Follow our progress ...

Added by Quaffer on 09-04-2001

Reviews: 1,115 | Ratings: 2,424
3.35/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An amber O-Fest that's a little too malty for my tastes. Big caramel (Munich) malt flavors with not enough dryness. Seems to taste a bit stronger than most Marzen/Fest beers that I've had, perhaps this is because I haven't had dinner. Very smooth mouthfeel. Medium to full bodied. I think I like the Spaten Optimator (double bock) a bit better. That beer is maltier, of course, but also somehow drier.

2.85/5  rDev -19.9%

Clear light amber in color with small white head. Light malt smell not much else. Good carbonation slight malt taste with a touch of hop, slight hop bite not much else to speak of. Rather bland actually. Light bodied brew with not much going for it.Probably let my wife or guest have the other 5 not something I will buy again. Thought I would try because someothers thought it a good repersentation of octoberfest. Wish I had some more Sam Adams know some of you think I'm crazy but I like it.

4.27/5  rDev +19.9%

The beer pours an amber color with a nice white lace head. The aroma is exceptional. It has the smell of a good lager, but with the slightest amount of crystal malts to add color and a bit of sweetness. The taste is great. It isn't too plain or too bold. There is a fine balance here. The mouthfeel is awesome. It is a low/medium bodied beer with the right amount of carbonation. This is a great drinking beer; one of the best Octoberfests I've ever had.

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

Aroma: Toasty malt. Actually smells a bit like toast. Malt is very evident and a bit perfumed.
Appearance: Clear golden brown, almost orange with a good finger and a half of white head that filmed fairly quickly. Plucky little head left some good tiny bubble lace.
Flavor: Taste is a touch upside down. First is a brief hop bitterness that is quickly washed away in the toasted malt. Deep malt flavor is held in check, but I had to hunt for any real hop taste and certainly no strong bitterness. There is a tea-like aftertaste that I found enjoyable, but seems a bit off style. All in all, it’s rather mild.
Mouthfeel: Medium body that coats the mouth and lingers.
Overall Impression: Have to admit, this was, and is one of my favorite beers, although through BA I’ve outgrown it to some degree. It has a very clean lager taste that really lets the malt show through. Maybe if I keep at brewing for 600 years like these folks, maybe my Oktoberfest will approach this brew. This might be a good macro-wean beer (“Sorry, I’m out of Bud, try this!”)

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Color is a nice light copper amber with a one finger high off-white head thats evenly foamed and smooth, fades down to a thick haze and lace in muddy globs. Aroma has a nice touch of lightly toasty malts, grainy and fresh and breadish sweet. Taste has a nice mellow toasted maltyness thats lightly sweet and bready, pretty easy and calm flavors, nothing overwhelming, notes of light nuttyness comes through in the finish with a favorable light drying. Sure its a bit plain, but nice enough to keep it interesting. Feel is medium bodied, pretty smooth the whole way through, easy little bitterness and a light drying finish. I can see drinking alot of these, as it warmed it was very nice indeed, a bit on the plain side, but something about the subtleness kept me going til the glass was empty. A good drinkin' O-fest.

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured a nice deep amber, thin white head that dissapated quickly, very little lacing. Malty, heavy scent. Maybe too much carbonation ... maybe. I wanted it to be a little smoother. Easy, if not too easy, to drink, but I felt very little of the alcohol.

I'd choose this offering over Spaten's premium lager. Good beer.

4.1/5  rDev +15.2%

Maybe it's just me, but I think this is a great beer when not being compared so much to other brews. I had it on tap, which also may be slightly better experience. Nice red hue with cream colored head. Nothing too overpowering in this one - malt is predominant with very little hops. Great malt flavors with little residuals. No trace of bitterness. A very smooth, easy drinking beer. Perfect carbonation. Sure, a GLBC Eliot Ness it is not, but still I dunno what it is about it.... I like it, and that's all that matters. I could drink this all night, and sometimes do when at my favorite pub.

3.35/5  rDev -5.9%

Clear amber with a thin lace.
Sweet malt, a bit of citrus, faint touch of earth in the nose.
Light, smooth, slightly carbonated body
Sweet malt flavor with a smidgen of herbs, vaguely spicy.
Definately made for imbibing with food, not enough going on otherwise. Lackluster in general, you can get an almost exact duplicate with the Brooklyn O-fest.

3.33/5  rDev -6.5%

Appearance: clear pale bronze color, with booming, boisterous cream-toned foam atop (I may have optimized the head potential by utilizing a Wehenstephaner weizen glass).
Aroma: soft, spare, tiniest hints of caramel & nuts, glimmers of malt.
Taste: bright, sweet, slightly coppery feel, mild. No hops felt, malt is all over the flavor, but never too strong. Body, very light, texture is small, finish is too quickly dissipated. A very subdued, but supremely approachable marzen. Geared towards those with less exploratory ambitions in their beer imbibement.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

Appearance: Crystal clear light-amber pour. About a 1/2" frothy off-white head, good retention, creamy/spiderweb lace.
Smell: Light, clean, sweet-yet-crisp maltiness. Whiff of yeast/bread and hops way in the background.
Taste: Starts out with sweet toasted caramel malt... very light, folowed by a nice semi-dry hop citrus-like finish. Very reserved...lighter than I expected for a fest beer.
Mouthfeel: Light body, becomes a bit creamier as it warms. Reminds me more of summer than fall.
Drinkability: Very refreshing and enjoyable.

3.18/5  rDev -10.7%

12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. It pours a light amber color with two fingers of head. A fair amount of lace left on the glass. The smell is very malty with a hint of hops. The taste is fairly faint, but has a good malt flavor. The mouthfeel is fairly light, and the drinkability is just average. An OK Oktoberfest.

3.97/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours golden orange with a struggling head. Smells like a bare bones oktoberfest; good, but nothing to write home about. It's highly carbonated and tastes like Spaten wanted this beer to simply get by. "Ja, juzt give zee Americans vhat zey vant: ein vanabee oktoberfest." It's good, and no offense to Spaten (the brewery that gave me my beloved Optimator), but it's pretty much the Budweiser of märzens.

3.51/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Average frothy off white colored head that did not last too long. Excellent head lacing and sparkling clear body. Very few particles rising from the amber orange hue. Initial moderate malt smell -- very sweet. Very lighty hoppy aroma. Initially very heave sweet tast that turned moderatly bitter quite fast. Moderatly sweet finish with an average duration. Light to medium body with a dry texture and soft carbonation (slighly less as the beer sat). Very metallic feel in the finish.

The only German import that I've tried this season; very different taste from the American Marzen styles that I've tried.

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Sampled from a 12oz bottle for the 2003 season.

Appearance: Deep amber, almost tawny, but not quite bonzish color with a medium sized wispy white head. A little lighter in color than others this season.

Smell: Very clean and fresh scents of malt and hops. Not a very powerful aroma, a little on the light side. (Also got a hold of a skunked bottle. One bottle out of a case isn't bad, but not good either.)

Taste: Good malt profile that moves into hops and some spice. All in all a little weak on all sides. Not as flavorful as I had expected or hoped. Very drinkable and not a bad beer, but there are better choices, especially give the limited availabilty of the style.

3.34/5  rDev -6.2%

I picked up my sample with a certain measure of excitement, as it's mid-October and I was in a seasonal mood. I could almost hear the German polka band in the background as I brought the church-key out....

It poured well, but didn't leave much in the way of a head. What was there didn't stick around for long. Left a thin lacing around the mug on the way down. Nice dak amber color, though, very rich and inviting.

Almost no nose on this sample. Faint maltiness and a slightly sweet aroma, but I was not at all impressed with the bouquet.

Tasted good, lots of malt flavor. Started out a little bit bitter but got smoother as the drink went on. Began to even out and get really drinkable about halfway through the sample. Had a slightly sweet secondary taste once you got past the malts.

Mouthfeel was ok, nothing grainy or cloying. Finish was very good. The beer had really evened itself out by the time I had finished the sample. If I try this one again, I'll let it sit for 10 minutes before I begin drinking it. It really improved once it got to swim around in the mug, free from it's bottled prison.

All in all, a slightly above-average Oktoberfest.

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

Apperance was nice with a light amber color and a small white head that lasted and left decent lace down the glass. The smell had a certian grain and grass scent to it with not much else all, and the taste was simmilar. A mostly malty brew, this one did not have much in the way of hops or anyhting else. The mouthfeel was quite good though, with a good balance of carbonation and smoothness. Although this is not that exciting of a beer, it is easy to put back a few so I score it a little higher than others on the drinkability scale. But in the end, there are better Oktoberfest brews out there

3.95/5  rDev +11%

Well, this is definately a subdued Marzen, but that's ok because it makes it really drinkable in my humble opinion. It has a nice malty nose and an excellent mouthfeel but without gratuitous syrup-i-ness (I love inventing words, its like I was writing in German).

Not my favorite Fest from Germany, but I like it!

3.24/5  rDev -9%

Perhaps my least favorite of the traditional Oktoberfest beers. Cinnamon colored with no head, and no aroma. Flavor is very light and delicate, a bit too light. Low low malt flavor, with barely noticeable hints of sweet pear and honey. Really had to roll it around the mouth and concentrate to pick them out. Mouthfeel is a bit watery upfront, but tingly in the finish. A light hop bitter lingers.

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Light amber/dark golden with a medium sized off-white head. Smells of gingerbread cookie malt with a minor spicy hop presence. Starts off with rich, toasty malts with a touch of spice. Finish is a tad bitter. Not great, but then again, I'm not a huge marzen fan. I'm more of a maibock guy.

3.61/5  rDev +1.4%

16.9 oz. brown bottle. This poured a light amber with a fairly dense head but no lace to speak of. The aroma was malty sweet.
The taste was of toasty sweet malts and caramel. This was right up to the edge of being a little too sweet for me but ended with a nice dry finish. Seemed light for the style in both flavor and body although this certainly enhanced the drinkibility.

3.41/5  rDev -4.2%

One of the thousands of Russian tourists at Oktoberfest this year was kind enough to bring me a bottle of this a few days ago. As my bottle was intended for domestic consumption, the label is a bit different from what is pictured here. Most importantly, the word Ur-Märzen is nowhere to be found. The label just says "Oktoberfestbier." I'm going to assume that this is the same beer, however, as the Spaten website only refers to one type of Oktoberfest beer.

Pours a slightly darker than gold color under an ample white contoured head that lingers long and leaves nice, if thin, lace rings. The nose is mild and malty, but nothing to get excited about. The mouth is well carbonated and of medium consistency. The taste starts with a lot of basic malt, followed by just a touch of hoppy bitterness. This bitterness grows in the aftertaste, however, leaving a pleasant impression calling out for another sip. Not a bad O-fest beer by any stretch, but there are better...

3.45/5  rDev -3.1%

This beer is the essence of caramel. The body is dark caramel. If you want to get an idea, take some sugar over a spoon and hold it over a flame until it melts and them caramelizes. That's about the color here. The head was very wimpy and since the waiter came back with the beer very quickly, I don't think it was just because of natural dissipation. This was a much maltier beer than the Warsteiner Oktoberfest I had just prior to this, but this also had less hops. There also seemed to be a little prune-like flavor that I sometimes get from beers that use one of the darker German malts.

3.76/5  rDev +5.6%

Not as much head as some Märzen styles. Overall though, a very nice color and taste. Malty, but not too sweet as some I find. A little hops here. Some Märzen styles are very malty, but I like this.

Märzen's tend to go down very smooth and I find my Liter Krug seems to empty itself rather quickly with this one.

Good for the style.

"Las dir raten, trinke Spaten"

John

3.21/5  rDev -9.8%

Not a bad looking beer if you give it a hard pour to get a nice head out of it. Amber with a white sticky head, which goes away after a bit. Some hop spiciness in the aroma and a little sourdough bread malt, but not much. As for the flavors... where's the malt? (Read that using the old lady's voice from that 70's Wendy's commercial). Lots of carbonation and some spicy hops, but not much of that nice O-fest malt. There is some there, but it seems to struggle to keep up with the rest. The mouthfeel isn't bad, but would be much better without the massive carbonation. I'd recommend passing on this one and picking up one of the better German märzens like Paulaner's or Hacker-Pschorr's.

3.33/5  rDev -6.5%

Appearance: Clear pale orange with a short lived white head. Active carbonation. A decent amount of foamy specks are left on the glass.

Smell: Very faint caramel malt nose with a hint of toastiness. No real hops. O-fests aren't really meant to be savored for too long anyhoot.

Taste: Largely caramel malt flavors. There is a slight toasted malt flavor on the finish. Slightly bready. Pretty much a textbook O-fest, and an uninspired one at that.

Mouthfeel: Very light bodied and rather refreshing.

Drinkability: A few liters of this? Not a problem, but only if I'm in a biergarten, and there's some lederhosen involved. Otherwise, I'll stick with Dominion's Ofest.

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu