Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Franziskaner Hefe-WeisseFranziskaner Hefe-Weisse

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-13-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Alström Bros

1/2 liter bottle.
Cloudy gold..huge head..lots of foam and lace...lively bubbling...good looking brew....head hanging around.
Smells of faint banana and yeast...fruity phenol.
Tastes sweet malt....doughy banana/clove....a little soapy near the finish, but not unpleasant. Good wheat flavor....touch of citrus. All nicely balanced. Good cold and better as it warms a bit.
Mouthfeel is medium...slight syrup..medium carbonation.
Pretty drinkable stuff. A very good hefe..one of the best I've had...very close to Weinstephaner...would go great with food or on it's own.

Hautacam, Apr 12, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

A - White thick resiliant head with a completely opaque yellow, slightly orange tinted body. Amazing lacing.
S - Banana tart aroma. Cloves and cinnamon.
T - Flavor less vibrant than aroma. Same as the aroma, but with strong citrus lemony notes.
M - A tad thin for my taste. Light carbonation.
D - This is a great little beer. wish the flavor kept up with the aroma.

Naerhu, Apr 10, 2006
3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

The pour is the usual cloudy darker straw color, topped by a big white head. This brew is missing a lot of the banana and clove flavors that I look forward to in a hefeweizen. It has plenty of dough and pale Beligian ale-like spice. Don't get me wrong, this is a high quality beer; it's just not quite what I want when I'm in the mood for a hefe.

goschool, Apr 10, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

A - served with a lemon that was promptly remove, not sure if that affects the head, which was thin, lacy and white. the beer itself is a light brown, hazy with obvious sediment

S - hmm sweet aroma, like cotton candy or bubble gum (even though my girlfriend thinks im crazy, i smell it) this aroma is coupled with a wheaty aroma that i expected

T - the candy/gum sweetness transfers to the taste, what a surprise, didnt expect that, has a yeasty hoppy bitterness at the end

M - thick bodied and yeasty, very well balanced

D - moderate-high, a very refreshing and well brewed beer

sinstaineddemon, Apr 08, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -1%

Pours an orange-yellow color with a definite haze. The color here looks almost like what would happen if you'd let a creamsicle melt. The head is white, foamy, rocky, and beautiful. Some interesting lacing going on. The nose is highly phenolic and estery, but not a strong presence of wheat malt. The flavor profile is really close to what a hefeweizen should strive to be. Good wheat bite along with a strong yeast character to balance it out. The major downside, however, is that it lacks a brightness that I really like in my wheats. More banana than clove. Mouthfeel is moderate bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Decent fluffy wheat mouthfeel here. This one can be a heavy on the stomach compared to some others of the style. All around, this is well done.

goochpunch, Apr 04, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

I had this (vom fass) at Spaten Hof in Munich on March 17, 2006. It was 3.35 Euro for 0.5 L. Slainte!

A: Hazy straw, fluffy white head, lots of lace.

S: Fruity bubble gum esters, citrus, wheat.

T: Fruity esters (pineapple, banana, bubble gum), citrus, bready malt. Not much clove, but all the right flavours.

M: Light to moderate body is creamy, yet prickly. Carbonation is moderate.

D: Awesome.

Derek, Apr 03, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +20.4%

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse pours a cloudy hazy amber with yeasty filament trails cascading down into the brew from the swirled and swished pour, from its 1 pt. .9 fl. oz. very dark brown glass bottle with an aluminum foil wrapt cap. Head of fine light tan foam went to well over three fingers, and leaving ample amounts of lace on the walls of my 24oz beer glass.

Nose is a pleasant citrus sour with hints of clove and banana. Palate is a most delightful medley of citrus sour , clove, and banana. Not to be left unmentioned, the bight of carbonation is well represented also.

In my humble opinion Ladies and Gentlemen, it just does not get much better than this. If you are a fan of German Hefe-Weisse, you can come in out of the cold and settle in with a nice glass of this World Class German Brew.

BeerBob, Apr 02, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

On tap at Flying Saucer

Pours a nice hazy orange with a 1" head.... very nice pour, although she DID put a lemon on the edge of my glass.... oh well.

Big banana yeast aroma... nice and light, yet full at the same time.

Huge banana flavour... tremendously refreshing.... a definite winner for the summer.

I could have used a creamier mouthfeel and a touch less carbonation, but certainly not bad.

Tremendously refreshing and drunkable. Quite nice now that the weather has gotten warmer and I've been walking around outside in a suit all day.

nickss, Apr 01, 2006
3.43/5  rDev -15.7%

Nice thick head. I drank this at a pub here in Wiesbaden, Germany, where I am stationed with the US Army. The smell is very nice. In my opinion this is the best thing about this beer. Bananna's are evident in both the smell and taste. A distinct flavor of spices helps keep this beer's plavor from getting boring. Very easy to drink, however this beer tends to fill me up very fast. I buy about a 24 pack a month of this beer and I am very happy with it. This is my after-dinner-beer. One or two pints and I am too full to have anymore. Overall a great beer.

jeffaz02t, Apr 01, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

This beer looked like a typical hefe weizen with a color that looked like a very light cider and was semi-opaque. The head was small and dissipated quickly. The aroma smelled of full bodied wheat and had a fruity aroma to it with just a hint of spice. The taste was about the same and had a bit more fruitiness than most hefe weizens. I also enjoyed the subtle spice to it which I felt was not overpowering and just right. The mouthfeel was medium consistancy with medium carbonation. The drinkability was excellent in my opinion and I definately enjoyed this beer and would have another. This weizen is most definately worth a try.

jdmorgan, Mar 31, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a tall hefe glass.

A--Very opaque orangish yellow. Has an almost redish tint. Fluffy clean white head 3. Hangs around for a good while but did fall to a thin film. Reasonable lacing. Draws an curious eye from BMC drinkers for sure.

S--Probably the most impressive attribute of this beer is the smell in my opinion. Lots and lots of smooth estery oders. Bananna and cloves are heavy and full. Very intriguing odor, just what I imagine a hefe should smell like.

T--Bold sweetness with a wheaty finish. Round flavor that tastes much like it smells, banannas cloves etc.

M--Medium body that is unwavering. Some carbonation with a slow coating finish.

D--I give it a good because it was just a pleasure to experience this beer. Its an old standby for me at some of the local wet spots. I have had more than 2 pints of this on several occasions but it leaves me feeling full. This is a dessert beer for me in most cases and I only go with one pint or tall bottle.

O--My favorite hefe, hands down, go for it.

fightingwords, Mar 28, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

Beautiful cloudy appearance. The head was nice and thick, retained well, didn't leave much lacing on the glass.

Smelled spicy and had a strong banana aroma.

Tasted slightly sour, banana pulled through and blanced well.

Very full feel

I would definately drink it again and again and again. Very good beer

afordney, Mar 28, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +18.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Pours a rich golden-orange color. The cloudy translucensy makes it appear to almost glow. Light bubbling is visible rising to the top. The white head is nice and foamy -- quite large to start and which is reduced to about 1/4 to 1/2 in. and lingers.

Smell: A fresh yeasty smell emerges from the glass, accompanied by a hint of wheat and citrus.

Taste: This beer's flavor is quite lovely. A very warm wheat flavor is throughly present, but is extremely well-balanced with the other flavors: citrus, yeast, and banana. (Maybe even a tiny hint of walnut as well?) Provides a nice degree of complexity.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth. Seems to have more of a body than many other similar beers that I've tried (but not in the sense of it feeling heavy). Feels somewhat tingly as well, as the carbonation is released.

Drinkability: An extremely pleasing beer. Provides a wonderful aftertaste and is, overall, a treat for the senses. A most relaxing drink that is perfect for nearly any occasion. (Though I seem to have a personal preference for drinking it outside on warm nights with a cool breeze.)

Definitely one of my favorite beers. This was the first beer that I ever had & truly enjoyed.
And if you've never tried a Hefe Weizen, you'd better start here!

mithrascruor, Mar 26, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Served into a Franziskaner Weissbier glass that I inherited from a friend that passed a few months ago (RIP Jim). He picked up the glass over thirty years ago while stationed in Germany.

Anyway, in Jim's honor, I decided to sample this Hefe. Poured from a foil capped bomber into Jim's Hefe Glass. Looks just like I would imagine a good Hefe looking. Medium straw color with thin, whispy head that calms down fairly quickly, leaving a small abount of lacing clinging to the side of the glass. Most excellent. The smell is initially a shot bananas followed by plenty of sweet malts.. Taste is nice as well. Sweet fruit with just enough sour notes to keep it from being over the top. Mouthfeel is good, but little thin and watery toward the end of the swig. Drinkability is also very nice. I could drink these all day, literally.

SethB2, Mar 22, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured into the correct brewery glassware at the Lufthansa business lounge at the Cologne airport. I wrapped up my Germany visit with this hearty meal-of-a-beer (after all of the relatively weak Kolsch samples served in Cologne).

Poured with a thick foamy head, lots of carbonation. Strong yeast and wheat aromas gave way to a sweet fruity taste. Nice satisfying drink.

Nice hefe-weizen, maybe one of the classic examples of the style. I especially like the picture of the happy monk on the bottle, one hand on a beer and the other on his ample belly.

TurdFurgison, Mar 19, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured a 2-finger thick fluffy white head that retained well. Nice cloudy mustard-gold color with active carbonation. Patches of lace all up and down the tall Hefe Weizen glass.

It goes without saying, but there is indeed a heavy wheat aroma here, followed by a secondary malt/fruit/yeast smell. An appealing freshness, like a Saison.

Holy banana! Excellent creaminess, with banana way on top of the other fruity accents, both in terms of flavor and feel. Some hearty yeast accents with a good dose of grains too. Crisp yet hefty and round in the mouth. Finishes extremely clean.

Easy drinking, this one. All the flavor and character you could want in a Hefe Weizen. No one beats Franzikaner at their game, not that I've found...and if someone does, I'd love to try it.

Metalmonk, Mar 16, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured into weizen glass.
Poured a very hazy murky honey color with orange hues. Thick white cap that fell into deep caves as it fell. Settled to a 1/4 inch cap leaving lacings up the side. Aroma was yeasty, grain, citrus, banana, and honey and malty sweetness. Wonderful smell that got me ready to give this one another go round. Taste continued the aroma. Great grainy and yeasty flavor. With banana and honey flavors. Mild bitterness that made this a very smooth and soothing hefe. Medium body with slight wateriness to make it refreshing. I felt it was a little gassy, so maybe a little heavy on the carbonation. Wonderful beer, will be having more of these!

jabocu, Mar 15, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

1pt .9oz bottle. A monk standing on the front, smiling at what appears to be an empty silver mug…I wouldn’t smile, I would want it to be full. Maybe there is still some in there. There are instructions on the back of the bottle that say 1. rinse 2. pour (all but a few ounces) 3. swirl 4. pour yeast.

A—pours a murky, thick burnt orange with 1 inch tan fizzy head, fades to nothing almost immediately, virtually no lacing

S—fruity and wheaty, banana is strongest, followed by orange and lemon, sweet and strong, a touch flowery

T—lots of flavors here, ripe fruits, banana is dominate, wheat flavor is strong, some biscuity flavor as well

M—tart and tangy, mild carbonation

D—Solid. Very solid. One of the best of this style that I have had so far. Will enjoy more of this, especially this spring and summer.

hanco005, Mar 14, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Spaten Franziskaner pours a medium gold with a fluffy and tenacious white head. It's a beautiful beer in a fluted glass. The nose, as you would expect with this style, is full of cloves. The flavor is initially sweet, with some acid firing up after a second or so, with lots of clove and banana that are emblematic for German weisse beers. Mouthfeel is perfect -- light but not watery, highly carbonated... perfect for the style. A highly drinkable beer that's interesting as well.

All in all, I think this is one of the best hefe weizens out there, and for the price (2/3 the cost of Schneider Wiesse where I'm located) you can't go wrong. Just an excellent beer.

geexploitation, Mar 12, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

I've rated this one before... a few months ago, before my reviewing skills have had a chance to develop. I still have a lot to learn, but I wanted to update this review with my updated abilities. Since that time, I've tried various hefes and compared them to Franziskaner.

I still rate this beer very high. As a matter of fact, this is one of my personal favorites. Months ago when I did the first review, I tried to cap my enthusiasm for this brew. I've decided to go all out, though, and let you all know this is truly a great brew. The appearance is good and cloudy...as a hefe should be. The smell is very aromatic... clean, "wheaty" and citrus-like. The taste is very clean, very crisp, and very good. The mouthfeel, like any good hefe, is smooth as silk/velvet. The drinkability on this brew is very high for me (5) because I could drink this stuff all day.

This brew and Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier are among the top brews I've had. They are definitely among the best hefes to try. On a side note, Fraziskaner is a bit cheaper per sixer than the Weihenstphaner. Here in Louisville, KY you can get Franziskaner for just under $7 a sixer, while the Weihenstephaner is about $10 per sixer. Both are worth every penny.

eb003, Mar 12, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This a classic looking cloudy straw-colored beer with big rocky white head. Lovely. Aromas are very muted and they are of yeast and clove. This hefe has a bigger banana flavor than most, but an even bigger berry/ strawberry flavor chases it for a delicious combo on the palate that is called back by a slight hop twang and just a whisp of clove in the finish. This is great beer with a wonderful interplay of classic flavors. Citrus character is notabley abcent and I find I don't miss it. In fact, its almost more refreshing without. Very true to style, but still stands out. This is one of the best wheat beers I've ever had.

JudgeRoughneck, Mar 10, 2006
3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured into my Hofbrau weiss stick.
It poured a pumpkin orange hue with a thick ultra-white head.
The smell is all spice, bananas, and heavy clove. It has a pungent after aroma.
On the first taste, it's slightly bitter, but it mellows out into a smooth light banana, with the aformentioned clove and coriander.
The mouthfeel is very smooth, but still crisp. The beer never became limp.
It was a little bitter for me, but all and all, a damn fine beer.

murrayswine, Mar 07, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

this is my first review...ok

Appearance: cloudy orange, almost brown color, huge clear head on this import. the head remains for a long time. this beer is almost the color of the label on the bottle
Smell: the smell is beuatiful, richly citrus with a little hop smell
Taste: clear banana and citrus. neither malty nor hoppy. the taste is subtle but not too much so.
Mouthfeel: mouthfeel is smooth and oh so refreshing.
Drinkability: this is one great beer, it goes down smooth, no alcohol taste is present what so ever. leaves your mouth feeling clean.

redelephantdane, Mar 04, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

I've only been doing the connoisseur thing for almost a year now...but this is the best hefe weizen I've ever had! I actually put this in my top 5 overall.

Appearance - a cloudy, golden color...nice, thin head

Smell - a banana/citrus mix...I noticed more of a citrus taste as I drank more

Taste - wonderful, lingering wheat-beer with a little kick afterwards

Mouthfeel - creamy feel, slight carbonation that gets stronger in the aftertaste

Drinkability - very light & went well with my dinner

JohnnyM2002, Feb 27, 2006
3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours a very cloudy, pale golden color with a frothy one inch white head, slowly settling to a thick cap that leaves behind a thick sheeting of lace.

Smell; slightly bubblegum like aroma, very ripe bananas, wheat and pale malts. This also has a nice mildly spicy herbal smell.

Taste; wheaty bread dough, with touches of citrus and clove. There's some banana, and a bit of a hop presence. The finish was a bit weaker than expected, lacking in the spiciness in the few other Hefe-Weisse beers I've had. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with nice lively carbonation.

RedHaze, Feb 23, 2006