Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-MärzenSpaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: Quaffer on 09-04-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,108 | Hads: 2,388
4.33/5  rDev +21.6%

A: Pours a dark amber/brown color with an off white head that quickly dissipates .
S: A very mild smell of sweet malt and breaded hops.
T: Nice sweet and malty taste with a small hoppy bite at the end.
M: Medium body and carbonation. Very smooth.
D: Very drinkable and delicious. I will definitely buy this again!

PS: I found a 24-pack of this at Costco for $20.72!

4.1/5  rDev +15.2%

Ahhh...oktoberfest. I have been looking forward to oktoberfest beers and this is my first of the season, so it may skew the score slightly. That, and its rediculously hot out and i am very thirsty.

Beer pours a perfectly clear brown-ish gold with a bone white head. lovely! Took a sip...mmm that malty lagery oktoberfesty goodness. Took another sip...and another...and another. Aw man, its gone. But I have 5 more. hooray!

My choice at the store was Spaten and Sam Adams, and I always lean to the german side when picking oktoberfests, and I do love this beer.

Welcome back oktoberfest...You were missed thoroughly.

2.99/5  rDev -16%

from: 12oz. bottle I bought at CostPlus of Santa Ana

serving vessel: in my trusty Sapporo pilsner glass

looks: the colour is like a brown ale, with a 1.5 finger head that disappears quickly

nose: not too much aroma, just that of a malty lager

taste: maltier than a normal maerzen (cannot taste much else) with a bit of a soapy finish and aftertaste

mouth feel: rougher than a normal Maerzen, with that aftertaste

drinkability: definitely not as smooth as a lighter Maerzen, but still decent....and with it's 5.9 ABV, this would be mean fun times in litre tankards at a bierhall...but otherwise, I'm glad I didn't get a whole six-pack.

3.57/5  rDev +0.3%

The 12 oz. green bottle pours a dark reddish brown rust color. A couple of fingers of head slowly shrinks to nothing.

It has a sweet roasted smell that is almost smoky.

The taste is sugary sweet with a hoppy bitterness. Mild alcohol is noticeable. I let it warm up a bit and this really brought out the flavor.

It has a light body for an Oktoberfest and is decent in the drinkability department. It's not the greatest example of the style but not a bad beer.

2.67/5  rDev -25%

A- nice golden color, 2-finger head that faded quickly but left a bit of fine lacing. Love the bottle; the checked pattern seems fun, classy, a bit art deco while still very German. Not sure why I like it- normally the bottle makes no impression on me, but I love the look of this one.

S- virtually none. I actually went and checked my sniffer, and I can smell other stuff just fine so it must be the beer.

T- not bad, but not much of it. Definitely not as watery as the smell, but very muted flavors. The hops add a bit of spiciness that helps compensate for the muted flavors.

M- feels great, carbonation is dead on for a very lightly flavored beer, not overwhelming but enough so that as the bubbles rise in my mouth, it brings the muted flavors out more. Lingers pleasantly

O- not bad, but not likely to buy more

4.7/5  rDev +32%

My favorite oktoberfest beer, Spaten is the reason I look forward to the fall. Its deep ruddy brown color is pleasing to the eyes, more so when looking at it down the barrel of a huge 32 oz mug. The smell speaks of the experience behind Spaten's brewing, these guys know how to make a friggin' beer. The first sip betrays hints of sassafras and mint that stay with you to the bottom of the glass. It is a little creamier than other oktoberfestbiers, but I like that, it serves to make a rich and foamy head. If you find it on tap, call a friend to drive you home because you're going to want to drink as much of it as your can. Remember in the movie Beerfest when the guys find that secret beer recipe hidden in the doll and they're all talking about how they want to ice skate on it or are simply moved to tears by how delicious it is? I like to imagine that beer tastes like Spaten Oktoberfest.

2.83/5  rDev -20.5%

A: Traditional dark amber appearance with a decent head that quickly dissapears. Almost no lacing.

S: Sweet malty smell. Not much going on here, not bad but not great.

T: Bready malts, with hints of caramel. Maybye even slight cherry hints. Decent.

M: Light carbonation, quaffable. Tastes sort of flat, but is refreshing.

O: Just okay. Much better examples of a Marzen out there. I have had on tap before and remember it being better. Maybye an old bottle? Wouldn't seek out again, but also wouldn't turn away a free one.

1.5/5  rDev -57.9%

Drank 2 poured into pint glasses.

Smells like a macro lager but with the addition of an unpleasant wine-like astringency. This carries into the taste which seemed like nothing more than a basic macro on (weak) malt steroids, and tainted by an unavoidable sour/spoiled note. Barely any hop bitterness, and medium carbonation. Honestly would prefer a macro over this, and certainly would prefer almost any other Marzen over Spaten's offering.

On a side note: I bought a 6 pack of this beer because I had a couple drafts of what I thought was Spaten Oktoberfest in NYC that tasted great. Unfortunately I can't remember for sure if it was Spaten or someone else's Oktoberfest on tap... Reading the reviews here many people say this is a decent Marzen, but there is at least one that notes the macro/sour quality I found. So it's entirely plausible that I had a bad batch along with the other reviewer, but it's also entirely plausible that what I remember as Spaten on tap was actually another beer... Oh well

Edit: Just had it on tap and it's just as bad as in the bottle. Slightly less sour but still nasty.

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

I was very impressed with the Spaten Optimator and saw this in the store and had to try it. Me and my friends all opened one together, pouring into nice tall glasses. Sitting out on the porch in beautiful weather we took in the experience. The pour was excellent, beautiful head and an awesome deep color. I was a tad disappointed in the smell, while it was good, it really did not fill the nostrils. The taste is extraordinary, and the main purpose to sip one of these. The rich flavors fill your mouth from corner to corner and do not fail to please. I would never have more than a couple of these in one night.

All in all, a great beer, and definitely one I will have again! Another great beer from Spaten.

3.88/5  rDev +9%

Pours a small head that fades fast to a thin but long lasting cap of foam. Brilliantly clear, copper color. Aroma is crisp, clean with malt dominating. No hop aroma. Maybe just a hint of sulfur? But very pleasant overall. Malt dominates the taste as well. It's lightly toasted, mostly Munich malt I think, almost chewy. No bitterness up front, but there's some in the finish. No hop flavor though. Definitely malt-balanced, but dry with no cloying sweetness. Again, crisp and clean are the main traits. Mouthfeel is very drying, with high carbonation. Quite refreshing. Overall quite pleasant and drinkable, a good session beer.

2.67/5  rDev -25%

Pours a copper colored body with a thin white head that did not last. Faint aroma of sweet caramel malts and flowery hops. Mouthfeel was light waterery bodied with a low carbonation. Flavors were sweet and but not very refreshing. It has a hint of hop bitterness in the finish. Drinkability was watered down not very impressive. Gonna have to choke down 3 more bottles.

3.05/5  rDev -14.3%

Saw 12-packs of this for a good price at Binny's yesterday, so bought one on the hopes that it's the earliest (and therefore, freshest possible) import shipment and not the remnants of last year..I've have bad luck with import fest beer in years past in that regard. No dates on the package that I can find. Open the bottle, ok it's not skunky, that's half the battle. Mouthfeel is very thin, but that's not the end of the world with lagers or this style. Fairly malty as the style should be, head is kind of fizzy. Overall, in this state of freshness, it is tolerable but I've had better examples that originate from the USA.

3.22/5  rDev -9.6%

I am not quite sure if they change the brew each year, but if so, the score for this beer is going to be skewed. Perhaps seasonal beers should have an entry for each year. That said:

A - Not too impressive a show in a pint glass. A light amber color, small bubbles, and a weak head that dissipates into a very thin rim of white around the circumference of the glass.

S - Certainly has a smell similar to other Oktoberfests with perhaps a more hop like quality than most.

T - True to its smell, there is a bitter hop character there which balances well with the obvious malt that you would come to expect from Spaten. Slight grassy and herbal, with an aftertaste of hops that is unlike the usual heavy malt aftertaste of other fest beers. Definitely loses the hoppiness and picks up more maltiness as it warms. Not a bad idea, but certainly less traditional than I am used to.

M - Definitely a crisp carbonation that is also less characteristic than other more silky, and malty fest beers. Though less traditional I actually rated this slightly above average on mouthfeel more for the surprise than anything else. I may have been generous here, but I kind of see it as a more refreshing version of a traditional Oktoberfest.

D - Quite drinkable. Other than the "different" aftertaste for a fest beer, its worth quaffing 2 or 3.

Overall, this is not the traditional Oktoberfest I expected from Spaten, but I didn't mind the slight variation on the theme.

2.01/5  rDev -43.5%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Had this on tap in Illinois after a 6 hour car ride and thought it was incredible, so I picked up a sixer to give it a proper review. In retrospect, it might have tasted so good simply because I was in a car for 6 hours going through corn country.

A: Pours a dark copper color. Half a finger head that disappears rapidly. Bottle and packaging very 'German'; fit the brew style perfectly.

S: Malts all the way. If there's other notes to be detected, the malts cover them up to this reviewer's nose.

T: Malts. Taste doesn't really evolve in your mouth at all. What you smell and taste initially is what you get.

M: Minimal carbonation at the beginning of the sip. Beyond that, pretty smooth and water-like. 'Cardboard' aftertaste that makes the chin pucker.

O: Easy drinking Autumn beer for when the football is on and the weather gets colder. Not something I'd shun, but not something that would be my first (or second or third) choice if I am buying. Jokes aside, this is one of those beers that gets significantly better as you go along (no, I don't think that's true for every beer).

4.23/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

local german beer hall gets this beer in on tap every year. amber color with white head that disappear somewhat quickly without lacing. smell is little above the average for the style. the best tasting oktoberfest i've had yet. i have had it from the bottle before but it's much better on tap. as long as it's available on tap, i'd be able to drink it during an afternoon at the beer hall. so far, my favorite oktoberfest yet.

3.31/5  rDev -7%

This was my first Octoberfest of the season.

Very nice burnt golden color. The smell is not the best. It had a bit of that sulfer skunk that alot of import german lagers seem to get along with a bit of fruitiness in the background. The taste was crisp, and refreshing with a bit of carmel in front and a nice roasty back-end! Finishes very nice and clean. not my favorite Marzen but not bad!

2.99/5  rDev -16%

I have the feeling that I could give this higher ratings if it weren't for the damned green bottle - the skunky aroma just doesn't do it for me.
Rich amber color with a fluffy white head.
Fairly substantial mouthfeel, with a trace of caramel-sweetness around the edge of the tongue. Finish is slightly sweet, with a hint of herbal/floral from the hops, ruined slightly by the skunkiness (which does seem to fade a bit over time).
I'll have to find this on tap somewhere.

1.98/5  rDev -44.4%

Dark brown in color (like a dunkel) with a small head that dissapates rapidly into a ring.

Smells a little malty and grassy with an astringent twang and lots of carbonation up the nose.

Taste is much the same. Starts off a little sweet then ends with a harsh astringent finish. Very dry on the finish.

Mouthfeel is thin, almost as thin as a light beer with way too much carbonation.

I couldn't drink much of this, its just way over carbonated and the taste is in all the wrong places.

The best I can compare this too is Blackened Voodoo meets seltzer water and burned grass.

3.62/5  rDev +1.7%

Dark amber color, almost a brown. Sweet smell with a thin head. Rich flavor with a bit of chocolate/cocoa powder on the palate. Thin body that dissipates quickly. Leaves a pleasant aftertaste that is also rich. Not one to drink one after another while camping, but one to savor in Autumn, perhaps 'round the fire.

2.9/5  rDev -18.5%

A - Very little head. Clear and caramel-brown.

S - Slight skunk, malt.

T - The hops become apparent, and blend well with the malt. Slight nuttiness. Still a bit skunky, but there's an intriguing tobacco in the finish.

M - Medium mouth feel, oily.

O - This beer does the basics well, but isn't interesting enough for me to buy it again, and the skunk is a turn-off.

4.1/5  rDev +15.2%

The reviews for this beer seem to be mixed. In my opinion the 12oz. green bottles are less than exceptional. If you can find in on tap, or buy it in the 0.5 liter bottles it will rival anything you can get in Munchen in Septmber/October.

4.16/5  rDev +16.9%

We had a housewarming/keg party a few weekends ago.

Poured from a keg into a red solo cup.

The head was nice and fluffly, lasting longer than the pint I poured from a bottle a week prior. The smell was light, but very sweet and malty.

Mouthfeel was good; I've had better.

The taste was amazing. FAR better than 07's Oktoberfest, and not just Spaten's, ALL 07 Oktoberfest (was it a bad year?). Sweet, malty, and very yummy! Very easy to drink!

I don't remember how many I had. We had maybe 50 people and killed the keg in seven hours.

I highly suggest this one.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured this one into a Sam Adams glass.

I like a good Octoberfest beer. No nonsense, just heavy enough on the hops but still balanced, makes you want to drink more than one. This one fits the bill nicely. Not much of a head, decent lacing. Light amber in color. Hops with just a bit of citrus on the nose. Not real complicated. Hops on the palate with an ever so slightly astringent finish. Almost too easy to drink. I could easily knock back too many of these in one sitting. Makes me quite affectionate for this time of year.

2.8/5  rDev -21.3%

A: poured a dark brown color with little head
S: Smelled kind of skunky
T: Had a skunky taste overall and bitterness afterward; could taste a little of the roasted malts
M: Lots of carbonation
D: Drinkable, but definitely not as easy to drink as other Oktoberfest beers.

4.43/5  rDev +24.4%

Pours a great copper color.

Not the biggest aroma going, but what was there had some light malt going on.

Flavor wise, the malt is more pronounced up front than I would have expected from the aroma, but it finishes with more of a hoppy bitter flavor. Not the kick-you-in-the-teeth Octoberfest I've found more and more common from some of the American breweries, and more smooth drinking and easily approachable than some of its comparable imported brethren.

For a little context, even though its available year round, I wait till the first weekend of fall every year and go to town on this beer. Definately one of my favorites, on tap or in the bottle, in terms of easy-drinking crowd-pleasing Octoberfest.

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu