Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,565 | Reviews: 1,588
4.99/5  rDev +22.6%

Poured from a 50 CL bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Pure heaven! Wheat, spices and mild yeast follow through.
Appearance- A murky dark yellow with a large white head.
Taste- Incredible, I have always loved this beer from my overseas days to now. A perfect blend of the aromas into a fantastic flavor.
Palate- A medium boded beer with moderate carbonation. An outstanding velvety texture that compliments the flavor.
Overall- I love Hefeweizen style beer and I love this beer. World Class!!

4.97/5  rDev +22.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Golden deep yellow. Good thick foamy head that dissapates in about 3 minutes

S: Beautiful smell of banana and hint of clove.

T: Tasty hint of banana and deeper taste of clove and spice. Fantastic!

M: Carbonated goodness with a great change in taste between the tip of the tongue and the back of the throat.

D: I could dink a few of these as it is the best Hefe-Weisse I've had yet.

4.94/5  rDev +21.4%

So far this my favorite. I think better taste than weinenstephaner.

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

Green bottle cracked open and poured into hefeweizen glass.

Appearance= Cloudy yellow with good head that froths about for a good while. decent lacing.

Aroma= Some banana, citrus and wheat produced by the yeast.

Taste= Same as above with some malt backbone. but very little. Hops are extract only, so you won't taste any here.

Palate=medium-bodied.

Overall, a great beer for the style and an excellent choice for those or when any beer drinker wants a lighter style and to have more than a few.

Great stuff from Germany, as always.

I wish they would do away with the green bottles,though.

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

God i love this beer! This is the one that got me into craft beer. I can always fall back on it and just fall into its greatness. I think its quite better in the bottle too.

Pours out a beautiful cloudy yellow with a great lively creamy white head. Lots of bubbles present spewing their way to the top.

Smell is like a religious experience for me. Brings me back to such great memories. Lots of bananas and cloves. Some citrus too.

Taste: heavenly.still the bananas and cloves come through. such a good balance of the hops and malts. nutmeg and holiday spices come through. I love this hefe in the winter.

Mouthfeel: creamy on the tongue, the carbonation is very present int the mouth which gives it a nice spicyness to it with the flavor.

Overall i say this beer is awesome. I could enjoy one or five in a night. I will never get tired of this beer. A lot of people say this style is a gateway to good beer, and i think this is a prime example of why. Hell it got me.

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

My absolute favorite hefe. Excellent color, a cloudy golden with a small head that stays till the last sip. Clove scents, followed by a bready scent and flavor that goes nicely with the wheat/yeast combo. If you like hefeweissens, you will absolutely love this beer. Go back to the original!

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

1pt.9oz. bottle with a gold foil top.

The smell of this beer gets me every time. Bannanas, peaches, pears. The appearance is a beautifully cloudy rusty gold color. Tiny bubbles of carbonation rise to the bottem of the fluffy white head. Nice sticky lacing too. Wonderfully light carbonation. Bready, bannana pancake, taste with a smooth and creamy mouthfeel.

Ah, summer is just around the corner. This beer puts a smile on my face. Like seeing an old friend after a long time apart.

4.89/5  rDev +20.1%

At the Coppermine Pub in North Arlington, NJ. Into a weizen glass, it poured a hazy bright yellow, with less than a finger of white head, little retention, and average lacing. Not overly carbonated. Big bubblegum in the nose, as well as banana, lemon/lime, and clove. The taste was just as pronounced as the nose, also revealing hints of green apple and biscuit, and a crisp finish. Not as thin as you would expect, and very smooth, with modest carbonation. Great specimen of a good hefeweizen.

4.89/5  rDev +20.1%

Franziskaner is my go-to. What a really flavorful, stellar beer. It's like something out of the Middle Ages, and that is a good thing. I feel like a Gregorian monk when I drink this stuff.

Draught poured into a Franziskaner Weissbier glass:

Appearance: Deep bronze, almost light honey colored, with a pristine, beautiful shade of Germanic awesome. An off-white head that is less than a finger's width, quickly receding into lacey edges on the glass like a Byzantine tapestry.

Aroma: Faint, bitter sweet, slightly citrus undertones -- not overpowering. It is very inviting.

Taste: A rich wheat with a fruity aftertaste, no maltiness and ever so slightly hoppy. It lures you in with its deeply embedded, earthly goodness.

Mouthfeel: Slightly oily on the tongue, but rolls off nicely, with some biting carbonation.

Overall: I fell in love with this stuff the moment I tasted it. Friar Tuck would drown himself in this heavenly beer. It's really, really one of the finer brews out there. Get it on draught if you can.

4.89/5  rDev +20.1%

On tap at an Oktoberfest event in Dover, NJ on 9/17...

The only weissbier available at the festival... and what a smash it was. It poured a cloudy, honey gold that supported a soapy, inch thick head... even in a plastic cup this was nice looking.

Big, pronounced aromas of banana, bubblegum, and clove wafted from the beer, smelling fresher and better than any I've ever sampled. The tastes were congruent with the massive, juicy nose, and particularly wonderful was the mildly sour, yeasty notes in the finish. So terrific and satisfying.

In the mouth, the beer rolled and foamed effortlessly and was the perfect ending to the experience. Lightweight yet medium bodied, it was amazing as an all-day quaffer for the Oktoberfest celebration.

4.88/5  rDev +19.9%

Absolutely wonderful beer! Had this ON TAP at Biergarten Haus in Washington, DC. I'm blown away. I'm a huge fan of wheat beers, and this has to be one of my all-time favorites, even more so than Sierra Nevada Kellerweis or Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen.

My impressions of a 1L mug of this beer:
-LOTS of flavor
-I enjoy the hazy look
-Very "drinkable"...the flavor was ample and didn't get old, even towards the end of the 1L

4.88/5  rDev +19.9%

This is the quintessential hefeweizen for me. If you want to know what a true hefe is, drink this beer or some weihenstephan. Yeast and wheat taste with great head retention, smooth mouthfeel, and much drinkability. Very refreshing and very tasty....

4.88/5  rDev +19.9%

Favorite beer so far! Amazing!

4.88/5  rDev +19.9%

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse pours a cloudy hazy amber with yeasty filament trails cascading down into the brew from the swirled and swished pour, from its 1 pt. .9 fl. oz. very dark brown glass bottle with an aluminum foil wrapt cap. Head of fine light tan foam went to well over three fingers, and leaving ample amounts of lace on the walls of my 24oz beer glass.

Nose is a pleasant citrus sour with hints of clove and banana. Palate is a most delightful medley of citrus sour , clove, and banana. Not to be left unmentioned, the bight of carbonation is well represented also.

In my humble opinion Ladies and Gentlemen, it just does not get much better than this. If you are a fan of German Hefe-Weisse, you can come in out of the cold and settle in with a nice glass of this World Class German Brew.

4.88/5  rDev +19.9%

I bought a 6'er of this in Venice, Italy for 3 Euro...I was in heaven...my next trip to Italy will require a much larger suitcase:) I've been drinking this for years but finally got around to reviewing this amazing creation. Milky with flecks of yeast dancing like sea-monkeys, bruised peach-golden forming a large white head atop small to medium sized bubbles. A beautiful beer. The head is of a meringue consistency, forming a peak above the rim...retention and lacing are stupendous. Carbonation is moderately strong with a soft mouthfeel and brisk medium-light body. Aroma....strong cloves, banana, yeast, brisk wheat malt, a hint of lemon, and something unique you don't find in alot of other hefe's...walnuts. Taste....bready, yeasty, delicate... the soft, smooth malts perfectly in harmony with the earthy hops and spicy fermentation. The finish is lightly tart and makes you want to have another. Exceptionally easy to drink, whether it's on a hot summer day or a cold winter night.

This is a wonderful brew...more than just a beer, it has been a reliable, steady life partner, and the best example of the style I can think of. The only way to improve this beer is to lose the green bottles. Exceptional, IMO besting all other hefe's I've had, and I've had alot of em'.

4.88/5  rDev +19.9%

This is my favorite beer so far, and I have become a huge fan of the Hefe variety largely due to this beer. I am fortunate enough to have this beer on tap locally and whenever I get this chance will order one in a frosty mug.

Great flavors that to me are a balance of bright and light. Carbonated just enough to know you're drinking a beer, but very smooth when served in a frosty mug.

4.88/5  rDev +19.9%

Pours a lovely golden orange color with a tall, beautiful creamy white head. Very crisp and refreshing citrus and malt flavors with hints of banana and clove in the aroma. A creamy mouth feel and very smooth. This beer goes down so easy, you have to watch yourself! This is a fantastic Hefe! One of the best I have ever had the pleasure to drink.

4.85/5  rDev +19.2%

Poured into a pint glass. A nice inviting golden orange, rather cloudy with an initial clumpy 2 finger head which quickly dissipates to 1/8 of an inch. Fruity citrus smell with hints of oranges, peaches, and bananas. Very little bite to the first taste, sweet citrus and light continuous carbonation throughout. Easy going down, pleasant aftertaste. Not heavy on the stomach. You could easily consume more than a sixer if you were so inclined. Relatively easy to find and not overpriced. A year-round brew for all occasions. Definitely one of my favorites.

4.85/5  rDev +19.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a small weizen glass.

Appearance: Hazy, near-opaque golden hue. Pleasant, sticky, thick white head.

Smell: classic banana and clove, maybe a bit of nutmeg. kinda reminds me of a parisian patisserie on a warm day: oh-so-fragrant, but in a very unassuming fashion

Taste: Perfect hefe-weizen. Bready, robust and chewy up-front, with a nice clove-y kick in the clean, slightly bitter finish. The flavors are not overpowering. In fact, they form some kind of synergy that creates, imho, the finest hefe-weizen available.

Mouthfeel: Assertive and thick, but one's palate is cleaned off by the impressive carbonation. This beer is, simply, refreshing.

Drinkability: Very high. Franziskaner is, for me, the quintessential hefe-weizen. All the right flavors and textures are there, and they are masterfully combined to make what could be a disturbingly heavy beer exceptionally quaffable.

4.84/5  rDev +18.9%

great hefe my second favorite beer

4.84/5  rDev +18.9%

my absolute favorite hefe, Ayinger is more celebrated, but for me Franzi, is more available and has a better price point and I feel better tasting

4.83/5  rDev +18.7%

Pours a cloudy orange with massive rocky head that dissipates slowly. Great carbonation.

Wheat malt, clove and faint banana nose.

The faint banana nose abounds in the taste. Just a great tasting Hefe.

Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp. The carbonation is a delight.

Great drinkability. I need more. When my Weihenstephaner is gone, this will be the Hefe I stock to replace it.

4.83/5  rDev +18.7%

One of my favorite beers, great for drinking in warm summer weather. Out of the bottle it pours golden with a slight haze, and a large white head. It has a slight aroma of bannana and spice. With the first sip, the tastes of bannana and wheat come out bursting onto the tongue. This brew finishes well and has minimal aftertaste. Definately one of my favorite hefe's, and one of my favorite all around brews.

4.82/5  rDev +18.4%

I'd rather give this all 5s, but is any beer perfect perfect? (except in Heaven or possibly on draft in Bavaria?). But this is one heavenly beer! (and it does have a picture of a smiling monk on the label)

This beer is to me is the hallmark of all hefe-weissens, to which all other beers should strive to be.

Pours great. Lots of carbonation and a big lacy head. Bubbles cascading up the side of the glass. Yeast rising and falling like little hot air ballon riders.

The smell is strong cloves and bananna. The sour smell tastes delicious, almost don't need to drink it, I can taste it already, but this is a beer review so I guess I'll have to drink it (twist my arm).

Oh heaven, what flavor! I don't think I ever had a beer with more flavor. A pleasent sourness blankets my tounge as the carbonated liquid flows across my palate like a cold brook (not from the Rockies). A very refeshing beer! The sourness lightly lingers in a good way. I'll go to bed tonight dreaming of bier gardens, putzfraus, and pretzles.

Great beer is easy to review. This is one of my favorite all time brews.

4.82/5  rDev +18.4%

500 ml bottle poured into a Sprecher weiss glass. No date.

A - Probably the bubbliest beer I've ever seen! Semi-hazy golden-yellow with an unstoppable, dense white three finger head that left great lacing!

S - Strong aroma of banana esters, clove, yeast, and wheat. Overflowing smells in such a great way!

T - Prominent wheat and clove/spice flavors with a muted yeasty and banana-estery deliciousness. How can a hefe-weisse get any better?

M - Slick and bubbly. Light to light-medium in body. It may be possibly over carbonated just a touch.

D - This is one hell of a beer. I could put these back all summer long! It's flavor, as amazing as it is, would be old to me after a handful making it not worthy of the 5, but needless to say, I found it to be an incredible beer.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu