Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Alström Bros
4.77/5  rDev +17.2%

Had this one at a restaurant in Autria where they serve over 30 different pizza´s.

Murky light brown ale in a hefe glass, big white/off-white head sitting on a thick looking bubbling beer. Massive arome of fresh banana bread, brown sugar, clove and cracked wheat. Absolutely crazy, I´d smell it all day.

Flavor of fresh banana bread, sweet fuit and spice. Incredibly malty and rich, but not heavy or cloying at all. Really good! Have a couple like I did!

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured from a 12oz green bottle.

Pours a cloudy orange color. Nice 2 finger head which doesn't last long. Generous amount of yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottle which takes quite a bit of shaking up to get it out when the bottle is 90% empty, and poured into the glass. Very nice aroma, lots of wheat, banana, cloves, snd other spices.

Taste is fantastic. Nice balance of banana, grain, cloves and spices with that distinct, but subtle bubble gum flavor. The banana and bubble gum flavors come out more near the end as it warms up. Mouthfeel is good with moderate carbonation. Has a nice finish as well.

One of my favorite summertime beers, or anytime of the year for that matter. One of the best hefe's you can get that's available pretty much everywhere for a good price.

4.44/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Was still on my wheat beer tour.

A: A cloudy yellow/golden color. Minimal head that quickly dissipated.

S: Wheat, grass and banana phenol were the major aromas. A great mixture and a very pleasant smell.

T: The prominant flavors of wheat and bananas. Some trace tastes of other citrus, but bananas dominate. Also some spicy flavoring later on.

M: Light bodied beer, very balance. Was surprised at the amount of carbonation, he was quite carbonated.

D: I thoroughly enjoy this style of beer, but putting bias aside, it is a very refreshing beer for those outdoor sunny days.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a hazy orange with a thick head that left lots of lacing. Smells of peach, malt, and citrus with a hint of banana and clove. Taste is heavy of yeast and hopp. Also banana and citrus and clove. This is a very drinkable beer. The carbonation is perfect and it is very smooth.

4.26/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a light amber, strong banana haze. Great two finger head that slowly recedes to a very thic foam throughout the whole 12 ounces. Concentric lacing and strong bubbling. The aroma is full of cloves and bananas with just a touch of bubblegum. The taste has notes of bananas, cloves, and lightly toasted malts with a little hard water like bitterness a the finish. The palate is sweet, smooth, but a little to minerally for my taste. Still, not bad though. Pretty easy to drink all year round.

4.11/5  rDev +1%

On tap poured into tall, narrow Franziskaner glass.

A--Cloudy apricot pour with lots of head. Looks great!

S--Tangy yeast with earthy phenols. Mild floral & citrus notes.

T--Creamy, buttery. Coriander wheat breadiness. Mild maltiness but with nice complexity. Just a hint of mild metallic phenol and miniscule hop bitter crisp at finish to balance.

M--Smooth and clean, but with nice creamy body. Lots of carbonation bubbles rising, but no harsh bite.

D--Refreshing. Seemingly good drinkability for a hearty witbier.

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

april 2008, bought and drank in spain.

nice white head on the pour, fades quick but leaves a nice lace. color is a cloudy white-gold. only wish the head would stick around a bit more.

smell is of bubblegum, peach, malt and citrus. as warms up banana becomes much more pronounced.

taste is very well balanced, deep and interesting while maintaining a light and refreshing character. nice fruit beginning is a touch sweet but not overpowering, moving well into some nice light malt and finishing very smooth. as warms becomes much more banana, like the smell. a little too much banana even.

mouthfeel is the perfect thickness, nice thick feel without weighing you down.

drinkability is perfect, definitely a beer you could drink anywhere, with anything, in any weather and be very happy about it. finish smoothes perfectly into the next drink. very refreshing and smooth.

while i do admit i love my hefes, this is a great example - very refreshing and smooth but with a depth i recommend exploring. one thought: COLD is much better on this one - otherwise the banana covers up much of the other loveliness that lies within.

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%

Pours a Papa John's garlic sauce color. Actually looks quite good, with a light orange haze with good carbination The head is slighty off white that doesn't last all that long. The initial nose hits you with bananas, coriander, and cheerios. The taste has quite a bit of orange peel that the bitter has been masked by the heavy carbination, followed by some sweet cloves lamented in residual sugar. The yeast really only hits you mid-palate that comes halfway through a glass, and yet is fairly subtle. I'd prefer to see more background and less blatant coriander domination. Overall, typical but theres better for relatively the same price. PS- when you burp coriander, doesn't that just piss you off?

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into weizen glass.

A - Huge bubbly head with good retention and lacing. Hazy yellow with a lot of yeast sediment.

S - Bananas. Some clove and grapefruit, but mostly banana.

T - Drinking this is like drinking a liquid banana. Other flavors that I have trouble pinpointing are there, but the banana is what sticks out most backed by the slightly tart malt.

M - Moderately carbonated, but still one of the smoothest beers I've ever drank.

D - I could drink these forever without getting tired of them. The flavor is mild yet engaging.

Though I haven't tried every German hefe, this is one of my favorites with Weihenstephaner. I'd like to compare the two side by side sometime. Franziskaner is everything I could want in a hefeweizen.

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Hazy yellow golden with a large dense white head. It had great retention and lacing.

S: Aplles, banana, clove, and lemon zest.

T and M: Clove, banana, less citrus thatn the nose but still some there. Nice dry crisp finish. Perfect summer beer.

D: Easy quaffer that is much crisper and drier than most American versions. This is what a summer beer should be.

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

1 pint, 0.9 oz bottle poured into a Weizen glass.

A = Hazy golden orange, with a foamy white head, decent retention, leave light lacing on glass.

S = Yeasty esters, cloves, ripe bananas, hint of nutmeg, very refreshing.

T = Bananas, lemons, orange zest, half-baked sourdough, quite of lot of different flavors but well blended.

M = Medium body, possibly just a little too foamy even after taking quite a bit out with a big head. Fair mouthcoating.

D = This is a very refreshing beer and easy to drink. A good offering from Germany.

3.73/5  rDev -8.4%

Had this one on-tap at the Bulldog on Magazine St. in New Orleans at their Wednesday night keep-your-pint special because the Franziskaner Hefe-Weiss Dunkel was out(!) I had never had this before, but the bartender offered and I'm not one to turn down a new beer.

Poured into a pint glass, the brew poured the typical hazy orange Hefeweizen color with almost zero head and almost zero lacing. . .just the way I like it.

Typical wheaty smell, with a bit of citrus thrown in there. Definitely some cloves and coriander and a hefty bit of banana smell. I probably looked like an idiot with my nose in the glass at the bar, but that was the only way I could really pick up on all those aromas.

The taste was slightly better than average, but having the read the reviews before I tried it, I expected much better. I think it may have been too cold originally, because it certainly tasted better as it warmed up. The citrus taste is quite present, and although the yeast taste was there, I could not taste any hops.

As far as mouthfeel goes, it was super, super smooth. I got through about 3/4ths of this in 5 minutes or so because after I started drinking it, I didn't even realize how fast I was consuming it. I had to let the last little bit warm up to get the good taste, but there was no bitterness and no harsh aftertaste. Very palatable!

Tied in with the mouthfeel, the drinkability is exceptional. I can't see myself drinking this instead of the Hefe-Weiss Dunkel, however, which I find far and away superior (though I'm also a huge advocate of dunkel style beers). I may pick up a 16.9 oz bottle of this later to see if it tastes differently (i.e. - how it tastes less cold), but I won't be choosing this over other Spaten products anytime soon.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

I poured this beer into a nonic glass. It was a cloudy golden, very hazy. Had a nice head and left some nice lacing on the side of the glass.

Sweet taste, I like the lack of the bitter finish. Definitely lacking in the hoppiness. I am definitely partial to hefeweizens.

Ate a nice edam cheese with the beer and it went really well with it.

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%

Picked this up after trying out some Sprecher, wanted to try some more Hefe.

Poured a cloudy pale yellow, very little head. I noticed that in the bottom of my glass were some small pieces of debris. I'm not sure what they were but I was intrigued.

Smell was very sweet, definate clove scent, alcohol.

Taste was very strong clove with a hint of banana. Very very yeasty, leaves a bit of bite in the mouth with the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was good, very balanced, good weight. Carbonation is great for this beer.

Drinkability for me is low. I'm guessing I got a bad bottle, as I've never seen something like it. I've homebrewed before and I am familiar with bottom sediment and trub, and I'm guessing thats what I got here. I'll try some another time.

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%

Had this one on tap...

Poured into a Weiss glass...

A- Bright glowing yellow color. Cloudy, but nice. Big head here, didn't last throughout.

S- Smell was of coriander and citrus- very sweet, maybe some lemon as well.

T- Big banana flavor. Citrus fruiits (oranges, lemons)- yeasty wheat, spicey. Huge flavors coming through.

M- Mouthfeel was light bodied, yet pleasant.

D- Could easily drink a few of these in a sitting...tasty summer beer.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Served in an authentic-ish tall wheat beer glass with 0,5L (with comma instead of period!) marked line at the Lazy Moon for their Wheat Beer Wednesday, which meant I got to keep the glass!

Light golden, tall frothy white head of about 2 inches which left great lacing. Mellow wheat beer flavor but a very dominant taste of banana. The banana really showed through in the smell as well. Hints of other fruits like orange or pineapple here and there, but overwhelming banana throughout. This would be the the beer of choice if you're a monkey. There's a slight acidity to it but I don't consider that a negative. Nor the banana, by the way. An excellent and quaffable, refreshing ale.

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

The least bitter of the Hefe-wiesse that I've tried. Almost none which doesn't mean best. I do like a little bit more bitterness in this style so I gravitate more toward the Paulaner taste. I will buy a Franziskaner just as well. It also has more of a acidic presents vs the other german competetors. Always grab the back one's if they are selling in the green bottle for light degrading reasons. Buy the dark bottle .5 liters if available.

3.92/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured hazy amber with a huge, fast disappearing head. Fairly effervescent, but not as lively as some other beers of the same style.
Pleasant aroma of cloves, banana and a hint of hazelnut.
Slightly tangy wheat taste in addition to banana, cloves and a bit of bubble gum.
The mouthfeel was OK but It didn't make me praise the Lord.
Still a good call. But I would rather buy a Schneider Hefe as they are the same price.

3.76/5  rDev -7.6%

Appearance: Served in the typical German style capped bottle but includes a foil wrap. Already the cloudiness can be seen, the typical yeasty hefe. Hearty grain color mixing good tones with the light. No best drink by date. Excitingly cloudy with vigorous carbonation. Good frothy almost ice cream like head.

Smell: Clove like with banana undertones. Could bring your head back if you weren't looking for it. Almost biting

Taste: Rolling cloves through out the first initial sipping. Stays through out the tasting. With a small bite of hops in the back. Definitely noble. A bit sharper but not bad. No real sweetness.

Mouthfeel: A strong hearty body feel. Very lasting. It has few tastes and yet remains dynamic in the mouth. Some what hearty fair.

Drinkability: In the end this is a solid brew. Going well with certain meals. It is a good example of the hefe standard without being too in lock step. Hearty, well made not a bad brew.

4.07/5  rDev 0%

Pours a nice clear orange/yellow with good fluffy white head. Smell is great wheat flavor with nice cloviness. Taste is standard banana bubblegumish hef taste. Good clove on the finish and nice carbonation. This is an awesome session hef, and one I will go to again when I need to drink my wheaties! Good beer.

3.77/5  rDev -7.4%

A - Pale orange with good head. Lace hugged the glass on the way down.

S - Bananas, light bready, minimal clove with some citrus notes.

T - Very light, slight bananas with citrus accents. Minimals clove as going with the smell and a hint of clove as well.

M - Very light and crisp with carbonation throughout the taste. Pleasant.

D - Very good and crisp. Could pair with a many number of foods. Overall a light session beer to start off anyone's night. Nice and light.

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

This is definitely one of my favorite session beers. Was served on tap into a Franziskaner weisse glass.

A- Radiant orangish brown with a thick, fluffy white head that didn't want to let go of the glass as it slowly dissipated, leaving mountainous looking lacing. A car drove by (I was on the patio of a bar), and it's xenon headlights began to shine right into the beer. It seemed as if the beer embraced this bright bluish white and began producing it's own glow. I had to add that in there, it really looked quite amazing.

S- Wheat, yeast, banana, and clove. Typical heffe.

T- Bready malt and yeast, cloves, some bananas, and cream. No hop presence.

M- Very smooth and creamy.

D- I could run off of these all night. It's quite delicious on tap, and is quite a looker! Don't get an orange in there if offered, it will ruin the beer's original flavors. It doesn't quite stack up to Weihenstephan, but is very, very close behind it.

Poured a cloudy gold with a very slight head. Smelled of bananas and cloves very heavily. Almost a musty smell. Taste was pretty much exactly like banana nut bread. It was surprisingly good. Drinkability was there, as it wasn't too heavy or too bananaish. Very good representation in my opinion.

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

This one turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I was in a bit of a rush and at my LBS making a mixed sixer and just grabbed things I'd never seen before, and at first glance, I assumed this was a German Pilsener. Upon closer inspection of the bottle, I realized it was in fact a hefeweizen. Poured into a weizen glass.

A - Hazy golden coloration with an amber hue close to the top. Nice bit of froth, good retention, cool tornado effect rising through the center of the brew. Looks beautiful.

S - Yeasty aroma, with hints of lemon and pepper.

T - Tastes almost exactly like it smells, citrusy body with a nice clove backing. Peppery and spicy near the finish, with a good smack of yeast on the palate.

M - Light bodied, zesty and refreshing, mildly carbonated.

D - Very good, certainly worth trying. This is an all around solid hefe and one I could revisit anytime. Might be looking for sixers of this one very soon, as it felt like a nice spring brew.

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I gotta admit that I was a little turned off by the green bottles that contain this brew, but I got past that pretty quickly after cracking one open. Poured into a Paulaner Weiss glass a lovely golden color, with a large healthy white head. Aroma is bursting with wheat and banana. Taste is bright and citrusy, with a great mix of sweet and dry between the wheat and fruit flavor. Body is on the light side, but full flavored. Drinkability is superb. One of the best Hefes out there IMO. Right up there with Weihenstephaner, Schneider Weiss and Julius Echter for me. Cheers

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu