Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Franziskaner Hefe-WeisseFranziskaner Hefe-Weisse

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-13-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev -10.3%

Enjoyed from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

This was a pretty good german hefeweizen. It poured with a semi-cloudy orange body and a creamy white head. The taste featured fresh wheat and an ever-so-slightly cloying citric sweetness. A good and drinkable brew.

cbleary, Mar 06, 2008

A-pours a hazy gold with orange undertones,thin pillowy head,but abundant as it leaves behind very small amounts of lacing

S-cloves,apple juice,very sweet and inviting

T-light citrus bite up front,some banana,clove again and suttle yeast

M-cant really say a light body nor a medium...so Ill say it has a great well rounded body with lots of carbonation,and a mildly dry finish

D-very good El Hefe!

orangemoustache, Mar 05, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured from bottle into a standard pint glass.

It poured a hazy golden brown with an inch thick head of white foam that all but disappeared before I put the glass down. It left absolutely no lacing on the glass. I could have put the glass right back in the cabinet without anyone noticing it was used.

The smell was faint, fruity. I cant place the fruit but it smells sweet. Had to try several times to pick up a real scent.

The taste was good, not great. Mildly sweet and slightly fruity. A little too much like a lager. The taste disappeared immediately after I swallowed.

Definitely over carbonated. Carbonation overpowered the taste down to the last sip.

This beer is definitely worth trying, and is a descent Weisbeir but not a great Weisbeir. I would not go out of my way to find this beer but would drink it if it was in front of me. The carbonation was a little too much for this style of beer and I think that effected the overall experience.

hyland24, Mar 05, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

From notes

A:Cloudy/hazy straw color with three fingers of white head.

S: Wheat banana and clove. Some bread as well. Very true to the style.

T: The wheat is more prominent in this beer than other examples of the style. The yeast taste is there but not up front. This works for me.

M: Light med body. Low carbonation that leads to it being refreshing.

D: Super drinkable. A great heff that is too easy to session.

aerozeppl, Mar 02, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

A velvet of honey-gold, ok call it amber waives of grain, even though this one is from Germany. The new Franziskaner glass froths with a joyful white head that quickly fades to a thin blanket which stays with the elixir all the way down to the bulb in the bottom of the glass.

How did they get a banana in this bottle. The aroma is definitely there, but like the actual fruit, it is subtle and fresh.

The banana theme continues with light sweetness and unfolds as the temperature rises.

There is no apparent alcohol, as this is a pure clean liquid.

An easy drinker, this one is refreshing like warm sunshine on a severe clear Winter day.

SLeffler27, Mar 01, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

I'm glad I made this purchase.

There was a bit of sediment in the bottom of the bottle, and I rolled the beer around a bit to get some of it up before opening and pouring.

It was very cloudy and had a beautiful yellow-orange glow. The scent was appealing, wheaty and fruity. It tasted primarily of hops and banana. This went down smooth and was a bit creamy.

I will undoubtedly drink this many times again.

donteatpoop, Mar 01, 2008

Consumed 02/29/08.

Pours a very cloudy lemon yellow. Plenty of active carbonation. A nice white foam head a finger high disappears after a couple of minutes.

Mild cloves and bananas in aroma.

Mouthfeel is creamy and a bit astringent.

Mild wheat, banana and clove flavors. Noticeable by its absence is the typical metallic tang of wheat beers.

Lingers pleasingly on the palate a while after drinking.

If only the flavor were a little stronger...

charlzm, Mar 01, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

A - Pours golden clouded whaet with off white head the has fantasitic retention and left behind a sticky lace.

S - Wounderful aroma of bananas, hops, citrus and grains.

T - Just as great as the smell, with a heavy character with strong fruit and citrus flavors with a slight citrus bitter finish.

M - Heavy and creamy.

D - Great example of a Hefe, could drink this any day.

trackstar1043, Feb 28, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a cloudy golden color with a heafty 3 finger white head if poured correctly. Smelled of hops and citrus. You could really taste honey and lemon coming through. But I think that this beer also has like a banana or plantane flavor as well. Feels cool and refreshing on each sip and it is very easy to drink.

ROMER79, Feb 26, 2008
3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

A- Poured to a 3 fingered white head. Was a cloudy hazy yellow. Left some lacing with every swallow. Head lasted throughout the whole bottle.
S- Had a slight banana smell. Also of wheat.
T- Tasted like bananas, wheat and a touch of citrus.
M- Had some good carbonation, perhaps too much. Otherwise it was on the light side.
D- I couldnt drink these all the time. But it did have a flavor that perhaps you might crave, and you just had to have one.

youngleo, Feb 22, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Ahh What a beer! Poured from a bottle into tall Weizen glass. A light golden / orange cloudy appearance with a huge 2.5 inch head that clears the top edge of the glass! Smells of bananas and maybe even a little orange. Taste is superb, bananas, wheat, citrus, and perfect carbonation. A very refreshing drink to say the least. My very favorite of one of my favorite styles.

I will always be a little partial to this beer because it was my first 'true' beer and it helped begin me on my current journey toward beer aficionado. What a long strange trip I know it will be. I am off to pour another! Cheers!!

cherokeedan, Feb 21, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

pours a hazy medium yellow with a nice head.

This smells great for a hefe. Citrus lime, with some banana, and a touch of hops.

It tastes very good as well. Has a lot of the tastes that was alluded to in the smell and a nice banana aftertaste. It goes down smoothly and and is very easy to drink.

This is definitely one of the better hefe-weisses I have had...

birchstick, Feb 21, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

A great refreashing Hefe poured into a Weizen glass with giant billowing head. A thick cloudy yellow/gold appearence. smells of banana and wheat and the taste holds true. A crisp flavorable beer that is truly one of my favorite beers and definitely one of the best Hefe-weizens around.

PROST!

KeggerKen, Feb 21, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured into a pint glass from the 12 oz bottle. The beer is a light yellow color that has plenty of white foam on top. Somewhat hazy. Smells of soft wheat with some banana in the background. Not much there other than that. The taste was heavier on the banana than the wheat but both were present. Plenty of CO2 and very enjoyable. Its nice to see a simple beer that doesn't need a ton of complexity to be good.

t0rin0, Feb 19, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Ich liebe dieses Bier! I love this beer! Can't believe I haven't reviewed it yet. Pours out a golden-hazy hay color. Super billowy with creamy head long retention. This beer is very big on the sour, clove, yeat, banana aromas. Very suprising to find such a quality brew from such a large brewery. Flavor is good, cloves, banana, fruity, yeasts, wheats. Mouthfeel is slightly creamy, but more on the thin side. Makes for easy quaffing anytime if looking just for some simple refreshment. I enjoy this beer anytime.

czfreeman, Feb 18, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured from a 1-pint bottle into a tuliped pilsner.

Head forms very easily on this beer even with a careful pour. A very fizzy, light head. Very hazy brown, can hardly see through it.

Smell of wheat and ripe bananas.

Taste of wheat and bananas. Crisp mouthful with perfect carbonation for this style. A great wheat beer taste. The more I sip the more I taste the ripe bananas. Not much tartness if at all. No hop bitterness.

Mouthfell is nice. Smooth and lightly bubbly. Not overly crips but not at all flat. Goes down easy.

I've had this beer TONS of times but none tasted as good as the one I had in Germany. It comes just that much fresher there. Still incredibly good here in the states.

MrIncognito, Feb 14, 2008

Let me just say that this isn't the best Hefe I have ever had, but it is damn close.
Poured into my hefe glass and received a nice foamy head that died quickly and left little lacings but did leave a couple of little yeasties on the bottom of my glass. Classic cloudy orange body matched with a nice citric smell, I picked up some orange peel as I was pouring, oranges, bananas, with light spices like clove, but nothing strong like a pepper. The taste is less fruit and more spice in my opionion, with the clove really striking the tongue and not suffocated under fruit or sourness. There is still a good amount of banana and orange in there which causes the mouthfeel to balance with a little tartness and dryness. Like I said, not my first choice, but I could drink this any day.

clayrock81, Feb 13, 2008
3.8/5  rDev -6.6%

Look: A pale yellowish-gold with a nice white head.

Smell: Reminded me a bit of bananas, something fruity in it.

Taste: This reminds me a bit of the bananas out of a pack of Runts candy, at least the end taste after you swallow one down. Some citrus flavors in there as well.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated, but not the lightest feeling beer, it has a bit of weight to it.

Drinkability: I liked the taste but it wouldn't be something that I would drink a lot of in one sitting. Overall the drink is quite refreshing and I imagine that it would pair very well with some great foods, however I'd probably only be able to do a bottle or two of this before I'd want something different.

Overall a very solid drink.

edit: Just hit the bottom of the bottle after pouring the last of it into my glass. Very tasty, have bought it before and will definately buy it again.

Deadstar, Feb 09, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +13%

My last hefe till I buy some more.Im excited to try one of the best hefes in the world.

This beer is the stout of hefes.Its completely opaque,you cant see shit through the other side of the glass.Thick rocky head that sits atop of a cloudy yellow body of yeast.The head falls to a one finger thick patch.

yeast,lemon and other citrus notes.

very lemony,very puckery.yeasty,I dont taste any spices.Some hop flavor,and yeasty.

Carbonation is awesome,when I first poured it.It looked rough but its tamed down since then.

This may be the perfest hefe.Its very awesome and I will look for this again in any format.

MmmIPA, Feb 07, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -12%

Pretty little Hefeweizen with a cloudy body and nice white head. Tastes better with food (Bavarian Wurst) than by itself. Filling (heavyish body) and has a noticable effect of its alcohol for the style. Overall, a good buy, but there are better weissbiers out there.

BMan1113VR, Feb 07, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer poured a cloudy copper color with a huge four-finger head that quickly dissipated. The smell is mostly malt with some definite citrus hints and some yeastiness. The taste starts off with some mild lemon citrus flavors and sweet maltiness that is followed up by some tartness and spiciness, a very tasty beer. The mouthfeel is lightly carbonated and makes for a very refreshing beer. I could imagine reaching for this beer again and again on a hot summer day.

TheTrevor, Feb 05, 2008
2.6/5  rDev -36.1%

I didn't care much for this beer, which could have to do with the freshness here in the states. Something about this brew tasted rather old and stale to me. It had a medicinal, alcohol smell to it when first poured in a glass, which I found unpleasant. The head was foamy and the color was actually lighter and less cloudy than other Hefeweizens I've tried. This beer was very carbonated which lent each sip a tart sharpness which finished with a heavy banana flavor. As I continued sipping, the scent mellowed out a bit and became reminiscent of brown sugar and cloves. Hopefully I'll make it back Munich again where I can sample a fresh Franziskaner. Until then I doubt I would purchase it again.

jenbys2001, Jan 27, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Appearance - Wonderful pour topped with an inch and a half of frothy goodness. The body is a hazy orange. No lacing.

Smell - It has a perfect malt and slight citrus aroma. It is extremely difficult to not take a sip.

Taste - Amazing malt with subtle clove and even a hint at banana flavor. This is a great tasting beer.

Mouthfeel - The feel is a bit coarse but the texture brings out the flavor.

~ This beer really made me realize there are some great brews outside of the great state of Wisconsin. I'd happily enjoy the Hefe Weisse anytime.

cdkrenz, Jan 25, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16 oz bottle from the Coop for about $2.50.. poured into my smaller weizen glass.

Big explosive head dies slowly leaving nice lacing.. hazy light gold brew.

Aroma is less spicy than expected.. some cloves and only a touch of banana.. predominantly pale malts and wheat

Flavor is much more spicy than the aroma.. quite a bit of clove and pink bubblegum with just a smidge of bananas.. a touch sweeter than the Paulaner I just had... but the extra sweetness helps tie all the wonderful flavors together. very smooth viscosity with adequate carbonation... long spicy dry finish.. great.

Hefe's probably make up less than 1% of beers I buy, but I am really developing an appreciation for them and will buy them more often... The Franziskaner is right up there with all off the best from Germany.

JohnGalt1, Jan 23, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

12 oz green bottle poured into a weizen glass

A: Hazy, solid deep yellow/orange/amber color. No floating yeast visible. Giant white head that is very persistent and present until the end but leaves very no lacing.
S: Nice and strong, yeast, lots of banana, a little malt, a little spice
T: The banana flavor is much stronger and upfront than I remember from having this beer before. Medium bodied and very clean and crisp with a lot of carbonation. Yeast flavor in the finish and aftertaste. Very little citrus and spice, but strongest taste comes from banana and malt. Overall, very enjoyable, not a remarkable hefe, but very good.

yourefragile, Jan 22, 2008