Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Franziskaner Hefe-WeisseFranziskaner Hefe-Weisse

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-13-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -1%

The first German Hefe Weizen I tried. Still pleases after all these years. Poured a bottle the other day into a hef glass. Pale gold and cloudy nice white head with lacing left over. Smells of banana, clove, and citrus tastes like the same. Always refreshing after a hard days work. Try this beer. I've been a hefe fan ever since.

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

Like the dark wheat, this is a truly stand-out German brew.

Cloudy gold with a cream white head. Delicious, even for someone inclined to darker styles.

Like the dark wheat, this lighter brother also smells like bananna and spice, but leaves behind some of the malt aroma.

The taste emcompasses a bright citrus taste up-front, and there's a bubble-gum wheat flavour that also comes through strong. Mild spice, malt and orange peel linger on the mouthfull's way out.

It's equally as carbonated as the Franziskaner dark wheat, but due to its lighter nature, seems more fitting - perfectly appropriate.

Another definate must-try. A German brewing accomplishment.

3.93/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Cloudy goldish color, small light cream colored head.

S: Clove, wheat, yeast and a small amount of banana

T: Wheat, almost soggy bread flavor finished with a taste of citrus

M: Smooth but full

D: Can be a very filling brew, but I do enjoy Hefe beers and come back to this one time after time

Pours a cloudy dark orange hue with a very thick 2 finger head with tight texture. To the nose I get the common clove and banana and exotic fruitiness. I taste smooth banana and clove flavor that finishes off with a bit of hops. The mouthfeel is clean and crisp. Overall a very drinkable beer.

3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

I had this one on tap at our oktoberfest yesterday, served in a plastic cup; hard to tell, but looked surprisingly clear w/ a giant fluffy white head; nice bready wheat aroma complete w/ fusels,fruityness & all; a nice wheat-malt profile w/ some underlying fruit flavors (esc. a lemony-tart-bannana type) some hops present as well; a light bodied yet kind of "sticky" feel to it (prob too much co2 pressure); a very drinkable beer indeed, the style example for a wheat for sure..

Beer bottle (50cl), tasted in 2000 and on-tap (2/2014).

Appearance : golden amber color, with a fine-bubbled white head
Smell : Aroma is of vanilla and citrus fruit, spicy, clove
Taste & Mouthfeel : On the palate it is smooth and creamy, with a subtle bitterness, little sweetness on the finish
Drinkability : a good beer in the style hefeweizen

3.5/5  rDev -14%

Poured into Tasting glass. The color is a cloudy yellowish orange color with a head that dissapates after a minute or two. The nose has citrus and nutmeg and cloves notes. The taste is like watered down citrusy cabbage. I know that sounds bad, but I think that describes it and it actually taste half way descent. The mouth feel is pretty good and this is a hightly drinkable beer, just not my favorate.

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a golden color with a good two fingers of nearly pure white head. Lots of bubble action, good clarity. Head recedes pretty quickly leaving a thin lace.

Smell is of soggy wheat, clove and banana.

Tastes like the smell, with a strong wheat flavor and ample clove. Some banana and yeast, as well, and the banana in particular lingers into the finish. Carbonation is quite crisp and tingly in the mouth, which doesn't allow for much contemplation of the nuances of the flavor.

I really don't care for hefe's or wheat beers in general, but this one obviously is one of the best. I'd still take other styles over this or any other hefe, but this is a good beer nonetheless.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

A- Cloudy golden yellow color, one finger thick white head that slowly faded (decent head retention)

S- Bananas, lemons, oranges, bready, yeast, cloves

T- Oranges, bananas, lemons, slight malty finish

M- Light bodied, medium carbonation, light but still fairly filling

D- Very drinkable, great hefe weizen

This is definatly one good german hefe weizen. When I think of hefe weizens, this is the first one I always recommend. A lot of people put a slice of lemon in it but I don't think this beer really needs it.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

This beer is really good both on draft and in bottles. My most recent experience was in a pub where it was served in a proper 20 oz. glass. With the proper pour, it had about a 1" foamy head. The color was strawlike but perhaps a bit darker.

The nose definitely has clove and banana but not as much as you get from a Hacker Pschorr Hefe-Weise.

Although it was served with a slice of lemon, it wasn't necessary and so I set it aside.

The first mouthful confirmed the satisfying thickness of this type of beer. The beer continued to be satisfying to the bottom of the glass.

Definitely an enjoyable experience but I think their Dunkle-Weisse is a little better than this. All-and-all though, this is first class beer.

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

This pours from 500ml bottle a cloudy pale gold with a good 2 finger head of foam that hangs around forever as a nice solid layer and it has some lacing.

The smell is of yeast, clove, banana, and wheat.

The taste has big notes of clove, banana, and wheat and finishes with a nice citrus flavour. Very tasty. The mouthfeel is medium light and the carbonation is light. Swishing the beer in my mouth, I get a slightly sourish kick and some apricot. I'm glad that I can buy this locally as I think it's one of better Hefe Weizens I've tried.

Bottom line: I'll buy this again. Great example of the style!

Poured into a wheat glass, pours a hazy heavy corbonated yellow gold with a serious fluffy head that hangs around the entire drink. Smell is lemon lime citrusy with hints of fluffy roasted wheat and a bit of rye in the nose. Taste is very clove and sweet with a bit of honey and a serious banana taste as well I can also taste a bit of juicy fruit gum as well.. This beer goes down very smooth and has such a clean and refreshing finish, I could have these all day, very good in my book.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

A pint glass served at Gilligan's in Harrisburg. The orange wedge was removed.

A: The hefe is a hazy brew, midway between brown and yellow, think 1970's San Diego Padres jersey colors. The head, even with the lemon, was sizeable up front and reatined sufficiently throughout.

S: The nose is damned near perfect, full of bubblegum and banana sweetness that is intense without going too far.

T: The esters take hold of the ale early and never let go. Even the high wheat content is unable to impart its tartness here. The esters create a swirling dervish of banana sweetness, bubblegum sugars and clove dryness. All together, the flavors are strong and refreshing, equal parts full-bodied and light. The body turns dry in the finish, showing off a little more of the malt content.

M: THe mix of flavors if wonderful, sweet and fruity without ramping the alcohol up too high. This is amongst the best German hefes available.

D: A big weizen glass of this beer on a warm Indian summer day would really be tough to beat. The only thing I can think of is two glasses.

3.8/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from the bottle into my favorite beer glass (large, stemmed wine glass looking thing labeled beer glass on the box). Appearance was a nice golden brown/orange color with a thick head. The head lasted quite awhile then faded to a 1/4 topping. The smell was a bit odd, not sure if the freshness was old or the green bottle threw me - kind of a skunky situation. Taste was typical good Heffe. I like the style so I tend to like quite a few of them. Mouthfeel was nice. Drinkability was as it should be. Could drink a bunch of these.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

My 1st Franziskaner. Had a hell of a time with that damn foil. (I think this is a 16oz. bottle.) Anyway, nice pour into a tall glass, with a huge fluffy white cloud of a head. Didn't really want to go away, either. Typical cloudy-orangish color. Smell was nice. Clean and refreshing. Similar to many others of this style, IE: Hoegaarden, which isn't a bad thing. Nothing amazing, but this type of beer isn't intended to "amaze" one. It's intended to refresh, and on this particularly HOTTER THAN HELL DAY here in PA, it does the job quite well. Very nice. Recommended. Cheers and SAAALUTE my BA friends!

12 ounce bottle taken out of avariety around the world beer pack purchased from Cost Plus World Market in Redlands

Poured into a pint glass with a cloudy yellowish orange color

Head was about 1/2 inch thick and faded quickly

Smell had a little citrus, particularly oranges and grapefruit

Taste was purely wheat with a hint of lemon, smell threw me off

Could drink about three or four of these, pretty heavy stuff for a hef

3.7/5  rDev -9.1%

A- Pours an unfiltered apricot color with an absolutely massive head.

S- Spicy fruits, orange, pear, sweetness.

T- Fruity and wheaty with earthy notes. Slight metallic aftertaste.

M- Creamy with a decent amount of carbonation.

D- This is your run of the mill hefeweizen. Fairly easy to drink but nothing special compared to other german hefes.

4.68/5  rDev +15%

This was the first weiss I ever tried and is still one of my favorites. Has a great nose and a yummy aftertaste. I like it served in a tall glass with a slice of lemon (although I know some eschew fruiting their beer). Not surprisingly, I gained 10 lbs in 6 months after first trying Franziskaner.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

12 ounce bottle from a Cost Plus World Market Beers of the World sampler kit.

Pours a pretty golden with an amazing 1/2 inch white head that is constantly fed by tiny, tiny bubbles.

Aroma of light lemon (almost lemon candy), orange, and even stronger banana swirling around with butterscotch. How do they do that?

Flavor is mostly the banana and butterscotch dancing with a nice light bready malt. Quite tasty, very refreshing, and downright enjoyable.

Good stuff!

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured into a pint glass yielding a dark golden color. With a swirl of the bottle two-thirds of the way, a significant head is produced from the yeast accumulated at the bottom. About one inch of head tops off the pour. Subtle tones of caramel towards the mid tongue. Smooth and frothy like a good hefe-weissbier. Qualifies as a "session beer" and great for summer drinking. Lighter than some others in the same category. Probably had a few hundred of these and it was time to review. Well worth a try.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Finally got around to trying this classic Hefeweizen. Must say, I was really impressed. Poured a dull yellow with a noticeable yeast sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Talk about authenticity! Beautiful fluffy white head seemed to reach to the roof. Smell was of a golden wheat field after a spring rain; pure magic. Also, hints of clove and banana, probably from the yeast strain. As I tipped it to my lips, I was immediately met by the creamy head, followed by a lightly sweet wheatyness and dry banana notes and various other spices. Quite refreshing. This is probably THE mold for a great hefe. Really impressed with this one!

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured this pint into a glass, came out a cloudy golden color with a white foamy head. The head lasted a while and laced the glass all the way down to the bottom. the mouthfeel with light with some carbonation. The taste of this beer was a little more tangy than most hefe-weissens. All in all this is a good beer. Probably not my favorite hefe, but one I will drink agian.

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

Bottle poured into a Weizen glass.

A- It poured a great orange color with lots of carbonation, a huge off-white head, and a hint of yeast to top it off. It left a nice foamy lace behind as I drank.

S- A strong banana scent with some citrus and spice in the background.

T- A combination of banana and citrus that accents the wheaty flavor quite well.

M- It had a soft head and full mouthfeel.

D- Easy to put a couple of these back on a hot day. It also pairs really well with food. I can't beat grilled brats and a great hefe on a summer day.

Overall- Another great example of a German Hefe. I'd say this one holds its own with the other "name" brewers out of Bavaria.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance was very cloudy, I would call it murky. Strong smell of bananas and some bitter fruit, couldn't put my finger on it. Nice head retention throughout the beer. I have to say, I was not as impressed as I expected to be. I thought it was too heavy for the style, and especially for only 5% alcohol (but then again, my bottle didn't have the ABV, but said "malt liquor", which I thought meant between 8-9% alcohol?) Anyway, a good brew, lots of fragrance and flavor for a hefe, but it fell short of my expectations, as I didn't find it particularly drinkable. I still recommend it.

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

For the price, on my list this beer is only a notch below Paulaner'S Hefe Weizen. A 12 pack of these can easily be had for about 12.

When poured into a glass, there is plenty of body to the head, and the color is a medium copper. There is plenty of banana aroma.

An excellent wheat beer I will always want to have in my fridge.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu