Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,552 | Hads: 3,597
3.41/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours a three finger head, the color of simmering caramel. Light brown tinted with a little bit of black The liquid is cloudy dark rust mud. Smells clove, sweet, honey, corainder. Lacking in banana. Tastes sweet strong clovey and some wheat. The sweet fades under pressure of the clove and the finish is dry. I can't tell about hop bitter, as the clove is dominating my pallete. For me, and enjoyable, but standard Hefe. (420 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -15.6%

Served chilled in a pilsner glass

A - pours a hazy dark yellow with lots of sediment. An aggressive pour leads to minimal head

S - not much here, hints of banana and clove, but really not much aroma. Maybe more will come out as it warms....

T - kind of light on the taste, sweet, malt, banana, wheat, what is there is nice, but again, maybe more will come out when it warms a bit.

M - smooth, no hint of alcohol, "crisp"

O - not bad, i just wish there was more here. Maybe I've become accustomed to the "doubles" and "imperials" i've been drinking lately, but I'm trying to keep the style in perspective. Nothing bad to say, I was just thinking there would be stronger attributes to this one. (697 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz, the new design is apparently a green bottle with the name "Weissbier." Poured really cloudy, bright yellow/orange color. Quite a bit of yeast at the bottom. Flavors were fairly typical wheat beer, a bit more bigger/intense than, say, a Widmer, but at the same time not as fresh and bright. Came across a little stale at times. (333 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -15.8%

Another decent product from Franziskaner. This is sort of a typical hefe, a nice orange wheat creamy bubbly brew that's nice, especially fresh. The light fruity balance and complexity really make this a nice brew, and of course they are found absolutely everywhere in Munich. When there, I prefer to look for something different, but if nothing else is available, this isn't bad at all. (386 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this beer on tap at Grill One Eleven.

Very nice looking beer retained a good head and looked great in the glass.

Smell was amazing. Lots of bananas and some spicy notes. Very nice.

Taste was average. Not really my favorite although I'm not usually a huge fan of this style.

Mouthfeel was good but not really very drinkable to me. I certainly wouldn't have more than 1. (376 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -15.8%

A bit of citrus and grainy flavors as well as a spice I can't quite put my finger on possibly cumin. Difficult to say since the beers flavor is very mild.

Never heard of this one until yesterday when I saw it on the shelves in a neighboring state and bought a couple six packs. It's still cold here so this is speculation but I expect it to be a great hot weather brew. The rationale being although certainly unique it's similar to other domestic wheat beers which certainly are great summer time drinks. (506 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -15.8%

Cloudy dark yellow with a good-sized, dense white head that lasts til the end.

Scent of cloves and light banana.

Tastes similar to it smelled but too much wheat for my liking.

Very smooth and good carbonation. Very high carbonation but its level is fitting.

Not a huge fan of the style or the strong wheat flavor of this one, so in my opinion this isn't the most drinkable beer. (382 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -16.1%

Served in a pint glass at trivia night at Mullen's in Wheaton, IL.
Day #3 of a "A Beer a Day' summer.

A: Hard to tell in the dingy dark of the bar. Orangeish/yellow. Not too clear. Medium thickness with no head and very little lacing

S: Try as I might, I couldn't really smell anything from this beer. Either it was too neutral or the rest of the bar was interfering-- nothing seemed to fight its way into my nose.

T: Banana, citrus, yeast, ester. Classic hefeweizen taste to me. Not much aftertaste to me.

M: Clean, crisp, very carbonated, but at the same time, a little watery. Expecting more taste throughout the beer.

Overall, I wonder how long it had been since someone last ordered this beer at this establishment, because I remember ole Franzi having a bit more body to it. Still an eminently drinkable beer... just wanted a bit more. (846 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -16.1%

A: Muddy golden colour. Huge white foam, small bubbles which dissapear quickly.

S: Little yeasty. Smells like a wheatdough. Little bit of lime, coriander and banana sweets. Not as much as other weizenbeers I've tested,

T: Refreshing, more of the coriander and banana sweets. Aftertaste is bitter lime.

O: A good hefe-weizen but have both tried better and worse. (364 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -16.1%

This beer poured a huge fluffy white head that lasted till the last pull. The color was a light cloudy gold. The smell was yeasty with a slight hop smell. The tatse was also yeasty with a very refershing lightness to the body. I really enjoyed this brew and will be buying more of them in the future. (300 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -16.3%

The guy on the bottle looks like he's enjoying this hefe, so hopefully I will too. It pours a typical Hefe appearance. Straw yellow & cloudy with some orange highlights. There is a big frothy white head, but it did'nt last long. Aroma is full of yummy grains. There are also some fruity esters coming through, though nothing really jumping out. tAste is very mild and clean, almost bland compared to some other hefes i've had. There is a grainy cereal taste up front, followed by some slight tropical fruitiness. All this is very mild, making this one quaffable brew. There is virtually no aftertaste, and watery mouthfeel followed a slightly stickyness. This is just your average german hefe. A good representative of the style, but I prefer something with a bit more flavor (775 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -16.3%

This is weird stuff. Interesting, but weird.

Huge white head piles up and slowly, slowly dies down over a murky, yellowy orange. It smells sweet, and when you lean in you get a funky yeasty smell, with a bit of fermenting straw thrown in. It's light-bodied, fine fizziness has a distinct banana flavor livened with lemon, a long lingering lemon that dies down to a prickle and dares you to see what it can do to you next.

It took me a while to drink it; this is too weird for me. (485 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -16.3%

The color is a cloudy light orange. A good head as a hefe should have. Nice lacing.

Smells of bananas but its a little harsh for some reason. some alcohol.

Tastes sweet and spicy, yeasty. Not so creamy as I was kind of expecting, maybe thats a problem. Taste a little watery and the carbonation is a little prickly on the tonge. OK, but not great. (349 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tasted this at he Bavarian Beer Cafe in York Street Sydney.
Cloudy pale orange, dense white head that leaves misty white tidal rings on the way down.
Nose is restrained, maybe due to serving temperature.
Flavour of banana & clove, wheat, with the slightest hint of raspberry.
Aftertaste of lemon sherbet. Touch sour, no bitterness. Very drinkable & refreshing. (365 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -16.8%

Hefe- is quick becoming my beer of choice along with IPAs Franziskaner poured an almost peach color and only if you squinted could you see that it was a very cloudy yellow. The white head was very rocky with many fine bubbles, but once some of the yeast was added it fortified it and made it more creamy and thick. Smell was only average. The aromas were all compteting with eachother which made it very difficult to simgle in on any prevalent flavor. What I could detect was a fair bit of biscuity malts and perhaps a touch of sour lemon. The taste was thin and refreshing as all good hefes are, but the malts were too astringent. And it had an unpleasant bitter aftertaste which morphed into a cleaner taste. This beer was also too carbonated for me. Fair hefe- and probably better fresh. (790 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -16.8%

Hazy yellow color topped with a thick off-white head. Some pretty good lacing on my glass too. Fruity, banana, vanilla flavors with a touch of spices in there. Mouthfeel is kind of thin though. Pretty much what I had expected. Light-bodied and refreshing. (255 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -16.8%

Honey-orange color. Bright white head that lasts in sheets on the side of the glass. This has a strange smell. I can smell the yeast and clove, but also this sort of smells like some kind of lager. Slightly off-putting. It's also slightly present in the taste. But otherwise, it tastes fairly good. Good banana and clove flavors. Not my favorite hefe weizen, but good nonetheless. (380 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured from a can of 500 ml. The colour is a very muddy yellow, with a one finger head that didn't last long.

Nice fruity smell, with strong bananas aroma.

Taste is bitter.

Thick bodied with quite a carbonation, leaves a dryness.

Overall a very nice beer. (262 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured a hazy, straw yellow with a touch of crimson. Medium, frothy head dissipated quickly.

Smelled rich and sweet. Yeast, clove, coriander and bubble gum were most obvious.

The taste however was not nearly as complex. Some citrus and hops were detectable.

Carbonation was a bit much initially yet it later settled down. Body was thinner than expected.

Overall, a mediocre hefeweizen. (389 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -17.1%

A- Poured to a 3 fingered white head. Was a cloudy hazy yellow. Left some lacing with every swallow. Head lasted throughout the whole bottle.
S- Had a slight banana smell. Also of wheat.
T- Tasted like bananas, wheat and a touch of citrus.
M- Had some good carbonation, perhaps too much. Otherwise it was on the light side.
D- I couldnt drink these all the time. But it did have a flavor that perhaps you might crave, and you just had to have one. (448 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -17.1%

Dense foam and amber-cloudy colour. Tastes clove, faint cinnamoon, and banana, not so sweet. Very yeasty, my bottle that had less than a month for running its valid period, was already presenting some white flutters, though not protein flocos but yeast. Not so swwet, which is good. (282 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -17.1%

Deep and cloudy amber orange topped by an puffy, billowing head. Beautiful beer in a weizen glass.

Smells tart and citrusy with a hint of alcohol.

Tastes great. Very tart and wheaty. The finish is very citrusy, and there's a definate alcohol burn back there too.

Very dry mouthfeel. Not bad.

This beer is great now and again. Unless it was with a meal, I don't see myself pouring another. This isn't one of my favorite styyles, though. (447 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured into a pint glass. Hazy yellow orange color. Very carbonated. Head took off and I am waiting for it to calm down so I can pour the rest of the bottle. While I'm waiting I might as well tell you that the head is just a hint darker than bright white. Soapy looking on the side but a bit like ocean foam on top.

Smell is as I expected, musty, week old, soggy bread. I try to give better descriptors to these styles of beer but that's all I can come up with. There is a very sour smell I can't put my finger on. Maybe after the taste.

Taste is... wow.... not too bad. It is sweet and fruity. I have to think hard to figure out what kind of fruit. Maybe grapes or raisins. Just a hint of citrus. Aftertaste is sour bitter.

Mouth is light and refreshing. I am grading a Wheat so I must score accordingly. A bit watery but for the style I think it stands up. Like I said in the taste, a bit of a sour after taste which translates in the mouth as having a bit of a dry finish.

Overall I was pretty impressed with this this. I will never drink this style (or this beer) on a regular basis and this beer did not change my beer loving pallet, but I must admit that this wasn't a bad brew. Easy drinking (mouth not taste) summer session beer. I have to thank Skip for this sample. (1,280 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -17.3%

Appearance - The beer poured really well until i got the sediment out of the bottom. it had what looked like big brown clumps of yeast (im assuming this is just this bottle). The head poured about 3 inches in my weisse glass.

Smell - The smell of the beer was really good. I could smell distinctly the coriander and other spices as well as the little hops to balance out the spices with bitterness.

Taste - The first taste was more bitter than I have come to expect from a Weisse, but that is only because I am still a rookie with beer tasting. The coriander came through very clearly as well as slight hints of banana and clove. Some drinks had a very strong banana flavor, while other drinks were very much full of clove and others coriander; some drinks had a good combination of all 3.

Mouthfeel - Has a very smooth finish where all of the spices come through in glorious fashion.

Drinkability - I consider this one of the most drinkable beers I have had. It goes down very smooth and had a good mixture of all of the spices. (1,035 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured from an undated 12 oz. bottle: not quite as hazy as I remembered, the hue was a bright, yellow-golden with a attractive, foamy white head that quickly dissipated.

Rather restrained, sweet and spicy aroma slowly revealed some banana and bubble gum aromas.

This hefeweize is quite refreshing but has too much sourness on the palate. Otherwise, the founded malty mouthfeel has a nice interplay of banana and clove flavors.

The body was a little too thin for the style and the carbonation did not have that spritzy feel I expect from the style. The flavors were short-ived on the palate.

This was the first hefeweizen I tried while in the military back in the 1990s. It is good, but I have tried many better examples since then. (739 characters)

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu