability: I liked the taste but it wouldn't be something that I would drink a lot of in one sitting. Overall the drink is quite refreshing and I imagine that it would pair very well with some great foods, however I'd probably only be able to do a bottle or two of this before I'd want something different.

Overall a very solid drink.

edit: Just hit the bottom of the bottle after pouring the last of it into my glass. Very tasty, have bought it before and will definately buy it again.

02-09-2008 02:44:35 | More by Deadstar
MmmIPA

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

My last hefe till I buy some more.Im excited to try one of the best hefes in the world.

This beer is the stout of hefes.Its completely opaque,you cant see shit through the other side of the glass.Thick rocky head that sits atop of a cloudy yellow body of yeast.The head falls to a one finger thick patch.

yeast,lemon and other citrus notes.

very lemony,very puckery.yeasty,I dont taste any spices.Some hop flavor,and yeasty.

Carbonation is awesome,when I first poured it.It looked rough but its tamed down since then.

This may be the perfest hefe.Its very awesome and I will look for this again in any format.

02-07-2008 15:25:42 | More by MmmIPA
BMan1113VR

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Pretty little Hefeweizen with a cloudy body and nice white head. Tastes better with food (Bavarian Wurst) than by itself. Filling (heavyish body) and has a noticable effect of its alcohol for the style. Overall, a good buy, but there are better weissbiers out there.

02-07-2008 14:52:46 | More by BMan1113VR
TheTrevor

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer poured a cloudy copper color with a huge four-finger head that quickly dissipated. The smell is mostly malt with some definite citrus hints and some yeastiness. The taste starts off with some mild lemon citrus flavors and sweet maltiness that is followed up by some tartness and spiciness, a very tasty beer. The mouthfeel is lightly carbonated and makes for a very refreshing beer. I could imagine reaching for this beer again and again on a hot summer day.

02-05-2008 23:03:34 | More by TheTrevor
jenbys2001

Japan

2.6/5  rDev -36%

I didn't care much for this beer, which could have to do with the freshness here in the states. Something about this brew tasted rather old and stale to me. It had a medicinal, alcohol smell to it when first poured in a glass, which I found unpleasant. The head was foamy and the color was actually lighter and less cloudy than other Hefeweizens I've tried. This beer was very carbonated which lent each sip a tart sharpness which finished with a heavy banana flavor. As I continued sipping, the scent mellowed out a bit and became reminiscent of brown sugar and cloves. Hopefully I'll make it back Munich again where I can sample a fresh Franziskaner. Until then I doubt I would purchase it again.

01-27-2008 21:20:58 | More by jenbys2001
cdkrenz

Wisconsin

4.63/5  rDev +14%

Appearance - Wonderful pour topped with an inch and a half of frothy goodness. The body is a hazy orange. No lacing.

Smell - It has a perfect malt and slight citrus aroma. It is extremely difficult to not take a sip.

Taste - Amazing malt with subtle clove and even a hint at banana flavor. This is a great tasting beer.

Mouthfeel - The feel is a bit coarse but the texture brings out the flavor.

~ This beer really made me realize there are some great brews outside of the great state of Wisconsin. I'd happily enjoy the Hefe Weisse anytime.

01-25-2008 23:24:26 | More by cdkrenz
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16 oz bottle from the Coop for about $2.50.. poured into my smaller weizen glass.

Big explosive head dies slowly leaving nice lacing.. hazy light gold brew.

Aroma is less spicy than expected.. some cloves and only a touch of banana.. predominantly pale malts and wheat

Flavor is much more spicy than the aroma.. quite a bit of clove and pink bubblegum with just a smidge of bananas.. a touch sweeter than the Paulaner I just had... but the extra sweetness helps tie all the wonderful flavors together. very smooth viscosity with adequate carbonation... long spicy dry finish.. great.

Hefe's probably make up less than 1% of beers I buy, but I am really developing an appreciation for them and will buy them more often... The Franziskaner is right up there with all off the best from Germany.

01-23-2008 07:46:54 | More by JohnGalt1
yourefragile

District of Columbia

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

12 oz green bottle poured into a weizen glass

A: Hazy, solid deep yellow/orange/amber color. No floating yeast visible. Giant white head that is very persistent and present until the end but leaves very no lacing.
S: Nice and strong, yeast, lots of banana, a little malt, a little spice
T: The banana flavor is much stronger and upfront than I remember from having this beer before. Medium bodied and very clean and crisp with a lot of carbonation. Yeast flavor in the finish and aftertaste. Very little citrus and spice, but strongest taste comes from banana and malt. Overall, very enjoyable, not a remarkable hefe, but very good.

01-22-2008 19:50:42 | More by yourefragile
SirSaranac

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

A- Pours with a huge frothy head... WICKED cloudy yet golden straw in color. A bit more carbonated than I'd like.

S- Banana! wheat malt of course.... pear? yeast....

T- Wheat malt... sweet... Slight banana... heavy banana in the finish though. *Eh, halfway through the glass I noticed a slight skunkiness... Not sure if this is a character of the beer, or just this particular bottle.. I only had 1 bottle to judge.

M- Highly carbonated... light body... dry finish... the slightest of bite

D- This is a very drinkable hefe... however, I really hope that it was just this bottle that was slightly skunky. However, if it IS a characteristic of this brew, then it takes away from the overall drinkability.

01-22-2008 05:57:22 | More by SirSaranac
BeerTaster

4.1/5  rDev +1%

I poured this beer into a hefe glass and swirled the last few drops. Formed a huge head and had light spice and banana in the aroma. The taste had banana as well as some citrus. The mouthfeel was highly carbonated the way it should be. This is a good hefe not the best but still a good representation of the style.

01-20-2008 03:09:52 | More by BeerTaster
ASymon13

Colorado

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

From a 1pt. 9oz bottle into a weizen glass, making sure to get as much yeast as possible.

It has a nice big fluffy white head, with some hints of tan, and is a very murky tan with all the yeast.

Aromas of banana and yeasty phenols with a light spicyness are apparent.

The yeast really came through in the taste, just how I wanted it to be. Banana flavors along with some citrus flavors are also there.

The mouthfeel is nice and light, with the carbonation pleasantly sending the nice light bubbles jumping around on the toungue.

It is definitely drinkable and sessionable. Nice and light, it is exactly what I want in a german weissbier.

01-17-2008 04:27:26 | More by ASymon13
shakercuda

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I bought this beer at Goodies number 3 in dallas, they have a great selection and there prices are right on.

I like the taste, its somewhat in the middle of all the Weizen beir that i've tasted. Which being in the middle is good, not to filling, not to sweet, not to filling, great when your having more than one.

i would have rated it higher, but i like the dunkel better.

01-12-2008 18:02:01 | More by shakercuda
alwbii

Missouri

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

I love this beer. It never disappoints. I tried it for the first time about a year and a half ago and I was very very happy.

I am drinking a couple of beers tonight from a six pack bottled in 2006 and it tastes great.

A- nice slightly cloudy, medium ice tea color. Nice head when pouring although it does fall fairly quickly.

S- Smells good, you get a nice spice and citrus smell, and nice little snap or yeast.

T- Tastes great, a great orange and cardamom spice taste. Also a similarity to the Grains of Paradise taste you get in SA Summer Ale only more subtle and enjoyable.

M- nice and crisp, and with a great tingle on the tip of the tongue. A bit like a good champagne, only more robust and thick. Starts with a bit of a pinch and finshes very mellow.

D- Great drinkability. I would compare it to the difference between a fliet mignon and a porterhouse. You can eat a pound of each, but after a porter house you push the plate away and stay that was good and I am stuffed. The filet leaves more of a that was great I'd like another please feeling. This beer is a filet.

01-12-2008 05:59:47 | More by alwbii