Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Bottle into a glass stein.

A- I thought the appearance was lovely. My dad liked the look even more than I did. Pretty dirty un filtered look. Light bubbling. Beautiful.

S- Yeast, and some citrus and fruityness to it. But alot of yeast. I fail to put a lemon or anything of that sort in this. HOW DARE YOUUUU!!!

T- Im still trying to get all of it. Its simply sweet and light carbs. Smooth no hiccups!! Yeast. Like the smell. After a few drinks this is easily a beer you would buy if available anywhere. ANYwhere given the chance.

M- Thinner. Not carb loaded. Which is a major plus. The finish is easy. No weird after taste, just a ring of fruity-ness and a slight amount of an alchol linger.

D- Man. I dont know if I should drink anymore than the 25 oz bottle I just downed. I feel really good and relaxed, and my dads says , "Christ im already feeling drunk kinda..." lol Its a great beer.

The drink ability for me, is fairly high. The overall experience with this one is a top one so far in my books. Because of the lack of experience I have with Hefes, I am generous for this one. Being my second time drinking this specific one.

$2.19 wuthout tax at a BOMBAY store, 25 oz bottle. In a glass Stein.

I would get this for you if you have somthing to celebrate. And I say celebrate life and get one.

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

poured from a 25 ounce bottle with he fat friar on the label.

looks- dark to medium, hazy straw with a light frothy, white head that settles down to the top of the beer

smell-citrusy with banana notes

taste- zesty and fruity with some tiny tartness at first, followed with a touch of sweetness. It finishes with tiny maltiness with a nice banana flavor and a citrus-like bite at the end.

mouthfeel- crisp and clean is the rule of the day.

drinkability- very drinkable and dare I say I could drink more. A nice summer beer. I would like to try some that's very fresh and on tap.

All in all a good beer and a very typical example of the style.

4.09/5  rDev +0.5%

When I poured this beer into a glass it had a thick white head (about 3 fingers thick). I had a to wait a little bit before I could pour more of the beer. The look of the beer is a cloudy medium golden color. The taste of this beer is great. A subtle fruity taste that isn't overpowering. It has good carbonation to, not overly fizzy. while drinking the beer though I couldn't smell to much of what I was drinking. Not a bad thing, but I do like to smell what I'm drinking (and eating to). I recommend this beer. One of the better beers I've had.

3.55/5  rDev -12.8%

A - pours a dark cloudy yellow with LOTS of foamy light head and nice lacing

S - complex --yeasty and lemony, at the same time dark but refreshing

T - full-bodied, lemony, actually reminds me less of a hefe-weizen and more of a well-brewed light lager (a la Big River's Southern Flier)

M - nice and light, not too fizzy

D - maybe just not my style. It's decent but not great. I'd probably go for another hefe.

3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

This fine hefeweissbier pours a rich, golden color producing a thick creamy white head with a super smooth texture. The head stuck around for a bit but eventually faded to a thin pad which left no lacing. The nose of this brew is of grainy wheat and fruity esters. There is slight spice evident and noticeable banana like phenols in the aroma. On the palate, this beer is light to medium light in body and highly carbonated, almost effervescent...very refreshing. The flavor is of subdued grain and wheat with yeasty banana and general fruityness dominating, supported by a light clove like spice. As the flavor progresses through the palate the banana flavors become more strong, but then finishes clean,crisp, and a little dry. Exceptionally tasty and quaffable.

4.07/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into a glass handled mug:

A: Poured a bright golden yellow which turned orangy amber when the yest was unsettled and added. There is a thin layer of carbonation over the top of the brew.

S: Smells tangy and musty because of a blend of unfiltered bottle conditioned yeast and sweet citrus fruitiness like lemon peel and bananas/bubblegum.

T: The taste is very wheaty and yeasty, with a fizzy lemon pop flavor across the mid palate. There is some very light citric hopping, but the bananas, yeast and unfiltered wheat are on display most here.

M: Moouthfeel is thin, astringent and like soda water at times.

D: This is a pretty drinkable Hefeweizen, and although it can be a bit fizzy at times, it's got that classic German-engineered taste you want in an authentic Hefe.

This would make for a great session Hefeweizen and would compliment a plate of shnitzel or chicken piccata just the same. Very versatile and very reliable.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Reviewed on a hot summer day, the best time for drinking this style of beer. Bought one bottle in a variety six-pack at "World Market."

A perfect pour, this beer looks great. Fluffy, one-inch white head that settles very slowly into a very cloudy, yellow beer.

The beer smells like a hefeweizen should -- malty and zesty, with a hint of banana and cloves.

The taste reminds me of a weissbier I had in Berlin on my only trip to Germany. That's a great memory, and this is a great taste. Easy to drink, it tastes like malts, cloves and yeast. The wheat flavor is subdued.

I could drink these all day, too bad I only got one bottle. My favorite hefeweizen to date.

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%

A. Cloudy straw yellow with a decent 1/4 inch head with some retention.

S. Sweet banana yeast nose with some oatmeal and slight bubblegum.

T. A very tasty hefeweizen! Made for a great session. There was a distinct fruity aftertaste that lasted a while.

M. Coated the palate and made for a very enjoyable drink.

D. I will have this one again. A great example of the style here.

2013 Update
It's been 5 years or so let's try it

LOOK: Pours a slightly cloudy golden color. White soapy head forms and leaves lacing down the pint.

SMELL: Wheat, ripe banana. Bread. Somewhat sweet.

TASTE: Wheat malt, clove, mild leafy herbal tea like bitterness. Light bubblegum like flavor and just a bit of banana. Sets the standard for taste.

FEEL: Medium bodied but full flavored. Medium-high carbonation.

OVERALL: A very enjoyable hefeweizen. My reviews tonight is not all that different from my review 5 years ago. Consistent product and I guess I haven't changed all that much. Cheers!

4.77/5  rDev +17.2%

Had this one at a restaurant in Autria where they serve over 30 different pizza´s.

Murky light brown ale in a hefe glass, big white/off-white head sitting on a thick looking bubbling beer. Massive arome of fresh banana bread, brown sugar, clove and cracked wheat. Absolutely crazy, I´d smell it all day.

Flavor of fresh banana bread, sweet fuit and spice. Incredibly malty and rich, but not heavy or cloying at all. Really good! Have a couple like I did!

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured from a 12oz green bottle.

Pours a cloudy orange color. Nice 2 finger head which doesn't last long. Generous amount of yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottle which takes quite a bit of shaking up to get it out when the bottle is 90% empty, and poured into the glass. Very nice aroma, lots of wheat, banana, cloves, snd other spices.

Taste is fantastic. Nice balance of banana, grain, cloves and spices with that distinct, but subtle bubble gum flavor. The banana and bubble gum flavors come out more near the end as it warms up. Mouthfeel is good with moderate carbonation. Has a nice finish as well.

One of my favorite summertime beers, or anytime of the year for that matter. One of the best hefe's you can get that's available pretty much everywhere for a good price.

4.44/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Was still on my wheat beer tour.

A: A cloudy yellow/golden color. Minimal head that quickly dissipated.

S: Wheat, grass and banana phenol were the major aromas. A great mixture and a very pleasant smell.

T: The prominant flavors of wheat and bananas. Some trace tastes of other citrus, but bananas dominate. Also some spicy flavoring later on.

M: Light bodied beer, very balance. Was surprised at the amount of carbonation, he was quite carbonated.

D: I thoroughly enjoy this style of beer, but putting bias aside, it is a very refreshing beer for those outdoor sunny days.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a hazy orange with a thick head that left lots of lacing. Smells of peach, malt, and citrus with a hint of banana and clove. Taste is heavy of yeast and hopp. Also banana and citrus and clove. This is a very drinkable beer. The carbonation is perfect and it is very smooth.

4.26/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a light amber, strong banana haze. Great two finger head that slowly recedes to a very thic foam throughout the whole 12 ounces. Concentric lacing and strong bubbling. The aroma is full of cloves and bananas with just a touch of bubblegum. The taste has notes of bananas, cloves, and lightly toasted malts with a little hard water like bitterness a the finish. The palate is sweet, smooth, but a little to minerally for my taste. Still, not bad though. Pretty easy to drink all year round.

4.11/5  rDev +1%

On tap poured into tall, narrow Franziskaner glass.

A--Cloudy apricot pour with lots of head. Looks great!

S--Tangy yeast with earthy phenols. Mild floral & citrus notes.

T--Creamy, buttery. Coriander wheat breadiness. Mild maltiness but with nice complexity. Just a hint of mild metallic phenol and miniscule hop bitter crisp at finish to balance.

M--Smooth and clean, but with nice creamy body. Lots of carbonation bubbles rising, but no harsh bite.

D--Refreshing. Seemingly good drinkability for a hearty witbier.

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

april 2008, bought and drank in spain.

nice white head on the pour, fades quick but leaves a nice lace. color is a cloudy white-gold. only wish the head would stick around a bit more.

smell is of bubblegum, peach, malt and citrus. as warms up banana becomes much more pronounced.

taste is very well balanced, deep and interesting while maintaining a light and refreshing character. nice fruit beginning is a touch sweet but not overpowering, moving well into some nice light malt and finishing very smooth. as warms becomes much more banana, like the smell. a little too much banana even.

mouthfeel is the perfect thickness, nice thick feel without weighing you down.

drinkability is perfect, definitely a beer you could drink anywhere, with anything, in any weather and be very happy about it. finish smoothes perfectly into the next drink. very refreshing and smooth.

while i do admit i love my hefes, this is a great example - very refreshing and smooth but with a depth i recommend exploring. one thought: COLD is much better on this one - otherwise the banana covers up much of the other loveliness that lies within.

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%

Pours a Papa John's garlic sauce color. Actually looks quite good, with a light orange haze with good carbination The head is slighty off white that doesn't last all that long. The initial nose hits you with bananas, coriander, and cheerios. The taste has quite a bit of orange peel that the bitter has been masked by the heavy carbination, followed by some sweet cloves lamented in residual sugar. The yeast really only hits you mid-palate that comes halfway through a glass, and yet is fairly subtle. I'd prefer to see more background and less blatant coriander domination. Overall, typical but theres better for relatively the same price. PS- when you burp coriander, doesn't that just piss you off?

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into weizen glass.

A - Huge bubbly head with good retention and lacing. Hazy yellow with a lot of yeast sediment.

S - Bananas. Some clove and grapefruit, but mostly banana.

T - Drinking this is like drinking a liquid banana. Other flavors that I have trouble pinpointing are there, but the banana is what sticks out most backed by the slightly tart malt.

M - Moderately carbonated, but still one of the smoothest beers I've ever drank.

D - I could drink these forever without getting tired of them. The flavor is mild yet engaging.

Though I haven't tried every German hefe, this is one of my favorites with Weihenstephaner. I'd like to compare the two side by side sometime. Franziskaner is everything I could want in a hefeweizen.

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Hazy yellow golden with a large dense white head. It had great retention and lacing.

S: Aplles, banana, clove, and lemon zest.

T and M: Clove, banana, less citrus thatn the nose but still some there. Nice dry crisp finish. Perfect summer beer.

D: Easy quaffer that is much crisper and drier than most American versions. This is what a summer beer should be.

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

1 pint, 0.9 oz bottle poured into a Weizen glass.

A = Hazy golden orange, with a foamy white head, decent retention, leave light lacing on glass.

S = Yeasty esters, cloves, ripe bananas, hint of nutmeg, very refreshing.

T = Bananas, lemons, orange zest, half-baked sourdough, quite of lot of different flavors but well blended.

M = Medium body, possibly just a little too foamy even after taking quite a bit out with a big head. Fair mouthcoating.

D = This is a very refreshing beer and easy to drink. A good offering from Germany.

3.73/5  rDev -8.4%

Had this one on-tap at the Bulldog on Magazine St. in New Orleans at their Wednesday night keep-your-pint special because the Franziskaner Hefe-Weiss Dunkel was out(!) I had never had this before, but the bartender offered and I'm not one to turn down a new beer.

Poured into a pint glass, the brew poured the typical hazy orange Hefeweizen color with almost zero head and almost zero lacing. . .just the way I like it.

Typical wheaty smell, with a bit of citrus thrown in there. Definitely some cloves and coriander and a hefty bit of banana smell. I probably looked like an idiot with my nose in the glass at the bar, but that was the only way I could really pick up on all those aromas.

The taste was slightly better than average, but having the read the reviews before I tried it, I expected much better. I think it may have been too cold originally, because it certainly tasted better as it warmed up. The citrus taste is quite present, and although the yeast taste was there, I could not taste any hops.

As far as mouthfeel goes, it was super, super smooth. I got through about 3/4ths of this in 5 minutes or so because after I started drinking it, I didn't even realize how fast I was consuming it. I had to let the last little bit warm up to get the good taste, but there was no bitterness and no harsh aftertaste. Very palatable!

Tied in with the mouthfeel, the drinkability is exceptional. I can't see myself drinking this instead of the Hefe-Weiss Dunkel, however, which I find far and away superior (though I'm also a huge advocate of dunkel style beers). I may pick up a 16.9 oz bottle of this later to see if it tastes differently (i.e. - how it tastes less cold), but I won't be choosing this over other Spaten products anytime soon.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

I poured this beer into a nonic glass. It was a cloudy golden, very hazy. Had a nice head and left some nice lacing on the side of the glass.

Sweet taste, I like the lack of the bitter finish. Definitely lacking in the hoppiness. I am definitely partial to hefeweizens.

Ate a nice edam cheese with the beer and it went really well with it.

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%

Picked this up after trying out some Sprecher, wanted to try some more Hefe.

Poured a cloudy pale yellow, very little head. I noticed that in the bottom of my glass were some small pieces of debris. I'm not sure what they were but I was intrigued.

Smell was very sweet, definate clove scent, alcohol.

Taste was very strong clove with a hint of banana. Very very yeasty, leaves a bit of bite in the mouth with the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was good, very balanced, good weight. Carbonation is great for this beer.

Drinkability for me is low. I'm guessing I got a bad bottle, as I've never seen something like it. I've homebrewed before and I am familiar with bottom sediment and trub, and I'm guessing thats what I got here. I'll try some another time.

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%

Had this one on tap...

Poured into a Weiss glass...

A- Bright glowing yellow color. Cloudy, but nice. Big head here, didn't last throughout.

S- Smell was of coriander and citrus- very sweet, maybe some lemon as well.

T- Big banana flavor. Citrus fruiits (oranges, lemons)- yeasty wheat, spicey. Huge flavors coming through.

M- Mouthfeel was light bodied, yet pleasant.

D- Could easily drink a few of these in a sitting...tasty summer beer.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Served in an authentic-ish tall wheat beer glass with 0,5L (with comma instead of period!) marked line at the Lazy Moon for their Wheat Beer Wednesday, which meant I got to keep the glass!

Light golden, tall frothy white head of about 2 inches which left great lacing. Mellow wheat beer flavor but a very dominant taste of banana. The banana really showed through in the smell as well. Hints of other fruits like orange or pineapple here and there, but overwhelming banana throughout. This would be the the beer of choice if you're a monkey. There's a slight acidity to it but I don't consider that a negative. Nor the banana, by the way. An excellent and quaffable, refreshing ale.

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

The least bitter of the Hefe-wiesse that I've tried. Almost none which doesn't mean best. I do like a little bit more bitterness in this style so I gravitate more toward the Paulaner taste. I will buy a Franziskaner just as well. It also has more of a acidic presents vs the other german competetors. Always grab the back one's if they are selling in the green bottle for light degrading reasons. Buy the dark bottle .5 liters if available.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu