Microbrew Invitational

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Added by Quaffer on 09-04-2001

Reviews: 1,114 | Ratings: 2,418
4.27/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured an orange-copper color with a tight, white head on top. Aroma was bread-like and sweet; almost fruity.

Wow! I was surprised at how smooth and flavorful this one is. There is a sweet, toasted flavor, along with hints of caramel and marshmallow. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and carbonated perfectly. Slight alcohol flavor as the beer warmed. It's not the most complex beer in the world, but it's an easy drinker with enough flavor to keep me coming back for more.

4.27/5  rDev +19.9%

The beer pours an amber color with a nice white lace head. The aroma is exceptional. It has the smell of a good lager, but with the slightest amount of crystal malts to add color and a bit of sweetness. The taste is great. It isn't too plain or too bold. There is a fine balance here. The mouthfeel is awesome. It is a low/medium bodied beer with the right amount of carbonation. This is a great drinking beer; one of the best Octoberfests I've ever had.

4.28/5  rDev +20.2%

had this from my very own 1/2 barrel in my kegerator...

A: A great looking bier with a darker amber color than most. A decent foam head that stayed for over 4 minutes and had immeidate and constant lacing.
S: Sweet maltiness,nutmeg, minimal spices.
T: A real full taste that follows the aroma well. A little watered down but much better than the american versions I have tasted recently.
M: Very enjoyable; full taste and mouthfeel. Sounds funny.
D: All day long...

I have had the pleasure of drinking a version of this bier at Oktoberfest and it is even better there. In keg and bottle form, it still is one of the best fest biers around. I strongly recommend it. Prosit.

4.29/5  rDev +20.5%

Spaten Oktoberfest Ur-Marzen

No date, but I bought this bottle in February, if that tells you anything. I poured it in a chilled beer mug, but I might have done better with a stein to better capture the aromas.

A - I got less head than other reviewers here, which makes me further suspect that this might be an older bottle. Head was off-white, but there wasn't much of it, and retention was poor. Color is dark amber, with good clarity. Not a bad looking beer.

S - My beer smells awesome - none of the skunk others have noted. If this is an old bottle, I can't imagine how this would smell off tap. Lots of malt and noble hops.

T - Boom! Tons of malt and hops flavor. By George, it tastes like beer!!! The flavors are solid and straight-forward: strong Munich malt backbone, and some caramel for color and flavor. Hallertau hops is a safe guess, no mystery there. I'm pretty sure I could brew this beer from the flavors alone.

M - Nice mouthfeel. Crisp and dry enough to be refreshing, but with enough body to let you kmnow you've got something worthwhile. Smooth, with enough carbonation to feel it all over your mouth, but not dominating the nouthfeel.

D - Drinkable? Oh, yeah! Smooth, satisfying, refreshing, and delicious. I will be buying more of this brew. I'll also be doing my best to imitate it with my next batch. Good stuff!

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: Deep amber orange with lots of rising bubbles. Solid four fingers of off white head with good retention. Decent amount of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Aroma of caramel malts with some toffee. Lots of wheat grains. Some lager yeast adds some spice. Light hints of nuts and earthy hops. No skunk smell which is impressive for a green bottle.

Taste: Lots of lightly toasted caramel malts with some toffee and apple flavors. Biscuit and some lager yeast. Nice hints of nuts and spice. Mild earthy hop bitterness in the finish. Caramel malts stand out as expected. Pretty tasty.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation. Creamy, chewy, and very smooth.

Overall: A very solid Marzen. Very bready and fairly sweet.

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Poured a coppery amber color. One and a half finger off white head showed some medium retention. Some light lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Caramel malts dominate this beer for me. Toasted malts come into play as well toward the middle of aroma with a light floral hop in the ending.

T- Caramel malts dominate most of the flavor with a touch of biscuit in the middle. Light floral hops show up a bitterness that makes the beer more balanced. Simple and to the point.

M- Medium light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Caramel malts left on the palate and continue long into the aftertaste. Flavors are crisp and clean. Alcohol has no real drying on the palate which is nice. Everything is well balanced flavor wise to say the least.

D- This beer is highly drinkable. The ABV on this is a little higher but it goes down smooth. I really enjoyed this beer a lot and well it was easy to drink the whole sixer of. I think of this being the defining Oktoberfest beer to me.

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%

Over a year and a half ago, this beer got me and my friends into craft beer. We've tried a ton of great beers since then, and we were expecting Spaten Oktoberfest to not be as good to us now as it was sometime ago. Boy were we wrong:

A: Poured from a bottle into a Hofbrau stein glass. Appears a deep amber with an off white head with good retention and lacing. This beer looks beautiful... well shit.

S: AND the nose is great to boot. Loads and loads of malty goodness with some light herbal hops.

T: As the nose suggests: malty. Caramel predominates along with some nutty and fruity flavors leading to a semi-dry finish with a light, crisp herbal hoppiness. Malt flavors coat the entire mouth and leave a delicious glaze on the tongue.

M: Despite the sticky malt flavors, the body isn't heavy and the carbonation is relatively low, which suits the beer very well.

O: We owe Spaten Oktoberfest an apology for expecting any form of disappointment. This nostalgic beer is the best oktoberfest I've ever drank! Will definitely get this more in the future.

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%

This beer was the second beer I ever reviewed for this site. I felt it would be good to review it again now that I have much more experience reviewing beers than I did the first time around reviewing this. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my pint glass. This beer pours a clear deep amber copper color. The head is a good inch thick when poured before quickly settling to a thin surface layer with a nice white ring lining the inside of the glass and some nice lace. There are lots of little bubbles rising up to the top of the glass. Has a malty, bready aroma with bits of caramel and floral hops also present. The taste is also malty and sweet upfront with the aforementioned hints of caramel and is nicely followed by some floral and slightly citrusy hops. Has a crisp, full bodied mouthfeel with moderate to high carbonation. Very easy to drink the way a great beer should be!

Eric

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%

One of the six official breweries of Oktoberfest in Germany.

When I first tried the 2005 version of this beer I thought it was "skunky"...

I fell in love with the 2006 brewing and have enjoyed a Mas Krug full on the 1st day of the Munich Oktoberfest every year since.

L - deep amber color with a nice white head.

S - it smells good, sweet and malty.

T - this is a true German Oktoberfestbier, slightly sweet caramel malt taste, then a bit of Euro-hop biterness on the back end.

F - medium bodied with a smooth feel.

D - I think you can drink more than a few of these in a sitting. Hell, it's an Oktoberfest beer, put another brat on the bbq and pour me another beer!

October 2010 - new packaging and IMO still an outstanding Oktoberfestbier.

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%

This beer suprised me, After drinking the spaten optimator, I wasn't really expecting somthing like this from Spaten. It is a lighter colored beer, with a very refreshing, hoppy scent to it. A nice clean taste then kinda bites you as you finish off the last drink. Definatly wouldn't mind getting a 6 pack of this and enjoying at home.

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%

On-tap at Red Lion Tavern in Silverlake, CA.

Appearance: A two finger off-white head stays on top of the clear copper body until the last few ounces of the glass.

Smell: The nose has a rich toasted malts.

Taste: The flavor profile starts out with sweet toasted malts and finishes with dry hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: It's medium-bodied and creamy with soft carbonation.

Drinkability: This is so much better on draft.

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%

This beer pours a nice transparent deep golden amber color with 2 fingers of head that fall to about a finger of head before I start drinking it. The nose is a nice light, sweet caramel. The flavor is very much the same, being rather sweet on the finish. Of the Oktoberfest beers I've had recently, this is a nice one. I really like it. The mouthfeel is just bordering on the lower limit of thick. I could sit down to a six of this beer easily.

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- highly effervescent with a white head on top, clear copper body, a little dark for the style but perfectly delicious looking

S- very malty, very delicious smelling, loaded with some melanoiden type flavors. slightly sweet, no hops noticable.

T- very malty, full of the above compounds, very flavorful for the strength. a great example. slightly grainy character.

M- thick bodied, high carbonation

D- now this is a fest beer. wish it came in a brown bottle

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%

A: Excellent copper color, with a pale tan head that reduces to a creamy top.

S: Very floral and grainy aroma. Caramel and chocolate linger afterwards. There is also some citrus near the back end.

T: Creamy, sweet taste hits up front. Not bitter, but some hop flavors come through in this beer. Orange citrus flavor adds a good compliment to the sweetness.

M: Very creamy. Medium bodied and smooth with a dry finish.

O: I love marzens, and I'm usually critical of them if they don't pass. This is a great marzen.

4.32/5  rDev +21.3%

Poured from the tap into a pint glass.

The color is a deep gold with a foamy white head. Some nice lacing.

The smell is a bit caramel, some wheat and malt flavors and a bit sugary.

The taste is of caramel and cinammon. There is also so bitter fruit flavors as well.

One of the better Oktoberfest beers, is very flavorful and has a nice feel to it. Drinkability is pretty smooth and goes down easy.

4.32/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a beer glass.

A: Great dark amber look. Okay head and decent lacing.

S: Sweet smelling beer. Good Oktoberfest smell.

T: Great tasting beer. Very smooth and tasty.

M: Smooth and great.

D: This beer has still been one of my favorite all time Oktoberfests. Just a great smooth malty taste.

4.32/5  rDev +21.3%

This is a tasty, lightly bitter oktoberfest.

Amber copper, it has a huge off-white head that shrinks very slowly and leaves good lacing, although I have also had a bottle with a small head no no lace.

The aroma is very nice, caramelly toasted bread and grain, bread crust, dry grass, pine, herb, apple, nuts, hay.

The taste is similar, caramelly toasted grain and bread, leaves, hints of herbs, pine, and stewed apples, and a nutty-leafy bitterness just dominating the finish and balancing the sweetness. The body is a little thin compared to some but the flavour is nice with some complexity, and it's tingly, lively, and very easy to drink.

4.33/5  rDev +21.6%

Poured into a Perfect Pint from a green bottle (protected by carton).

A=Rich reddish amber color with three finger foamy ecru head that lasted about a minute...very inviting.

S=Faint whiff of darker malt with a sweetness similar to maple syrup.

T=Rich malt flavor with a hint of hops; slightly sweet and almost salty. One of the better märzens I've had...rich, flavorful, robust.

M=Lighter body than most...almost no carbonation. Not as drinkable as one might think for a lighter body beer, due to the malt and sweetness.

O=Probably the second best märzen I've had and may be my go to down the road. I purchased this only because I had a credit at a local liquor store that had sold me some outdated beer, and I am glad I chose this one.

4.33/5  rDev +21.6%

A: Pours a dark amber/brown color with an off white head that quickly dissipates .
S: A very mild smell of sweet malt and breaded hops.
T: Nice sweet and malty taste with a small hoppy bite at the end.
M: Medium body and carbonation. Very smooth.
D: Very drinkable and delicious. I will definitely buy this again!

PS: I found a 24-pack of this at Costco for $20.72!

4.33/5  rDev +21.6%

Beautiful clear amber with a nice frothy head. Malty, sweet taste with just enough hops to balance this quite nicely. Highly drinkable and very enjoyable. Ranks very high in comparison with the other brews of this style I've been going through. Five more to go and this and Dogtoberfest are my favorites so far.

4.33/5  rDev +21.6%

First off, I can certainly say this brew will barely survive if bottled; like all offshore brews, this one will be pasteurized and zapped of its goodness before it ever touches your American lips.

However, if you can try this one on tap, unpasteurized, we're looking at a wonderful example of the Oktoberfest/Märzen style.

The appearance is impressive; rich, caramelly red that is crystal clear from a good lagering.

The smell is faint with noble hops, but dominantly caramel and malt - enough to get you wanting to dive in.

The taste and mouthfeel are where this one's at; very, very balanced, crisp, and drinkable. Not overly sweet like too many US takes on the style, not overly hopped which can ruin this style also, just good healthy amounts of malt, noble hop, at super crisp, lager levels. Very sessionable and appropriate alongside any German fare.

4.33/5  rDev +21.6%

I found this beer on tap at the Hessen Haus and can't wait to go back.

It has a nice mid-range amber color. The body was a happy medium, matching the flavor that was very pleasant. It went down smooth, smooth, smooth. Will have it when I do a "boot" there next time.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is the quintessential Oktoberfest. Its beautiful red appearance is followed with its sweet aroma and mild finish. My one knock on the beer is it is hard to drink more than a couple since it is quite filing.

4.33/5  rDev +21.6%

I think Spaten's O’fest is great. Pours a nice dark copper color, with a nice creamy tan head that settles to a nice lace. On then nose heavy malt aroma, toasty, grainy, and slight herbal hop bitterness. On the palate the same nice malt backbone, toasty, grainy, biscuity, touch of toffee, and the slight herbal hop presents. Emm, so good... this stuff is great from tap, and almost as good from bottles...IMO

4.34/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours brown amber with a voluminous cream head. Not picking up the grassy floral aroma others have described, all I get is caramel and grain. Tastes like an oktoberfest should, smooth and sessionable without any detractions on the palate. Many U.S. versions of this style are over hopped or too much malt. They try to be different but they are missing the point.

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu