Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: Quaffer on 09-04-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,231 | Reviews: 1,097
4.33/5  rDev +20.3%

Poured into a Perfect Pint from a green bottle (protected by carton).

A=Rich reddish amber color with three finger foamy ecru head that lasted about a minute...very inviting.

S=Faint whiff of darker malt with a sweetness similar to maple syrup.

T=Rich malt flavor with a hint of hops; slightly sweet and almost salty. One of the better märzens I've had...rich, flavorful, robust.

M=Lighter body than most...almost no carbonation. Not as drinkable as one might think for a lighter body beer, due to the malt and sweetness.

O=Probably the second best märzen I've had and may be my go to down the road. I purchased this only because I had a credit at a local liquor store that had sold me some outdated beer, and I am glad I chose this one.

4.33/5  rDev +20.3%

A: Pours a dark amber/brown color with an off white head that quickly dissipates .
S: A very mild smell of sweet malt and breaded hops.
T: Nice sweet and malty taste with a small hoppy bite at the end.
M: Medium body and carbonation. Very smooth.
D: Very drinkable and delicious. I will definitely buy this again!

PS: I found a 24-pack of this at Costco for $20.72!

4.33/5  rDev +20.3%

Beautiful clear amber with a nice frothy head. Malty, sweet taste with just enough hops to balance this quite nicely. Highly drinkable and very enjoyable. Ranks very high in comparison with the other brews of this style I've been going through. Five more to go and this and Dogtoberfest are my favorites so far.

4.33/5  rDev +20.3%

First off, I can certainly say this brew will barely survive if bottled; like all offshore brews, this one will be pasteurized and zapped of its goodness before it ever touches your American lips.

However, if you can try this one on tap, unpasteurized, we're looking at a wonderful example of the Oktoberfest/Märzen style.

The appearance is impressive; rich, caramelly red that is crystal clear from a good lagering.

The smell is faint with noble hops, but dominantly caramel and malt - enough to get you wanting to dive in.

The taste and mouthfeel are where this one's at; very, very balanced, crisp, and drinkable. Not overly sweet like too many US takes on the style, not overly hopped which can ruin this style also, just good healthy amounts of malt, noble hop, at super crisp, lager levels. Very sessionable and appropriate alongside any German fare.

4.33/5  rDev +20.3%

I found this beer on tap at the Hessen Haus and can't wait to go back.

It has a nice mid-range amber color. The body was a happy medium, matching the flavor that was very pleasant. It went down smooth, smooth, smooth. Will have it when I do a "boot" there next time.

4.33/5  rDev +20.3%

I think Spaten's O’fest is great. Pours a nice dark copper color, with a nice creamy tan head that settles to a nice lace. On then nose heavy malt aroma, toasty, grainy, and slight herbal hop bitterness. On the palate the same nice malt backbone, toasty, grainy, biscuity, touch of toffee, and the slight herbal hop presents. Emm, so good... this stuff is great from tap, and almost as good from bottles...IMO

4.35/5  rDev +20.8%

Flows lite caramel, but retains head white not thick, but okay...)alright...

Beautiful malty biscuits morish smell with some whiffs of hops..

great malty. give me some more taste...
super balance & swlllability.,.. tastes of biscuits & yum..

me like it much....

4.35/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured into a Ayinger pint glass. Pours a golden/copper color with a huge head which stays around awhile. Lots of lacing on the glass. A very sweet/malty scent, tastes of grapes to me. A light to medium body. This is a great session brew, goes down very well IMHO.

4.35/5  rDev +20.8%

Decided to buy this beer in a 1/2 keg for something different. I have enjoyed the regular Spaten numerous times and thought I would try the Octoberfest brew for the holidays.

Taps an amber color with a nice head that dissapates in a few minutes. The taste is smooth and enjoyable and not too heavy.

It is really an enjoyable beer and would recommend it to anyone. My friends and family will enjoy it when they come to visit.

4.39/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Apparently this beer is not the same as the Oktoberfest Ur-Märzen by Spaten. Its colour isn't dark or amber, but golden and very clear; it has a moderate white head and just a few big bubbles of carbonation.

Smells great, of herbal hops and malt, both in a grainy and a caramel-like sense. Some gentle fruity notes come through on the side, as well as a little yeast. A lot hoppier and less caramelesque than other Maerzen's that I've encountered.

Tastes nice and sweet in the beginning and moves into a dry and hoppy/herbal flavor afterwards. Finishes pretty clean with the hops still effective. Quite delicious and juicy.

Medium-bodied and a smooth mouthfeel, crisp to the palate and very easy to enjoy.

4.4/5  rDev +22.2%

Reviewed from notes, 10/06, super fresh Costco case.

It's up; it's down. It must know I'm thirsty.

Nice amber color, but so clear & crisp looking. The beer is still plenty cold, but I won't wait.

Good mix of apricots, raisins, & sugar cookies. Alcohol is evident, but the richness more so. Experiences may vary; adjust accordingly. :D

Lightly roasted, but quite malty. A little smoke surrounds it all. Maybe a little copper in there, maybe. There's less then half of a bitter buzz on the end, which rounds it off really nicely. The alcohol leaves a trail, but runs real thin.

These bottles go down really, really, easy. Wow, I don't remember having refills. Has just a tad more body then your average ale, but not much at all. Really nice & really easy. Do I use the word "really" alot?

Yummy. :)

4.4/5  rDev +22.2%

Poured a crystal clear amber orange with a minimal off-white head.

The aroma is of a clean maltiness upfront with hop aroma (possibly Saaz?) making an appearance in the background.

The taste is very clean and balanced between malt sweetness and hop bitterness.

Mouth feel is very light-bodied with light carbonation that combines to make this an extremely easy-drinking beer. Being a fan of "malt-forward" beers, I really like this one.

4.4/5  rDev +22.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Gilde Rastkeller Edel Pils glass, which is of the wider mouthed, fluted variety. The original Oktoberfestbier is a dark, clear copper with a moderate effervescence providing a small off-white head that leaves light lace.

The aroma is bready cereal grain, slightly toasted with a bit of sulfur and floral hop background. Classic Märzen is unmistakable.

Taste is of course very malty and fairly sweet and lightly toasted, with fairly aggressive, fruity esters for a lager, yet still crisp and finishes somewhat dry. I've always been a big fan of this style, and Spaten's offereing in particular. Maybe not the most complex, but balanced and very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is on the sharper side, with a medium body.

Drinkablity is very high for me. I've enjoyed many a crisp fall afternoon throwing these back by the 6 pack, they go great with BBQ. Enough booze to make it worthwhile but still let me getaway with having a few more then I probably should!

4.42/5  rDev +22.8%

I was very impressed by this Ofest. I had a couple while watching football this weekend and they stole the show from the rest of the beers I quaffed. Nice amber color with little head. The aroma was sweet malt, with very faint hops. The flavor was a sweet, fruity malt that kept me going back for more. Mouthfeel was smooth, with long lasting flavor. My favorite Ofest, with Hacker-Pschorr coming in second.

4.42/5  rDev +22.8%

Super clear bronze hue. As with most German brews, it has a thick head. Toasty, bready, raisiny & complex maltniess make for a wonderful but not overpowering malt aroma. Medium in body. Slightly sweet in flavor w/ toasty malt flavors. The decoction mashing produced complex and almost fruity (prune - like?) melanoidins that are highly enjoyable. Hops are minimal in presence, but do balance the sweetness sufficiently and prevent it from becoming cloying. finishes a bit sweet w/ a biscuity malt flavor on the tongue. Spaten's Oktoberfest is all around around balanced excellently. Its cleaner in malt profile than its "rival" Paulaner, and is thus more drinkable.

4.43/5  rDev +23.1%

Pours a great copper color.

Not the biggest aroma going, but what was there had some light malt going on.

Flavor wise, the malt is more pronounced up front than I would have expected from the aroma, but it finishes with more of a hoppy bitter flavor. Not the kick-you-in-the-teeth Octoberfest I've found more and more common from some of the American breweries, and more smooth drinking and easily approachable than some of its comparable imported brethren.

For a little context, even though its available year round, I wait till the first weekend of fall every year and go to town on this beer. Definately one of my favorites, on tap or in the bottle, in terms of easy-drinking crowd-pleasing Octoberfest.

4.44/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz green bottle from Tiger Town in Gardiner. Pours translucent amber-red with a slight chill haze and almost no head. Smells like toffee and leafy European hops. Tastes malty, with a toasty toffee character and continental hops playing a supporting role. Not overpowering. Very well balanced, delicate full flavor. Medium somewhat creamy body with a fair bit of carbonation. I am impressed. My expectations were not high but this is one of the better octoberfestbiers I've had. Not as rich as Ayinger or Paulaner, this one is still a really solid and easy to find choice. Very drinkable. I could easily polish off a sixer of this without thinking twice. A new favorite!

4.45/5  rDev +23.6%

This is one of those classic German lagers that are designed to be drunk all day long. It combines a light malty flavor and light noble hop flavor to create a highly drinkable product.

It pours a light brown color. The smell and initial taste are of burnt Munich malt, but in a good way. I love beers made with decoction mashing! The malt flavor is wonderful and is properly balanced with the hops. It goes down lager-smooth and there is no hint of alcohol. I'm so happy this brew is sold by the case and appears at my local Costco every fall. I feel that if beers like this were more widely available to the average BMC drinker, we would see a massive shift away from brewers chruning out yellow fizzy water and see more exploration of this style.

4.46/5  rDev +23.9%

Served from tap into a beautiful, bodacious one LITER "glass" which resembled a small fishtank complete with one inch "bubbles" embedded into the side of the glass at Winking Lizard in Mentor, Ohio. This glass even had the awesome SPATEN name and symbol printed on the glass opposite the handle. Very cool!

A Really could not be better for an Oktoberfestbier. Medium brown translucent body with one inch head. The glass was the "bubble circle" glass sytle and huuuuge.

S No strong or obvious smell, some malt, some hops.

T Wonderful. Malty, the right amount of hops. This is really a great oktoberfest. I wish that other breweries had tasted this and took as many cues as they are able.

M Great, Medium to thin mouthfeel which is perfect for the style.

D Great as well. I had a liter of this stuff over a period of 90 minutes. While I could not order a second one I believe that these first 3-4 beers (if divided by 12 oz) is plenty. Really, very drinkable.

Notes: The best oktoberfest (and why not, from Munich and one of the sponsors of the real Oktoberfest!) I have had. It will be difficult (if not impossible) to surpass its wonderful balance, simplicity, drinkability. Bravo!

4.47/5  rDev +24.2%

as it says on my page marzen Oktoberfest is my favorite style of beer. This one pours a nice golden yellow and has a medium head that is full hop and malt aroma. When you taste it your thirst is gone it is a great balance of malt to bitter and is light enough where you can have multiple and have room for more great beer.

4.47/5  rDev +24.2%

A - brilliant clear amber body with thick egg shell white head. Minimal lacing, medium head retention.

S - malty sweetness throughout. No hop aroma at all. Slight honey smell to the aroma.

T - malty sweetness throughout again. Very slight noble hop flavor towards the end. Maybe a bit of a mineral taste.

M - medium bodied with no alcohol burn and a very sight carbonation bite.

O - a very good example of an Oktoberfest. Very malty with minimal amounts of hops. No complaints here.

4.47/5  rDev +24.2%

Burnt brown color, pours with minimal head. Cross between burnt toast and caramel in the aroma. Avery full and awesome scent. Thee same characteristics in the aroma come through in the taste. There is also just enough hop present to balance out the flavor, Beer rest slightly tart like on the palate, but finishes very smoothly. Overall, and excellent oktoberfest.

4.48/5  rDev +24.4%

I last reviewed this brew in 2006, figure maybe it's time for an update now that Spaten is getting this to Northern Illinois year-round* -- and the latest batch seems to be a darn good one.

A -- Deep, clear copper color with a dense, long-lasting, off-white head. I recall last year's seasonal Okto being much lighter than this, almost orange -- this appears to be the Spaten I remember of old.

S -- A good balance of toasty malts and spicy hops. Though subdued, still pretty rich for a lager.

T -- Big, rich, sweet bready malts up front with just a vague hint of spicy hops. Finishes with that spiciness and leaves a lingering breadiness that fades to a dry malty note.

M -- Medium body with a soft, smooth mouthfeel.

D -- Highly drinkable -- the style was made for just that, and Spaten is the original of the style. To me, this beer has come back around after falling a little flat in the past few years. It's the Okto Märzen of old that I remember drinking in Munich 20 years ago.

*Mistakenly mislead by a retailer who was talking out of his a**

4.5/5  rDev +25%

Good Oktoberfest bier, but not my favorite.

4.5/5  rDev +25%

I love Oktoberfest beers and this one is the best of them. Though it's better some years than others, I always drink plenty of it. Might have been a little lacking this year, as a matter of fact, but I still love it.

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu