Spaten Dunkel - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

good

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2009)
View: Beers (17) |  Events

04-21-2014 21:00:44 | More by Pmorel
JerUrbans

Wisconsin

3.26/5  rDev -11.2%

Pours a clear dark amber, with a thin white head.

Smell is toasted malt and a little chocolate,

Taste is a light dark beer. Very clean, slight soapy taste at the end.

Mouthfeel is smooth, light, crisp and very dry.

Overall, a couple buddies, a case of this, some Tuscon sun...Mexican cook out...Heaven to me. Great beer to pair with Mexican, or spicy chicken wings.

04-19-2014 02:38:28 | More by JerUrbans

Alabama

03-12-2014 16:06:26 | More by Brinks
Zetcha7x

3.14/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Here we go...My first BA review.

Single purchased from Wegman's in a Mix-A-6 Pack or whatever they call it. Poured into a standard pint glass.

A- amber/brownish pour that produced a finger of light tan head and quickly died down. Minimal lacing. Pretty standard from the other Dunkels I have seen.

S- brown sugar, toffee, some dark fruits

T- sweet malts, zero bitterness, dark fruits

M- light bodied, little carbonation, smooth

O- not a style that I have had a lot of, but I expected more roasted malt flavors. Very drinkable, smooth and clean. Definitely could put a few down...if someone else made the purchase. Not a bad beer, but nothing I would go out of my way to purchase.

03-11-2014 02:13:22 | More by Zetcha7x
thebigredone

Wisconsin

03-09-2014 17:06:06 | More by thebigredone
DrunkenMonk

03-06-2014 07:11:09 | More by DrunkenMonk
StoutHunter

3.34/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Spaten-Franziskaner-Brau's Spaten Dunkel a couple weeks ago for $2.99 at The Bavarian Inn. My buddy @Mottozappa helped re-spark an interest in Dunkel's and Dark Lager's and since I've never had this one before I thought I would give it a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a green 11.2oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's got a pretty simple and clean design, but it isn't too eye catching. It poured a fairly clear amber brown color that took on more of a dark ruby and crimson color when held to the light with two fingers of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of spotting lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, it looked fairly true to style.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness that has a slight brown sugar like aroma to it and it's followed by a the malts being the first to show up and they impart a slightly grainy, brown bread, bread crust, toasted, caramel and toffee like aromas with no single aspect seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some dark fruit aromas with a light doughy yeast aroma with an equally light nutty aroma. This beer has a nice aroma, but I wish there was some roasted malt aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma and they are followed by the dark fruits that show up even more then they did in the aroma and it seem to stick out the most in this beer. Up the finish there's a light nutty flavor followed by pretty much no bitterness and a dark fruit, sweet malt and toasted malt like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but I want more roast and less dark fruit flavors in my Dunkel's.

M- Smooth, clean, a little crisp, light bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a decent example of a Dunkel, but I tend to like my Dunkel to have a more noticeable roasted malt aspects and with this beer it was the dark fruits that seemed to stick out the most and that's not really what I'm looking for in a good Dunkel. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, clean, a little crisp and not filling at all, but the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention and one would be enough for me, but if I wasn't worried about taste I'm sure I could drink more than a few of these. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was nice and it worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was that it wasn't as true to style as I would like and it didn't seem as balanced as some of the better Dunkels. I wouldn't buy a bottle of this again, but I would for sure try it on tap to see if it's any different and I wouldn't recommend this one as a good Dunkel. All in all I was little let down with this one, I was expecting a pretty good Dunkel, but this one didn't live up to my expectations and so far it's my least favorite Spaten beer, better luck next time guys, this one just wasn't for me.

03-06-2014 04:40:27 | More by StoutHunter