Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Alström Bros
2.76/5  rDev -32.2%

I guess I am discovering that Hefe-Weisse is not my taste. At least this one isn't. As one reviewer called it, it's the cloves. Yes, that's the taste.. I don't like.

APP - Nice and cloudy, with a good foam that settles into a fair lace.
SMELL- Not much as I can tell. There is the yeast.
TASTE- this is where it loses me. As earlier stated, I now know that wheat must not be my taste. And those cloves! Uugh.
MOUTH- at this point does it matter?
NOTES- This beer is somewhat highly regarded. So be it. Just not for me.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

This is an excellent hefe. Pours a cloudy golden color with a nice, fluffy white head that sits well. Smells of fruit, wheat, and some spices arise. The taste is excellent. I notice mostly a bit of banana that reminds me of those Runts candies but much better. Great mouthfeel with a nice smooth texture. This one goes down super easy and is quite refreshing on a warm day like today. One of my favorites in this style.

4.03/5  rDev -1%

Pours out a hazy straw color with lots and lots of white suds.
I smell wheat and sugar and clove. An oaky banana smell arises after vigorous swirlling. Yeast burns the nose slightly.
Mellow taste with sugars and clove at first then the bitter/sour aftertaste.
This is a great mouthfeel beer. At first you have a quenching clean feeling cold drink followed by the sour and sweet aftertaste which finishes very clean and bubbly.
I could drink lots of these dudes but Weihenstephaner is a better all around drink. I would love to try the Live Oak.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

a: pours a real cloudy golden color, very inviting. Small white head that went away fast leaving little lacing
s: fresh fruit, sweet malt, nice hop presence very nice
t: wow this is amazing, really clean taste sweet flavor, nice hop balance very very refreshing
m: medium bodied beer very smooth

overall this is a very good beer wow its good, very refreshing, deffinatly going to be in my fridge come summer

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a mug. Pours a light, pale orange color, cloudy and opaque. Great billowy white head on top. Nose is all yeast and what. Some hints of citrus, orange, as well as other fruitiness, banana, and spices. Taste isn't as sweet, or strong, as the smell suggests. The banana comes through pretty strong. There are hoppy hints at the end, but the aftertaste is mild. In fact, the beer overall is fairly understated; good, but there isn't a ton there. It is super-refreshing, though. Feel is fairly thin-bodied, with good carbonation. Overall, it's a good beer. One of the first hefe weizens I've had (I was in the mood for some wheatiness). It's a solid, refreshing beer that I would have again if I came across it (although I'm not sure if I'd go out of my way). No complaints.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

A - Wonderful long lasting foaming head and cloudy body. Absolutely what you would expect from a hefe weizen.

S - Striking zesty, fruity nose with cloves.

T - Fruity, tangy flavours are dominant consistent with the smell. Almost no detectable alcohol or bitterness.

M - Lovely smooth foamy, velvety feel.

D - Way too easy to drink.

Overall this is a classic beer and one to savour.

3.6/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a nice golden color, very cloudy, lots of foam.
Grainy aroma with some spice and fruit.
Fruity taste with nice malt. Hints of banana, clove, and citrus.
Mouthfeel was a little heavy for me.
Good, but not my favorite of the genre. Not my top pick for the style.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: A hazy dark yellow hue filled the glass. There was a huge three finger head.

Smell: Major notes of lemon and other citrus flavors. There are minor apples and grain notes.

Taste: Theres the lemon, apples, the citrus, and the grain. Pretty much as expected.

Mouthfeel: Light on the palate. This goes down smooth.

Drinkability: Perfect for a nice summer afternoon.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

You have to be careful pouring this one, in his own glass it has a massive foam if you don't take care. A golden very cloudy colour and lots of chunks ( that I like to pour when we talk about a non-filtered beer. Aroma of banana, peaches and maybe apples, and of course cloves. Velvety mouth, with the fruits and the clove again, and citruses notes with maybe some coriander. Very refreshing, medium to light body that make it easily drinkable.

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

This is, in my mind, the standard by which other Hefeweizens are judged. This beer is cloudy in color with abundant head. Aroma is lots clove. Flavor is additional spiciness. I had this beer on tap last night, and have had it from the bottle many other times; I actually feel it is slightly better from the bottle (I like the bit of sediment in the bottom). Mouthfeel is smooth. All-in-all, quite good.

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

As expected, this one pours with a massive head. The body is a pale yellow with a light cloudiness. Good streams of carbonation. The aroma is not too strong. It's lightly sweetened bready banana and yeast. Quite inviting.

The flavors are very clean and perhaps a bit watery. More light banana and clove, although the spiciness is subtle, with a bready character all around. Some citrus notes in the mix but never tasting sour. The mouthfeel is light, maybe somewhat thin, and it could use a bit more effort from the carbonation considering the style.

A very solid Hefe with good drinkablility, although it can't really stand up to the greatness of, say, Weihenstephaner. Nonetheless it's a refreshing beer and I wouldn't mind having another anytime...

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a very hazy yellow-orange color with a thick, pillowy, white head. Smell is spicy, a little hint of cloves and bananas. The taste is very similar to the nose, with the banana profile coming out much stronger. The mouthfeel is light with a thick, creamy carbonation. A very drinkable Hefe, would be excellent on a hot summer day.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

European 16.9 oz brown bottle. Pours beautiful hazy golden orange color with a big fluffy rocky off white head. Smell is of bananas and clove. The taste is like banana bread in a glass with a touch of clove and malt. Finish is dry with a little bite. This is one good hefe.

4.01/5  rDev -1.5%

Golden hazy appearance. Thin head that slowly faded.

Spiciness and clove are prevalent in the aroma.

Hints of banana, clove, and citrus fruit in the taste. Subtle hop presence brings some pleasant bitterness, Malt is light and toasty. Alcohol not prevalent in the taste.

This beer was very refreshing. An excellent example of a Hefe Weizen.

3.27/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured a pale orange with a fine-grained white head. Strong -- almost pungent -- aroma of cloves and raisins. Later this gave way to coriander and orange after the head collapsed a bit. Taste is a bit harsh with carbonation up front, then a bittersweet pang of orange and a surprisingly bitter finish for a Hefe.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

A-Really big white head on a cloudy light orange golden body.
S- Kind of a light funk to it right off the bat (in a good way). Some nice big wheat aromas with light banana, cloves, few other spices.
T- Banana, cloves, light funkness (not really sure how to pin point that down), wheat, few hop spices, light bitterness. It is almost like a mix between a hefe and a light saison with the whole funky thing going on.
M- Medium to thin body with medium carbonation.
D- It is really good. Like I said before almost like a saison and a hefe mix. I am not sure how fresh this is so it might be a bit old and that is where the funk comes from but it very good.

4.41/5  rDev +8.4%

This is the real deal! I lived in Nuremberg for four years, and this is the prototypical Bavarian wheat bear. Tucher's are my favorite, but this is as close as I've been able to come to it in the USA. Life will be worth living as long as I can get this beer!

3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

A: A very cloudy lemon, orange color with a big, one inch, fluffy off white head. Looks creamy and lovely.

S: Strong clove presence, with some slight banana and apple cider-like. Not too bad.

T: Pretty decent stuff. A nice blend of the banana, cloves, apples, and wheat, neither one being too overpowering. Some very slight citric presence can be found as well. Ends with a yeast taste and banana.

M: Medium/thin body that suites well and goes down easy and clean.

D: One easy beer to drink. Now, I haven’t tasted too many hefe weizens, or a whole bottle to my self, but I know I have tasted better. Nevertheless, this one is not bad and definitely flavorful. I will probably be picking another up.

3.92/5  rDev -3.7%

Popped from a bottle I got at ABC Liquors:

Appearance is cloudy brown with a good tan-colored head that dissipates to a light cover.

Smell is earthy malt with the slightest hint of hops.

Taste is a slightly sweet iced tea taste since there is only a hint of carbonation taste.

Mouthfeel is thin but fine.

Drinkability is really good. I think I'll have another.

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

12 oz green bottle poured into a hefe glass. Tall fluffy head with active sound, and very strong retention.
Smell is like a clove cigarette with some wheaty sourness. Taste has some herbal spiciness to it with added wheat graininess.
Mouthfeel is fairly light with very active carbonation. This is a refreshing beer and can be sessioned well.

Darker than expected on the pour--somewhere between golden and amber with some haze. Capped by a pillow of foamy white head that collapses pretty quickly but clings longingly to the glass as the beer falls away. The nose is characterized by an appealing grainy scent, with less of the banana/clove notes that I expected, though the spice is still detectable. Similarly subtle but interesting in taste--grainy and sweet at the front but at the same time more spicy and dry in the finish. The mouthfeel is similarly balanced, falling somewhere between lightly chewy and subtly crisp. This is a nice example of my most beloved style.

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

I keep going to the store looking for something new, but somehow I always end up picking up a six pack of franziskaner hefe-weisse. Its such a crisp clean taste that its almost a necessity to quench my thirst for a good beer. I can always pick out flavors and "Be Constructive" in my definition of this distinct taste, but thats hardly doing it justice. Give it a try, then give it a try again.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Yummy yummy yummy in my tummy. Yes, that about sums it up. :)

Poured into a splendid Franziskaner branded weizen glass, it's Elaine-like dance moves just called out to me. I'm usually the last wallflower anyone would pick to tango, but this baby was gyrating like there was no tomorrow. She was drowning in melon body lotion, & something sweet that seemed like she was trying to cover up her age. Her hair was in a bun, but was coming out at the seems. I like the "tossed" look; really hot.

The lemon wedge initially threw me off, but I kind of liked it. Gave the flavors a sort of two tone impression. A little white pepper & poppyseed muffin mix thrown into the taste & body. She lied about her weight(of course), but it was nothing I couldn't handle. Finished dry, like so many good mouth-watering things do. It's all just so complete.

Franziskaner is a gal's name right? Ehh, I've woke up to worse.

Now as I write this, so very early in the morning, I contemplate cracking one open & inventing a new style of oatmeal. I wonder if any Quakers would stray for some of this! :)

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured into an authentic Franziskaner glass, swirled yeast and added.

Murky straw orange with big white frothy head that always has a full millimeter or two of presence.
smells of raw fleshy green fruit, pears and apples
The flavor is very raw, has butternut squash notes, citrus notes of orange and even a little star fruit. Very deep weizen flavors, nothing all that special in terms of taste complexity but a lot of it.
This brew has always seemed a little thicker to me then most hefe-weizens, a little more body to it. For this reason I would call it a rather luxurious hefe-weizen.

Oh and the glassware you use for this beer certainly makes a huge difference. Drinking out of the hefe glass that is tapered at the bottom half but then gets larger in the last eighth of the glass allows the beer to have a splash back effect after each swill, disturbing the beer and sending a new troop of willing effervescence to the top of the brew, rejuvenating the head.

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%

This was my first Hefe-Weizen from a few years ago, nicknamed Monk Spunk by my mother.
For my first wheat it was great, I tacked on to it and now often enjoy several wheat classics, but this guy will always have a place in my heart.

Appearance- Its got it going on. It pours a solid 2 finger head with the wheaty whispy head. A little off color like it should be and then the head resides. The best part about the look is the spunky cloudyness. The looks of this beer tells any Budweiser boy that your packing Spaten heat.

Smell- little hint of bananas. it's is very arromatic and delightful. No hint of alcohol, but very smooth mix of perfection.

Taste- This taste got me to be a believer in wheat. It's smooth and by no means offending. It's one of those "great for a hard days work in the summer" berrs. Slight banana taste, a subtle hint of cloves, great blend of wheat malt and only tiny notes of hops, the malt is the real flavor your going to find on this guy.

Mouthfeel- Not overly bubbly, a crisp enjoyable drink with a pleasing finish.

Drinkability- Franziskaner is great on several occasasions, if I'm chilling with the guys for the night I have once or twice handled a six pack of this without ever getting bored of it. It has its purpose, I'd say it deserves a taste every six months at absolute most. And thats pretty good for me cause like a true BA I drink a large variety of beer.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu