Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: Quaffer on 09-04-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,231 | Reviews: 1,097
3.26/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I really enjoyed this beer for it's purpose. Drinking in the back yard for the last days of our Colorado, Indian Summer days. This is a beer that well go down easy with just enough body and character to make it a drinking buddy both during the hot day and in the cool evenings. I find it hard to dislike any oktoberfest beer (except haufbrau) since the accompanying season is so spectacular. I don't think I would buy this beer at any other time though.

A fantastic Oktoberfest, not overly strong, refreshingly smooth!
Dare I say, I like this just as much as Hofbrau.

3.71/5  rDev +3.1%

My second Oktoberfest of this season.I've done some checking and found that this is the original Marzen , not Hacker-Pschoor as I mistakenly thought.So that being said.Light amber color with an offwhite head , about one half inch that diminishes after about 2 minutes to one eighth with decent lacing.Good balance of malt and hops. Good drinking.

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

Less than $24 at Sam's club for a case of bottles and a good representation of the style...who says it has to be October to enjoy this refreshing beer on a hot day. It's August and its readily available...I say drink it while its here. Balanced and tasty.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

Bottle.

A - After a moderate pour there was a solid head that lasted about as long as an ADD child's attention span. All that remained was a thin frosting on the top of the beer. The beer is a satisfying amber, with little visible carbonation.

S - The nose is sweet and malty with a helping of skunk; which I can't help but suspect is the result of long travel from Germany. Otherwise, its pretty restained - pleasantly so.

T - A reasonable hoppiness balances out the malts pretty well. And a moderate carbonation keeps things happening through the finish. There is a definite sour vinous aftertaste to the finish here, not the best.

M - The carbonation is perhaps a bit much, otherwise the mouthfeel is pretty smooth.

D - Not the best Marzen available in the USA, but still definitely drinkable; though I wouldn't want to atack this in quantities - I suspect it would lead to heartburn.

A decent beer, but with so many better options out there I won't be revisiting this one unless I'm in Germany or my alternatives are American Macros or Heineken.

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

Billed as Germany's original Oktoberfest beer and is still the number one served beer at Munichs traditional Oktoberfest. Poured on tap into a liter Spaten Stein. White head that lasted for most of the Stein. No lacing evident. Nicely carbonated. Amber in color, Medium body. Impeccable taste and well balanced malt flavor and aroma finished with just the right amount of hops. Rich texture on the palate with an underlying sweetness true to German tradition.

4.85/5  rDev +34.7%

It poured a gorgeous golden color. It formed a nice but small head and was crisp and refreshing. I for some reason detected a hint of citrus. it was a nice suprisingly clean finish...and was light on my palate i would most definately recommend it to anyone!!! Cheers

3.29/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a gorgeous copper color with little to no head, simply a white film over the top of the brew.

Furious dancing bubbles show this is well carbonated.

Smells a bit like heineken. Maybe I smell some floral notes? Not much stands out here.

The taste is grainy and a bitter. Decent mouthfeel considering the raging carbonation and decent balance make not too many notes stand out. Drinkability is good! I could sit down with a six pack and finish it off no problem.

Overall a decent after-work beer, but nothing for a special occasion.

2.99/5  rDev -16.9%

from: 12oz. bottle I bought at CostPlus of Santa Ana

serving vessel: in my trusty Sapporo pilsner glass

looks: the colour is like a brown ale, with a 1.5 finger head that disappears quickly

nose: not too much aroma, just that of a malty lager

taste: maltier than a normal maerzen (cannot taste much else) with a bit of a soapy finish and aftertaste

mouth feel: rougher than a normal Maerzen, with that aftertaste

drinkability: definitely not as smooth as a lighter Maerzen, but still decent....and with it's 5.9 ABV, this would be mean fun times in litre tankards at a bierhall...but otherwise, I'm glad I didn't get a whole six-pack.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

A fairly basic Octoberfest beer that's neither terrible nor terribly memorable. The appearance is of a darker amber body with a slowly-dissipating, fairly fine head.

On the palate we've got a large amount of toasted flavor. In fact, I can't say that I find the hint of toasted biscuits totally disagreeable. However, while the finish brings in a moderate hop effect and a bit of puckering astringency, I'm left with a take-it-or-leave-it feeling.

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%

Spaten - Octoberfest

Bottled in Germany - which is cool, but making the trip across the Atlantic in a little green bottle can't be all that great for it. But it does get an A for being authentic.

To me it tasted like the Sam Adams, but with more flavor. I couldn't taste the extra alchohol, which is always a good indication that its a quality beer, but it was a 5.9% ABV for the record. It's a nice deep redish and amber color and poured crystal clear.

There was a number stamped on the side of the bottle, but not a clear date (probably have to cross reference the number to get a true bottling or batch date). I will say that my 6-pack tasted a bit past its prime - not bad, but I've had better from Spaten before.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Good Octoberfest beer, light amber color and nice sweet malty aroma and smooth finish

3.51/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Average frothy off white colored head that did not last too long. Excellent head lacing and sparkling clear body. Very few particles rising from the amber orange hue. Initial moderate malt smell -- very sweet. Very lighty hoppy aroma. Initially very heave sweet tast that turned moderatly bitter quite fast. Moderatly sweet finish with an average duration. Light to medium body with a dry texture and soft carbonation (slighly less as the beer sat). Very metallic feel in the finish.

The only German import that I've tried this season; very different taste from the American Marzen styles that I've tried.

3.62/5  rDev +0.6%

Pleasant to the nose with a coppery color, leaning towards brownish green rather than red. Minimal head with moderate carbonation. Does not leave any lacing to speak of.

Not very lively on the tongue, although it yields a pleasantly slick mouthfeel. Despite the somewhat higher ABV I could really pound these.

By way of disclaimer I don't have any experience with this style of beer, so I cannot compare this particular one to the best of the breed. I would say that this beer is worthwhile but nothing to jump up and down about. Not a first choice off the shelf for me.

4.33/5  rDev +20.3%

A: Pours a dark amber/brown color with an off white head that quickly dissipates .
S: A very mild smell of sweet malt and breaded hops.
T: Nice sweet and malty taste with a small hoppy bite at the end.
M: Medium body and carbonation. Very smooth.
D: Very drinkable and delicious. I will definitely buy this again!

PS: I found a 24-pack of this at Costco for $20.72!

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Ahhh...oktoberfest. I have been looking forward to oktoberfest beers and this is my first of the season, so it may skew the score slightly. That, and its rediculously hot out and i am very thirsty.

Beer pours a perfectly clear brown-ish gold with a bone white head. lovely! Took a sip...mmm that malty lagery oktoberfesty goodness. Took another sip...and another...and another. Aw man, its gone. But I have 5 more. hooray!

My choice at the store was Spaten and Sam Adams, and I always lean to the german side when picking oktoberfests, and I do love this beer.

Welcome back oktoberfest...You were missed thoroughly.

3.57/5  rDev -0.8%

The 12 oz. green bottle pours a dark reddish brown rust color. A couple of fingers of head slowly shrinks to nothing.

It has a sweet roasted smell that is almost smoky.

The taste is sugary sweet with a hoppy bitterness. Mild alcohol is noticeable. I let it warm up a bit and this really brought out the flavor.

It has a light body for an Oktoberfest and is decent in the drinkability department. It's not the greatest example of the style but not a bad beer.

2.67/5  rDev -25.8%

A- nice golden color, 2-finger head that faded quickly but left a bit of fine lacing. Love the bottle; the checked pattern seems fun, classy, a bit art deco while still very German. Not sure why I like it- normally the bottle makes no impression on me, but I love the look of this one.

S- virtually none. I actually went and checked my sniffer, and I can smell other stuff just fine so it must be the beer.

T- not bad, but not much of it. Definitely not as watery as the smell, but very muted flavors. The hops add a bit of spiciness that helps compensate for the muted flavors.

M- feels great, carbonation is dead on for a very lightly flavored beer, not overwhelming but enough so that as the bubbles rise in my mouth, it brings the muted flavors out more. Lingers pleasantly

O- not bad, but not likely to buy more

4.7/5  rDev +30.6%

My favorite oktoberfest beer, Spaten is the reason I look forward to the fall. Its deep ruddy brown color is pleasing to the eyes, more so when looking at it down the barrel of a huge 32 oz mug. The smell speaks of the experience behind Spaten's brewing, these guys know how to make a friggin' beer. The first sip betrays hints of sassafras and mint that stay with you to the bottom of the glass. It is a little creamier than other oktoberfestbiers, but I like that, it serves to make a rich and foamy head. If you find it on tap, call a friend to drive you home because you're going to want to drink as much of it as your can. Remember in the movie Beerfest when the guys find that secret beer recipe hidden in the doll and they're all talking about how they want to ice skate on it or are simply moved to tears by how delicious it is? I like to imagine that beer tastes like Spaten Oktoberfest.

2.83/5  rDev -21.4%

A: Traditional dark amber appearance with a decent head that quickly dissapears. Almost no lacing.

S: Sweet malty smell. Not much going on here, not bad but not great.

T: Bready malts, with hints of caramel. Maybye even slight cherry hints. Decent.

M: Light carbonation, quaffable. Tastes sort of flat, but is refreshing.

O: Just okay. Much better examples of a Marzen out there. I have had on tap before and remember it being better. Maybye an old bottle? Wouldn't seek out again, but also wouldn't turn away a free one.

3.78/5  rDev +5%

I was very impressed with the Spaten Optimator and saw this in the store and had to try it. Me and my friends all opened one together, pouring into nice tall glasses. Sitting out on the porch in beautiful weather we took in the experience. The pour was excellent, beautiful head and an awesome deep color. I was a tad disappointed in the smell, while it was good, it really did not fill the nostrils. The taste is extraordinary, and the main purpose to sip one of these. The rich flavors fill your mouth from corner to corner and do not fail to please. I would never have more than a couple of these in one night.

All in all, a great beer, and definitely one I will have again! Another great beer from Spaten.

1.5/5  rDev -58.3%

Drank 2 poured into pint glasses.

Smells like a macro lager but with the addition of an unpleasant wine-like astringency. This carries into the taste which seemed like nothing more than a basic macro on (weak) malt steroids, and tainted by an unavoidable sour/spoiled note. Barely any hop bitterness, and medium carbonation. Honestly would prefer a macro over this, and certainly would prefer almost any other Marzen over Spaten's offering.

0/1

On a side note: I bought a 6 pack of this beer because I had a couple drafts of what I thought was Spaten Oktoberfest in NYC that tasted great. Unfortunately I can't remember for sure if it was Spaten or someone else's Oktoberfest on tap... Reading the reviews here many people say this is a decent Marzen, but there is at least one that notes the macro/sour quality I found. So it's entirely plausible that I had a bad batch along with the other reviewer, but it's also entirely plausible that what I remember as Spaten on tap was actually another beer... Oh well

Edit: Just had it on tap and it's just as bad as in the bottle. Slightly less sour but still nasty.

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours a small head that fades fast to a thin but long lasting cap of foam. Brilliantly clear, copper color. Aroma is crisp, clean with malt dominating. No hop aroma. Maybe just a hint of sulfur? But very pleasant overall. Malt dominates the taste as well. It's lightly toasted, mostly Munich malt I think, almost chewy. No bitterness up front, but there's some in the finish. No hop flavor though. Definitely malt-balanced, but dry with no cloying sweetness. Again, crisp and clean are the main traits. Mouthfeel is very drying, with high carbonation. Quite refreshing. Overall quite pleasant and drinkable, a good session beer.

2.67/5  rDev -25.8%

Pours a copper colored body with a thin white head that did not last. Faint aroma of sweet caramel malts and flowery hops. Mouthfeel was light waterery bodied with a low carbonation. Flavors were sweet and but not very refreshing. It has a hint of hop bitterness in the finish. Drinkability was watered down not very impressive. Gonna have to choke down 3 more bottles.

3.05/5  rDev -15.3%

Saw 12-packs of this for a good price at Binny's yesterday, so bought one on the hopes that it's the earliest (and therefore, freshest possible) import shipment and not the remnants of last year..I've have bad luck with import fest beer in years past in that regard. No dates on the package that I can find. Open the bottle, ok it's not skunky, that's half the battle. Mouthfeel is very thin, but that's not the end of the world with lagers or this style. Fairly malty as the style should be, head is kind of fizzy. Overall, in this state of freshness, it is tolerable but I've had better examples that originate from the USA.

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu