2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-MärzenSpaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen

good

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 09-04-2001)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,837 | Reviews: 1,058 | Show All Ratings:
leweascoba

4.38/5  rDev +22.3%

Decided to buy this beer in a 1/2 keg for something different. I have enjoyed the regular Spaten numerous times and thought I would try the Octoberfest brew for the holidays.

Taps an amber color with a nice head that dissapates in a few minutes. The taste is smooth and enjoyable and not too heavy.

It is really an enjoyable beer and would recommend it to anyone. My friends and family will enjoy it when they come to visit.

12-17-2007 03:57:23 | More by leweascoba
TKempe

Netherlands

4.4/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Apparently this beer is not the same as the Oktoberfest Ur-Märzen by Spaten. Its colour isn't dark or amber, but golden and very clear; it has a moderate white head and just a few big bubbles of carbonation.

Smells great, of herbal hops and malt, both in a grainy and a caramel-like sense. Some gentle fruity notes come through on the side, as well as a little yeast. A lot hoppier and less caramelesque than other Maerzen's that I've encountered.

Tastes nice and sweet in the beginning and moves into a dry and hoppy/herbal flavor afterwards. Finishes pretty clean with the hops still effective. Quite delicious and juicy.

Medium-bodied and a smooth mouthfeel, crisp to the palate and very easy to enjoy.

10-09-2008 20:15:04 | More by TKempe
marc77

4.43/5  rDev +23.7%

Super clear bronze hue. As with most German brews, it has a thick head. Toasty, bready, raisiny & complex maltniess make for a wonderful but not overpowering malt aroma. Medium in body. Slightly sweet in flavor w/ toasty malt flavors. The decoction mashing produced complex and almost fruity (prune - like?) melanoidins that are highly enjoyable. Hops are minimal in presence, but do balance the sweetness sufficiently and prevent it from becoming cloying. finishes a bit sweet w/ a biscuity malt flavor on the tongue. Spaten's Oktoberfest is all around around balanced excellently. Its cleaner in malt profile than its "rival" Paulaner, and is thus more drinkable.

03-24-2002 21:13:10 | More by marc77
ryanocerus

Iowa

4.43/5  rDev +23.7%

I was very impressed by this Ofest. I had a couple while watching football this weekend and they stole the show from the rest of the beers I quaffed. Nice amber color with little head. The aroma was sweet malt, with very faint hops. The flavor was a sweet, fruity malt that kept me going back for more. Mouthfeel was smooth, with long lasting flavor. My favorite Ofest, with Hacker-Pschorr coming in second.

10-29-2002 11:15:05 | More by ryanocerus
PEBKAC

4.43/5  rDev +23.7%

Reviewed from notes, 10/06, super fresh Costco case.

It's up; it's down. It must know I'm thirsty.

Nice amber color, but so clear & crisp looking. The beer is still plenty cold, but I won't wait.

Good mix of apricots, raisins, & sugar cookies. Alcohol is evident, but the richness more so. Experiences may vary; adjust accordingly. :D

Lightly roasted, but quite malty. A little smoke surrounds it all. Maybe a little copper in there, maybe. There's less then half of a bitter buzz on the end, which rounds it off really nicely. The alcohol leaves a trail, but runs real thin.

These bottles go down really, really, easy. Wow, I don't remember having refills. Has just a tad more body then your average ale, but not much at all. Really nice & really easy. Do I use the word "really" alot?

Yummy. :)

01-30-2007 07:27:21 | More by PEBKAC
ccrida

Oregon

4.43/5  rDev +23.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Gilde Rastkeller Edel Pils glass, which is of the wider mouthed, fluted variety. The original Oktoberfestbier is a dark, clear copper with a moderate effervescence providing a small off-white head that leaves light lace.

The aroma is bready cereal grain, slightly toasted with a bit of sulfur and floral hop background. Classic Märzen is unmistakable.

Taste is of course very malty and fairly sweet and lightly toasted, with fairly aggressive, fruity esters for a lager, yet still crisp and finishes somewhat dry. I've always been a big fan of this style, and Spaten's offereing in particular. Maybe not the most complex, but balanced and very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is on the sharper side, with a medium body.

Drinkablity is very high for me. I've enjoyed many a crisp fall afternoon throwing these back by the 6 pack, they go great with BBQ. Enough booze to make it worthwhile but still let me getaway with having a few more then I probably should!

10-23-2007 02:09:25 | More by ccrida
FloppyDog

4.43/5  rDev +23.7%

Poured a crystal clear amber orange with a minimal off-white head.

The aroma is of a clean maltiness upfront with hop aroma (possibly Saaz?) making an appearance in the background.

The taste is very clean and balanced between malt sweetness and hop bitterness.

Mouth feel is very light-bodied with light carbonation that combines to make this an extremely easy-drinking beer. Being a fan of "malt-forward" beers, I really like this one.

09-12-2009 04:42:05 | More by FloppyDog
MrHurmateeowish

New Hampshire

4.45/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz green bottle from Tiger Town in Gardiner. Pours translucent amber-red with a slight chill haze and almost no head. Smells like toffee and leafy European hops. Tastes malty, with a toasty toffee character and continental hops playing a supporting role. Not overpowering. Very well balanced, delicate full flavor. Medium somewhat creamy body with a fair bit of carbonation. I am impressed. My expectations were not high but this is one of the better octoberfestbiers I've had. Not as rich as Ayinger or Paulaner, this one is still a really solid and easy to find choice. Very drinkable. I could easily polish off a sixer of this without thinking twice. A new favorite!

10-12-2007 00:32:54 | More by MrHurmateeowish
TCog

Connecticut

4.45/5  rDev +24.3%

Pours a great copper color.

Not the biggest aroma going, but what was there had some light malt going on.

Flavor wise, the malt is more pronounced up front than I would have expected from the aroma, but it finishes with more of a hoppy bitter flavor. Not the kick-you-in-the-teeth Octoberfest I've found more and more common from some of the American breweries, and more smooth drinking and easily approachable than some of its comparable imported brethren.

For a little context, even though its available year round, I wait till the first weekend of fall every year and go to town on this beer. Definately one of my favorites, on tap or in the bottle, in terms of easy-drinking crowd-pleasing Octoberfest.

10-22-2008 03:40:59 | More by TCog
BobLuvBeer

4.47/5  rDev +24.9%

Burnt brown color, pours with minimal head. Cross between burnt toast and caramel in the aroma. Avery full and awesome scent. Thee same characteristics in the aroma come through in the taste. There is also just enough hop present to balance out the flavor, Beer rest slightly tart like on the palate, but finishes very smoothly. Overall, and excellent oktoberfest.

08-21-2004 14:38:03 | More by BobLuvBeer
Upgrayedd

4.47/5  rDev +24.9%

This is one of those classic German lagers that are designed to be drunk all day long. It combines a light malty flavor and light noble hop flavor to create a highly drinkable product.

It pours a light brown color. The smell and initial taste are of burnt Munich malt, but in a good way. I love beers made with decoction mashing! The malt flavor is wonderful and is properly balanced with the hops. It goes down lager-smooth and there is no hint of alcohol. I'm so happy this brew is sold by the case and appears at my local Costco every fall. I feel that if beers like this were more widely available to the average BMC drinker, we would see a massive shift away from brewers chruning out yellow fizzy water and see more exploration of this style.

10-31-2007 13:09:07 | More by Upgrayedd
adamette

4.47/5  rDev +24.9%

Served from tap into a beautiful, bodacious one LITER "glass" which resembled a small fishtank complete with one inch "bubbles" embedded into the side of the glass at Winking Lizard in Mentor, Ohio. This glass even had the awesome SPATEN name and symbol printed on the glass opposite the handle. Very cool!

A Really could not be better for an Oktoberfestbier. Medium brown translucent body with one inch head. The glass was the "bubble circle" glass sytle and huuuuge.

S No strong or obvious smell, some malt, some hops.

T Wonderful. Malty, the right amount of hops. This is really a great oktoberfest. I wish that other breweries had tasted this and took as many cues as they are able.

M Great, Medium to thin mouthfeel which is perfect for the style.

D Great as well. I had a liter of this stuff over a period of 90 minutes. While I could not order a second one I believe that these first 3-4 beers (if divided by 12 oz) is plenty. Really, very drinkable.

Notes: The best oktoberfest (and why not, from Munich and one of the sponsors of the real Oktoberfest!) I have had. It will be difficult (if not impossible) to surpass its wonderful balance, simplicity, drinkability. Bravo!

10-10-2008 00:18:16 | More by adamette
brewanddrink

4.47/5  rDev +24.9%

as it says on my page marzen Oktoberfest is my favorite style of beer. This one pours a nice golden yellow and has a medium head that is full hop and malt aroma. When you taste it your thirst is gone it is a great balance of malt to bitter and is light enough where you can have multiple and have room for more great beer.

12-14-2009 03:02:29 | More by brewanddrink
WrathsU

4.47/5  rDev +24.9%

A - brilliant clear amber body with thick egg shell white head. Minimal lacing, medium head retention.

S - malty sweetness throughout. No hop aroma at all. Slight honey smell to the aroma.

T - malty sweetness throughout again. Very slight noble hop flavor towards the end. Maybe a bit of a mineral taste.

M - medium bodied with no alcohol burn and a very sight carbonation bite.

O - a very good example of an Oktoberfest. Very malty with minimal amounts of hops. No complaints here.

01-19-2012 19:02:12 | More by WrathsU
steveh

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

I last reviewed this brew in 2006, figure maybe it's time for an update now that Spaten is getting this to Northern Illinois year-round* -- and the latest batch seems to be a darn good one.

A -- Deep, clear copper color with a dense, long-lasting, off-white head. I recall last year's seasonal Okto being much lighter than this, almost orange -- this appears to be the Spaten I remember of old.

S -- A good balance of toasty malts and spicy hops. Though subdued, still pretty rich for a lager.

T -- Big, rich, sweet bready malts up front with just a vague hint of spicy hops. Finishes with that spiciness and leaves a lingering breadiness that fades to a dry malty note.

M -- Medium body with a soft, smooth mouthfeel.

D -- Highly drinkable -- the style was made for just that, and Spaten is the original of the style. To me, this beer has come back around after falling a little flat in the past few years. It's the Okto Märzen of old that I remember drinking in Munich 20 years ago.

*Mistakenly mislead by a retailer who was talking out of his a**

08-02-2010 21:23:34 | More by steveh
beershrine

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

Bought this beer in a six-pack, Seemed fresh with an updated bottle label. First beer of the day and poured it into 1/2 Liter glass.

Great copper golden color with a head standing on it. I left it for 2 minutes
then came back and tasted. Bam...Germans now how to make beer. Great malt flavor with perfect hop balance. Achieving clean malt flavor like THIS is something few brewers try. Beer does not get much better than this example. Freshness is very important and this one impressed me. I want to drink it in a Full Liter mug.

06-27-2011 23:37:59 | More by beershrine
pmcadamis

4.53/5  rDev +26.5%

I went out to one of the local wing joints after work with some friends, and I was pleasantly surprised to see this on tap among the forest of BMC tap handles. The waitress asked if I wanted the pint glass or the big glass....I just looked at her and said..."what do you think?" Hooray for 1liter heavy glass mugs! I felt like I was in Munich...if they served chicken wings in the O-fest tents instead of sausage.

A - Deep orange and very clear with a 1/2 finger head that recedes quickly to a collar, Thin wet lacing sticks to the glass. The 1/2 finger head comes right back from the dead after a good swirl.

S - Rich and clean malty scent, very "to style." Clean and clear malts that remind me of a good german pils, but with a little more depth. I want to say that it smells a bit like carrot cake.

T - My thoughts at first sip: WOW!!! This is friggin' good! Deep and rich with clean malts but at the same time very quenching with a nice hop dryness at the finish. Sweet caramel and spice notes too. This tastes excellent! Just about my favorite O-fest ever.

M - Mouthfeel is light, but creamy with low carbonation levels. Could be thicker, but not bad at all. Clean and crisp. Cleaner than the bottled version.

D - This festy is very drinkable and pleasant if a little bit lacking in complexity. But, fest beers are all about celebration and just enjoying the fall weather, and for the season I couldn't ask for more. This is my favorite oktoberfest brew so far! Great stuff...especially when quaffed in large quantities from a heavy 1 liter mug!

11-12-2007 23:05:19 | More by pmcadamis
SigEp

4.53/5  rDev +26.5%

I have to agree wholeheartedly with the last reviewer. While unimpressed with recent Spaten Ok/Ur vintages, this one is seriously worth another try. Very, very drinkable. Round, malty, with just enough hop at the end to make you want more. I don't know what it is but this year's batch tastes DARN close to fresh Munchen amber heaven. I recommend you re-try this one.

08-05-2010 03:57:33 | More by SigEp
abriggs1

Connecticut

4.55/5  rDev +27.1%

This stuff goes down my throat like silk. It's flavorful but very drinkable. Tastes like a festival in a bottle. What a beautiful, creamy, malty finish this beer has. It's got a good kick and lingers on the tongue more with each passing sip. I consider this one of the best Oktoberfests.

10-21-2008 00:16:29 | More by abriggs1
jrb1001

4.58/5  rDev +27.9%

When I first started drinking different types of beers, this was my first and I liked it so much that I bought a case of it.. It was definately worth it. The beer has the normal german taste to it which can be found in any german beer. I like the beer and I think anyone else who tries it will like it.

02-24-2006 23:59:34 | More by jrb1001
ledemie

4.58/5  rDev +27.9%

let me start first with this, the beer is great I always like Spaten products, the beer as a pleasant smell, it drinks very well, the after taste reminds me of EKU 28, the mouth feel is like mild sweet with a chery after taste ( like EKU 28), it is a good beer, I could not fingd it at the store I bought it from, but did find it at an other :-) ....

11-08-2007 19:26:43 | More by ledemie
beerceller99

Louisiana

4.6/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12 oz. with a " L15521M " bottling code. Pours a clear amber color with an off white head. Spicy gingerbread, yeasty smell. Medium bodied with a rich, creamy mouthfeel. Has a malty, bready sweet taste with a subtle Euro-hop essence to finish. Classic German.

A well crafted brew, world class

10-31-2004 18:17:09 | More by beerceller99
happy4hoppybeer

4.63/5  rDev +29.3%

A= dark orange-amber with thick head that fizzles fairly slowly, and lacing sticking to my 16-oz boot glass for a good long while.

S= Sweet caramel-ish malts, some tea-ish hops, maybe some nuts.

T= Malts, and malts. Some good faint hops in the background, but not hoppy.

M=Medium-bodied, with good carbonation, not too much, just the right amount.

D= Excellent. Can drink these all night.

A solid brew, in a great season. The most wonderful time of the year:Oktoberfest. From the nation that made beer what it should be, at least before the great American microbrew revolution came along. I love it. Spaten is always exceptional in my book.

09-09-2010 01:43:30 | More by happy4hoppybeer
BeerLover48Fan

4.65/5  rDev +29.9%

Pours a solid copper with a thick white head that immediately dissipates to nothing. Visibly well carbonated.

Aroma is feint of caramel, must, and just a touch of German hops. I don’t find any toast.

Taste is not a let down for me.there arent bad things happening here. It’s just that there isn’t much at all going on here. Grainy with a floral finish but almost entirely lacking in toast and not sweet enough.

Mouthfeel: Light and aggressively carbonated. Clean and crisp.

Drinkability: Very high. Goes down like a light beer.

09-21-2007 01:40:13 | More by BeerLover48Fan
EddieTheTrooper

4.7/5  rDev +31.3%

My favorite oktoberfest beer, Spaten is the reason I look forward to the fall. Its deep ruddy brown color is pleasing to the eyes, more so when looking at it down the barrel of a huge 32 oz mug. The smell speaks of the experience behind Spaten's brewing, these guys know how to make a friggin' beer. The first sip betrays hints of sassafras and mint that stay with you to the bottom of the glass. It is a little creamier than other oktoberfestbiers, but I like that, it serves to make a rich and foamy head. If you find it on tap, call a friend to drive you home because you're going to want to drink as much of it as your can. Remember in the movie Beerfest when the guys find that secret beer recipe hidden in the doll and they're all talking about how they want to ice skate on it or are simply moved to tears by how delicious it is? I like to imagine that beer tastes like Spaten Oktoberfest.

10-17-2009 17:29:04 | More by EddieTheTrooper