Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Franziskaner Hefe-WeisseFranziskaner Hefe-Weisse

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-13-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Alström Bros
santoslhalper

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Had on tap at the South Side Saloon. The other reviews cover pretty much everything, but I have to add that this is possibly the creamiest beer to ever touch my lips. It was so wonderfully smooth I damn near shat my pants. This is a classic hefe right here.

03-27-2005 17:07:57 | More by santoslhalper
ggroller

4.93/5  rDev +21.4%

1pt.9oz. bottle with a gold foil top.

The smell of this beer gets me every time. Bannanas, peaches, pears. The appearance is a beautifully cloudy rusty gold color. Tiny bubbles of carbonation rise to the bottem of the fluffy white head. Nice sticky lacing too. Wonderfully light carbonation. Bready, bannana pancake, taste with a smooth and creamy mouthfeel.

Ah, summer is just around the corner. This beer puts a smile on my face. Like seeing an old friend after a long time apart.

03-17-2005 21:45:45 | More by ggroller
Gagnonsux

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

The color is golden with a slight haze. Head is immense, thick, and creamy. Plenty of carbonation too. Aroma is a moderate clove smell with a bit of banana thrown in too. The taste has a strong presence of spicy clove flavor mixed with mild banana taste. The mouthfeel is very crisp and gives the beer another dimension of character. This is a very good beer, however I don't think it is something I'd want to spend an entire session with. For me a hefe weizen is something I pick up every now and again to switch things up.

03-13-2005 03:21:15 | More by Gagnonsux
droomyster

4.1/5  rDev +1%

This bottle is not very fresh, but even so...
Aroma is bursting with bananas and yeast. Pours is an nice golden orange, cloudy and with lively carbonation speeding up to a white frothy head. The head is about and inch tall and maintains itself well. Taste is subtley sweet, yes - bananas, light but earthy grains, giving way to a strong yeasty doughiness. The sweetness is well balanced by a light bitterness. Smooth texture, body is thin yet somehow creamy. Some unpleasant metal after the swallow. Leaves your mouth feeling lubed. I find this beer really refreshing. I passed the best afternoon of the quarter drinking these with a buddy until dinner.

03-04-2005 04:23:16 | More by droomyster
goodbyeohio

Oregon

4.63/5  rDev +14%

looks..well, orange. murky, fluffy

smells... well, wheaty and sweety!

tastes.. sublime. wheat with unripe bananas. complex refined sugars and orangey flavoring. the perfect hefe.

others have said it before. drink it.

what other hefe's can compete? what other beers can say they are top of the class? not many. this is one of them. not my favorite, but for its style. this is the one that i would pick on a desert isle with my favorite JEFE.

02-25-2005 18:28:17 | More by goodbyeohio
scriabin

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Ah, such sweetness is the hefe-weisse. This ranks pretty high on my list of hefes. It has a classic banana/clove/wheat flavor that is oh so nice. It's noted as a "malt liquor" on the bottle and despite my strong dislike of most beers which I think of as malt liquors, I can see the similarity. The flavor is quite strong, so it might not be the one for those who are ambivalent about their hefes. But if you're searching for a nice quality hefe, you would do well to start here.

02-22-2005 02:15:21 | More by scriabin
Gaisgeil

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Mmm, beer in my tummy.

A classic and nearly ancient example of the style. This one pours a cloudy deep gold with a thick and persistant head. Nose is almost banana like, almost herbal like notes and thick sweetness. The taste does not disappoint following the nose quite closely. Mouthfeel is nice, pretty thick and heavier than I expected.

I suspect my bottle was a little old however and I'm thinking this would be a brew better served fresh, the taste had a certain stale quality, subtle but present.

Overall a fine hefe, I'll probably revisit this one if I can find a bottle that is a bit more fresh.

02-20-2005 07:03:52 | More by Gaisgeil
beertastegood

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance was not too bad, cloudy golden color with a full white head. Smell was very grass-like, spicy hops with a distinct bread smell as well.

Tastes bready, too. I was not prepared to like this beer as much as I did, but the hops and light malt flavors blend absolutely beautifully with the yeast. Be sure to get the swirl going, and for the love of God don't use a lemon.

Mouthfeel is excellent, strong character without being too heavy.

Drinkability is high. I could put away several pints.

Overall, a surprisingly good hefe-weizen from Franziskaner. Now I need to try the Dunkel...

02-07-2005 23:10:29 | More by beertastegood
misterscooter

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

I got this one in a trade. I have a feeling I got the better end of the deal. Poured from a green bottle, the slightly cloudy, golden straw colored beer has a beautiful head that settles down to about a half inch.

I'm really liking the smell of this one very much. It is mellow but I think that fools you because I also pick up a lot of layers in there. They blend well below the wheat smell I get. It is very pleasing to the nose.

This beer is extremely refreshing as it hits your tongue and fills your mouth. Slight malt that complements the mild honey and spices. Just the right amount of carbonation so it goes down really well. Small sips don't do this one justice. You need to bring in a good mouthful and let it sit for a moment. Just a hint of sweet in the aftertaste, maybe a little grape.

This is a good import. I'll gladly trade for this again and I'll definitely pick up a six pack.

02-05-2005 21:55:09 | More by misterscooter
Stimack

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Brew poured to a golden yellow color that was very cloudy, could not see through to the other side of the glass. Had a huge white creamy head that held on for most of the beer and left thick lacing at the top and then fine rings around the rest of the glass. The aroma’s are of wheat, citrus and banana, a very fine smelling brew. The first thing that I notice is a malt flavors that leads to a banana//fruity sweet taste. Has ample hop/spice that I notice need the end with a smooth like feel. I am not a big fan of this type of brew but this one is changing my views! Over all this is an excellent brew, even when having it in the heart of winter.

02-02-2005 14:58:49 | More by Stimack
karst

Missouri

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Served in a Franziskaner Weissbier glass this Hefe-Weissbier's lable shows a Franciscian monk with 3 keys suspended from his wrist (water, grain, hops - yeast the 4th key was unknown until Pasteur's discovery) and pouring directions on the back lable. This unfiltered wheat beer pours a cloudy gold with thick creamy head features great retention and laces the glass well. Waiting, waiting, until this rocky head recedes a little I test the aroma, finding an inviting boquet of esters suggesting bananas, cloves, pineapples waffing up from the tulip shaped top half of the glass. Sipping, a tart almost bitter sweet combination of flavors and a rush of carbonation. Topping off my glass, the formidable head returns and I savor the Citrusy aroma again wishing I was away from the back ground odors of the Pub's bar-room. I thought the body a little light for my taste, but I drink little of this style.

I would definately recomend this to a "wheat lover".

02-01-2005 18:14:41 | More by karst
mgdeth

Montana

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance - This beer poured with a huge creamy white head. It has a semi-deep golden-straw color. Once I got the yeast out from the bottom of the bottle, the beer became cloudy. I bought this one in Texas, so it is laughingly labeled "malt liquor."

Smell - Banana mixed with clovey spiciness. I think I have heard this one described as phenolic. It smells fantastic.

Taste - Spiciness tends to dominate the flavor of this beer. I also pick up some hints of fruit (most notably banana and possibly citrus). The beer does not seem to be super fresh, and this detracts a bit from the flavor.

Mouthfeel - This beer is light and lively, and goes down easily. It has what appears to be an approrpiate amount of feel to it.

Drinkability - This beer is highly drinkable - very smooth, despite packing a good amount of spicy flavor. Try this one on a hot summer day.

Comments - This is a darn fine hefe weizen. I just wish that I could get it fresh.

01-27-2005 03:20:38 | More by mgdeth
watermelonman

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

This poured to a thick shade of yellow and white with a nice big head. There's plenty of lace left in the glass, too.

The beer tastes good, but the smell is what really drives it home. Wheat malts come through strong, spiced up by a great blend of esters. In the mouth, citrus joins in for a taste that has no shortage of flavor. The mouthfeel is very full for the style.

01-24-2005 23:24:03 | More by watermelonman
LarryKemp

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Hefe has been my favorite beer forever. For some reason, I have lately not had any. A friend bought me some for Christmas and tonight is the first one I have opened.

Oh I had forgotten the sweet smell of bananas and cloves. What a delight. The great taste of a hefe after diner which cuts through all the BULL left over from the meal. Delightful mouthfeel. Sweet and full. And lest I forget the cloudy yellow beer with a head that overflows because I pour it for MAXIMUM head and aroma. I had to break out my Franziskaner Hefe glass that I brought home from Germany and drank and remembered the good times.

01-21-2005 02:30:52 | More by LarryKemp
MrNuggets

Oregon

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

The huge white head spilled over the edge of my weizen glass when poured. That's what I like to see! Big spicy nose. Taste is big and fruity, chocked full of bananas with strong yeasty kick. Smooth as silk in the mouth and about as drinkable as it gets.

01-01-2005 04:18:54 | More by MrNuggets
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Sampled this one off tap again last night. The beer poured a testaceous color with a nice ivory head that sticks around nicely. The nose is banana, lemon and cream. Not too strong, but nice. The flavor is creamy, banana and clove. There are hints of lemony tang in there as well. Overall a good beer. The feel is thick and creamy. Just a nice session beer. I think Franziskaner is one of those beers I can always trust.

12-23-2004 19:38:03 | More by kmpitz2
Shultzerdugen

Missouri

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance is dark straw-orange, maybe 20-25 srm; bubbly big guy head w/ nice retention.

Smell. Bananas, oranges, wheat malt, little bit of roses from hops.

Taste. Also some nanners, citrus, with a pleasant nuttiness, great mouthfeel, slick and smooth.

This is an old fall back beer, and along with the Pinkus Organic it is one of my favorite hefe weisses. Way to go, Germany!

12-13-2004 20:05:28 | More by Shultzerdugen
Suds

4.18/5  rDev +3%

Huge, monstrous head…firm, long-lasting, and almost solid. Hefe’ heads are a wonder of nature. The aroma on this brew is the expected citrusy-wheat and clove: pleasant and refreshing. Also, a bit of a yeasty, earthy smell rounds out the nose. Taste is tangy and nearly tart…with a peppery, lemon sensation. Wheat, grainy, and yeasty…just as it should be. Medium body. Slightly peppery, spicy finish. For me, a Hefe-Weisse is a mood-dependent beer, but I’ll never tire of a good one. This one is better than just good.

12-12-2004 19:50:26 | More by Suds
merlin48

Kentucky

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Pours a cloudy, medium yellow body with loud carbonation and a huge, vanilla head that retains well and generously deposits sheet and patch lace all over the glass.
Good Hefe aromas of clove and lemony orange(or is it just mandarin orange?). Some earthy yeatiness is also picked up.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied with high carbonation.
Taste is clove, wheat grain, and tart orange. Swirling the bottle before the final pour produces a prominent, earthy yeastiness that distinguishes this as an excellent Hefe.
Very solid for style. I could drink a couple of these any time.

12-11-2004 11:30:48 | More by merlin48
mynie

Indiana

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

You silly monks! What won't you drink?

Pours cloudy. A very pretty yellow with a nice head that stays. GREAT lacing.

Very musty smell, kind of skunky with malt and hints of clove. Strange and nice.

Nice taste. Wheat malt up front mixed with lemon. Sweet and sour and smooth. More bitter in the back, malt and yeast and more citrus. Very nice.

Very crisp and very smooth. This is the kind of beer that you just let run over your teeth. It feels great and it goes down smooth.

12-04-2004 04:21:01 | More by mynie
mrfosters

Translucent gold with typycal large white head but lacing was almost non existant.Clean fresh aroma.Tasted of smoky banana that comes through rather heavy,not necessarily in a bad way,,just a little strong.This, I believe, causes a slightly cloying finish that I'm not sure about yet, perhaps it just takes some getting used to.I will definitely try this again.So for now it's good.

11-21-2004 22:32:28 | More by mrfosters
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Popular brew in these parts. On tap at Blue Tusk in Syracuse. Spicyness tingling tongue, which is a plus for some and me depends on the night. Cloves, banana from yeast. Lemon in there. Above average for style. Malt sweetness aftertaste. Less carbonation would work .

11-18-2004 00:48:22 | More by Sammy
KoG

Nevada

2.83/5  rDev -30.3%

Pours out of the green bottle a semi-hazy yellow with a touch of orange. Head runs rampant and nearly flows onto the counter, had to let the creamy head settle before I could finish pouring it.

Smell seemed a bit weak, might be my slight cold. Smells like bananas and beer, but not offensive at all, just odd. Not skunky either.

Taste seemed a bit watery, this my be due to the fact that the beer may have not been cold enough. Banana flavour with a bit of... something, not wheat or malt though. Strange aftertaste, sour.

Mouth seemed watery as well. Slightly creamy with a bit of a dry finish.

Drinkability doesn't seem very high, just about average.

11-15-2004 05:12:38 | More by KoG
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

Lightly milky lemon-amber that clears quickly. Where's all the yeast? Must be in the bottom of the bottle. The head is expansive and fills the glass quickly, but looks to be pillowy and insubstantial. As expected, the bone white cap compresses rapidly and lays down very little lace.

The nose is enjoyably wheaty and contains a judicious amount of clove spice. I don't appreciate any banana esters; perhaps that characteristic of the yeast is waiting for actual taste bud submersion. That's it exactly because the flavor is a wonderful mixture of wheat malt and fresh banana with a polite sprinkling of clove.

While the flavor profile makes a feint towards sweet at the start, the majority of the mouthful (and especially the finish) is tangy, tart, slightly puckery and ultimately dry. A relative lack of sugar and a light body increase drinkability in terms of 'ease of'. I'll let the generous amount of carbonation slide since it isn't that bothersome.

Franziskaner Hefe Weisse is good beer. It's a flavorful, well-constructed version with a quenching dryness that is atypical for the style. Although my favorite hefes have nothing to fear, I will look for this one again.

11-11-2004 15:49:51 | More by BuckeyeNation
TexIndy

Re-review:
Poured from a 500ml bottle with no dating system into my Tucher weizen glass. It was hazy golden yellow color almost cider like with some small bits of yeast floating around. It had a massive head that took forever to fall down and even then it had constant 1/2" foam. The aroma was exceptional, perfect, incredible....I love nothing more than the smell of a great hefe. This had had the standard overripe bananas, cloves, a hint of bubblegum but nailed it. Some hefes smell great in certain areas but this one hits it right on all accounts. The taste is just like the aroma - perfect. It hits you with the great taste from the taste and doesn't let up as it finishes perfectly. I may be biased as this is my favorite style but this is truly a 5 if there ever was one. This along with Ur-Weisse and Paulaner are my preferred session beers. Mouthfeel was also exceptional with a great creamy feel and just the right amount of carb. Obviously, I highly recommend this one. (5, HR-HOF, T, Y)

Original review from 11/10/04 below:
12oz green bottle. Poured a pale straw with lots of foam and good carbonation. The smell was heavenly - you can't beat the smell of a good hefe. The color and smell scream classic hefe and the taste followed. Quite simply one of the best beers out there. This has a regular spot in my beer rotation and never fails to disappoint. PR 5.0

11-10-2004 21:46:39 | More by TexIndy