Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Franziskaner Hefe-WeisseFranziskaner Hefe-Weisse

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,554 | Hads: 3,621
4.58/5  rDev +13.4%

Served in the appropriate Weizen glass.

Oh where to start with one of these.

Appearance: Its a good kind of cloudy, and a rich golden color. You can tell its different from other wheats, which I've seen as a paler form of gold with varying degrees of cloudiness. You can tell just by looking at it the level of quality it has.

Smell: Its got rich characteristics to it, but I've never taken a good whiff for the more subtle smells.

Taste: This is where it shines. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this taste; its not too much of anything, its very well balanced, nothing too strong as an aftertaste, and it stays consistently good to the last drop. A very little bit citrusy sweet, with a VERY light banana taste. If you like how wheat beer tastes, this offers the right mix of subtle but refined. I will say it does get a little more bitter near the end as it warms, but I barely noticed.

Mouthfeel: I can only describe it as "luscious and lingering". It does leave a small bit of film in the mouth, and its enjoyable.

Overall: Indeed this is the best wheat I've ever enjoyed. I only give it a 4.5 because I've yet to try the true top-ranked beers in this category, but if this is where I considered it a perfect-tasting Hefeweizen, I can only imagine what a perfect 5 beer would taste like. (1,308 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +13.4%

Had this beer in bottles and on tap in Zurich, CH. A true classic weiss beer. Pours golden color with a decent head. Crisp, light, with a spice of grain on the back end. Mouthfeel is the benchmark for Helfeweizen beers. Also, this beer is highly drinkable. You can drink this all day on a nice summer afternoon. We would have one of these at lunch and a couple more after a day on the slopes. This is *the* Hefeweizen beer, ladies and gents. If you ever get the chance, this is a shining example of beer done right. No extremes, no gimmicks, just good beer. (557 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +13.6%

I've had this affordable, drinkable delicious beer quite a few times now and I'll definitely be coming back to it. Smells and tastes a hint of banana. I love the smell. Cheap, definitely a plus but overall just great-tasting beer. Wheat beer perfected I would go so far as to say. It's important to rouse the bottle a bit because of all the yeast sediment. I could easily kick back a few any given day like I am right now (on my second.) Finally have some time off from work nothing better than drinking a beer that doesn't get you into a drunk stupor but instead maintains a decent buzz with great taste to boot. Recommended for sure, I want to try it out on tap. (664 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +13.6%

I first had Franziskaner in Darmstadt, Germany, and often look for it now that I'm back in the US. Found it at Liquor World in Milford, MA today.

Pours a huge head out of the bottle into a Hefeweizen glass.

Intense rush of wheat aroma hits you almost immediately in the glass. Not a lot of citrus in the aroma, not as much as other Hefeweizens I've had.

However, the citrus hits you pretty fast on the the palate. Great wheat taste in the back, some banana and orange up front. Aftertaste is strangely buttery to me. Fantastic drinkability, could probably do an entire session with this one. Very satisfied. (610 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look

Color: Golden color that's radiant as the sun
Clarity: Not very clear, it is like trying to look through golden clouds
Head: Little head retention and small bubble size

Smell

Aroma: Sweet with hints of cloves and bananas
Bouquet: Smells associated with hops are almost non-existent
Off Odors: None

Taste

Balance & Flavors: A little sweet. Not bitter at all
Off Flavors: None
Mouth-Feel/Body: Medium to light bodied
Tail: Clean and flavorful
Carbonation: Not too abundant.

Drinkability

I fully enjoyed this beer because of the cocktail of flavors and fruity aromas. The smell makes you want more and more and the bottle is empty before you know it. I highly recommend this beer without reservation for anyone looking for a good hefe. (746 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours cloudy yellow with minimal foam. Little lacing is evident,

Smell is classic hefe - the banana bursts out of here, there is clove and other fruit buried in the background.

Taste is wheaty, crisp, and clean. Finish is yeasty. High carb in the mouthfeel.

This is one of the best hefes I've ever had. Really tasty, highly drinkable. I had never heard of the brand when I pulled the bottle off the shelf, but I am glad I did. Well done. (441 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

1 Pint 9 Fl Oz. Bottle (Brown, gold foil) Tasted in a Edelweiss, wessbier .5 L glass. Creamy rich head, lively carbonation with a hazy orange complexion (darker than the other wheat beers). Yeasty, bread smell. Smooth mouth feel followed by a strong yeast, banana finish. Very, Very drinkable.

PS.... Did I say very drinkable. (333 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

This has a cloudy, gold-yellow appearance with a nice medium-thick white head. The smell gives off hints of the nice fruity flavor to come. In the taste battle between fruity and wheaty, fruity wins out by just a tad, and it makes for near perfection. The mouthfeel is nice and smooth. I really enjoy this beer, and the first word that comes to mind when thinking about it is refreshing. (387 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very good Hefe-Weisse. I would rank it second out of ones I've tried after the Konig-Ludwig. It has a medium body, a pleasant smell and a well rounded flavor with a slightly tangy aftertaste. (193 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

with a controled pour and swirling the bottom inch of beer from the bottle to your glass you will get a nice two finger head with a cloudy medium gold color beer. smell, coriander and ginger. taste is lemon slightly sour up front with coriander, spice, clove, finish. mouthfeel is light, crisp, clean. drinkability excellent. (325 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance - Perfect white one finger head that has great retention.

Smell - Great smell. Banana and wheat.

Taste - Definite banana and wheat. Tastes less sweet then it smells, otherwise, the characteristics are the same. No bitterness whatsoever.

Mouthfeel - Delicious creamy texture and plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability - One of the most drinkable beers of any style. Definitely a top session beer. (407 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I bought this beer at Goodies number 3 in dallas, they have a great selection and there prices are right on.

I like the taste, its somewhat in the middle of all the Weizen beir that i've tasted. Which being in the middle is good, not to filling, not to sweet, not to filling, great when your having more than one.

i would have rated it higher, but i like the dunkel better. (375 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pint on tap at The King's Head, London N8. Proper Franziskaner branded weiss glass. Classic example of the style, and in my view, second only to the Weihenstephaner. Looks gorgeous, smells lively, tastes great. Had to restrain myself from having another. (254 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +14.1%

Ahh What a beer! Poured from a bottle into tall Weizen glass. A light golden / orange cloudy appearance with a huge 2.5 inch head that clears the top edge of the glass! Smells of bananas and maybe even a little orange. Taste is superb, bananas, wheat, citrus, and perfect carbonation. A very refreshing drink to say the least. My very favorite of one of my favorite styles.

I will always be a little partial to this beer because it was my first 'true' beer and it helped begin me on my current journey toward beer aficionado. What a long strange trip I know it will be. I am off to pour another! Cheers!! (606 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +14.1%

Appearance - Wonderful pour topped with an inch and a half of frothy goodness. The body is a hazy orange. No lacing.

Smell - It has a perfect malt and slight citrus aroma. It is extremely difficult to not take a sip.

Taste - Amazing malt with subtle clove and even a hint at banana flavor. This is a great tasting beer.

Mouthfeel - The feel is a bit coarse but the texture brings out the flavor.

~ This beer really made me realize there are some great brews outside of the great state of Wisconsin. I'd happily enjoy the Hefe Weisse anytime. (546 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured out of a green bottle and into a tall franziskaner glass, till the last 1/8th and then swirled and poured the rest.
very cloudy gold/yellow wheat beer look with a large white head that stays while you drink

spicy banana smell, light hint of citrus smell, very smooth to drink, and the taste is light with no aftertaste. (328 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great Beer for a Hefeweizen, this is one of my favorite beers to drink with dinner.

Color- golden light color with fluffy head

Taste- i think it tastes like banana bread, sweet and good

Takes the stress out of your day

Overall I think this is a great beer but its pretty filling (282 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Now this is why I drink German wheats! Pours a cloudy dark golden, with an enormous head that slowly settles to a nice rim of lace. The aroma of ripe bananas or banana bread, cloves, and even a little citrus. The taste is crisp and clean with just the right amount of hops to balance it out. This is what I want on a hot summer day to quench my thirst. I had this in a 1pt, 9 fl oz bottle. It even comes with pouring instruction on the rear lable for those who don't know the proper way to pour and drink a Hefe-Weisse. (519 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Golden Cloudy like a Proper Hefe should be. Msssive Wheat Head upon pour that drops down to about 1/4 to 1/2 that remains until you finish.

Smell - Fruity with notes of Cloves, Bananna
, Hardly any Hops noticeable.

Taste - Taste Banannas up from with a Malty Clove finish. Again as in the smell very lightly Hopped.

Mouthfeel - Light and Refreshing, nice Fruity aftertaste.

Drinkability - I can drink these one right after another all day and night long. I've noticed they seem to taste better in a pint bottle or on tap instead of the 12oz bottles. Possibly because they get a small amount of light pollution in the smaller green bottles, the Pint bottles are Amber. Suggest you get the pint bottles or find it on tap at a Pour House. (753 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Before I had tried this beer (which I've had on numerous occasions, my Safeway carries it for about $2.50, score!) the only hef's I'd tried were Pyramid and Widmer. Well, as you know, those two are very tinny and lack the flavor a good hef is supposed to have. At least, that's what I'd been told. After trying Franziskaner, I know what a hef is supposed to be like.

It looks good, like a real German beer: cloudy, foamy head, hard to see through; all good things. It pours nice into a glass.

The smell: yum. I'm awful at pinpointing smells, but it is very honey-like and maybe bananas. Almost like bread pudding or something, or banana bread. Smells amazing.

Tastes great too. So drinkable and smooth. Feels light in the mouth but still with weight to it. Doesn't take like it's been sloshing around in an aluminum tub for years. Real sort of "organic" taste to it, like a beer that people have been making for years and they just have it figured out. Tastes like the aforementioned bread pudding/bananas, maybe a hint of lemon. Pound cake? Sure!

So very easy to drink. A great go-to beer, one of my favorites to just pick up on a whim. Highly recommended, especially at the price and availability. Yum. (1,209 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Franziskaner Weissbier: Outstanding! While I like to support local breweries, and very much enjoy American style wheat beers, there is just something special about a good weissbier direct from Germany. The Franziskaner has a lightly cloudy golden peach color. I did not stir up the yeast from the bottom of the bottle. A big frothy head forms on top, and lasts for the duration. Good aroma for a wheat beer, with big lemon twist notes. Very smooth going down. Lots of subtle favors, banana and orange peel most distinctive, and just the right level of sweetness. Highly recommended. (582 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +14.6%

This is currentley my favorite beer. I must admit I have a slight bias, I have it on tap at home. Golden color just like the style dictates, pinpoint carbination, banana and clove flavors, drinkability is excellent.(Too good, it's hard contain yourself when you have an unlimited supply). (288 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +14.6%

~Bottle poured into a mug (unfortunately) with a solid inch of head that faded too quickly in my opinion, but settles into a decent head. Beautiful yellow-gold, murky color.
~Smells of citris, earthy, a little yeasty perhaps, a bit of banana.
~Taste. First off, I love this beer, have for some time. So, maybe a bit biased, but who cares. And it does not fail me this time either. Wondering if this bottle isn't a little old, as its a little flat. But the taste is rock solid and well balanced. Right now its still a little cold, and comes off with a citris and wheaty front with the earthy yeast and slight banana to follow. Perhaps some clove in there too. As it warmed up and reached the bottom, it softened up and settled more into a soft citris tone, with the wheaty laying underneath, and the banana became a little more prevalent. And the last gulp, delicious.
~A little too phizzy, don't remember it being so, but went away as it warmed up. Felt good, but nothing special.
~I know i could drink this beer a whole night through. Which doesn't in and of itself make it a good beer, but paired with its deliciousness gives it a high score. (1,148 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +14.6%

Evenly clouded orange with a huge foamy head. Really attractive, just about a perfect looking hefe. Aroma is delicate and spicy. Spices are not over done at all, and blend with a light yeasty breadiness. Good hop presence throughout the flavor, though fairly mild and well-integrated into the overall flavor. Sweet bread-like malt body with hints of lemon and banana. The good carbonation of this beer lightens the body a bit and prevents the sweetness from becoming too much. Slightly dry finish, very well balanced. Eminently drinkable. (546 characters)

looks..well, orange. murky, fluffy

smells... well, wheaty and sweety!

tastes.. sublime. wheat with unripe bananas. complex refined sugars and orangey flavoring. the perfect hefe.

others have said it before. drink it.

what other hefe's can compete? what other beers can say they are top of the class? not many. this is one of them. not my favorite, but for its style. this is the one that i would pick on a desert isle with my favorite JEFE. (453 characters)

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu