Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

good

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 09-04-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +35.6%

It poured a gorgeous golden color. It formed a nice but small head and was crisp and refreshing. I for some reason detected a hint of citrus. it was a nice suprisingly clean finish...and was light on my palate i would most definately recommend it to anyone!!! Cheers

americanwolfdrea, Oct 10, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

I've been saving this one to try...and today was the day. I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be, but it was decent nonetheless. Poured a beautiful amber/orange/fall-leaves color, with a nice head that disappeared very quickly. Malty smell with a hint of hops. Tastes very malty, of caramel malts, and quite sweet. Sweeter than I expected too. Actually....a bit TOO sweet. Not much hop presence at all, which again, is usually fine by me...but this one actually seemed to need a tad more hops to balance out all that sweetness. Not bad, but not one I'd run out to get. Glad I only had just one. Too sweet and caramel-ly. Might have been better with food. Maybe my fault it wasn't that great. Cheers and SAAALUTE my BA friends!

musicjustintime, Oct 09, 2007
4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

A- Poured two finger head which dissipated quickly. Solid amber color left a thin wisp which maintained lacing throughout.

S- Typical Oktoberfest smell with more hop pressence than usuall.

T- Good malt/ hop balance very typical of the style. A little light for my taste however.

M- Once again good just a little light.

D- I've filled many a liter mug of this brew.

Among my favorite Oktoberfests.

Pauly2X, Oct 08, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured an orange-copper color with a tight, white head on top. Aroma was bread-like and sweet; almost fruity.

Wow! I was surprised at how smooth and flavorful this one is. There is a sweet, toasted flavor, along with hints of caramel and marshmallow. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and carbonated perfectly. Slight alcohol flavor as the beer warmed. It's not the most complex beer in the world, but it's an easy drinker with enough flavor to keep me coming back for more.

BBM, Oct 08, 2007
3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

Dark bronze. I smell hops and a little roasted malt. Nice Oktoberfest aroma. Unfortunately, I also detect a hint of green-bottle skunkyness. Not too bad, though. It's got a good slight bitterness from the hops and a pleasant malty flavor. This is a good specimen of an Oktoberfest beer. I bet it would be even better from a tap. It's not too thick or thin. Just right. I could drink quite a few of these. Moderately easy to drink.

berserker256, Oct 08, 2007

great on tap. Ive heard its great from a case to .... main reason for this is not light struck. why they use green bottles!! the 6 packs are open to get light through the green bottle and you get that corn / skunk aroma. what a unbelievable difference on tap!

dutchbrew2, Oct 06, 2007
3.28/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours a clear copper color with a small white head, left a little ring on the glass after it dissipated. The smell is light, grainy, with a very subtle hint of caramel malt. The taste is of bready malt with a touch of grainy sweetness, not much nobel hop detected. The feel is fairly light and crisp, a pretty neutral and balanced brew. Overall a pretty passive Oktoberfest, not terrible, not great, easy to drink.

Gmann, Oct 06, 2007
3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

12 oz longneck into a Kaltenberg Kolsch style glass. Beer pours a very brilliant dark golden color with a nice pillowy white head from an aggressive pour. Head diminishes over a few minutes, but remains at a little more than a covering with some lacing. The main aroma I am getting from this is of toasty malt, and a hint of very light caramel. Flavors of lightly toasted grain, very subtle caramel, and just enough bitterness to balance, but the bitterness is hardly even noticible. All of these flavors blend together mid palate to make for a very clean tasting beer into the finish. A touch of bitterness lingers in the aftertaste. Good, solid medium mouthfeel complimented by some bright carbonation.

Overall, I have to say that I'm slightly let down by the traditional Marzen of Oktoberfest. It could be that most of the Marzens I have tried to date have beer American craft-brewed, and this threw off my expectation of the beer. I guess I was looking for more of a pronounced malt character to this beer, as I have come accustomed to with the American versions. What I experienced was a very easy-drinking, extremely clean lager, and that was nice, I was just expecting stronger flavors. Still am glad I picked this up, and the remaining bottles will make for some nice cool weather drinking.

kkosmoski, Oct 06, 2007
3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

This beer pours a very transparent amber with a small head that faded fast.

Has a faint malt aroma with a bit of toastiness. I get a lager type of aroma that I cant quite place ... I would say corn if I didnt know this an Oktoberfest.

I remember this one being better in the past. I would sum it up as a Marzen Light, with a slight corn taste. It does have a nice caramel sweetness, but there is not much else here.

Light and very crisp mouthfeel.

A drinkable beer for sure, but very average.

IPAcraig, Oct 03, 2007
3.6/5  rDev 0%

After drinking this beer, I decided that I don't like Oktoberfest'sm with full knowledge that this is one of the best out there. With that said....

On tap-

A- A glowing orange/amber color- a very small amount of head and lacing- typical oktoberfest beer to the naked eye.

S- Smell was of bread, yeast, and spices.

T- Taste was very well balanced, but to me, the bread tastes on my palate were very overwhelming. Some yeast and very crisp finish on the end. Some spice as well, but not over powering as in some other oktobers.

M- Mouthfeel was carbonation bubbles- smooth and enjoyable.

D- A sesionable oktoberfest. This being approximately my 3rd of the season, I realized that this is a style that I am not a fan of- nothing against this beer, it just does not do it for me.

DavidSeanNJ, Oct 02, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

First day of October calls for an Oktoberfest in my opinion.

Pours out a clear orange-amber hue. Not alot of carbonation, but a good amount. There was a 1/4" white head that didnt stick around very long. Not a whole lot of lacing during this one.

The aromas were pretty subtle a little bread and a hint of some banana. That was pretty much it.

Taste is pretty much reminiscent of the smells. A little yeastiness in there as well. Not a whole lot of hops except a crisp bitterness in the finish.

Very smooth and crisp in the mouthfeel department. This beer goes down smooth and it is very refreshing. It was great on this warm "fall" day. I think it would make a good session beer because the alcohol doesn't seem there at all.

snpub540, Oct 01, 2007
3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a golden amber with a fluffy white head. Decent retention,and lacing. Smell is of sweet bread,and butter. Body is medium,with some carbonation. Taste is of Bread, butter,honey and sweet fruit. A bit differant but,not bad. Worth a try this Autumn.

riversider76, Sep 30, 2007
3.15/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance - Poured a nice clear, golden color with lots of bubbles and 2 inch, white head.

Smell - Not much of a smell. A bit grainy perhaps.

Taste - Grainy taste to it with a hint of malts. Had a metallic taste to it.

Mouthfeel - Thin body with medium carbonation.

Drinkability - Not bad and easy to drink. Not the best Oktoberfest I've had.

Beerbuddha, Sep 30, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

I had this on tap at the Ginger Man in Greenwich CT. It was dark orange colored and clear, same as others of the style. The smell was mostly malty, but not as rich as the Paulaner I had right before this one. The other real drawback of this beer was the thin body, nowhere near as present in the mouth as the Paulaner version. Seems that Spaten is giving a blue collar version of the style in my opinion, not the best marzen.

TurdFurgison, Sep 30, 2007

Appearance - Nice copper color with moderate carbonation. After the initial pour the creamy head simmers down leaving a nice lacing around the glass.

Smell - A rather grainy smell with a hint of malt

Taste - Nice malty start with traditional Oktoberfest bite and then a very smooth thin finish

Mouthfeel - This beer has a very thin but flavorful mouth feel that is quite smooth. Even with a moderate 5.9% ABV alcohol content you cannot taste it

Drinkability - This is a very good session beer that is not too filling but captures some of the finer elements of the Oktoberfest brewing tradition. The best part is that this beer is available all year round if you need a fix.

Overall - A solid steady state Oktoberfest selection! One of my favorites.

racer2k, Sep 28, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. green bottle into a mug.
A: Light copper in color, with a medium amount of foamy off-white head atop the beer that fizzled slowly and left a creamy layering. Tiny amount of lacing, and a good amount of carbonation visible.
S: Crisp, pale malts in the nose, with some grainy/bready scents, as well. Noticeable hop character, too.
T: Much like the smell. Pleasant, mild hop taste that's dominated by a smooth, typical Oktoberfest malt flavor. Nicely balanced.
M: Clean, crisp and smooth. A perfect lager mouthfeel that left me wanting more.
D: Really good. Goes down easy and tastes great all the while.

LeftyBWS, Sep 27, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +14.7%

On-tap at Resi's Bierstube...

A prototype Oktoberfest, domestics should be taking notes.

Served in a Paulaner glass, 0.5L. Rings of webby lace all the way down, a dark amber tone. Racing streams of carbonation intertwined within.

Bready nose, fairly standard. Some earthy mustiness as well.

Caramel, apple esters, very clean overall. Vague bitterness, but the malt is front and center. Their Maibock is better, but this isn't bad if you can find it fresh on tap, or a new bottle. Smooth and clean mouthfeel, very easy to put back a pint or two. Prost!

emerge077, Sep 27, 2007
3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a two-finger white head that fades slowly to a thin layer leaving some lace. Crystal clear amber color. Sweet malty nose. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Flavor is sweet but balanced, smooth, good oktoberfest. Not skunky as some reviewers have noted. 12oz bottle $1.50 from Capitol Convenience Concord, NH.

jdhilt, Sep 26, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +14.7%

Had this on tap at Max's the other night.

Pours a lovely copper color wtih good head retention and lacing. There is a rich, malty grain aroma, with an overlay of sweetness. These flavors are replicated on the palate, and the beer is medium bodied with subdued malty sweetness. This beer is very, very drinkable, and along with Oktoberfest from Paulener, is one of my favorite marzens. Very smooth in the finish. Quite well done.

John_M, Sep 26, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

pours a very light amber color with very little head, smells of rich malt, very little hop presence but lots of sweet malt like most oktoberfests, a very easy to drink beer. mouthfeel is pretty good, slightly watery but nothing out of the ordinary for the style. drinkability is good, solid beer all around

1fastz28, Sep 26, 2007
3.1/5  rDev -13.9%

12oz green bottle purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane for $1.39. No freshness date.

Poured a slightly dark amber color, with a small white head that didn't stick around for long and left no lace.

This smells sweet and slightly diacetyl-ish, in a caramel apple sort of way. Not terribly complex.

This is rather sweet tasting, a little overly so in my opinion, but I'm not sure what that's worth - having never had a fresh example besides what comes from US micros. Like the nose, this reminds me of a caramel apple. It finishes clean and dry, as an o-fest/marzen should, but I don't think this is all it could be in flavor. There's alsoo a very slight skunkiness, which makes me really wish Spaten put freshness dates on their bottle.

Mouthfeel is fairly light, thin and slightly fizzy.

This goes down fairly easy - the skunkiness is far enough in the back that it doesn't stick out too much. There's not a lot of character to it, however. It'll be interesting to compare this with the SA version that's on deck for consumption once I get off work.

woemad, Sep 24, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours a golden orange-ish yellow color with a white head. Aromas that are fruity and somewhat lager-ish. In the taste, sweet, light malt and hints of fruit. A smooth mouthfeel and a fruity aftertaste. Smooth and fruity, not overly sweet or dry, a nice Oktoberfest.

OWSLEY069, Sep 24, 2007
3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

I revisted this beer again this year.

This time the beer seemed to be in a much better condition. Still not my favorite Oktoberfest but it is very solid. Nice malt aroma and flavor. Hops are very mild. Definately more on the sweeter side of the spectrum.

Review on 09-23-2007

A dark copper color with a white fluffy head that dissipates quickly and settles to a thin ring around the glass. Leaves good lacing. It has a funky hop smell that isn't at all what I expected after drinking a lot of American beers in this style. The taste is of hops, citrus, and a little malt. Kind of funky that I did not find appealing. It is light bodied with little carbonation that finishes clean. I did not like this beer and wasn't able to finish the glass. Perhaps my bottle was not that fresh.

morimech, Sep 23, 2007
3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

My first Oktoberfest brew!

Hoppy aroma. Pours a perfectly clear copper with about half an inch of head. Some good lacing.

As far as I can tell it has a primarily hoppy/malt taste, but there is definitely something more to it that I am unable to name. There is a little kick of something at the beginning of each sip, possibly banana?

I agree with what another reviewer said about the mouthfeel, it just feels a bit flat on your tongue.

Very enjoyable, decent ABV too. Put me to sleep! =P

Reanimator, Sep 23, 2007
3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

It’s doesn’t seem to have that same extra bit of roast and richness that many other Octoberfests have (especially the American versions), but it’s still a very good brew. The tasty, slightly buttery malt features some bready character and is nicely balanced by a mild but firm hop bite. Slightly full mouthfeel.

Very drinkable and inoffensive, there are better Octoberfests out there, both German and American, but I don’t really have any complaints about this one.

Recommended…