Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-MärzenSpaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: Quaffer on 09-04-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,108 | Hads: 2,388
3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

I tried this due to the fact I love most oktoberfests. While this isn't bad to me, its not one I would buy a 24-case of.

A- I'm a fan of the Spaten bottling. The blue/white checkered flag is swanky I suppose. Pours with a relatively small head, nothing crazy.
S- Smelled fairly sweet.
T- I kept tasting grapes. Along with that, maltiness.
M- Aside from a grape taste, the carbonation really impacted the flavor. It wasn't overdone, but when compared to Spaten's other beers (like Optimator), its overpowering to me.
O- Overall, I think its ok. I'm a bigger fan of some of the American takes on Oktoberfest Marzen's. That's just me though, so understand that.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured this from the bottle into my air-dried beer mug. Head was fluffy but dissipated rather quickly. Copper color to it. Citrus aromas. Goes down very smooth. Texture is thin and light. Tastings of wheat and barley. Well worth the money for the sampling.

3.87/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours from the bottle a dark amber color with a nice off-white head that slowly dissapates to some nice lacing. Has a nice hoppy smell to it with a hint of roasted smell. Has for me a just right mouth-feel that goes down pretty good. Does leave a after-taste that is'nt too bad though.

For me this is a very tasty October-fest style beer and I'll be definitely getting more; if only it was'nt so expensive. But hey, good beer is worth it!!!

4.45/5  rDev +25%

This is one of those classic German lagers that are designed to be drunk all day long. It combines a light malty flavor and light noble hop flavor to create a highly drinkable product.

It pours a light brown color. The smell and initial taste are of burnt Munich malt, but in a good way. I love beers made with decoction mashing! The malt flavor is wonderful and is properly balanced with the hops. It goes down lager-smooth and there is no hint of alcohol. I'm so happy this brew is sold by the case and appears at my local Costco every fall. I feel that if beers like this were more widely available to the average BMC drinker, we would see a massive shift away from brewers chruning out yellow fizzy water and see more exploration of this style.

1.84/5  rDev -48.3%

Oktoberfestbeir Ur-Marzen
120oz bottle
Standard Pint Glass

A - Copper towards the center, pale ale gold towards the perimeter. Clear in appearance, one finger of a white head.

S - Smell is tough, not a lot to it, faint malt

T - Muted carmel and bready malts. Weak Hops. You know what? This beer is skunked. Thank you, green bottle...

M - Decent carbonation, touch warming at the end. Skunkiness makes it regrettable at most.

D - Skunkiness ruined this bottle, don't know how it skunked as I took it out of the store at night. Sigh. I would like to try this on tap somewhere and give it one more opportunity.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Gold/copper color with a 1 finger head that hangs around for a bit. Slight lacing.

S: Mostly grains with a slight caramel sweetness.

T: A bit more sweetness in the flavor, but not overly. Works well w/the grainy/bready flavors. Not much alcohol. Great balance.

M: Light carbonation, medium body.

O: I thought this was pretty darn good. Very drinkable and almost gulp-able. I drank a liter mug full at a nearby biergarten and wasn't over it by the time I was done. Maybe not my top choice for an Oktoberfest but I'd def. buy/drink again.

3.88/5  rDev +9%

One of my favorite tasting beers. It looks unlike most other Oktoberfests I've tried, with a lighter color, but it still retains a decent head. It smells very sweet, with an almost fruity candy smell to it. Spaten Oktoberfest was the first Oktoberfest,a nd you can dell it in the taste. It makes all other Oktoberfests pale in comparison, clearly showing everything else is an imitation. Sweet, malty taste, it really embodies the fall in my mind. Mouthfeel is decent, much like most ales. Drinkability is average, seeing as how it is so sweet, it makes it hard to enjoy more than a few at a time. Every time fall comes around, I will look forward to enjoying more of this wonderful brew.

3.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured this beer into a pilsner glass from a bottle. It formed an off-white head that left no lacing from the 1/2" head. It had a faint smell of hops and malt after initial pour, but after a while a slight toasted malt and caramel smell emerged. The taste and mouthfeel can only be described as light. The taste begins bitter and ends smooth. Decent beer, but I can't imagine it standing up to most of the hearty, Bavarian food from its homeland.

3.46/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a pours a dark copper color with light finely bubbled foam that dissipates into nothing quickly.
s I suspect I have an old bottle, as it smells a bit skunky and very close to an American macro brew. Malty smell, faint hops.
t much better than it smells, I was concerned it would suck but Spaten comes through again. Nicely malted, not much hops but it is still very rounded and smooth on the palate. Hints of molasses.
M finely carbonated, tingly, tiny bit syrupy.
Very decent beer

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from standard bottle into nonic.

A - Pours a light copper hue with a single finger of lightly foamy head that disappates quickly.

S - Initially with a roasty malt profile, but quickly yeilds a slightly skunky afterscent that is probably the result of the green glass and the fact that it was an individual bottle purchase so had plenty of light exposure instead of being more buried inside a 6/12 pack. The skunkiness is fairly light and not all the offputting, almost seems to compliment the malt a bit.

T - Roasted malts upfront with a bakery yeastiness that follows through to give it a solid overall taste. Very minimal residual hops flavor, certainly not enough to counteract the yeasty sweetness that seems to characterize the backend of the flavor. A little skunkiness in the taste, but as with the scent, seems to compliment the brew decently well (although I'd like to compare it to an on tap version).

M - Light/medium overall body with minimal carbonation and a silky texture.

O - Tasty with an appropriate mouthfeel, but not the greatest offering of the style. Although it has some roasted maltiness, the skunkiness of the green glass can cover it a bit. I'll be looking for a draught version soon to revisit.

4.1/5  rDev +15.2%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Tanish fizzy head. Crystal clear medium amber/dark copper in color. Head dissipates slowly leaving moderate lacing.

S - Spicy malt, hint of banana with some other fruity esters.

T - German malt, hint of banana, rounds out with a slightly toasted nutty flavor and a light bitterness.

M - Highly carbonated, medium body. Starts to leave a thicker feel behind afer half a glass.

D - I like this beer. The lack of bitterness and presence of roasted flavors is nice. I could probably go through a few though.

3.06/5  rDev -14%

A-12 oz. bottle, part of a gift package from a friend. Poured a clear, pale orange color with a rather foamy head which died out fairly fast
S-Leafy aromatics and a hint of toasted grains, though rather musky and dank
T&M-A very smooth tasting beer with a rather watery feel (must be that Alpine water), maybe because of the carbonation present. Leaves a dry, yet sweet, aftertaste in the mouth and on the tongue
D-In comparison to other Octoberfest beers on the market, this one is not that exceptional. In fact, it's quite average, but is it drinkable? Sure. Will I have another? Sure. Would I buy a six-pack? Depends on the occasion...

4.56/5  rDev +28.1%

When I first started drinking different types of beers, this was my first and I liked it so much that I bought a case of it.. It was definately worth it. The beer has the normal german taste to it which can be found in any german beer. I like the beer and I think anyone else who tries it will like it.

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer, once you pop the cap, reminds me of Peroni beer - it has the same bready, yeasty smell on the nose. However, it is heavier, and a bit sweeter - not my liking. I made a session out of this brew, trying to study it from all angles, and since it is a marzen, meaning it is brewed between the months of September through April, I was reminded of how its German heritage really gave it a good quality taste but a head that faints quickly after pour. I was astonished to see the words malt liquor on the label of this beer, and was thoroughly disappointed by this description. It is definitely worthier than the Malt Liquors out there, but hey we can't all be skeptics all the time. Would I try this beer again, maybe, if it was free - There are plenty of German brews to be imbibed, and therefore, I will be seeking a better session than Spaten. Overall ok, but nothing to really implore you to try again.

3.26/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I really enjoyed this beer for it's purpose. Drinking in the back yard for the last days of our Colorado, Indian Summer days. This is a beer that well go down easy with just enough body and character to make it a drinking buddy both during the hot day and in the cool evenings. I find it hard to dislike any oktoberfest beer (except haufbrau) since the accompanying season is so spectacular. I don't think I would buy this beer at any other time though.

3.71/5  rDev +4.2%

My second Oktoberfest of this season.I've done some checking and found that this is the original Marzen , not Hacker-Pschoor as I mistakenly thought.So that being said.Light amber color with an offwhite head , about one half inch that diminishes after about 2 minutes to one eighth with decent lacing.Good balance of malt and hops. Good drinking.

4.15/5  rDev +16.6%

Less than $24 at Sam's club for a case of bottles and a good representation of the style...who says it has to be October to enjoy this refreshing beer on a hot day. It's August and its readily available...I say drink it while its here. Balanced and tasty.

3.18/5  rDev -10.7%

A - After a moderate pour there was a solid head that lasted about as long as an ADD child's attention span. All that remained was a thin frosting on the top of the beer. The beer is a satisfying amber, with little visible carbonation.

S - The nose is sweet and malty with a helping of skunk; which I can't help but suspect is the result of long travel from Germany. Otherwise, its pretty restained - pleasantly so.

T - A reasonable hoppiness balances out the malts pretty well. And a moderate carbonation keeps things happening through the finish. There is a definite sour vinous aftertaste to the finish here, not the best.

M - The carbonation is perhaps a bit much, otherwise the mouthfeel is pretty smooth.

D - Not the best Marzen available in the USA, but still definitely drinkable; though I wouldn't want to atack this in quantities - I suspect it would lead to heartburn.

A decent beer, but with so many better options out there I won't be revisiting this one unless I'm in Germany or my alternatives are American Macros or Heineken.

3.88/5  rDev +9%

Billed as Germany's original Oktoberfest beer and is still the number one served beer at Munichs traditional Oktoberfest. Poured on tap into a liter Spaten Stein. White head that lasted for most of the Stein. No lacing evident. Nicely carbonated. Amber in color, Medium body. Impeccable taste and well balanced malt flavor and aroma finished with just the right amount of hops. Rich texture on the palate with an underlying sweetness true to German tradition.

4.85/5  rDev +36.2%

It poured a gorgeous golden color. It formed a nice but small head and was crisp and refreshing. I for some reason detected a hint of citrus. it was a nice suprisingly clean finish...and was light on my palate i would most definately recommend it to anyone!!! Cheers

3.29/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a gorgeous copper color with little to no head, simply a white film over the top of the brew.

Furious dancing bubbles show this is well carbonated.

Smells a bit like heineken. Maybe I smell some floral notes? Not much stands out here.

The taste is grainy and a bitter. Decent mouthfeel considering the raging carbonation and decent balance make not too many notes stand out. Drinkability is good! I could sit down with a six pack and finish it off no problem.

Overall a decent after-work beer, but nothing for a special occasion.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

A fairly basic Octoberfest beer that's neither terrible nor terribly memorable. The appearance is of a darker amber body with a slowly-dissipating, fairly fine head.

On the palate we've got a large amount of toasted flavor. In fact, I can't say that I find the hint of toasted biscuits totally disagreeable. However, while the finish brings in a moderate hop effect and a bit of puckering astringency, I'm left with a take-it-or-leave-it feeling.

3.38/5  rDev -5.1%

Spaten - Octoberfest

Bottled in Germany - which is cool, but making the trip across the Atlantic in a little green bottle can't be all that great for it. But it does get an A for being authentic.

To me it tasted like the Sam Adams, but with more flavor. I couldn't taste the extra alchohol, which is always a good indication that its a quality beer, but it was a 5.9% ABV for the record. It's a nice deep redish and amber color and poured crystal clear.

There was a number stamped on the side of the bottle, but not a clear date (probably have to cross reference the number to get a true bottling or batch date). I will say that my 6-pack tasted a bit past its prime - not bad, but I've had better from Spaten before.

3.51/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Average frothy off white colored head that did not last too long. Excellent head lacing and sparkling clear body. Very few particles rising from the amber orange hue. Initial moderate malt smell -- very sweet. Very lighty hoppy aroma. Initially very heave sweet tast that turned moderatly bitter quite fast. Moderatly sweet finish with an average duration. Light to medium body with a dry texture and soft carbonation (slighly less as the beer sat). Very metallic feel in the finish.

The only German import that I've tried this season; very different taste from the American Marzen styles that I've tried.

3.62/5  rDev +1.7%

Pleasant to the nose with a coppery color, leaning towards brownish green rather than red. Minimal head with moderate carbonation. Does not leave any lacing to speak of.

Not very lively on the tongue, although it yields a pleasantly slick mouthfeel. Despite the somewhat higher ABV I could really pound these.

By way of disclaimer I don't have any experience with this style of beer, so I cannot compare this particular one to the best of the breed. I would say that this beer is worthwhile but nothing to jump up and down about. Not a first choice off the shelf for me.

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu