Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

good

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 09-04-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen Alström Bros

12oz bottle into my excuse for a stein

A: A deep copper colored pour with a small dirty white head that rises briefly before settling to a disk.

S: Malty with a bready character with a moderately pronounced caramel malt character. Mildly fruity with a hint of almost-ripe plums. Solid

T: Light on the palate with some bready malt, caramel sweetness and a rather dry and hoppy finish with a mild spicy character. There's a rather strange aftertaste that I can't quite identify but is less than ideal, half like a stale malt flavor.

M: Lighter in body than I'd like with the strange finish. Carbonation is OK, though

D: This is fairly easy to drink but not my favorite of the style

DefenCorps, Sep 28, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

I usually keep clear of imports if they're in bottles. But this was on tap, so I tried it..finally.
Semi-deep and rich ruby/copper colored pour. Quite nice looking actually. Thin head...I think it was poured way too cold. Oh well.
Slight sweetness and breadiness in the nose. Malt is foremost with a sllight spice in the end.
Taste has a good blend of malt, spice and hops. too be sure, the hops are the least as the sweetness and malt blend well to produce a easy drinking beer. Some caramel is detected in the back, the hops serves as a cleansing agent and brings the beer out in the open. I enjoyed this beer.

Mebuzzard, Sep 23, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a dark copper with a thick head...maybe about 2 fingers thick that dissipates a bit. There is also a lot of carbonation happening here. As I drank this beer down there was evidence of lacing.

The smell was very yeasty, spicy yeast. I also picked up the scent of pumpkin. Cinnamon was there too. The malt smelled sweet.

My first impression was the tiny kick that I got quite quickly. I didn't really notice the malt too much and the hops are there but didn't seem like they affected the drink. Very good balance.

Light but with a little caramel texture.

Very good beer for what it is. I will for sure be drinking these next year for Oktoberfest!

CoSMoSYS, Dec 22, 2007
3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle into half-liter Pilsner Urquell pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours a light brown color, like iced tea. Has a two-finger white head that dissipates so slowly, there is still a small bit of the head left after drinking some of it. Heavy lacing.

Smell: Caramel malt with a touch of grassiness.

Taste: Sweet, somewhat toasty malt. Has a taste almost like a weaker doppelbock. Pleasant malt flavors.

Mouthfeel: Light body, crisp carbonation bite, refreshing finish- everything I want from this style.

Drinkability: A pretty good Oktoberfestbier. This is definitely a fall beer I would love to have in my fridge on a regular basis. You won't be blown away by this, but it is satisfying.

Mosstrooper, Sep 25, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Pleasant to the nose with a coppery color, leaning towards brownish green rather than red. Minimal head with moderate carbonation. Does not leave any lacing to speak of.

Not very lively on the tongue, although it yields a pleasantly slick mouthfeel. Despite the somewhat higher ABV I could really pound these.

By way of disclaimer I don't have any experience with this style of beer, so I cannot compare this particular one to the best of the breed. I would say that this beer is worthwhile but nothing to jump up and down about. Not a first choice off the shelf for me.

jonworth, Feb 28, 2009

Now Quaffing: Spaten Oktoberfest

Pours a pale, clear copper with a nice dense head. Nice toasty malt aroma on this one, and thats about all I can detect. Taste is mostly sweet with the same toasted malts appearing on the palate. Somewhat of a dry finish and this is where the only evidence of hops comes into play. Not a lot of character going on here, but its still a very drinkable brew. One of the better 'O-fests' I've had thus far this season.

TripelJ, Sep 22, 2003
3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from the tap at responsible beer bar that likey takes care of their lines and taps. Golden copper color with a big white head. Clean and crisp flavor and with a delicate balance of caramel malts and noble hops. Light enough to enjoy multiple glasses without filling up. A real fest beer with aromatic hops.

MillySox, Feb 01, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

16.9 oz. brown bottle. This poured a light amber with a fairly dense head but no lace to speak of. The aroma was malty sweet.
The taste was of toasty sweet malts and caramel. This was right up to the edge of being a little too sweet for me but ended with a nice dry finish. Seemed light for the style in both flavor and body although this certainly enhanced the drinkibility.

rkhaze, Oct 10, 2003
3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Rich, coppery amber body. Large eggshell white cap. Spotty lacing is left after the huge head crashed and burned quickly.

S: Spicy and grassy hops ride atop a backdrop of soft and sweet caramel malts.

T: A mellow caramel base comes through from start to finish as the grassy hop bitterness pokes in here and there. Slightly bready.

M: Medium bodied. Noticeable carbonation. Somewhat rounded finish.

D: Fairly good. The mouthfeel is a bit thicker than the flavor matches up with. A decent classic festbier.

callmemickey, Oct 27, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

This beer poured a clear copper with a fluffy single-finger head. The scent is pretty tight, I'm only picking up a little malt and maybe some hops. The taste starts off with some sweet caramel malts that gives away to a tiny bit of malts and a pretty clean finish. The mouthfeel is a little watery, but the carbonation makes for a nice crispness. This is a very tasty Marzen, nice and sweet. Not a bad way to celebrate Oktoberfest.

TheTrevor, Oct 05, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

This amber brew has a white fizzy head that just laces the glass. Aroma is a bit off, reminds me of a pilsner with the floral hops, malts show through a little more as the beer warms, sort of biscuity. The taste is also sort of like a pilsner, but the malts do finally show through with a little bit of a fruit character. Taste is very smooth with a little sweetness at the end.

This beer grew on me as I drank it. A solid Octoberfest brew, very drinkable. But for the style, there are a lot better OFs out there.

saintwarrick, Sep 19, 2007
3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a clear dark orange/amber with a thick off white head. Laces nicely.

Lots of bread and a little bit of sweetness. Grassy and herbal.

Bready with some complimentary caramel sweetness tagging along. Lots of herbal hop.

Crisp and refreshing. Lively carbonation and a medium body.

Was surprised by this one. Green bottle scared me a bit, but this is a good'un.

MattSweatshirt, Sep 12, 2013
3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours orange-gold with 1-finger head. Decent retention, with a nice rind left behind.

Strong lager nose. Slightly sweet, with bread dominating. Lots of straw as well.

Very crisp and clean, more like a fall lager than what I would term an octoberfest. Not enough malt body for my taste. A nice crisp lagerish finish, but none of the sweetness I would expect.

It is easy to drink. Just not sure I would have more than one if other fests were available.

beer2day, Oct 15, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a clear amber/caramel color with a small head. More crisp than usual of this style. Not quite as drinkable as Paulaner's version. Herbal flavor with a maltness that is lasting. Not my favorite Oktoberfest, but still pretty good. Prosit!

BeerAngel, Sep 28, 2002
3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance: Copperish/brown color with decent foam. Clear appearance, light reflects to make a nice looking beer.

Aroma: Sweet malts, mainly. The aroma is pretty mild overall, but what I can get is the malts. Very subtle.

Taste: Malts and sweetness come through here, not too strong, but the presence is felt. Finishes pretty clean. Very little bitterness, and that comes in near the end. Alcohol taste is also not too strong either. Pretty decent, I'd say.

Mouthfeel: Light, carbonation lends itself to crispness.

Drinkability: Probably one of the lighter and sweeter Oktoberfests, and it isn't too bad (this is the only marzen I know of that is on sale year round). I remember liking this much more when I first tried it, but this time, I'm not as impressed.

kshankar, Oct 06, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Easily my favorite fest last year, I couldn't wait to try it this year. I was a little disappointed. Last year, on tap. This year, bottle. Good color, good head to start, but did not hold. No lace. Aroma was ok, again I think my expectations were too high. Good finish though, thirst quenching. I'll have it again, but I won't go out of my way.

HopheadEd, Sep 20, 2002
3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a nice copper under a thick, sticky head. Feels a mite syrupy which has the effect of drawing out the sweet malt and overpowering the bittering hops, but still balanced enough to avoid being cloying. Nose is malt and a whisper of sulfur.

I would give it all 5's if I was drinking it at the Spaten tent in Munchen, however since I'm sitting on my ass in front of a computer screen I'll just leave it at a pretty good beer. Right.

inebrius, Sep 20, 2002
3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

A - pours a nice dark bronze, head dissipates quickly

S - A bit of maltiness comes out in the smell with some herbs coming through also.

T - Well balanced taste, with a bit of sweetness showing in the malt and just enough hops to even out the flavor. However, it does have a bit too much of a bitter aftertaste.

M - Moderately carbonated, maybe a touch too much.

D - Would be a great session beer with or without food. You could definitely drink quite a lot of this beer.

Overall not bad, just a bit underwhelming.

Gish, Oct 02, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a medium dark copper color with a 1 finger off-white head that fades to a thin ring after a short time and leaves a nice amount of lacing.

Smells of grain with a slight underlying citric tone deep in the back.

Taste is very bready upfront, biscuity with some caramel. At about the middle of the sip, a small hop presence comes in to balance out the malty tone somewhat. As it warms, the taste again hits the malty side with hints of toffee into the finish.

Medium bodied with a little more carbonation than needed. An easy drinker overall, okay on its own but much better as a food pairing. This won't be at the top of my list in any category, but is nonetheless enjoyable.

Vengeance526, Feb 01, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

On tap @ Brick 29, Nampa ID. Served in a pint glass.

A: Deep dark golden honey bordering on copper, body is clear. Head is off-white and sticks all over the glass in consistent horizontal rings.

S: Malty, some toffee sweetness, toasted grain and husk, honey...maybe some faint Red Delicious apples? Wood and spice on the nose as well, with a non-sweet floral/herbal/leaf presence.

T: Crisp. Just a touch of floral hop character and bitterness. Crisp toasted caramel malt, grain/toast, that faint red apple taste...wood and nuttiness as well.

MF: Medium-light body, smooth, low carbonation.

O: Not a bad beer; my first Marzen, and while I won't be running to the beer store for 6-packs of this style I can see why people dig this.

Scotchboy, Sep 23, 2011

Notes on this review:
I believe octoberfest started today in Munich , so im raising my glass of Spaten ocktoberfestbier to that. I have read that in addition to beginning the modern lagering technique around 1830 , the custom of making reddish-bronze , malt accented lagers for oktoberfest began with Spaten. ( Micheal Jackson, Ultimate Beer)And traditionally it is the first beer to be tapped.

The beer poured a bronze color , with an in of off-white head. The aroma was malty , slightly roasty , with a hint of earthy hop. Taste is also malty , some toffee , smooth , bit of hop crispness in the finish, mildly tea-like. The mouthfeel is fairly smooth and slick. This oktoberfest is quite drinkable , would love to try it on tap at the actual celebration in Munich.

Byeast, Sep 23, 2006
3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

Bottle code date L11851 I'd take that as bottled April 2005 ...

A Classic appearance,shiny copper to bronze hue, nice collar of sandy color foam that coats the glass well.

The nose is earthy with hints of grain and bready sweetness.

A rich but not overwhelming taste of caramel malts.

A silky smooth mouthfeel that holds to the bottom of the glass. Makes this a quite drinkable beer.

The Ur Marzen claim, noting that this is the Original Marzen Oktoberfest, was new to me but since Spaten has been around since 1397 I would not doubt it.

brewQ, Sep 25, 2005
3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

Let me start by saying the appearance is the best part of this beer, copper in color nice large white head that held up nice. Smell tosted grains and caramel malts. Tast this is where this beer let me down the caremel malty sweetness just wasn't their. This beer was a little dry. All in all I am glad to see Spaten bring back the amber color octoberfest but I still feel this leves somthing to be desired.

BeerTaster, Feb 22, 2008

pours clear golden copper with a 2 finger head that faded and left no lacing

smells of lightly toasted malt and earthy hops

taste is ok - both the earthy hops and sweet/toasted grains hit your buds first and stay with you until the aftertaste which is all carmel malt

mouthfeel is good light/medium body with plenty of carbonation that gives you both a crisp and smooth feel

drinkability is solid - this is by far the best marzen from germany i have had but still the americans give you a rich robust malt flavor the germans lack

jsh420, Sep 12, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

6 pack of 12 oz bottles purchased from LaBodega in Riverside, CA for $7.99 in September 2006.

I am a big fan of Oktoberfest style of beers, and so I'm always looking for good ones. This one makes the grade, although it's not my favorite.

Pours a nice copper color with minimal head. The bottle I chose for reviewing had no carbonation or head, although others in the six pack made for a nice head in my Spaten Oktoberfest 500 ml glass.

Aroma is slightly sweet fruitiness with a nice bready malt base; and gentle hops at the end. It actually gets sweeter as the glass drains. This one has a solidly full pleasant mouthfeel, and is very quaffable. Almost dangerously so.

Dukeofearl, Sep 18, 2006