Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

good

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 09-04-2001)
View: Beers (17) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen Alström Bros
geliebter2

aprilianewman

Maryland

12-15-2011 15:18:40 | More by aprilianewman
bbluemzbeer

Appearance : A amber color shines brilliantly as a steady stream of carbonation rises to the slightly off-white head.

Smell - Delicious malts are abundant in the rich aroma; toasted bread with biscuit undertones. It has a moderate sulfur character.

Taste - Is a pure malt pleasure that's toasty, but lightly and very well balanced.

Mouthful - Medium-bodied, it starts sweet and fuller but finishes light and refreshing with a good crispness to it.

Overall- Brewed perfectly for what it's meant for; sheer drinkability. Excellent. Can drink these all night. A solid brew, in a great season.

This is a world-class beer that's incredibly well done and as close to the epitome of an oktoberfest as possible. A malt-lover's dream, this is devoid of hop flavor and bitterness, letting the deep maltiness really shine.

06-28-2013 16:16:09 | More by bbluemzbeer

12-01-2012 00:22:18 | More by brandonandress
Ikorus

01-11-2013 04:19:53 | More by Ikorus
Schneidermeister

I am well aware I have given this brew the highest ratings I can. If it were possible, I would rate it better than perfect. This authentically styled German Marzenbier is perfect in every way to me. It is one of the select few brews served at the authentic Oktoberfest in Munich, Bavaria, in which the beer served is regulated by location. Only a select few breweries in the city limits of Munich are allowed to serve beer there, and the brews must conform to the age old standard of Reinheitsgebot, or Bavarian Purity Law; very regimented brewing standards set in Bavaria back in the 16th century to conserve wheat and rye for food. This is also a festive seasonal beer, unique in type and in everything else. Marzen is traditionally served only in the fall. Marzen is German for "March," which is when this beer is brewed, and you can tell that this brew is done slow, and done right. The brew is left to ferment and age over the entire summer, and is to be served only during Oktoberfest, when the farmer's toil in the fields is finally paying off, and food is in abundance.

Let's get to the brew. To begin, it is best served ice cold, in a big glass. You want this glass clear as so that your eyes may feast upon the beautiful ruby-bronze hue of this crystal clear brew. The head is a pleasing off-white creamy color, and the lacing is rather sparse, but sticky. Already there's evidence of lots of caramel hops, and just a hint of sugar. The head is thick and creamy and when poured properly, leaves a nice little dome on the rim of your glass. The aroma is absolutely divine. Fresh baked, yeasty bread, and loads of malt, with just the slightest hint of campfire, and a subtle floral note to boot. The hops scent is almost nonexistent, but it will become prevalent with the taste. Oh, the taste. This beer tastes like a properly made, refreshing and satisfying lager. You can almost taste the crisp, early spring air rushing through the Bavarian countryside. The snow is melting, the trees are budding, and life has come back to the home of the world's best beers. It's going to be a good year. The brew ages and ferments very slowly in cool, dark cellars and gains all sorts of flavors. Autumn leaves are a subtle one I taste, along with a slight hint of molasses and toasted marshmallow. The finish is nice and crisp, slightly bitter and tart, but not too hoppy. The hops takes a back seat to all the other flavors found only in Marzen, and is well balanced. Spaten makes a damn good year-round Pilsner Lager, and they love their hops like nothing else. But here, they allow the humble drinker across the Atlantic here in Central Illinois to taste the Bavarian Autumn and its festivities at their fullest, not just Bavaria's prized hops. The craftsmanship blows me away every time. Overall mouthfeel is delectable as well, as this beer is just a tad more filling than most lagers, but hey, it's Oktoberfest! Indulge!

I recommend Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Marzen to anyone who loves a satisfying, decadent beer, but isn't looking for something that's just good on its own. This is beer to be had with a feast, and with friends. Loud, boisterous laughter and hijinks will make this beer all the better. It tastes like a special occasion, so have a festival in your mouth with Oktoberfestbier, and you can bet it'll be a time with good friends you'll talk about for the rest of your life.

08-31-2012 10:23:05 | More by Schneidermeister

Big_White_Bear

07-22-2012 01:02:36 | More by Big_White_Bear
BobGlickman

Big malt & low hops

Perfect beer - for me. I love a malty taste and don't like hops much at all. Being aware that hops are all the rage right now, there aren't too many domestic beers I care for. Prior to late 2008, I thought Sam Adams Octoberfest was one of the best beers I ever tasted but in December of that year, my wife and I visited EPCOT's Germany. On tap, we were treated to Spaten Oktoberfest beer and our lives changed. A rich malty flavor with no hops bitter nastiness - pure bliss. Six months later, we made to the Yard House in Waikiki and had our first revisit with this beer. Our initial impressions were confirmed.

In late August in 2009, I had my first Sam Adams Octoberfest since trying the original. I no longer liked it as the hops aftertaste took over my palate. This was a defining moment as it perfectly demonstrated for me what I like and dislike about beer. I always stock up with 6 case in my beer cellar for the off-season and ration carefully.

09-26-2013 18:17:27 | More by BobGlickman
Boony2

11-23-2011 06:03:47 | More by Boony2
Maerzen

What can I say? I love this beer. Had to stop at Schnitzelhaus yesterday for dinner on the way home from The City Beer Store (where I didn't have time to taste - just bought). The menu listed "Oktoberfest beer." I asked the waiter which Oktoberfest beer. The matter-of-fact reply was, "Spaten - it's the best one." My .5 liter mug was the perfect match with my "light" meal of fried ham steak, potatoes and kraut.

Appearance - Dark Amber - almost red - with nice off white head
Smell - wonderful smell of malt and sugar.
Taste - malt and hint of sweetness. Slight hint of hops at the end.
Mouthfeel - balance.
Drinkability - perfect.

This is why I had a keg of this at my wedding.

05-17-2007 17:21:28 | More by Maerzen
Spiderbeerman

11-27-2011 20:14:44 | More by Spiderbeerman
MichaelB_in_CO

4.89/5  rDev +36.2%

To me, this is *the* beer of my youth. I lived in Bamberg Germany, from 87 to 90, and this beer brings me back to sitting at a bistro on a Saturday afternoon, or swinging and swaying with the locals down in Munchen during OktoberFest.

I'm glad this beer is sold year 'round!!!

02-19-2013 01:46:03 | More by MichaelB_in_CO
americanwolfdrea

4.88/5  rDev +35.9%

It poured a gorgeous golden color. It formed a nice but small head and was crisp and refreshing. I for some reason detected a hint of citrus. it was a nice suprisingly clean finish...and was light on my palate i would most definately recommend it to anyone!!! Cheers

10-10-2007 04:48:40 | More by americanwolfdrea
B967ierhunter177

4.85/5  rDev +35.1%

Poured from bottle into glass mug a beautiful deep gold. Minimal head went away quick. A: one of the best appearing beers I've ever had. Deep gold like vanilla cream soda. S: aroma was of biscuits & caramel. T: flavor was perfect mix of caramel, malt, and hops. Very well balanced. M: smooth medium mouthfeel spread flavor to entire mouth. D: what a shame I only had one. Was the perfect pairing w/ pork & sauerkraut we had for dinner. Overall an outstanding beer, only knock was lack of head but the overall experience more than made up for it!

01-05-2010 01:24:35 | More by B967ierhunter177
godlessape

Georgia

4.78/5  rDev +33.1%

This is truly my favorite German beer. Spaten has been brewing beer since 1397. Think about that for a minute as you pour one into your favourite mug or pint glass. That's over a hundred years before Columbus discovered the Bahamas. So I think they know what they're doing and their Oktoberfest brew proves it very well.

Appearance: Dark amber with a thin head.

Smell: Roasted nutty malt, nothing exceptional.

Taste: An explosion of malty German goodness with just enough hops to balance it out. Sweet but not over the top, with a dry finish.

Mouthfeel. Silky smooth, with mild carbonation.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Das bier ist gut. And will never be a stranger to my refrigerator.

12-31-2010 04:00:04 | More by godlessape