Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,552 | Hads: 3,597
3.13/5  rDev -22.5%

This beer had a nice cloudy orange hue. Looks very refreshing. Ocean like lace. The smell is somewhat of a sourdough bready smell. Faint hop aroma as well. Very hoppy and almost pepperminty taste. Leaves a toothpaste aftertaste. The mouthfeel is very refreshing. Definately a decent german beer. Try saying the name of this beer after a couple. Got a free glass with my purchase. (379 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -21.8%

Bottle. Pours to a slightly hazy, gold color, with medium white head. Good appearance and aroma. Spicy start, but tasted flat at mid glass. Short, watery finish. Not bad for a hefe-weisse, which is not my favorite style. Although I have a feeling my wifre would enjoy this one more than I. (289 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -21.5%

A: Dull rusty orange with greenish characteristic, not so beautiful in color, but very nice fluffy head.
S: Sweet banana, sweet bread/yeast, grapefruit.
T: Tart, bitter, slightly grapefruity yeast. Sour. Slightly creamy. Slightly astringent, planty aftertaste. Watery.
M: Mildly astringent, smoothish.
O: Ok, but extremely overrated. The flavor just isn't there. (364 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -21.3%

16.9 oz. bottle

Pours a hazy straw color with a fluffy white head that maintains. Thick lacing around the glass.

Light bready aroma with some nice fruity tones. Very subdued aroma.

Nice fruity and bready flavor upfront, just as you would expect with a hefe. But, it finishes quite bland and uninspiring.

Ample carbonation, but body seems otherwise thin.

Pretty easy to drink, just no desire to drink anymore than one. A bit disappointing. (453 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured, swirled, poured.

Hazy wheat color, White head that is small and has minimal lacing. Aroma of wheat malt, some banana and clove notes, a bit metallic.

Taste has the same metallic note, the banana and clove are present with a nice earthy wheat flavor.

Light bodied, decent feel. Could be a session beer for a day but I'm not crazy about the metal.

Average I guess. I'm not a big experienced drinker of the style, but this is not a beer I would run back to. (466 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Saw this for about $3 in a 1 Pt. 9 oz. foil-topped bottle. Had to go for it..

Hazy golden to amber sunburst in color, with a nice fluffy head that doesn't seem to stand a chance because when I looked back, it was gone.

Smell is a strong banana smell with notes of wheat and yeast.

My first sip was a mimick of the banana, yeast and wheat notes that that nose had prepared me for. Very banana-y... and its nice.

Mouthfeel is utterly delightful. I can't put my tongue (haha, no pun... well, maybe a little bit) on it but its simply a DELIGHTFUL mouthfeel.

Drinkability, while I'm not the biggest fan of this style, is pretty average. I think it is a good brew to help people who don't care much for the style to begin experimentation in, but still a selective taste for those who aren't into the hefes. (816 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -20.5%

This was my first beer of the wheat variety. I think maybe I should have chosen a wheat with no yeast before I tried this style. It poured out looking like a monster of a beer with big white head. While the beer was super creamy I felt like it was just a little slimy and kept reminding me of egg yolks. Not a very hoppy beer, but it had enough to keep it from tasting flat. After drinking the rest of the six pack I came to the conclusion that I didn't feel like it was a bad beer, just not a style that I was used to and maybe I would like it better with more experience. (573 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -20.5%

Appearance- Very bright yellow color. Lots of active carbonation and not a great deal of head.

Smell- Not a lot going on here, maybe the beer is just too cold but there doesnt seem to be a great deal of nose at all.

Taste- Very creamy like I would expect from a hefewissen, not anywhere near as fruity as I would expect, in fact its almost sour.

Mouthfeel- Good creaminess, above average for sure.

Drinkability- Not too bad but not one of the better hefeweissens I have had. (478 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -20%

This hefe-weisse bier pours your typical cloudy yellow with a thick white head. The head gives away to a decent lace. The aroma is more yeast and cloves. A very faint banana smell is also included. The taste is typical, nothing special, a wheat/malt flavor with the yeast tones involved. Very drinkable, overall an nice average beer of this style (346 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -20%

Bottle from Thrifty Beverage Chester, NY.

Poured into a Pilsner glass. Very murky gold color. One finger head, minor lacing. A yeasty smell, slightly earthy.

Taste is a bit doughy and a little sour for my taste. Not bad, just not my particular taste. As such, it is a little less drinkable than others in the category in my opinion. (334 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -20%

12oz bottle into a weizen glass.

Pours a hazy brownish orange with a one finger head. Pretty poor head retention and lacing.

Smell is quite yeasty with loads of clove coming through along with a light musty odor. A small amount of bubblegum and orange too.

Taste has a lot of bubblegum and clove but not a whole lot of orange. A definite yeasty quality is there but nothing is present in large amounts. Honesty it taste really watered down. Mouthfeel is extremely watery.

Overall I was a little disappointed by this beer. I'm not sure how fresh it was but I have had much better hefe's. Might have to revisit it sometime. (625 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -19.6%

This beer poured a hazy golden color with a thick head. The beer smelled mostly of citrus and banana. The taste was of bananas with a spicy finish. It has a mostly smooth and creamy feel but the carbonation is a bit heavy. I could drink this again, nice beer to have on a hot day. (280 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -19.6%

I poured this baby beer into a glass from a bottle and immediately the head erupted into a billowy, pillow-y cloudy cushion of heaven. The body was a nice semi-transparent cloudy golden wheat color.

A strong smell of sweet citrus, cloves and wheat is inhaled as I lean closer.

Cloves, cloves, cloves from the front to the back. Equal strength taste of wheat. Spicy and sweet.

My tongue and throat tingle from all the carbonation. It's too much for me. I get a phlegm-y build up(from yeast? or wheat?) as if drinking a large glass of chocolate milk or some soda with fructose corn syrup. I'm not saying this is an ingredient, I may just be prone to this condition.

Heavy beer. Feels like a loaf of bread sitting in my stomach. I can drink a few of these, but then I'm done. Because I'm just full. I envy you if you enjoy this beer more than me. I think there are many better beers out there. (894 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours a nice gold straw with a slight wheat murkiness. Decent 1 inch cap forms quickly. Nothing negative so far, except that it usually leaves better lace on the glass. The nose is standard hefe-weisse --wheat, yeast, malt, fruit essences like banana and orange-coriander too.

I have to say right off that I have had this same beer in this same downtown Boston pub and it has tasted better than it did tonight. Taste is fairly standard for the style: nice malt and yeast. Fruity orange and coriander with some clove like elements. Lacking the freshness it has had on other occasions. Maybe its just the end of the Summer and the hefe-weisses are not as good (or fresh) now.

Mouthfeel is smooth and fruity..nothing negative.
Drinkability is another area where this beer can be exceptional but wasn't tonight. I hardly finished one and my associate didn't finish theirs. (877 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -19.6%

Review according BJCP2008 (style 15A). Bottle 50cl - Batch L013436. AROMA: slight banana aroma with a wheat background. no hop aroma. APPEARANCE: gold color with an abundant and moussy white head, with good retention. traditionaly hazy. TASTE: low banana flavour balanced with wheat. very low hop flavour and bitterness. some citrusy notes. relatively dry finish. PALATE: medium body and always effeverscent. OVERALL: a very refreshing average bulk weissbier. (460 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -19.3%

Opened 16.9oz Bottle and poured into Weizen glass.

Nice foamy head of 2", subsided to head of 3/4". Color is light amber, very hazy.

Smell is wheaty/malty. Taste is malty but dry, with hints of citrus and light spice. A little wheat on finish. Not a bad brew. Nice flavor.

All and all, a decent beer. (304 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured a pale orange with a fine-grained white head. Strong -- almost pungent -- aroma of cloves and raisins. Later this gave way to coriander and orange after the head collapsed a bit. Taste is a bit harsh with carbonation up front, then a bittersweet pang of orange and a surprisingly bitter finish for a Hefe. (312 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -18.8%

poured out a nice hazy golden yellow color.
the head was a nice 1 inch and fairly creamy in appearance.
quite nice to look at
smell - clove, and some fruitiness and wheaty
taste, this one hit big with a clove up front then finished off with some light fruitiness, not overly balanced in my opinion. The clove to me was not very refreshing as a hefe would tend to be with more sweetness..
mouthfeel was carbonation and the head seemed more fizzy then creamy in the mouth
all in all it was a decent beer, but I was not blown away based on what I expected. I tried it once by floating a small lemon slice, it was better in my opinion, becasue that helped to ward off the big clove flavor. (691 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -18.8%

Bottle Inspection: Green 12 oz. bottle, no useful information at all, not even a marketing blurb.

Aroma: Yeasty, some light pepper noted, soft grain background

Appearance: Hazy dirty blond glass sports a respectable finger of bright white head that gives a fair coat of lace.

Flavor: Fruit flavors come out in the taste, classic banana and light ripe fruit esters with hints of clove.

Mouthfeel: Lively carbonation on the edge of fizzy, medium bodied, slowly fading finish

Overall Impression: Put it back to back with a Hacker-Pschorr Hefe, this seems a bit heavier and subdued. Still, shows all the classic characteristics of a Hefe. Not as much of a thirst quencher here, a bit more of a meal. Still, enjoyable. (729 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -18.6%

Appearance: Golden orange with good head. Clearer than most hefeweizens I've seen. Lots of carbonation.

Smell: The scent is only OK. I smell some fruits and a lot of metallic smell.

Taste: I taste peach and bananas when I drink this. I was expecting something very different after smelling this beer. This definitely caught me by surprise.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, good carbonation. Kind of reminds me of juice.

Drinkability: Probably a good session beer. I couldn't honestly say. It's good, but it's just so different. I don't know if I could keep drinking it. It's probably better for a good change of pace. (614 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On tap, poured into a shaker. The aroma is a bright, creamy banana and vanilla with undertones of clove and a light bread crust. The beer is a murky, unfiltered, orange yellow color with a dense white fluff head that has a moderate retention and only a touch of lace (of course a shaker isn't really the appropriate glass). The taste is a medium, savory sweet with a light lemon bitter. The creamy beer goes down smooth with a fizzy light body that has a strong Nila wafer flavor with a clove finish as well as some bread. The aftertaste is mild, but long, and cloying with a light bitterness and bread crust feel. (614 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured this beer into an oversized wine glass. The color was a very dark brown. The head was tan and creamy. It also lasted for a while. It smelled of fruit, maybe banana, but im not sure. Lots of caramel and dark fruit. Real good flavor and good mouthfeel. Somewhat spicy. I recommend this brew (297 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -18.1%

Appearance - Pale amber in color, different from what I'm used to seeing with Hefe's. Huge fluffy head forms upon initial pour. Had to watch when I poured this otherwise I would have made a mess. Dies to a thin ring after a few minutes with a small carbonation for support. Slightly hazy.

Smell - Mild aroma, nothing that initially jumps out at you. A bit of banana/ester but not very big. A bit of a fruity nose with the yeast bringing a bit to the party as well. Overall however, I really had to reach for these.

Taste - A bready spice presence with an ample clove taste as well. Not overpowering, just "there". I caramel/malt presence is the main attraction here. A bit of a citrus/lemon taste as well, from the aroma hops. Not an overpowering hop presence (thankfully).

Mouthfeel - I'd say a medium mouthfeel here a bit on the thin side on the finish, but this is a Hefe, not a Barleywine, so keep that in mind. The ample carbonation present in head formation helps with the transport here as well, during the entry and middle periods.

Drinkability - I was a bit put-off by the strong caramel presence in this Hefe, but overall not enough to ignore when offered. A nice drinker. (1,188 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -18.1%

A nice murky, funky and sweet tasting brew; The smell was kinda odd.Very European flavor , but I really don't know what to compare it to. Overall a pretty unique beer. The head was pretty thick, so I recommend using the largest beer glass you own. I don't know if it comes in packs. I have only seen them in the 16.9 ounce bottles. (331 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a Papa John's garlic sauce color. Actually looks quite good, with a light orange haze with good carbination The head is slighty off white that doesn't last all that long. The initial nose hits you with bananas, coriander, and cheerios. The taste has quite a bit of orange peel that the bitter has been masked by the heavy carbination, followed by some sweet cloves lamented in residual sugar. The yeast really only hits you mid-palate that comes halfway through a glass, and yet is fairly subtle. I'd prefer to see more background and less blatant coriander domination. Overall, typical but theres better for relatively the same price. PS- when you burp coriander, doesn't that just piss you off? (702 characters)

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu