1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-MärzenSpaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen

good

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 09-04-2001)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,835 | Reviews: 1,058 | Show All Ratings:
Maerzen

What can I say? I love this beer. Had to stop at Schnitzelhaus yesterday for dinner on the way home from The City Beer Store (where I didn't have time to taste - just bought). The menu listed "Oktoberfest beer." I asked the waiter which Oktoberfest beer. The matter-of-fact reply was, "Spaten - it's the best one." My .5 liter mug was the perfect match with my "light" meal of fried ham steak, potatoes and kraut.

Appearance - Dark Amber - almost red - with nice off white head
Smell - wonderful smell of malt and sugar.
Taste - malt and hint of sweetness. Slight hint of hops at the end.
Mouthfeel - balance.
Drinkability - perfect.

This is why I had a keg of this at my wedding.

05-17-2007 17:21:28 | More by Maerzen
Schneidermeister

I am well aware I have given this brew the highest ratings I can. If it were possible, I would rate it better than perfect. This authentically styled German Marzenbier is perfect in every way to me. It is one of the select few brews served at the authentic Oktoberfest in Munich, Bavaria, in which the beer served is regulated by location. Only a select few breweries in the city limits of Munich are allowed to serve beer there, and the brews must conform to the age old standard of Reinheitsgebot, or Bavarian Purity Law; very regimented brewing standards set in Bavaria back in the 16th century to conserve wheat and rye for food. This is also a festive seasonal beer, unique in type and in everything else. Marzen is traditionally served only in the fall. Marzen is German for "March," which is when this beer is brewed, and you can tell that this brew is done slow, and done right. The brew is left to ferment and age over the entire summer, and is to be served only during Oktoberfest, when the farmer's toil in the fields is finally paying off, and food is in abundance.

Let's get to the brew. To begin, it is best served ice cold, in a big glass. You want this glass clear as so that your eyes may feast upon the beautiful ruby-bronze hue of this crystal clear brew. The head is a pleasing off-white creamy color, and the lacing is rather sparse, but sticky. Already there's evidence of lots of caramel hops, and just a hint of sugar. The head is thick and creamy and when poured properly, leaves a nice little dome on the rim of your glass. The aroma is absolutely divine. Fresh baked, yeasty bread, and loads of malt, with just the slightest hint of campfire, and a subtle floral note to boot. The hops scent is almost nonexistent, but it will become prevalent with the taste. Oh, the taste. This beer tastes like a properly made, refreshing and satisfying lager. You can almost taste the crisp, early spring air rushing through the Bavarian countryside. The snow is melting, the trees are budding, and life has come back to the home of the world's best beers. It's going to be a good year. The brew ages and ferments very slowly in cool, dark cellars and gains all sorts of flavors. Autumn leaves are a subtle one I taste, along with a slight hint of molasses and toasted marshmallow. The finish is nice and crisp, slightly bitter and tart, but not too hoppy. The hops takes a back seat to all the other flavors found only in Marzen, and is well balanced. Spaten makes a damn good year-round Pilsner Lager, and they love their hops like nothing else. But here, they allow the humble drinker across the Atlantic here in Central Illinois to taste the Bavarian Autumn and its festivities at their fullest, not just Bavaria's prized hops. The craftsmanship blows me away every time. Overall mouthfeel is delectable as well, as this beer is just a tad more filling than most lagers, but hey, it's Oktoberfest! Indulge!

I recommend Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Marzen to anyone who loves a satisfying, decadent beer, but isn't looking for something that's just good on its own. This is beer to be had with a feast, and with friends. Loud, boisterous laughter and hijinks will make this beer all the better. It tastes like a special occasion, so have a festival in your mouth with Oktoberfestbier, and you can bet it'll be a time with good friends you'll talk about for the rest of your life.

08-31-2012 10:23:05 | More by Schneidermeister
bbluemzbeer

Appearance : A amber color shines brilliantly as a steady stream of carbonation rises to the slightly off-white head.

Smell - Delicious malts are abundant in the rich aroma; toasted bread with biscuit undertones. It has a moderate sulfur character.

Taste - Is a pure malt pleasure that's toasty, but lightly and very well balanced.

Mouthful - Medium-bodied, it starts sweet and fuller but finishes light and refreshing with a good crispness to it.

Overall- Brewed perfectly for what it's meant for; sheer drinkability. Excellent. Can drink these all night. A solid brew, in a great season.

This is a world-class beer that's incredibly well done and as close to the epitome of an oktoberfest as possible. A malt-lover's dream, this is devoid of hop flavor and bitterness, letting the deep maltiness really shine.

06-28-2013 16:16:09 | More by bbluemzbeer
BobGlickman

Big malt & low hops

Perfect beer - for me. I love a malty taste and don't like hops much at all. Being aware that hops are all the rage right now, there aren't too many domestic beers I care for. Prior to late 2008, I thought Sam Adams Octoberfest was one of the best beers I ever tasted but in December of that year, my wife and I visited EPCOT's Germany. On tap, we were treated to Spaten Oktoberfest beer and our lives changed. A rich malty flavor with no hops bitter nastiness - pure bliss. Six months later, we made to the Yard House in Waikiki and had our first revisit with this beer. Our initial impressions were confirmed.

In late August in 2009, I had my first Sam Adams Octoberfest since trying the original. I no longer liked it as the hops aftertaste took over my palate. This was a defining moment as it perfectly demonstrated for me what I like and dislike about beer. I always stock up with 6 case in my beer cellar for the off-season and ration carefully.

09-26-2013 18:17:27 | More by BobGlickman
MichaelB_in_CO

4.89/5  rDev +36.6%

To me, this is *the* beer of my youth. I lived in Bamberg Germany, from 87 to 90, and this beer brings me back to sitting at a bistro on a Saturday afternoon, or swinging and swaying with the locals down in Munchen during OktoberFest.

I'm glad this beer is sold year 'round!!!

02-19-2013 01:46:03 | More by MichaelB_in_CO
americanwolfdrea

4.88/5  rDev +36.3%

It poured a gorgeous golden color. It formed a nice but small head and was crisp and refreshing. I for some reason detected a hint of citrus. it was a nice suprisingly clean finish...and was light on my palate i would most definately recommend it to anyone!!! Cheers

10-10-2007 04:48:40 | More by americanwolfdrea
B967ierhunter177

4.85/5  rDev +35.5%

Poured from bottle into glass mug a beautiful deep gold. Minimal head went away quick. A: one of the best appearing beers I've ever had. Deep gold like vanilla cream soda. S: aroma was of biscuits & caramel. T: flavor was perfect mix of caramel, malt, and hops. Very well balanced. M: smooth medium mouthfeel spread flavor to entire mouth. D: what a shame I only had one. Was the perfect pairing w/ pork & sauerkraut we had for dinner. Overall an outstanding beer, only knock was lack of head but the overall experience more than made up for it!

01-05-2010 01:24:35 | More by B967ierhunter177
godlessape

Georgia

4.78/5  rDev +33.5%

This is truly my favorite German beer. Spaten has been brewing beer since 1397. Think about that for a minute as you pour one into your favourite mug or pint glass. That's over a hundred years before Columbus discovered the Bahamas. So I think they know what they're doing and their Oktoberfest brew proves it very well.

Appearance: Dark amber with a thin head.

Smell: Roasted nutty malt, nothing exceptional.

Taste: An explosion of malty German goodness with just enough hops to balance it out. Sweet but not over the top, with a dry finish.

Mouthfeel. Silky smooth, with mild carbonation.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Das bier ist gut. And will never be a stranger to my refrigerator.

12-31-2010 04:00:04 | More by godlessape
EddieTheTrooper

4.7/5  rDev +31.3%

My favorite oktoberfest beer, Spaten is the reason I look forward to the fall. Its deep ruddy brown color is pleasing to the eyes, more so when looking at it down the barrel of a huge 32 oz mug. The smell speaks of the experience behind Spaten's brewing, these guys know how to make a friggin' beer. The first sip betrays hints of sassafras and mint that stay with you to the bottom of the glass. It is a little creamier than other oktoberfestbiers, but I like that, it serves to make a rich and foamy head. If you find it on tap, call a friend to drive you home because you're going to want to drink as much of it as your can. Remember in the movie Beerfest when the guys find that secret beer recipe hidden in the doll and they're all talking about how they want to ice skate on it or are simply moved to tears by how delicious it is? I like to imagine that beer tastes like Spaten Oktoberfest.

10-17-2009 17:29:04 | More by EddieTheTrooper
BeerLover48Fan

4.65/5  rDev +29.9%

Pours a solid copper with a thick white head that immediately dissipates to nothing. Visibly well carbonated.

Aroma is feint of caramel, must, and just a touch of German hops. I don’t find any toast.

Taste is not a let down for me.there arent bad things happening here. It’s just that there isn’t much at all going on here. Grainy with a floral finish but almost entirely lacking in toast and not sweet enough.

Mouthfeel: Light and aggressively carbonated. Clean and crisp.

Drinkability: Very high. Goes down like a light beer.

09-21-2007 01:40:13 | More by BeerLover48Fan
happy4hoppybeer

4.63/5  rDev +29.3%

A= dark orange-amber with thick head that fizzles fairly slowly, and lacing sticking to my 16-oz boot glass for a good long while.

S= Sweet caramel-ish malts, some tea-ish hops, maybe some nuts.

T= Malts, and malts. Some good faint hops in the background, but not hoppy.

M=Medium-bodied, with good carbonation, not too much, just the right amount.

D= Excellent. Can drink these all night.

A solid brew, in a great season. The most wonderful time of the year:Oktoberfest. From the nation that made beer what it should be, at least before the great American microbrew revolution came along. I love it. Spaten is always exceptional in my book.

09-09-2010 01:43:30 | More by happy4hoppybeer
beerceller99

Louisiana

4.6/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12 oz. with a " L15521M " bottling code. Pours a clear amber color with an off white head. Spicy gingerbread, yeasty smell. Medium bodied with a rich, creamy mouthfeel. Has a malty, bready sweet taste with a subtle Euro-hop essence to finish. Classic German.

A well crafted brew, world class

10-31-2004 18:17:09 | More by beerceller99
jrb1001

4.58/5  rDev +27.9%

When I first started drinking different types of beers, this was my first and I liked it so much that I bought a case of it.. It was definately worth it. The beer has the normal german taste to it which can be found in any german beer. I like the beer and I think anyone else who tries it will like it.

02-24-2006 23:59:34 | More by jrb1001
ledemie

4.58/5  rDev +27.9%

let me start first with this, the beer is great I always like Spaten products, the beer as a pleasant smell, it drinks very well, the after taste reminds me of EKU 28, the mouth feel is like mild sweet with a chery after taste ( like EKU 28), it is a good beer, I could not fingd it at the store I bought it from, but did find it at an other :-) ....

11-08-2007 19:26:43 | More by ledemie
abriggs1

Connecticut

4.55/5  rDev +27.1%

This stuff goes down my throat like silk. It's flavorful but very drinkable. Tastes like a festival in a bottle. What a beautiful, creamy, malty finish this beer has. It's got a good kick and lingers on the tongue more with each passing sip. I consider this one of the best Oktoberfests.

10-21-2008 00:16:29 | More by abriggs1
pmcadamis

4.53/5  rDev +26.5%

I went out to one of the local wing joints after work with some friends, and I was pleasantly surprised to see this on tap among the forest of BMC tap handles. The waitress asked if I wanted the pint glass or the big glass....I just looked at her and said..."what do you think?" Hooray for 1liter heavy glass mugs! I felt like I was in Munich...if they served chicken wings in the O-fest tents instead of sausage.

A - Deep orange and very clear with a 1/2 finger head that recedes quickly to a collar, Thin wet lacing sticks to the glass. The 1/2 finger head comes right back from the dead after a good swirl.

S - Rich and clean malty scent, very "to style." Clean and clear malts that remind me of a good german pils, but with a little more depth. I want to say that it smells a bit like carrot cake.

T - My thoughts at first sip: WOW!!! This is friggin' good! Deep and rich with clean malts but at the same time very quenching with a nice hop dryness at the finish. Sweet caramel and spice notes too. This tastes excellent! Just about my favorite O-fest ever.

M - Mouthfeel is light, but creamy with low carbonation levels. Could be thicker, but not bad at all. Clean and crisp. Cleaner than the bottled version.

D - This festy is very drinkable and pleasant if a little bit lacking in complexity. But, fest beers are all about celebration and just enjoying the fall weather, and for the season I couldn't ask for more. This is my favorite oktoberfest brew so far! Great stuff...especially when quaffed in large quantities from a heavy 1 liter mug!

11-12-2007 23:05:19 | More by pmcadamis
SigEp

4.53/5  rDev +26.5%

I have to agree wholeheartedly with the last reviewer. While unimpressed with recent Spaten Ok/Ur vintages, this one is seriously worth another try. Very, very drinkable. Round, malty, with just enough hop at the end to make you want more. I don't know what it is but this year's batch tastes DARN close to fresh Munchen amber heaven. I recommend you re-try this one.

08-05-2010 03:57:33 | More by SigEp
steveh

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

I last reviewed this brew in 2006, figure maybe it's time for an update now that Spaten is getting this to Northern Illinois year-round* -- and the latest batch seems to be a darn good one.

A -- Deep, clear copper color with a dense, long-lasting, off-white head. I recall last year's seasonal Okto being much lighter than this, almost orange -- this appears to be the Spaten I remember of old.

S -- A good balance of toasty malts and spicy hops. Though subdued, still pretty rich for a lager.

T -- Big, rich, sweet bready malts up front with just a vague hint of spicy hops. Finishes with that spiciness and leaves a lingering breadiness that fades to a dry malty note.

M -- Medium body with a soft, smooth mouthfeel.

D -- Highly drinkable -- the style was made for just that, and Spaten is the original of the style. To me, this beer has come back around after falling a little flat in the past few years. It's the Okto Märzen of old that I remember drinking in Munich 20 years ago.

*Mistakenly mislead by a retailer who was talking out of his a**

08-02-2010 21:23:34 | More by steveh
beershrine

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

Bought this beer in a six-pack, Seemed fresh with an updated bottle label. First beer of the day and poured it into 1/2 Liter glass.

Great copper golden color with a head standing on it. I left it for 2 minutes
then came back and tasted. Bam...Germans now how to make beer. Great malt flavor with perfect hop balance. Achieving clean malt flavor like THIS is something few brewers try. Beer does not get much better than this example. Freshness is very important and this one impressed me. I want to drink it in a Full Liter mug.

06-27-2011 23:37:59 | More by beershrine
BobLuvBeer

4.47/5  rDev +24.9%

Burnt brown color, pours with minimal head. Cross between burnt toast and caramel in the aroma. Avery full and awesome scent. Thee same characteristics in the aroma come through in the taste. There is also just enough hop present to balance out the flavor, Beer rest slightly tart like on the palate, but finishes very smoothly. Overall, and excellent oktoberfest.

08-21-2004 14:38:03 | More by BobLuvBeer
Upgrayedd

4.47/5  rDev +24.9%

This is one of those classic German lagers that are designed to be drunk all day long. It combines a light malty flavor and light noble hop flavor to create a highly drinkable product.

It pours a light brown color. The smell and initial taste are of burnt Munich malt, but in a good way. I love beers made with decoction mashing! The malt flavor is wonderful and is properly balanced with the hops. It goes down lager-smooth and there is no hint of alcohol. I'm so happy this brew is sold by the case and appears at my local Costco every fall. I feel that if beers like this were more widely available to the average BMC drinker, we would see a massive shift away from brewers chruning out yellow fizzy water and see more exploration of this style.

10-31-2007 13:09:07 | More by Upgrayedd
adamette

4.47/5  rDev +24.9%

Served from tap into a beautiful, bodacious one LITER "glass" which resembled a small fishtank complete with one inch "bubbles" embedded into the side of the glass at Winking Lizard in Mentor, Ohio. This glass even had the awesome SPATEN name and symbol printed on the glass opposite the handle. Very cool!

A Really could not be better for an Oktoberfestbier. Medium brown translucent body with one inch head. The glass was the "bubble circle" glass sytle and huuuuge.

S No strong or obvious smell, some malt, some hops.

T Wonderful. Malty, the right amount of hops. This is really a great oktoberfest. I wish that other breweries had tasted this and took as many cues as they are able.

M Great, Medium to thin mouthfeel which is perfect for the style.

D Great as well. I had a liter of this stuff over a period of 90 minutes. While I could not order a second one I believe that these first 3-4 beers (if divided by 12 oz) is plenty. Really, very drinkable.

Notes: The best oktoberfest (and why not, from Munich and one of the sponsors of the real Oktoberfest!) I have had. It will be difficult (if not impossible) to surpass its wonderful balance, simplicity, drinkability. Bravo!

10-10-2008 00:18:16 | More by adamette
brewanddrink

4.47/5  rDev +24.9%

as it says on my page marzen Oktoberfest is my favorite style of beer. This one pours a nice golden yellow and has a medium head that is full hop and malt aroma. When you taste it your thirst is gone it is a great balance of malt to bitter and is light enough where you can have multiple and have room for more great beer.

12-14-2009 03:02:29 | More by brewanddrink
WrathsU

4.47/5  rDev +24.9%

A - brilliant clear amber body with thick egg shell white head. Minimal lacing, medium head retention.

S - malty sweetness throughout. No hop aroma at all. Slight honey smell to the aroma.

T - malty sweetness throughout again. Very slight noble hop flavor towards the end. Maybe a bit of a mineral taste.

M - medium bodied with no alcohol burn and a very sight carbonation bite.

O - a very good example of an Oktoberfest. Very malty with minimal amounts of hops. No complaints here.

01-19-2012 19:02:12 | More by WrathsU
MrHurmateeowish

New Hampshire

4.45/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz green bottle from Tiger Town in Gardiner. Pours translucent amber-red with a slight chill haze and almost no head. Smells like toffee and leafy European hops. Tastes malty, with a toasty toffee character and continental hops playing a supporting role. Not overpowering. Very well balanced, delicate full flavor. Medium somewhat creamy body with a fair bit of carbonation. I am impressed. My expectations were not high but this is one of the better octoberfestbiers I've had. Not as rich as Ayinger or Paulaner, this one is still a really solid and easy to find choice. Very drinkable. I could easily polish off a sixer of this without thinking twice. A new favorite!

10-12-2007 00:32:54 | More by MrHurmateeowish