Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Alström Bros
3.59/5  rDev -11.8%

Franziskaner's Hefeweisse is a pleasant summertime alternative to the IPAs and Pale Ales that have been making a name for themselves in the past few years. It is one of the single lightest craft beers I've had all season. What it lacks in alcohol content, it makes up for in its subtle flavor, and calm palpability. While one wouldn't want to spend an evening drinking a 6-pack of this Hefe, I strongly recommend it as a sort of "after work" or "quick stop" beer. Drinking more than one in the course of an evening is unnecessary, and not even that strongly recommended.

The flavor is quietly fruity. A smooth, nasal taste permeates to a pleasant back-end. The low alcohol content allows the beer's full flavor to ride through, though I am curious as to how this particular Hefe would in fact taste with a slightly higher percent.

I'm aware of several Franziskaner drinkers who prefer to enjoy this beer with an orange slice (as popularized by the pale ale craze 2001-2004). While I can understand the desire to add fruitiness to a light beer, the Hefeweisse is already brewed with such excellent fruit, I can't recommend adding anything more to it. I believe this is a beer to be enjoyed as-is, and while adding fruit may take away the palate sting of, say, BLUE MOON, the Franziskaner needs no added flavoring on the part of the drinker.

Overall: The Franziskaner Hefeweisse is not the greatest beer in the world. But it is chock-full of fruity, summertime flavor, is poured with a rich, thick head, and is an ideal beer to enjoy during those dog-days of July.

3.73/5  rDev -8.4%

Bottle to glass with breakfast...

Pours a perfect gold hefe color (you know the one) with the best head I've seen on a hefe to date.

Smell bananas and big time cloves, might even smell the alcohol in this one.

Taste of cloves and cloves with bananas and citrus. And cloves.

I felt it was a little thin and bubbly for a hefe.

Drinks easy, like orange juice. Was a wonderful compliment to my scrambled eggs and toast.

Overall: nice hefe, little thin

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

Alluring golden color that looks as delicious as it smells. Sweet aroma with touches of banana and mixed fruit. High carbonation that zaps the tongue and can get in the way of the flavor is the only criticism. Nice touch of spices, lemon zest, and banana makes for a great wheat beer. I could sit around all day hanging out with this monk and I plan to. A wonderful, genuine wheat beer.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

able wheat depth; nice receipt along outside of tongue with lively, almost carbonated zest;complex but fails to take the flavor beyond the first structure; nevertheless, a very satisfying hefe that complements great outside weather (warm or cool) and most entrees - from a simple pasta or bright seafood (shrimp or scallops would be my choice) to the more robust flavors of pork or seasoned chicken in simple presentations or, even, more diverse asian dishes. I would not select this beer, however, with beef entrees.All in all, a beer that rewards but doesn't awe

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%

I loved this beer.

When it comes to hefeweizens and witbeirs I do like a little citrus/ fruity taste in them, but this beer did not need anything. It was such a smooth beer, the texture was almost creamy. A cloudy yellow haze with a thin head that smelled of wheat and lemon. The lemon taste was extremely subtle which I liked a lot. You got the whole taste of the beer all the way through with no regrets on the aftertaste. I could of definitely had another.

I'll get this beer again for sure, you should too.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Served as a cloudy apricot colored beer with moderate white puffy head.

Smell shoes a signifiacnt of of bananas, with some spices in the background.

There are more banana flvors in the taste, with a light refreshing tartness.

Leaves a plasant flavor sensation in the mouth that compliments the meal rather than antagonizing it.

A good easy drinking beer.

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from the bottle a cloudy light yellow gold with a bubbly white head.

Aroma of cloves, bananas, lemon, black pepper, and yeast. Very nice.

Tastes of bananas, lemon, cloves with a bready finish.

Light bodied, slightly dry, and lightly carbonated.

Easy to drink and easier to enjoy. A nice Hefe from Franziskaner.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

On tap 8/5 @ Old Chicago in Okemos, MI
25oz mug for the price of a pint, sweeet - golden reddish hazy peach shade, nice creamy white head fades.

smells of heavy banana and clove, very traditional yeasty deliciousness, slight citrus

taste is creamy wheat, banana/clove yeast, spices abund (corriander? not completely sure), slight citrus, very smooth and creamy, yum!

mouthfeel is very refreshing, nice, smooth, traditional weiss, loads of flavor, very wheaty

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%

A: pours a beautiful yellow golden honey with a relativity light haziness. A gentle pour into my Weihenstephan glass produces two inches of course foamy head that fades to a lumpy 1/4 inch sheet.

S: A combination of biscuity wheat combined with a lemony citrusy yeast. Some mild clove and banana in the background. Very clean and pungent.

T: A slightly bitter bready yeast flavor with lemon and plenty of banana backing it up all on a wheat foundation. Sly clove helps add balance and adventure to a mellow flavored beer. Nicely balanced...I detect a hint of pepper.

M: Very very nice. Lots of CO2 add much needed adventure to the mellow flavor. Light, airy, crisp that goes dry at the end. Well done.

D: A wonderfully refreshing drinkable beer.

Not quite the king of the Hefe-Weisse but better than I expected. I would drink this anytime. Cheers!

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

I had this on tap at McNellie's in OKC. I had no idea what I was in for! I was very much impressed with this hefe. It looked the part in color, and had the typical banana and clove scent to it that you would expect. I don't know quite how to describe this one, but it wasn't overly sugary. Everything about this beer was in balance. I will definitely be enjoying this one again.

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured into a hefe glass--bottle has statement regarding German Purity Law. Poured a cloudy dull orange with nearly 4" head (is that normal...damn!) that was creamy vanilla colored. Light lacing that slid back into the beer.
Smelled musty and a little biscuity with the requisite banana and clove. Flavor followed suit. Syrupy smooth mouth feel with a zing in the middle fading at the end.
This beer was smooth and refreshing. Exactly what I was looking for in a hefe and didn't disappoint like many American versions of this style have. I'll bee sure to keep a sixer of this around.

This review from notes.

a: a typical pour creates a huge, active, creamy head and a hazy golden yellow body that nearly spills over my glass.

s: banana, sweet honey, and floral notes.

t: grainy wheat, lemon, clove and banana.

m: active, seltzer-like carbonation. smooth and creamy, but still light.

d: I could drink this beer all day. A very solid hefe that goes down easy, but won't bore you.

4.36/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a dark gold almost copper color with a good 2 finger head that slowly fades. Has a floral aroma with a hint of apples, doesn't have that acetaldehyde kind of taste though. Taste is great, crisp, some citrus, hints of banana and yeast in the aftertaste, extremely smooth. Low carbonation, very smooth. Very drinkable.

This is one of the best beers I've had in awhile.

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%

This is what beer was meant to be...

Pours nice and cloudy, looks almost like home made apple cider. The head was a good two fingers and dissipated slowly. The aroma is sweet with a subtle hint of yeast. Mouthfeel is fully bodied, your not getting tricked into believing this beer is something that it's not.

I spent a few years in Germany in my late teens and I drank a heck of a lot of Hefe. I always keep a few of these in the back of my fridge for when I've had one of those days at work.

It's also interesting to drink a true Hefe after tasting one of the American "knock-offs"

3.79/5  rDev -6.9%

A It poured a very cloudy yellow with a big, quickly dissapearing head.

S Very aromatic, fruit and wheat

T The taste follows the smell, a little fruity and hoppy.

M I got a light, creamy feeling in my mouth

D It's drinkable for me, but maybe limited to two in a day.

3.97/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured into a pint glass. Thanks Mikemcg!

A. Pours a cloudy orangish yellow. Plenty of carbonation going on with a two-fingered soapy head.

S. The aroma is filled with the fragrance of fruits, wheat, and cloves. A bit of banana, green apple, and cloves.

T. The taste is of grains and wheat. Spicy and fruity. The taste of clove is upfront with notes of banana and green apple. There is a taste of earthiness that is from the yeast and the wheat.

M. The mouthfeel is creamy and thick. Smooth drinker.

D. The drinkability is excellent. Great for any occasion. Easy to drink and full of flavor in every sip.

3.55/5  rDev -12.8%

poured with a big white head that quickly goe away. a bit soapy in appearance.
first impression of smell was rather earthy..kind of reminded me of a cardboard or paper smell. Not necessarily a bad thing.mixed with yeastiness and some wheat malts.
taste was very true to expected, the bazooka like yeastiness...a bit of "funk" going on here.
solid beer.

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured, swirled, poured.

Hazy wheat color, White head that is small and has minimal lacing. Aroma of wheat malt, some banana and clove notes, a bit metallic.

Taste has the same metallic note, the banana and clove are present with a nice earthy wheat flavor.

Light bodied, decent feel. Could be a session beer for a day but I'm not crazy about the metal.

Average I guess. I'm not a big experienced drinker of the style, but this is not a beer I would run back to.

4.24/5  rDev +4.2%

Beer Pours cloudy orange, nice lingering head, aroma is tart, but not so much of apples... more like some other peppery sweet fruit.

Taste is very very good. The crisp, high carbonation level is a nice accent to the tart flavors of the wheat. Peppery.The beer is very well balanced. Rather than the common (and sometimes overwhelming) apple-like flavor associated with wheat tartness... i picked up a milder peach, or apricot-like flavor in the beer... Flavors linger on the tongue just long enough to make your thirsty for the next sip. Light hop presence in the back of the tongue.

Excellent Wheat beer, spicy, fruity, refreshing.

Would buy again.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

I was beginning to think that hefe's were not for me, the previous few that I have had just didn't do it for me. This one takes the cake so far. A beautiful deep yellow/orange color filled my glass with a constant head and adequate lacing. The carbonation is like the other hefe's in that it is strong and constant. What stands out about the franziskaner is the aroma and flavor. My previous hefe's were too sweet smelling and the banana taste was overpowering. This one melds a whole lot of spices and citrus flavors and rolls them into a well crafted wheat beer. I can't say enough about the taste with this one very smooth and extemely refreshing, I'm glad I never gave up on hefe-weissbiers.

3.62/5  rDev -11.1%

Had this on tap at the Distillery on Mt. Hope Ave, Rochester, NY.

A - cloudy amber yellow with short-lived 3/4" white head that left a bubbly ring with moderate lace.

S - wheat, light malts, some light fruitiness, reminiscent of apples and citrus tang, yeast and just enough hops for me to say it wasn't unbalanced.

T - it was actually served too cold, which only allowed the first few sips to taste wheat and a hoppy finish with some citrus notes but as it warmed, I got a little more complexity and richness from it.

M - light bodied with pretty heavy carbonation which held together well but I would prefer a little less carbonation. Washed the palate well.

D - very drinkable. Light and refreshing.

Overall - for $4.50/pint here, it was worth the try. I complemented this with the Ultimate Nachos, which actually turned out very well paired. I would like to try the bottled version to see how it compares but overall, a decent beer.

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a hazy orange with a decent head that settles to a small foamy lace. The aroma is bananas,cloves and yeast.
The taste is a lot like aroma:bananas and cloves with some mild citrus notes in the background. The taste is sweet then tart with with some grains in the finish.
The feel is mild carbonation with a tingly zing that goes well with the semi dry finish. I could see the yeast sediment on the bottom of the glass. Pretty cool!

Notes: A very respectable Hefe and definitely worth buying again. It was easy to drink so one can have quite a few. I like this style and I feel I have had some of the best. Worthy.

3.07/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours a golden orange with a cold haze in it. Pours a big rocky head that recedes almost entirely.

Smell is clean and wheaty. Light hints of banana and coriander. Also has a bit of earthy funk.

Taste is mild and slightly bitter from the hops. Refreshing.

Mouthfeel is light and metallic. The metallic finish sticks long after the beer is done.

Decent drinkability.

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

1 pint .9-ounce bottle poured into a weizen glass.

A-Appearance had a straw golden yellow, with an amazing 2 inch billowy head that left some lacing. Quite a bit of sediment floating around, I imagine I will see it again once I reach the bottom.

S-Everything you would expect from a good Hefe-Weisse. Clove spices, banana, bubble gum, and citrus to boot.

T-Tastes pretty much how it smells, nice crisp clove and banana. Yeast and bread also prevelant.

M-Medium body with a slight bite on the carbonation. A couple swigs and I almost had the reaction to chew this beer. And yup here at the bottom is some built up sediment.

D-Very enjoyable Hefe, would have to put this near the top. Could see this always being an old faithful to fall back on.

4.03/5  rDev -1%

A- Beautiful cloudy straw with a huge white head.

A- Cloves, banana, and a slight bubblegum aroma as well.

T- Light sweet malt. Hints of banana, clove, and slight amounts of bubblegum

M- Medium body, crisp, very refreshing. High carbonation.

D- Very drinkable and refreshing beer. I've never ben a fan of the bubblegum flavor in hefeweizens, but this is the first where I haven't minded that flavor

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu