Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Franziskaner Hefe-WeisseFranziskaner Hefe-Weisse

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,560 | Hads: 3,687
4.79/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my all time favorites. Been drinking it for years. Love the 'Thick' Hefe mouthfeel and the essence of banana and clove. The Monk on the front of the bottle takes away any guilt I may have of drinking too many. I still do not find this beer generally available everywhere here in Illinois. Good in the summer after a day of gardening, or good in the winter while working out in the garage.

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

500 ml bottle into weizen glass, bottled on 6/11/2013. Pours very hazy golden amber color with a 2 finger dense white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a large amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of big banana, pear, apple, lemon zest, clove, wheat, bubblegum, bread, herbal, grass, and yeast earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great complexity and balance of fruity/spicy yeast and malt notes; with good strength. Taste of big banana, pear, apple, lemon zest, bubblegum, clove, wheat, bread, herbal, grass, and yeast earthiness. Lingering notes of banana, pear, apple, bubblegum, clove, wheat, bread, herbal, floral, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Damn nice robustness and complexity of malt, and fruity/spicy yeast ester flavors; with a great malt/yeast balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium-high carbonation and medium bodied; with a lightly creamy, smooth, and moderately crisp mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with no warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent hefeweizen. All around great balance and complexity of fruity/spicy yeast and malt flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

12 ounce bottle poured into a Weizen glass.

Appearance: Hazy sunset orange. Swirled the bottle to get the yeast in. Great head. Looks delicious.

Smell: Intoxicating. The smell reminds me of summer. Clove and banana. Nice bready undertone from the high level of wheat malt.

Taste: Dead on with the smell. Great banana and clove phenols. Good spiciness and bolder than most Weiss beers I've tried. Sweetness, but not cloyingly so. A bit of Carmel on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Full, creamy and smooth. Drinkability at 5% is off the charts.

Overall: A perfect Hefeweizen. My go to and always a staple in my fridge. Well done, high quality and perfect price point. Can't beat that combination.

4.23/5  rDev +4.7%

This is one of the few go to Brews I buy on a regular basis. Just the label of the Monk or Friar had me sold when I saw it. This is one good weissbier that is easily accessible in NYC. What I enjoy the most of this bier is the cloudy color and the amazing taste that does not overwhelms the tastebuds but instead leaves you wanting more. I could write all day long on this one but is up to you to go out and taste it yourself.

p.s: Drink a lot of them.

-No need to do all that fancy review $*@!

3.76/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

One of my first favorite beers. Half inch thick layer off bright white tightly packed small foam on top. Lightly cloudy golden hued brew. Lush banana dominated nose with a hint of clove. The banana notes carry well into the flavor along with a light wheat component. The fade moves into a gentle bit of clove. The mouthfeel is gentle and yet moderately carbonated.

Love this beer. It's tastes like cloves and has perfect carbonation. So smooth and taste great. I drank this beer about thirty minutes ago and still have a slight clove taste in my mouth. Hummm. Color was perfect and made a nice foamy top when I poured it. This was my first time to try this beer and its my new favorite

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

This has a cloudy, gold-yellow appearance with a nice medium-thick white head. The smell gives off hints of the nice fruity flavor to come. In the taste battle between fruity and wheaty, fruity wins out by just a tad, and it makes for near perfection. The mouthfeel is nice and smooth. I really enjoy this beer, and the first word that comes to mind when thinking about it is refreshing.

Visual: Golden straw yellow and cloudy, not clear.
Aroma : Smells very malty, sweet, and banana scent present.
Taste: Has a nice sweet taste to it and it's not really bitter. Not too hoppy and has a banana taste.
Mouth feel: It has a nice lace to it, and it has a medium thickness. It's very carbonated so you fell the carbonation in your taste buds.

Overall: The beer is very refreshing and it is perfect with greasy food. It has a very nice smell and great taste. So far this has been the best Hef that I've tasted.

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle -> Chalice

Pours a hazy unfiltered looking solid gold color. Medium head last a little while.

Smells of banana and cloves. Very pungent.

Tastes like is smells. Delicious, fruity but with distinct noticeable malt.

Mouthfeel is really great. Perfect carbonation. Just enough weight, but perhaps a little on the filling side if you drink a lot. Perhaps a little too grainy and the sweetness sticks to your mouth some but it's not unpleasant.

Excellent overall. Would recommend to anyone.

Love this beer. Just simply the best. I can drink this all day and every day and night. It has a great taste and smell. Can be drank during any season. Try this beer because it's the nector of the gods. Just thinking about it makes me want one of theose bad boys.it is that goood

3.94/5  rDev -2.5%

A major pro of this beer is that it's around 2.50 for a pint bottle. Everything helps.

The appearance is of course perfect. Most Weiss biers are gorgeous, this one is no exception.

The smell is outstanding, everything I hoped it would be.

The taste is not as strong as I had hoped. Of the many Weiss biers I've had, this one seems almost a little weak. Just not as flavorful as something like Weihanstephaner. Still quite good though.

The mouthfeel is also lacking, good, but not that amazing. Doesn't linger very long. What it does leave is good, just not enough I think.

Overall, I think it's a very good beer.

4.23/5  rDev +4.7%

A - Hazy, golden yellow, medium head, nice lacing

S - Typical Hefe aroma with hint of banana

T - Delicious wheat flavor, yeasty

M - Light bodied as to be expected given the style, solid carbonation

O - I love this beer! Pretty much opened the door on wheats for me which I had closed a while back. Will definitely be drinking this again.

4.27/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This review is for the Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse beer. The bottle says that it is 355ml aka 12oz. I love me some wheat beers! This one was very good. I served it in a wheat beer glass (the way its meant to be consumed). After the head dissipated I took my first sip and I have to say this is a great beer! I Loved it. You can get some yeast, bread, banana, and spices (typical hefe notes). I drank this beer very cold, I think that's how this should be consumed. It is a refreshing beer so consume it cold to cool you down. The Franziskaner was about $1.50 for a 12oz bottle. I also drank an Ayinger Bräu Weisse right before I drank this beer. I felt like the Ayinger was just smoother and more enjoyable. It was bubbly like champagne in the mouth. The negative to the Ayinger is that it cost me $3.50 a bottle (16.9oz).

Make no mistake, this Franziskaner is a top beer! It is a better buy in my opinion than the Ayinger. I'd drink this beer no problem. I just felt it didn't have as much flavor? That could be my fault... being drunk and eating food could have skewed my palate. I drank the Ayinger while sober. :)

My reviews are more mental notes for me. I don't really care about smells, appearance, etc. Just the overall taste.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

This is probably one of my all-time favorite beers and is also an easy go-to when you don't have time to compare or if you experience any indecision. It's a perfect hefe and should be appreciated and consumed with respect to the drinking experience.

Visually, a beautiful golden yellow-orange with a sound head. Serve it in a classic Hefe glass or even a chalice.

Either on tap or in the bottle, it is delicious during any season as it pleases all year 'round.

Pair it with a light & crisp pizza or any shellfish dish. Good appetizer beer with roasted potatoes, tacos, cured meats and lighter cheeses (goat, feta). With excellent carbonation, your palate will be cleaned and ready for the next bite.

3.84/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

An excellent hefE-weisse. Very nice mouth feel. Not very bitter. Chewy, good amount of wheat, grain, and silt. Not to the level of Weihenstephaner, but I do love this beer and will order it again. Not as smooth as other hefs, has allot of complexity to it.

3.89/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Thick, foamy head, lasted as long as it took to drink. Full bodied, Very little bite. Hints of citrus. Cloudy, deep orange appearance, quite yeasty which I like. A very decent witbier, A good substitute for Hoegaarden. For me personally, Its more widely available, I would advise buying over any other widely available macro.

3.83/5  rDev -5.2%

Pale cloudy beer with a nice white everlasting foam, some laces are left behind.Aroma shows fruits and wheat.Its taste is very wheaty, a bit sweet and bready, cloves are present too..Bitterness almost not present.Medium bodied with a nice mouthfeel, very refreshing beer.

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

I am not a fan of Wheat beers in general but this was the beer that changed my mind. I first had this beer on tap but am reviewing it from the bottle.

AP: pale, cloudiness like one would expect, almost cider-colored.

SM: Yeast dominates the aromas coming off the pour. Almost metallic (but in a good/rising bread kinda way)

M: very light on the tongue but certainly not lacking in flavor. Smooth.

T: the truest form of liquid bread I've ever had. The beer isn't trying to hide behind any spice or fruit additives at all.

I highly recommend.

4.12/5  rDev +2%

On tap in the proper glassware.

A- Hazy, unfiltered golden color with a touch of orange hue. Slim white head tapered to a lasting film and left some lacing.

S- Light and airy citrus fruit and spice. The wheat comes through gently.

T-Citrus fruit, lemony. Some banana and spice, wheat.

M-Cool and smooth. No bitterness, yet tart from the generous carbonation and citrus. It has some yeasty funk that I like.

O- Light and easy drinking, yet full flavored. Well balanced and not too dry. Solid wheat beer.

3.77/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Hazy gold to orange, lasting foam on top.

S: Lemony, some banana, even orange, wheat.

T: Strongly carbonated, somewhat close to orange drinks like Fanta (!), sweet and just a bit sour, highly refreshing.

M: Banana flavour stronger few seconds after.

O: Very good. Not my favorite hefeweizen (Weihenstephaner and Kapuziner have more delicate taste and still are my favourites in this style), but still highly recomendable. Somewhere in the league with Paulaner, Maisel's Weisse and Tucher hefeweizen. More carbonated than most of outstanding wheat bears, therefore ideal for thirsty warm days.

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a 12 oz shaker glass from a bottle. Poured gently but still got a healthy head like you would expect from a good wheat beer. Foamy, 3 finger head disappeared in 3-4 mins. Smells yeasty with cloves and slight banana aroma. Slightly sweeter than other hefe's I've had, not a negative, just an observation. All in all, another outstanding wheat beer from the masters of the style (the German's) The appearance was a little more amber than other of the style.

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful cloudy beer, solid white head, straw colored body.

Big banana yeast nose with light, sharp hints of lemongrass.

Flavor follows, with big banana notes, a slight tartness, and a creamy, milky body of wheat and pale malt.

Lively and refreshing feel. Medium sting, nice finish.

One of the better - and quite available - Hefes out there. A solid and flavorful beer.

3.52/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My first Hefe but wasn't exactly what I expected but still liked it.

A - Cloudy golden yellow. Full white head that doesn't subside quickly. Strong lacing until the last drink.

S - Phenolic with a bread and yeast aroma. Some light grain and some Belgian funk is present.

T - Strong phenolic clove flavor with yeast, bread, and wheat character on top. Has subtle hints of banana and vanilla that settle out after the clove. Some sweetness with the spiciness but without bitterness. Spice from the phenolic covers the light hops bitterness but still a little noble hop flavor underneath. Similar to a Belgian wit or blond but with more clove and less sweetness.

M - Lighter mouth-feel. Has great carbonation for sitting in the bottle for an extended period of time. light body make this brew refreshing without being too dry.

Overall, this is a nice summer brew when it's too hot for a heavier beer. Not my favorite but will harvest the yeast and probably brew a clone in the near future. I suspect that this is a very good example of the style with the strong clove and yeast taste but I know that there are some Hefe's with more banana and bubblegum flavor.

Glass- Pint

4.27/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: very hazy, big fluffy white head, golden yellow with orange tint

Aroma: lemony citrus, banana, clove, light summery aroma,

Taste: balanced flavor, banana and subtle clove taste, with a malt backbone that really stands up without being overly heavy,

Mouthfeel: a little prickly but with a smooth finish, light-medium body

Overall Impression: A refreshingly light German hefe that is very well balanced and smooth to the swallow. Residual tingles remain in mouth beckoning for another swig.

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a very cloudy golden color with a thick foamy head. Head retention and lacing are excellent. There is a decent amount of sediment. Complex aroma of wheat, coriander, bananas and slight orange peel. Smell something different with every sniff. Wheat taste with some coriander spiciness and heavy banana aftertaste. Very smooth. Medium to heavy bodied with high carbonation. Excellent hefe! Would come back for more.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu