Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

good

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 09-04-2001)
View: Beers (17) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen Alström Bros
Bono09

Morphele

05-22-2012 04:45:39 | More by Morphele
TheAlamoWrocker

1.23/5  rDev -65.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Blue Star Brewery Pint Glass.

Appearance

Poured a dark Amber, a leaf brown, with a one fingered head. The color just doesn't seem right.The carbonation is mild and the head definitely is interesting.

Smell

The smell is something that someone does not want to remember. It smells like something by an America Macro-brew. I want to believe that this beer has gone bad because it was in a green bottled, maybe it was skunked.

Taste

Even this taste is Macro. It taste horrible, but then it leaves a bitter aftertaste. This aftertaste is not anything to desire. I enjoy a nice aftertaste, but not when it's bad. This is just one of those aftertaste that sneaks up on you and you regret ever swallowing.

Mouthfeel

Thin like a light beer, but then it's extremely carbonated in the mouth. I don't want this carbonation exploring my mouth.

Overall

This is one of the worst beers that I have had in quite some time. I complained to my roommate the entire time I drank it. He told me to stop drinking it, but I wanted to give this its full chance. It obviously failed when it had its chance though. Maybe this beer was skunked, but I will never drink this beer again.

10-06-2011 22:03:17 | More by TheAlamoWrocker
akajimmyd

District of Columbia

1.43/5  rDev -60.2%

Appearance – Pale copper color. A little light for a Marzen. Not much head.

Smell – Upfront: Strong acidic smell. Almost skunky, smells like a Heineken. After it settles the malty aroma is more subdue. Upfront it is very unpleasant.

Taste – Metallic and unpleasant. Some bready malts.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability – Thankfully it’s pretty light, which allows me to get this down. I am really not a fan. Maybe this one got skunked but it would take a lot for me to try this again.

01-17-2007 04:05:58 | More by akajimmyd
Tballz420

1.73/5  rDev -51.8%

Oktoberfestbier Ur-Marzen is a deep amber colored brew, very clear, fair amount of carbonation and a small, short-lived off-white head. I cringed the moment I realized this was in a green bottle, and of course the scent has a heavy dose of Euro green bottle skunk to it. You would think that a brewery that's purportedly been around since 1397 would learn to go with brown bottles, but oh well, maybe people in Europe like the skunked taste. I do myself, but only smokey skunk, not the liquid kind.

Anyways, other than that, the scent just has a light lagered malt scent to it, not much going on. Christ, the taste is skunked too, I really don't know if I can get past this, it seems kind of outrageous. The untainted part of the taste has some Vienna or Munich malts, tough to tell. Just a bit of Nobel hops in there as well.

I see on the display picture that the bottle they had was a brown one, so I haave no idea why this is in a green bottle. It's absolutely ruined by the skunked flavor. I get that the skunkiness can be somewhat appealing to some people, but thats for a pilsner or a Euro Pale Lager. I go by what I have in front of me however, and I have a green bottle Oktoberfest, which is going to receive a big fat fail for a bullshit bier.

08-27-2011 00:29:42 | More by Tballz420
dpcoz

1.8/5  rDev -49.9%

Spaten
Oktoberfestbeir Ur-Marzen
120oz bottle
Standard Pint Glass

09/23/10

A - Copper towards the center, pale ale gold towards the perimeter. Clear in appearance, one finger of a white head.

S - Smell is tough, not a lot to it, faint malt

T - Muted carmel and bready malts. Weak Hops. You know what? This beer is skunked. Thank you, green bottle...

M - Decent carbonation, touch warming at the end. Skunkiness makes it regrettable at most.

D - Skunkiness ruined this bottle, don't know how it skunked as I took it out of the store at night. Sigh. I would like to try this on tap somewhere and give it one more opportunity.

09-23-2010 23:56:48 | More by dpcoz
DrewV

1.83/5  rDev -49%

Not even going to bother with the ASTMO rating this time around.

From the initial skunky aroma to the subsequent thin-bodied skunky-sweet husky taste, this is a drain pour if I ever saw one.

I've already spent the money for the beer, but I won't go further and punish my taste buds or my stomach with this stuff. It's better to cut my losses and feed the drain.

Wow, what a disappointment.

09-01-2011 21:49:30 | More by DrewV
AaronRed

1.88/5  rDev -47.6%

I do believe that this beer was skunked, so this is probably not a fair review. I will attempt to try it again soon, hopefully on tap. Anyway, the beer poured OK, dark golden with a white lace head, but that was about all that was decent. Smelled of old cabbage. Tasted like old cabbage. I could sense some nice malty flavor underneath- but it was really hard to keep the bad qualities at bay. I couldn't finish it, which left me reaching for a Brooklyn Octoberfest, which was far superior

10-20-2002 11:35:18 | More by AaronRed
Dogbrick

1.88/5  rDev -47.6%

Acquired via trade. Pours a clear amber color with minimal carbonation and a medium thin off-white head. Thin and quick lacing. The aroma is malty and skunked (green bottle issue?). Medium-bodied with a yin and yang of sweetness and skunkiness throughout, this ended up being a drain pour. The malt and caramel flavors simply could not compete with the unpleasant skunkiness. The finish kept with the theme. I will have to try to seek a fresher bottle out for a re-taste.

02-10-2004 03:55:28 | More by Dogbrick
Jdecarol

1.93/5  rDev -46.2%

Dark brown in color (like a dunkel) with a small head that dissapates rapidly into a ring.

Smells a little malty and grassy with an astringent twang and lots of carbonation up the nose.

Taste is much the same. Starts off a little sweet then ends with a harsh astringent finish. Very dry on the finish.

Mouthfeel is thin, almost as thin as a light beer with way too much carbonation.

I couldn't drink much of this, its just way over carbonated and the taste is in all the wrong places.

The best I can compare this too is Blackened Voodoo meets seltzer water and burned grass.

08-29-2009 00:02:23 | More by Jdecarol
Brent

Kentucky

Venom is dead-on. This beer is pretty underwhelming.

09-06-2001 23:06:17 | More by Brent
slassy

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Had this on tap in Illinois after a 6 hour car ride and thought it was incredible, so I picked up a sixer to give it a proper review. In retrospect, it might have tasted so good simply because I was in a car for 6 hours going through corn country.

A: Pours a dark copper color. Half a finger head that disappears rapidly. Bottle and packaging very 'German'; fit the brew style perfectly.

S: Malts all the way. If there's other notes to be detected, the malts cover them up to this reviewer's nose.

T: Malts. Taste doesn't really evolve in your mouth at all. What you smell and taste initially is what you get.

M: Minimal carbonation at the beginning of the sip. Beyond that, pretty smooth and water-like. 'Cardboard' aftertaste that makes the chin pucker.

O: Easy drinking Autumn beer for when the football is on and the weather gets colder. Not something I'd shun, but not something that would be my first (or second or third) choice if I am buying. Jokes aside, this is one of those beers that gets significantly better as you go along (no, I don't think that's true for every beer).

10-03-2011 03:11:43 | More by slassy

03-18-2012 04:03:41 | More by jsboates
beertaster13

Washington

2.05/5  rDev -42.9%

Picked up a six pack of these after a recomendation from a fellow BA and I have to say I was quite dissapointed. I love seasonal beers but Spaten Oktoberfest wasn't my cup of tea. Comes in a 12 oz green bottle and pours an amber color with little head which looks almost soapy. Smell has hints of caramel and malts but with skunky smells mixed in. The taste is about the same, very flat with no pizazz to speak of. Tasted to me like sucking pennies with malt flavor. Couldn't let this beer sit in my mouth for long. I couldn't drink many either, quite filling. There are good Oktoberfest and other seasonal type beers out there, this is not one of them.

02-21-2004 06:44:29 | More by beertaster13
joecast

Australia

2.1/5  rDev -41.5%

clear copper/amber with light carbonation and a thin but stable head.

hoppy floral aroma thats put off by a plasticy band aid funk. whew, thats funky.

i can tell theres some nice full malt in there some where, but its hidden pretty well by a plasticy taste and a thin body. even the hoppiness seems off a bit.

i hope this is just a bad example of what spaten puts out, cause im sure they do some good work. however it will probably be a while before i try this again.

01-11-2006 01:01:08 | More by joecast
LuthersMug

2.13/5  rDev -40.7%

A - Golden brown hue, clear. Head was a bit fizzy and dissipated quickly. Not much lacing.

S - Malty, metallic, quite pungent.

T - Tasted a bit skunky to me. Very hoppy, a bit strong for me.

M - Carbonation good. The malts were overpowered by the hops.

D - I barely finished the one.

12-21-2010 04:06:46 | More by LuthersMug
tjsmith910

2.15/5  rDev -40.1%

A: Lightredish tan in color with a thin film of head that dies quickly and nearly no lacing

S: i rate all beers a 3 on smell due to my lack of smell

T: like a butter scotch candy .

M: thick and heavy in general.

O: average for its style, just seems to be missing something

06-21-2012 02:15:53 | More by tjsmith910
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

Poured into pils glass.

Pours a bit of white head. Color is a clear copper brown. Some active carbonation in the class.

Aroma: Skunk and then some. Some caramel and roasted malts. Grassy noble hops.

Taste: More skunk. It is pretty much identical to the aroma. Dry and roasted malts with a caramel sweetness. Earthy noble hops.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and crisp. A higher amount of carbonation with a medium bodied. Ends dry with skunk flavors.

Overall, it is just a shame that this beer has a lot of skunk flavors to it. I am not digging it too much because of that, but if that flavor wasn't there I could probably drink more of it. Not to drinkable for me.

10-12-2010 00:58:18 | More by mothman
fattychubs

2.15/5  rDev -40.1%

This was on fire sale at the local tap room so I figured I would give it a try.

Copper color beer served with no head and slight white lacing. Aroma was very mild hops. Thin body, boring flavor, just a meek toasted malt taste. Somewhat acidic aftertaste, a pint was more then enough.

07-03-2003 15:17:19 | More by fattychubs
NJpadreFan

2.17/5  rDev -39.6%

Spaten- Oktoberfest

Appearance- light reddish brown with a quickly dissolving head, no lacing.
Smell- Strong sugary candy, caramel, and grain (wheat/ barley)
Taste- Sweet sugar with a light earthy hop flavor.
Mouthfeel- sweet, cloying even. Finishes off very bland.

Overall- big disappointment. Was expecting more. This is 1 of the weakest Oktoberfests I've ever had.

09-26-2006 19:58:05 | More by NJpadreFan
Kanyon22

2.17/5  rDev -39.6%

First Oktoberfest of the season, here goes.

A: Pours a slight hazy orange color with a little white head on top. Pretty standard look for a marzen.

S: Has that musky, skunky euro lager smell. Can't seem to smell any malt. Not a good start.

T: Starts off sweet malts then musky hops come flying in that back to a sweet finish, with that musky wet taste coating my mouth. I'm kinda reaching here but there might be a bit of cocoa sweetness in there. Hating that euro lager taste right now.

M: Medium to light, seems kinda thin for the style, but its my first marzen this year, so i'll kinda give it a pass.

D: Drinkability would be much high if it wasn't for hoppy cloying coating the back of my mouth.

For an oktoberfest I was expecting more malt and less macro euro mess this is.

09-23-2010 21:24:05 | More by Kanyon22