Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

good

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 09-04-2001)
View: Beers (17) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen Alström Bros
mentor

3.95/5  rDev +10.3%

Bottle obtained from Liquor Mart (Boulder) and consumed later that same evening. Pours a two finger tan/caramel head over a crystal clear light brown rust liquid. Smells sweet munich malty, some honey, and a hint of funk. Toasted grains beneath these. Tastes soured malt tannic/phenolic from toasted grains. Vienna malt sweet, but not wet. A hint of caramel, almost toffee/chocolate-ish. SOme iron. Mild hop bitter with a grassy hop flavor remniscent of dried hay. Overall, pretty tasty. Aftertaste has a hint of sour that, with reaching, makes me think of cherries. Not cherry flavor...it's just cherry sour. Md, yet thick on the tongue, body and moderately carbonated. Bottle was stamped L18843K.

09-21-2005 21:44:44 | More by mentor
RBorsato

"Spaten Oktoberfest Ur-Marzen"

Light golden amber with a nice full creamy off-white head and slow constant carbonation. Bready and nutty aroma and flavors with a spicy character. Medium-light bodied and smooth.

Decent well-rounded Oktoberfestbier.

Per Label: "The World's First Oktoberfestbier"

Per Spaten website: OG 13.7

($19.99 / case)

09-19-2005 19:11:59 | More by RBorsato
weeare138

3.35/5  rDev -6.4%

Appears a light golden color with a small amount of white head that slowly fades. Tiny traces of lacing are left around.
Smell is of light caramel and malt with a light hoppy aroma.
Taste is slightly sweet and caramelish with a mild doughyness and hoppiness that is borderline buttery/skunky.
Mouthfeel is ok. Ok roastiness and fruitiness with hops but slightly thin.

09-19-2005 17:43:37 | More by weeare138
mynie

Indiana

4.2/5  rDev +17.3%

The Germans better know how to make one of these, as I'm pretty sure this whole "oktoberfest" thingee has something to do with Germany. Whenever you see Ks were Cs should be it's a good bet that ol' Jerry's about.

Pours ice tea gold with no head. Unimpressive but not bad.

My oh my does it smell nice, though. Very potent, I can smell it while the glass is three feet from my nose. Incredibly rich and smooth fruit malts. Sour apples, plums, cherry juice. Nice.

Tastes like a kickass helles bock. A fruit juice bonanza that ends on nice grain with a sweet kick of caramel. There's the lightest hop at the end, to finish it off.

Nice marzen, is all I can say. I can certainly picture drinking a barrel full of this stuff while a bunch of people play polka music.

09-18-2005 02:27:28 | More by mynie
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.38/5  rDev +22.3%

Flows lite caramel, but retains head white not thick, but okay...)alright...

Beautiful malty biscuits morish smell with some whiffs of hops..

great malty. give me some more taste...
super balance & swlllability.,.. tastes of biscuits & yum..

me like it much....

09-18-2005 00:03:16 | More by russpowell
jmz62565

Connecticut

2.6/5  rDev -27.4%

This starts out as one great beer,but fails to deliver.It looks great,full dark amber color and a big head.The taste is not what it should be.For a specialtly Octoberfest,this beer is alittle weaker in taste than other octoberfests.With an octoberfest, i would expect more flavor,i.e.more spices.This is a beer you could enjoy grilling sausages or brats.This is more of a crisp beer than other octoberfests and results in a better drinkability.

09-12-2005 22:46:36 | More by jmz62565
alankwak

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

A: Amber colored with strong head, good retention and lacing.

S: Low hop aroma.

T: Very malty, but for this style, I guess it's supposed to be that way. I like a tad more hoppiness. Good clean finish though.

M: Nice, full mouthfeel.

D: Well, pretty easy drinking here. Not too filling but I could not down many of these. Guess I'm used to pils.

Overall pretty good. I didn't know this was considered a malt liquor when I bought it. I usually don't like malt liquor but figured since Spaten has a good reputation I'd try it and it was good, just not high on this style...low hoppiness.

09-11-2005 14:18:25 | More by alankwak
Sycodrummer

3.3/5  rDev -7.8%

Had on tap from the Sunset Grill and Tap in Allston, Mass. Presented to me in a pint glass, the beer was a dark yellow color with a sliver of pure white head.

The smell was hoppy upfront with a malt tinge in the background. Some very faint fruit as well.

An innitial hoppy taste upfront with a slight bitterness, but not over powering in any respect. A more malty finish. Tastes are well balanced but nothing really pushes me to remember this beer.

Medium body with ample carbonation.

A very easy drinking beer. Nothing special standing out here, but still solid and balanced.

09-09-2005 22:58:54 | More by Sycodrummer
kgotcher

2.98/5  rDev -16.8%

Picked up a case at Costco. First Octoberfest of the season for me. No freshness date but I assume since it is still Sept it must be fairly fresh.

Pours amber with a fairly thin head, a little lacing. Head dissapears quickly, smells malty, bit of hops, Malty, buiscut flavor but a bit thin on the mouthfeel, and a little sour on the aftertaste. Not the smoothest octoberfest out there.

Drinkable for sure, nothing insulting just not the best of the marzens I have tried.

09-07-2005 02:16:00 | More by kgotcher
neonbrown82

Nebraska

3.3/5  rDev -7.8%

Fall is already creeping up upon us, so I am making it my goal to try all the Oktoberfest I can.

Pours to a coppery amber color, nice and clear with a great carbonation and a pillowy marshmallow tan head. Looks crisp and refreshing enough.

The smell is a tad bit weak. A bit biscuity and malty sweet. A bit of diacetyl maybe.

The taste is only slightly better than the smell, but more buttery. No noticable hops. This is not one of my favorite Oktoberfests.

Nothing impressive. I'll probably not try it again. Many more O'fests to be had...

09-05-2005 06:20:41 | More by neonbrown82
NiceGuyMike

3.45/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a dark golden with 3/4ths of a finger of head. Head disapates quickly with little lacing. Smells of roasted malts. Tastes of roasted malts along with some bitterness.

Nicely bodied brew with creamy effervesance. Alcohol content makes this very drinkable, but simple flavor doesn't keep my tail wagging.

09-02-2005 21:04:04 | More by NiceGuyMike
steinlifter

3.98/5  rDev +11.2%

poured a clear copper, decent head that left a thin collar all the way through.
smell was of sweet malts, hop whiff
taste was similar as smell ,sweet malt, slight hops in back, bit of pine.
mouthfeel was bubbly and a bit creamy, fairly full, and satisfying.
drinkability is very nice, no problem here, I could definitely have a few more.

09-02-2005 00:02:53 | More by steinlifter
whynot44

Missouri

3.73/5  rDev +4.2%

Light/medium bodied, orange/amber color with a respectable off-white head that retreats quickly leaving only a trace of lace.

The aroma is restrained but malty with caramel undertones.

Taste is fresh biscuits, caramel, and a bit of tart apple or citrus with a slightly dry hops bitterness at the end.

Well balanced, creamy , very drinkable.

08-31-2005 23:08:18 | More by whynot44
rowew

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

Presentation: 12 oz dark green bottle. No freshness info.

Appearance: Clear orange color with a nice head that fades pretty quickly, and leaves just a bit of lacing.

Smell: A bit skunky at first, then as it warms the malts come through.

Taste: Sweet malt flavor with just a bit of noble hops in the end. Very simple, yet it just screams fall to me.

Overall impression: I'm probably rating this a bit high because its one of the first Oktoberfest's of the year for me. Once of my favorite styles of beer, I'm always excited when they hit the shelves. This is a solid, but not outstanding example of the style. Well balanced and drinkable by the liter, so it fits the bill.

08-29-2005 00:05:43 | More by rowew
Kreuger

3.2/5  rDev -10.6%

Bottle.

A - After a moderate pour there was a solid head that lasted about as long as an ADD child's attention span. All that remained was a thin frosting on the top of the beer. The beer is a satisfying amber, with little visible carbonation.

S - The nose is sweet and malty with a helping of skunk; which I can't help but suspect is the result of long travel from Germany. Otherwise, its pretty restained - pleasantly so.

T - A reasonable hoppiness balances out the malts pretty well. And a moderate carbonation keeps things happening through the finish. There is a definite sour vinous aftertaste to the finish here, not the best.

M - The carbonation is perhaps a bit much, otherwise the mouthfeel is pretty smooth.

D - Not the best Marzen available in the USA, but still definitely drinkable; though I wouldn't want to atack this in quantities - I suspect it would lead to heartburn.

A decent beer, but with so many better options out there I won't be revisiting this one unless I'm in Germany or my alternatives are American Macros or Heineken.

08-23-2005 00:04:37 | More by Kreuger
MuddyFeet

3.73/5  rDev +4.2%

Thought I would start the season a bit early this year when I saw it on tap at the Sunset Grill. Poured a rich and vibrant brown in color. Very clear and with no head on it at all. Nose was very simple and only mild malts were noticeable, and they were slightly browned at that. Flavor is slight sweet but mellowed but a significant biscuit flavor. Hops are extremely mild and provided just a hint of bitterness around the edges of this beer. Mouthfeel was crisp but heavier than other O'fests I have had in the past. The alcohol is brilliantly hidden and it is a very simple and quite enjoyable beer.

08-22-2005 21:05:15 | More by MuddyFeet
DrunkMcDermott

3.33/5  rDev -7%

This one is not as light in color as the other German Oktos we tried, and it comes a lot closer to what we accept as the style. Good dark maltiness is well balanced here by its hops. Still, I'm glad when Oktoberfest season passes and we can get down to some winter beers.

08-18-2005 14:06:14 | More by DrunkMcDermott
tgbljb

3.73/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Saved this one from last fall as a reminder of the fall soon to come. Poured a medium amber color with white long-lasting head. Smell is dominated by toasty malt. Taste is predominately malt with a crisp texture. Finish is refreshing, but with a bit too much sweetness. All around good beer.

08-15-2005 23:59:19 | More by tgbljb
BEERchitect

Kentucky

3.95/5  rDev +10.3%

As good as Oktoberfests get, if found fresh. A solid beer for the style. Pours a highly carbonated, light copper hue. Forms a 1/2" head that lasts throughout and laced well quite. Smells cleanly of malt, yeast and mild noble hops. Tastes quite malty, bready, and a little like lightly fruity. A bit earthy and grainy from the flavors and into the body and then the finish. Otherwise clean finish with light drying. Sweet alcohol flavors play on the toung and palate. An easy drinking beer. A classic, paired with brats and sauerkraut.

07-31-2005 20:37:51 | More by BEERchitect
Wasatch

Utah

4.38/5  rDev +22.3%

Poured into a Ayinger pint glass. Pours a golden/copper color with a huge head which stays around awhile. Lots of lacing on the glass. A very sweet/malty scent, tastes of grapes to me. A light to medium body. This is a great session brew, goes down very well IMHO.

07-30-2005 23:50:05 | More by Wasatch
beersarang

3.1/5  rDev -13.4%

Pours a light ruby but a little clear looking. White tan head dissapates quickly leaving behind a thick collar. Fairly thick looking beer.

Sweet grain aroma, marzen like.

Malt profile is a bit one dimensional. Average grainy bready flavor from munich malts. Medium hopped for an adequate bitterness, but the spicy grassy hop character leaves behind some oil on the palate, which detracts from this beer a lot. Finishes mildly sweet and alcoholic. Seems a tad rough on the edges.

Medium bodied, nice carbonation but nothing special.

I wouldn't get this again, there are many better Marzens in my opinion.

07-28-2005 08:39:15 | More by beersarang
Pepeton

Mexico

3.85/5  rDev +7.5%

I was surprised to find so much similarities between this beer and one of my local favorites: Indio from Cuauhtémoc-Moctezuma.

Really, Indio here in Monterrey is considered as a laborer brew. But I always noticed that my Dad, and later that my Father-In-Law, had this as their regular brew, so it isn't al that bad, right?

Actually you can't find it in most places, And in México there are whole States where it isn't even heard about.

Spaten Oktoberfest pours amber with a tan head and some lacing.

Smell is of a lager, not impressive but malty. No hops to the nose.

Taste is nice (please, bear with me, it's 111°F out here), refreshing, lightly bitter.

Mouthfeel is crisp, somehow hoppy, even creamy.

Drinkability? Well, no doubt I'll have this beer again but for the price I'll rather buy Indio that here in México has a price on a fraction of this German import.

No Dad and my in-law weren't wrong at all, Indio is indeed a fine beer.

06-19-2005 23:22:45 | More by Pepeton
jimbotrost

4.13/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours a deep copper/golden hue, still not red or amber. medium size white head. Brilliant malty nose, very soft in the mouth, very nice flavor is malty sweet but very well balanced. finishes up with a nice long soft and sweet finish. What a nice beer

06-12-2005 19:57:54 | More by jimbotrost
danielharper

2.6/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Purchased from Great Spirits, Huntsville, AL.

Pours a nice brown-tinged amber color with a nice large bubbly head. Looks very clear, no visible sediment anywhere -- a nice, if unexeceptional, pour.

This has an odd scent and taste to it, almost like a pilsener in quality. At first I thought that my bottles were old or skunked, but I think that the aroma and flavor that I detect is in some combination of the malt and the hops -- the Spaten Premium has some of the same flavors, and I assume that both sixers couldn't have been skunked. A roasted flavor is available to the tongue (although not to the nose), which makes it okay, but the aftertaste has a negative "mouthwash" flavor, which makes me give it a fairly low score there.

This has a thin, somewhat watery mouthfeel that actually works in the beer's favor, as it means that the flavor doesn't stick around quite as long. Perhaps a backhanded compliment, but here I'd rather have a thin mouthfeel, as it means that the beer is easily quaffed.

Overall drinkability is low, as I find this beer to be fairly unpleasant to drink, and I don't find myself looking for another one once I finish the first one. I worry that perhaps this batch is just old -- I may try to find this one again this fall and try it in a single or on-tap, because I think that this may not taste quite the way the brewer intended. Still, if this is what it's meant to taste like, I'd recommend that you get the Paulaner Oktoberfest instead -- a much more satisfying brew that doesn't have the negatives of the Spaten.

A shame, since the Spaten-made Franziskaner Hefe-Weiss is one of my favorite brews.

06-02-2005 04:35:29 | More by danielharper
KarlHungus

3.4/5  rDev -5%

Pours a nice clear ruby color with a thick white head. Smells of malt and floral hops. Balanced taste with the malt being a little more prevalent than the hops. The aftertaste is pleasant and balanced. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and dry. Overall, this is a good, tasty beer, and is very drinkable.

Edit: After a while the sweetness in the aftertaste gets kind of annoying.

05-18-2005 18:44:21 | More by KarlHungus