Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-MärzenSpaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: Quaffer on 09-04-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,108 | Hads: 2,389
2.32/5  rDev -34.8%

We were excited about the legitimacy of a real Marzen from a real Germany. The look was promising, typical Oktoberfest, light amber and clear. Not much head or carbonation. The residual did not cling to the glass like an ex-girlfriend (BA-ZING!). The basic smell-malty. A woodshop memory also sprang into our minds. However, the inability of the smell to resonate brought the first disappointment of this beer. Upon first taste, I was convinced that there might have been a Munich, Ohio. This Oktoberfest is a very malty beer, and only if you let the flavors linger will you taste a hoppiness. The beer itself was not very carbonated, and did not sit on the palate at all (much like how the smell didn't resonate). Justin was very disappointed due to his travels and beerperiences in Germany. Despite the shortcomings, this beer would not disappoint an experienced Oktoberfest-er. Though it is not a special beer, it is a solid, basic beer, that is not at all bad tasting. It has a light body, and a pleasant smell, albeit fleeting. Taking that into consideration, we rate this beer drinkable. We expected more from a Munich Oktooberfest, as this beer was more of a late August/early September-fest. Much too basic, but a good general idea. A little more editing and this beer could be something amazing. Better luck next time.

2.36/5  rDev -33.7%

Poured from a green bottle with no packaging date.

A: A very pretty beer. It is a light copper color and crystal clear. The head is very minimal to non-existent and leaves on lacing on the glass.
S: Sulfur with no hop aroma. Typical lager nose.
T: One word: Skunked! When will I ever learn not to buy green bottle beers. I keep hoping to find a decent one but no luck again. I don't think I will finish this one!! Just have enough to finish this review. Why do imports even come in green bottles?
M: Actually very good if I can get by the skunk taste. Medium body with just enough carbonation to give a creamy feeling in the back of the throat.
D: Were it not for the skunking I could probably have several of these but if they are all like this one, no thanks.

2.46/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pours a light amber/copper with average head that disappears completely.

Smell is sweet malt, european macro? Nothing as strong as Heineken, but a little sour.

Taste has too much of a sweet malt flavor, bordering on those 40 ounce malts. It also has a creamy flavor with hints of decent caramel.

It's a little flat.

I feel like I could score the same with a cheaper, american failure, than going for an import of this stature. I will probably never try this again. Maybe I had this a served too warm. It was the last of a quick 6-pack outside the fridge. However, that is usually a sign of poor beer that needs to be served iced cold.

2.47/5  rDev -30.6%

Presentation: 12oz bottle (production code of L 18471 C) in a thumbprint Seidel

BAside: it seems odd to have a German Oktoberfest with the words "MALT LIQUOR" on the label...

Poured crisp, clean, true. Ugh....not a very pleasing nose. To be honest this smells like a typical canned macro. Dry, astringent, slightly metallic, a little sour, maybe some mildly burnt caramel. Head was a nice pencil's worth of loose & mixed, pale ivory foam that steadily settled to a see-through sheen with a bubbled edge ring. The slightly hazed body is classic Marzen - penny copper orange, warm like good honey. Damn shame it doesn't have an appealing aroma.

It tastes better than it smells, but it still has some mild, canned macro quality. Slightly burnt caramelized malts slide under a semi-dry, crisp astringency that is a ween bit spoiled/sour, with some noticeable metallic & phenolic aspects. Hops are timid & mildly bitter. I'm not really sure what is exactly going on here. I've enjoyed some nice Marzens, but this has an odd aspect to it, a can lining quality that I just can't shake.

Growing drier & lighter on the palate, it finishes crisp but a little phenolic with a nice, sharpening spiciness, leaving a clean yet cloying aftertaste.

I had Mrs. BuckSpin confirm the nose. Her words - "Natural Ice in a can", so I know its not me. It is very possible I got a bad bottle, but in that I have nothing to compare it to I am going with what I experienced. Let me put it this way - if this was a Macro Lager it would be a pretty decent one, but as a Marzen this was not enjoyable. I will definitely try this again next year to see if I did catch a bad one, but until then I cannot recommend this. This was one of the most disappointing & generic tasting imports I've ever had. Very bummed. Omm-pah-pah at your own risk.

2.51/5  rDev -29.5%

Appearance: 2" off white head recedes quickly leaving moderate lacing. Amber/light brown color with mild carbonation bubbles streaming
Aroma: hop spice in the aroma and some bread but overall a mild aroma with a slight skunk Mouthfeel: between light and medium bodied, watery, slightly chewy, with a mostly dry finish Flavor: some caramel flavor but the hops dominate through the taste
Overall: good but not great. I am a little disappointed as I normally love the Marzen style and I hoped that this authentic brew from Munich would be the best I ever had. Perhaps my expectations were too high. Caveats: this was a green bottle with no bottling date. I would love to be able to try this beer fresh in Germany and then render another review. I just felt the beer lacked what I normally enjoy in this style (a malty, caramel dominance), instead the hops seemed to dominate.

2.52/5  rDev -29.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a tumbler glass.

Appearance: Clear brown. Looks like a marzen should.

Smell: Smells a little skunky. Can't smell much else.

Taste: Strong skunky flavor. Took a while to get beyond the skunky flavor. Eventually got some bitter hops and caramel flavor. Very delicious once I got past the skunk flavor. I think Spaten might want to consider using brown bottles. Apparently Spaten turns a little bad in the time it takes to get it to America.

2.52/5  rDev -29.2%

Brown half litre bottle, best before Oct 2010, so a 2009 brew!

Very pale for a Marzen, very pale indeed, looks like a normal lager/helles/pilsner, golden with a pure white head. This is my second O'Fest beer of the little O'Fest I'm having tonight.

Almost odourless, gets my standard score of 3 for a non-smelling lager/pilsner.

Tastes like a pilsner which has had sugar added to make it stronger in its ABV. No great flavours or points to pontificate about, un-impressed.

I've been to Munich many times, including 8 O'Fests, this bottled beer bears no resemblance to the draught Marzens I've had from Spaten over the years. Reminded me of sugared water.

2.52/5  rDev -29.2%

Consumed during mammoth Oktoberfest beer tasting.

A - orangey yellow, solid white head. It looked like a cliche beer picture.
S - Definitely skunked, the green bottle being the likely culprit. The bottle was purchased at Nikki's Liquors in Providence, RI, and i assume that they have above average bottle handling...
T - Skunky! And a much too similar to helles end of the spectrum than the punchy hops and deep malt of the typical Oktoberfest. Definitely a beer constructed for high volume intake.
M - I believe it was a bit creamier that anticipated, but it still had a carbonation tingle that i expect of a lighter bodied version of the Marzen style.
D - Without the skunking, the presentation alone says 'drink me! i am festbier!' But as it was skunked and out of place on a Rhode Island kitchen table surrounded by superior competition, it does not find success in this area.

2.52/5  rDev -29.2%

Very clear tan with a subtle amber hue, topped with a one-finger dense just off-white head that subsides to a thin layer, leaving rings of lacing behind. Nose is crisp and sweet malt, but very shy. Body is more impressive with a gentle carbonation through a medium-thin body that makes you want to chew it.

Taste is bland, to be honest. Sweet caramel back bone dominates the palate, with breadiness somehow coming through, slightly nutty, and hops are nowhere to be seen, until the finish. Crisp with the pils, but still comes out tasting like a macro. It's drinkable insofar as it is inoffensive.

I don't know if this is supposed to be very traditional, but compared to contemporary offerings, doesn't quite stand up. I was also fortunate to not have a skunked bottle, but I'd prefer they fix that issue.

2.53/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The aroma is redolent of hops and an odd fruit/grain scent. Initial mouthfeel is lightly carbonated, medium body, sweet malt and an unidentifiable acidic bite that carries on over to the after taste, which stays in your mouth way too long. There are much better Oktoberfest beers out there.

2.54/5  rDev -28.7%

Poured a beautiful, frothy head which slightly dissipated into a thicker formation. Extreme carbonation exploding through an amber orange beer that is totally clear. Aroma is of a slight toastiness with carmelly sweetness. Taste is ok with a nice toasted malt flavor, carmel tones, and a hop balance. Yet there is a definite problem with this beer as it has a weird bitterness that i thought wasn't supposed to be in this style. Fininshes clean and with a little flavor due to the body. A good beer to try along with others of this style in order to have some contrast as this beer is not spectacular but it is not horrible either.

2.56/5  rDev -28.1%

A- Poured an orangeish copper. Seems a bit light in color, Lots of carbonation, but head falls fast and doesn't lace a bit.

S- Almost no malt smell. Its mostly carbonation. When shoving the nose deep in the glass there is a faint smell of caramel malt.

T- A bit better then teh smell but still lacks quite a bit. It has a very light caramel malt taste, finish is non existent.

B- Very Light, too light.

O- Disappointing Oktoberfest. Not much in the way of taste.

2.56/5  rDev -28.1%

12oz bottle emptied into an octoberfest mug. No dating on the bottle, but it's green glass so it must be premium (boo).

A- pours a rusty gold (a bit dark). Solid 2-finger head. Loses a half point for the bottle's appearance.

S- Mild skunkiness and noble hop bitterness drowns out the malts. Is this a marzen?

T- closer to a euro adjunct lager than a marzen. Skunky and bitter. Hints of toast malts on the back end, but well hidden.

M- slick, good body for the style, goes down smooth.

O- Green bottle should have been a red light on this one. A pretty disappointing offering from a solid brewery.

2.57/5  rDev -27.8%

A: pours a really dark orange/copper with a brown hue. There is a 1 finger white head that dissipates to about a millimeter very quickly

S: To me this smells more like a German pils than an Oktoberfest. There is a vegetal and grassy hop aroma laced over top the classic bready and biscuit notes. The hops are distracting and take away from the maltiness which should be the focus

T: You can catch a non-complex bread flavor but it is mixed with the same grassy hop that was in the aroma. this flavor is muting out the maltiness

M: Rather slick and thin for what I normally find in an oktoberfest. The beer finishes with a cloying sweetness

D: For me (and I think for most) an Oktoberfest-Marzen is about a complex maltiness. This beer has an aroma and flavor that profiles german hops. Not a good example of the style in my opinion.

2.57/5  rDev -27.8%

Pours a light amber hue with a big frothy white head.... looks appealing.

Smells skunked.... a definite downside to having green bottles.... smells like Becks... ugh.... if the beer tastes like it smells it might find its way down my drain.

OK.... it doesnt taste AS bad as it smells, but its certainly not good. I'm going to force myself to drink this.... hoping that some additional flavour is going to come through as it warms. Still skunky... the malt is weird tasting... not well balanced.... pretty crappy all around.

Well... the mouthfeel is at least moderately decent.... tongue coating, but not too active sadly.

I have no desire to drink another of these for as long as I may live.
The Dos Equis and Becks drinkers will love this one. For those of you out there who prefer a decent Oktoberfest, try the Paulaner or H-S.

2.58/5  rDev -27.5%

beer pours a cloudy brownish amber color

aroma - skunk, grass, caramel

taste - typical import 'skunk' flavor with hints of caramel and malt

mouthfeel - bitter, sour, decent carbonation, none of the traditional sweetness toward the back of the palate on this

drinkability - very disappointed by this as i've had it on tap, which was so much better, avoid this as there are several representations of the style which are superior

2.58/5  rDev -27.5%

Spaten Oktoberfestbier, ABV: 5.9%.
500 ml bottle, 19.90 SEK at Systembolaget.

A: The liquid is clear straw yellow in colour. The head is white and soapy, but rather big and stubborn. The retention is decent.

S: Malty aromas with notes of sour dough, grass, lemons and banana candy.

T: Flavours of bread, butter, grass, alcohol, banana candy and some citric notes. An odd sweetness in the aftertaste.

M: Medium-sized body and bitterness. The liquid is kind of sticky and honey-ish, with some edginess from carbonation and alcohol.

O: This is the third German so called 'Märzen' that doesn't impress me. They seem to me like nothing but average Euro Lagers with a slightly higher alcohol content - and to me they don't have enough body and character to sustain that. The flavours just get weird.

(Notes from yesterday.)

2.59/5  rDev -27.2%

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint glass. No bottled date recognized.

(A)- Pours a clear brown amber. Produces a white foamy head, but quickly dissipated.

(S)- Lightly sweetened honey and corn husk.

(T)- Lightly dry with a sweet, yet almost sour malty taste of honey/maple with corn.

(M)- Good carbonation level, however, every other part of the beer is rather bland.

(D)- An alright beer, it just really has nothing going for it. Yes, it has flavor, but not much. Fine for a session, but just a tad too sweet to be enjoyed one after another. There are much better examples of the style than this one.

2.59/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Beer is a copper color. Throws out a medium sized white head that is well retained. The appearance of this beer is about the last positive aspect about it. Some light toasted malt on the nose. Taste is a bit toasty and caramelly. But there's a slight off flavor. Almost like a skunkiness. Overly sweet. Medium bodied and a bit syrupy due to lack of carbonation. The worst Ofest I've had this year.

I had a hard time writing this review since I just had Spaten Octoberfest on tap at a Bavarian Gast Haus last weekend and thought it was pretty good. I didn't write a review for the tap version, but would guess it to be in the 3.5-4.0 range.

2.61/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass
A: 3/4 finger off white head with poor retention. Clear copper colored liquid. More head please.
S: Skunky macro-lager smell floating over caramel malt. Grain comes through more when warmer.
T: Sweet, fair hops. Good quality macro lager flavor, but still tastes like a macro lager
M: Decent
D: No thanks on another, and I won't buy again. Does go down easy.

2.61/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Purchased from Great Spirits, Huntsville, AL.

Pours a nice brown-tinged amber color with a nice large bubbly head. Looks very clear, no visible sediment anywhere -- a nice, if unexeceptional, pour.

This has an odd scent and taste to it, almost like a pilsener in quality. At first I thought that my bottles were old or skunked, but I think that the aroma and flavor that I detect is in some combination of the malt and the hops -- the Spaten Premium has some of the same flavors, and I assume that both sixers couldn't have been skunked. A roasted flavor is available to the tongue (although not to the nose), which makes it okay, but the aftertaste has a negative "mouthwash" flavor, which makes me give it a fairly low score there.

This has a thin, somewhat watery mouthfeel that actually works in the beer's favor, as it means that the flavor doesn't stick around quite as long. Perhaps a backhanded compliment, but here I'd rather have a thin mouthfeel, as it means that the beer is easily quaffed.

Overall drinkability is low, as I find this beer to be fairly unpleasant to drink, and I don't find myself looking for another one once I finish the first one. I worry that perhaps this batch is just old -- I may try to find this one again this fall and try it in a single or on-tap, because I think that this may not taste quite the way the brewer intended. Still, if this is what it's meant to taste like, I'd recommend that you get the Paulaner Oktoberfest instead -- a much more satisfying brew that doesn't have the negatives of the Spaten.

A shame, since the Spaten-made Franziskaner Hefe-Weiss is one of my favorite brews.

2.63/5  rDev -26.1%

Poured from the bottle a copper red with about a finger of white head. At first the nose is plain like any old lager, but it picks up a little dry, wheaty note and the aroma of pale malts. The beer is bready and sweeter on the tongue, which is more reminiscent of the style, happily. A slightly bitter finish keeps the mouthfeel clean, but also limts the enjoyment of any sweet flavor I had picked up.

A little thinner in body than I would have liked, and I'm not sold on the bitterness of the finish. Just average, for me.

2.64/5  rDev -25.8%

A housewarming present!

Orangey brown with a decent white head. Poopy retention. Aroma is on the nutty side of toasted malt with some hop leaf and wet firewood.

Has a styrofoam and diet cream soda element that permeates the taste. I spent most of this beer trying to figure out what that off flavor was and how to describe it. That's what I came up with.

Seems more watery and blase to warrant a %5.9 abv.

2.65/5  rDev -25.6%

Spaten has long held a reputation of being a beer of the highest quality. Something that even the most discriminating of beer drinkers would enjoy. Of all the Spaten products, one has stood out among the rest for its stellar reputation. That beer is the Oktoberfestbier.
As much as I hate to give a bad review to a beer that I wanted to love so much, I have to do it.
The pour was nothing much more that a disappiontment. Clear golden colour with nothing more than a few bubbles sitting at the top for effect. There was also a slight fizzy carbonation thing working here. Nothing to be over impressed by.
The aroma was almost nonexistant. a slight caramel malty scent, but I could just barely detect anything at all. The taste was very similar. Watered down and a total lack of integrity.
I don't think I'm ever going to buy this particular beer again. At leasst not until the overall quality jumps in huge leaps and bounds.

2.66/5  rDev -25.3%

This starts out as one great beer,but fails to deliver.It looks great,full dark amber color and a big head.The taste is not what it should be.For a specialtly Octoberfest,this beer is alittle weaker in taste than other octoberfests.With an octoberfest, i would expect more flavor,i.e.more spices.This is a beer you could enjoy grilling sausages or brats.This is more of a crisp beer than other octoberfests and results in a better drinkability.

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu