Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Franziskaner Hefe-WeisseFranziskaner Hefe-Weisse

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,557 | Hads: 3,654
4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a hazy orange color, topped by a thick off white head. Aromas of clove, banana, and citrus waft from my glass. The taste is tar, acidic, and it has a soft banana finish. This beer is well carbonated, which contributes to a tingly sharp sensation in my mouth. This is quite good, and quite refreshing. Certainly not the most complex, but it is quite tasty and hits the spot perfectly on a warm day spent outside brewing beer. Quite fruity, with a bit of sweetness. This beer is light bodied, which helps it to go down easily. This is as good as it gets for warm weather/ in the sun drinking; smooth and thirst quenching.

4.24/5  rDev +5%

Appearance - The appearance is great for this wheat. There is a golden creamy look with alot of thick sedaments.

Smell - Where to start? The smell has a great citrus/banana smell to it that captions your nose the second you pour into a glass. Very satisfied with the smell.

Taste - The taste is very good. The smell and taste together make this an exceptional beer to drink.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is very crisp and clean. It hits every part of your mouth in full effect.

Drinkability - The drinkability is up there with an wheat beer. I would be able to drink a few of these beers.

Overall I'm very satisfied with this wheat beer.

2.61/5  rDev -35.4%

The Hefe-Weisse poured a delightfully creamy gold it had a thin head that quickly dissipated. It's smell was of malt and grain with hints of citrus. The taste was malty with no hops and a distinct aftertaste of sorghum (or other big grasses). The feel was oily and foamy.

This beer started off very promisingly with that beautiful creamy glass, the smell dropped off a bit, and the taste fell off the table. I had recently had the Hefe-Weisse Dunkel and found it to be an interesting beer, but not one i would buy regularly. I bought the blonde to see if it would be a better match for me, as I prefer the lighter beers. I could probably learn to live with the first half of the taste, but the second half is very unenjoyable. All I could think about was cutting Johnson Grass on a hot day. So I'll move on and find a better match somewhere else.

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a cloudy pale gold with a fluffy white head. The explosive head gives way to impressive sheets of lace.

There is a citrusy character in the nose with a hint of banana and clove. This is a pleasantly sweet and spicy aromatic brew.

The taste isn't up to the aroma and lacks the character of the nose. There is a light lemon flavor with a bit of a wheat foundation that is mildly sweet. I wish it had a little more taste. Despite that, it's still pretty good.

This thin bodied beer is very refreshing to consume. There is crisp dry quality that makes this a refreshing beer to drink.

This is a good beer that only lacks a depth of flavor to make it a little better. I could see myself enjoying a few of these on the patio this summer.

3.78/5  rDev -6.4%

Beautiful appearance..the entire pint 9 oz. bottle of cloudy orange brew fits just perfectly in my wheat beer glass. Love when that happens. Starts with an enormous bright white head the slowly recedes but still leaves a thin lace atop. Clove and crisp hops are present in the nose, as is a sour lemon twang.

I have to say, after this visual and olfactory appeal, I was a bit let down by the lack of complexity in the flavor. There are some mild citrus, tangerine and orange flavors to accompany the wheat backbone. Acidic hoppiness as well to complement the crisp, fizzy mouthfeel. A pretty good hefe, but I think my expectations may have been a bit too high. I thought this would be right on par with Paulaner's hefe. Still, a good beer that's worth drinking.

3.88/5  rDev -4%

Sets the standard for Heffe-wiessen beer. Banana and clove nose, banana and clove flavors. big-big head, cloudy melon yellow ale with ample white foamy head. Somewhat more sweeter than others in the style.

A little comment about the name--Abbey beers are associated with orders of monks (Trappists, Augustian, Benidectines, etc.). The Franciscans, along with the Carmelites and Dominicains, are friars. Abbeys are not generally associated with these guys. Not sure if the name was an accident, or the brewer was trying to make a point of the differences between this product and abbey beers.

3.69/5  rDev -8.7%

1Pt 9oz Bottle with Gold annoying foil.

Apperance: Ivory white head that lookslike whiped cream, last a while and stays frothy. Peachy, apricot in color. Head lasted for the whole drink.

Nose: Wheaty, chlorine, lemon, white bread.

Taste: Crispy, thick on the middle of the tounge, lightly bitter lemon, foamy all the way down, has a little taste of asprin.

Notes: A nice and light german beer. Leaves your mouth looking for something more, but a great starter for the party.

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Larger bottle with golden foil at top. A classic. Cloves, bananas, and yeast spice the nose. A large frothy head. straw color and, of course, cloudy. Crisp and light. a great quencher. Goes great with salads, fish, anything light, also great with spicy food. Thai, mexican, south west etc.

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

Appearance: Holy giant head! I poured a quarter of the bottle into a 23oz glass and the head foamed up to the top. I suppose I could have kept it under control if I was paying more attention.

Taste: Very flavorful. Upfront is a taste of spice simliar to that of a triple, followed by the breadiness of the wheat. The aftertaste is the only part that I didn't care for all that much.

Mouthfeel: Sometimes the way a beer feels in your mouth compliments the taste. This is not one of those times. Mouthfeel is unimpressive and might have turned me off from the beer if not for the taste.

Drinkability: Relatively good for one beer, but I don't think I would drink these in succession.

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Ahhh those crazy monks! This hefeweisse pours a very pretty, cloudy yellow (don't forget that yeast at the bottom of the bottle!) with a good-sized head (that disappeared rather quickly).

The smell is the typical wheat, banana scent that I expected from this style of beer. The taste is also excellent - nothing unexpected, but it fits together quite well. There's wheat, banana and cloves, with a slighy estery bubblegum flavor that I sometimes notice. It's not too thin, which I sometimes dislike about such thirst-quenching wheet beers. And very easy to drink.

3.39/5  rDev -16.1%

This beer poured a huge fluffy white head that lasted till the last pull. The color was a light cloudy gold. The smell was yeasty with a slight hop smell. The tatse was also yeasty with a very refershing lightness to the body. I really enjoyed this brew and will be buying more of them in the future.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

I take a look, darkish golden with a bit of cloudiness.

Then the smell, nice some vanilla, oak, sweet malt, and banana.

First taste gives that bananas and spice Hefe-Weisse taste, better than most. I have tasted better but not in a while. The nice maltiness is there.

I can't really find any warts on this one, no real flaw to point out.

If I had to ask for a change to this it could be a bit thicker in the mouth like a Spaten Optimator.

This was a good beer, it was good looking in the glass, hazy and thick puffy head. It smelled good too, yeasty and light - almost like grapefruit. The beer tasted good - it was refreshing, quaffable and had the flavor of yeast and a tart, dry, crisp malt. It finished dry and mae me want another sip. This was a beer that went down nice and could be consumed one after another. It is not over the top n any area, well balanced and quite tasty. Also at $1.99 per bomber, quite affordable

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

The carbonation is through the roof. A fairly gentle pour produced a big glass of bright white foam. The lace is more a thick coating. The beer is hazy and golden colored. The aroma is mild, a bit of clove and banana along with a little tangy lemon. The body is on the light side and the carbonation makes for a tingly mouthfeel. A mild doughy banana flavor is accented by faint spice and summer flowers (the yellow ones). Mild yet flavorful, and well balanced to boot.

3.92/5  rDev -3%

Presentation: 12oz. green bottle; no "bottled on" or "best before" dating; no ABV %; purchased as a "busted" single from Trader Joe's for $1.00.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, nectarine-tinged gold bespeckled with chunks of congealed yeast; monstrous, nine-fingered head; stellar head retention; foamy, indelicate lacing.

Aroma: Largely of bananas, yeast, cloves and wheat malt... and nicely so.

Taste: Decidedly like its nose; faintly sweet with thick notes of bananas and wheat malt; clear hints of clove, bubble gum, yeast and grain round things out; faint, soapy bitterness peaks its head out in the finish; body comes across a tad watery; dull, undercarbonated mouthfeel for the style.

Notes: Pretty good hefeweizen, even if mouthfeel is a bit of a detraction.

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%

This Hefe threatened to overrun my large German-styled Wiessbier glass; the head was initially a gigantic and billowing monster that a king like Gargantua would have enjoyed. However, after a few minutes the hyperactive head calmed itself and settled into a steady centimetre and a half ring with moderate lacing. The colour is a not overly attractive, but, as I understand, not having a lot of experience with Hefes, to be in keeping with the style. The first time I tried this beer I was slightly alarmed by the presence of yeast at the bottom of my glass (but that didn't stop me, of course, from finishing it) but have since learned that hefe is supposed to be there. Moderately sweet, fruity, and yeasty. Are those bananas I smell? There is definitely a lot going on here. A mild and pleasantly fruity aftertaste. Taste improves as the beer begins to warm. This is a very smooth and agreeable drink and I will be sure to have a few more of these.

3800 Korean Won for green 330ml bottle.

4.34/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Draught @ Papago
I believe that this is the best time of year for us “Beer Lovers”, well at least for this “Beer Fanatic”! The fall beers are coming out, Oktoberfest celebrations all over the place, and all these fine German beers I cherish so much in bottles magically appear on tap.

This marvel of the brewer’s art pours a deeply chill hazed golden amber with a nifty somewhat creamy head that is white in color, the lace a satin sheet on the glass. Nose is lemon like and crisp, hints of wheat; coriander with a smooth freshness that just over whelms the senses, start is semi-sweet, with a splendid wheat and malt profile that leads to the moderate top. Finish is deliciously hopped, delicately acidic, and pleasingly dry and one fine beer in my humble opinion.

3.63/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured a funny color, looking like a candy imitation of the yellow of a banana, highly hazy, and giving off an orange tone. Had a small thin head of soupy foam, but lots of lace, thin but full coming down the glass.

Smelled of banana but no cloves, softly so, with the mild lactic presence of a fresh peeled banana. Small sweet presence, too, easy and quite rounded but not stunning. Tending to fade, it also had sour, grainy, and firm wheat notes that were present but minimal. Taste was soft and calm, of a very mild banana scent dominating a thin wheat palette. Its wheat body lacked a sturdy firmness but had character enough. Nice sour turn at the end, an easy and mild sour.

A very tasty session hefe, with a smooth session mouthfeel. Not the greatest but solid.

3.06/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured a hazy gold color with a big white head that left sheets of lacing dripping down the glass. The odor was odd. Fruity, floral odors are there, but they share space with a sickly sweet smell that while not truly nasty, I nevertheless found a little bit disagreeable. The taste was primarily citrusy, with a little bit of spiciness in the background, along with that cloying sweetness I detected in the smell. The mouthfeel, without being too thick, has a slightly pulpy texture to it. This wasn't a bad beer, but I think it could have been better.

3.88/5  rDev -4%

A good looking cloudy yellow body crowned with a very thick and voluminous white head greeted me and agreed to lace the glass whilst I drank it. A good flavor that is surprisingly light on clovish spicing this brew had more of a pulpy fruit sense. The aroma was quite light but hinted of grain notes with a small sense earthiness and even smaller sense of spice. A nice crisp finish capped the good drinking experience of this beer.

4.12/5  rDev +2%

Funny story about Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse...

Roundabouts the the day I turned 21, a couple friends and I went to this Japanese steakhouse where they grill the food right in front of you on this big 10 square foot skillet (where, incidentally, we had Asahi and Sapporo... whoopdy doo). As if we didn't spend enough mulah on this unbelievably overpriced dinner where the supposedly masterful chef was unable to flip a shrimp tail into his hat even after several attempts, we decided to have a quiet little "German beer night" afterwards. None of us knew a lick about beer at the time, but we went to a local beer store right over the NY border and tried to make a night out of it. One of my buddies grabbed Warsteiner Dark, the other, Löwenbräu. Five minutes before closing time, they shut the lights out on me and I was forced to arbitrarily grab whatever German beer I could find. I saw that fat, smiling monk holding his flagon of ale and couldn't resist. Franziskaner it was!

When we got home, we tried the Warsteiner. Pretty good. The Lowenbrau was your typical German lager, complete with what American beer drinkers would call the 'skunked' taste. Then came the Franziskaner. The bloody f**kin Franziskaner.

Initially I said it tasted like cloves. Neither of my friends particularly enjoyed it, but I found it to be particularly repulsive. "Why, oh why," I asked, "would they make a beer that tastes like cloves?"

"Just drink it, you pussy," reasoned one of my friends. "You paid eight bucks for it."

So I drank it, painfully. For weeks it existed in my mind as the most repulsive beer I've ever tried.

But then I tried more beers and more importantly, more wheats and hefe-weisse's. Over time, I realized I had to try Franziskaner again. When I finally did, I was moderately surprised. It turned out to be a great beer, but by that time, it was pretty much what I expected.

Nowadays, I can see why the monk is so happy. If I was drinking Franziskaner all the time, I suppose I'd be happy too.

But I wouldn't necessarily be jubilant.

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

The beer that changed me forever. Before I had my first Franziskaner it was only Macro beers for me. I just learned today that Interbrew is buying Spaten-Franziskaner so on this very sad day I thought I should review one of the best.

This beer pours the classic hefeweizen yellow hazy like fog rolling into the shores. It has a very nice pillow like white head that just fills the glass perfectly. The smell is beautiful of banana, cloves, and yeast. The taste is great of fresh bread with a little citrus flavor to back it up. Nice blend of spice and citrus go together so well. I could drink this beer all day. I have had this beer in Germany and in the States and while I would say I liked it better in Germany it could just be the location. But in either location a must try for anybody who likes hefeweizens.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Pours a cloudy, yellow colour with a decent head. Smells almost sweet and fruity. Moderate, even lacing with a mildly spicy taste. (Cinnamon and cloves and such). Very good brew. Finishes with a little more spice than noticeable in initiale taste. Not quite as heavy as alot of other European beers, and quite easy to drink. I will most certainly purchase this one again.

3.8/5  rDev -5.9%

A big, white, foamy head. Auspicious beginnings. Nice, cloudy yellow/orange beer. The universe is in order. Thin, spotty lacing. Wow. Major spice in the nose. Sweet fruit that's not quite bananas detracts from the bananas. Spice and fruit from the front linger through the buttery, tangy middle to a dry, citrus, butter finish. Not overly sweet. Good. This is a decent hefe.

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

pours out an cloudy orangeish/gold colour with a one inch white rocky head the has no intention of dying down anytime soon. the lacing is heavy and thick on my glass. banana bread and smoky cloves greet my nose...just the aroma i wanted to smell! a lemon citrus twang also wafts up from the glass...smells delicious. the taste is typical german hefe fare, with the typical clove and banana notes leaning on the earthy and smoky side. a creamy mouthfeel and an unusual twist of a dry finish leave one longing for another swallow. this is a highly drinkable and extremely quaffable german hefe-weizen. i'm as happy as the monk on the label drinking this fine brew. it's just what i needed on this hot, dry, windy late summer day in the red river valley. a thirst quenching delight!

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu