Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

good

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 09-04-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev +14.7%

Had this again recently on tap and from the bottle even thought it was mediocre the first time I had it.

Pours out to a light amberish orange, very clear, has a small creamy off-white head that subsides quickly.

This batch of Spaten is very good, and smells lightly of caramel.

The taste is also very good. It's beautifully sweet, with a decent malt character that is balanced by the wash of hops, with the taste finishing crisply. I'm reminded of a bakery by the taste.

The mouthfeel is excellent. It isn't too carbonated, which is very different from the batch I had a while ago. It goes down so smooth.

This is a very drinkable beer and I'm glad I decided to try it again after not having had it for a while.

Boneheadmx, Nov 27, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle. Nice color, golden brown, aromas of breads, yeast. Tastes good, light. I enjoy the light mouthfeel of this beer.Drinkability is good. I know its not the greatest, and I have seen the other comments degrading this brew, but this is brewed TO be somewhat weak and drink all day long at Oktoberfest. Overall a nice session beer

czfreeman, Nov 16, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

Doesn't it annoy you when breweries bottle dark colored beers in green glass? You think you're getting a dark bottle, but as you pour out the beer, the bottle color changes to green. Might be a fun magic trick to show off, but I'm here for the beer, so on to it:

It pours a bronzish amber color. In the glass, it's topped off by a big creamy looking head. The aroma is musty; grains, spicy hop, and a whiff of malts. The beer is creamy feeling, easy drinking, and decent tasting. The maltiness doesn't explode off the bat, and is held in check by a subtle spicy hop flavor. Actually, the latter starts to become distracting, not what I want in an O-fest. It's still a decent beer though.

DoubleJ, Nov 16, 2007
2.48/5  rDev -31.1%

Presentation: 12oz bottle (production code of L 18471 C) in a thumbprint Seidel

BAside: it seems odd to have a German Oktoberfest with the words "MALT LIQUOR" on the label...

Poured crisp, clean, true. Ugh....not a very pleasing nose. To be honest this smells like a typical canned macro. Dry, astringent, slightly metallic, a little sour, maybe some mildly burnt caramel. Head was a nice pencil's worth of loose & mixed, pale ivory foam that steadily settled to a see-through sheen with a bubbled edge ring. The slightly hazed body is classic Marzen - penny copper orange, warm like good honey. Damn shame it doesn't have an appealing aroma.

It tastes better than it smells, but it still has some mild, canned macro quality. Slightly burnt caramelized malts slide under a semi-dry, crisp astringency that is a ween bit spoiled/sour, with some noticeable metallic & phenolic aspects. Hops are timid & mildly bitter. I'm not really sure what is exactly going on here. I've enjoyed some nice Marzens, but this has an odd aspect to it, a can lining quality that I just can't shake.

Growing drier & lighter on the palate, it finishes crisp but a little phenolic with a nice, sharpening spiciness, leaving a clean yet cloying aftertaste.

I had Mrs. BuckSpin confirm the nose. Her words - "Natural Ice in a can", so I know its not me. It is very possible I got a bad bottle, but in that I have nothing to compare it to I am going with what I experienced. Let me put it this way - if this was a Macro Lager it would be a pretty decent one, but as a Marzen this was not enjoyable. I will definitely try this again next year to see if I did catch a bad one, but until then I cannot recommend this. This was one of the most disappointing & generic tasting imports I've ever had. Very bummed. Omm-pah-pah at your own risk.

BuckSpin, Nov 14, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +25.8%

I went out to one of the local wing joints after work with some friends, and I was pleasantly surprised to see this on tap among the forest of BMC tap handles. The waitress asked if I wanted the pint glass or the big glass....I just looked at her and said..."what do you think?" Hooray for 1liter heavy glass mugs! I felt like I was in Munich...if they served chicken wings in the O-fest tents instead of sausage.

A - Deep orange and very clear with a 1/2 finger head that recedes quickly to a collar, Thin wet lacing sticks to the glass. The 1/2 finger head comes right back from the dead after a good swirl.

S - Rich and clean malty scent, very "to style." Clean and clear malts that remind me of a good german pils, but with a little more depth. I want to say that it smells a bit like carrot cake.

T - My thoughts at first sip: WOW!!! This is friggin' good! Deep and rich with clean malts but at the same time very quenching with a nice hop dryness at the finish. Sweet caramel and spice notes too. This tastes excellent! Just about my favorite O-fest ever.

M - Mouthfeel is light, but creamy with low carbonation levels. Could be thicker, but not bad at all. Clean and crisp. Cleaner than the bottled version.

D - This festy is very drinkable and pleasant if a little bit lacking in complexity. But, fest beers are all about celebration and just enjoying the fall weather, and for the season I couldn't ask for more. This is my favorite oktoberfest brew so far! Great stuff...especially when quaffed in large quantities from a heavy 1 liter mug!

pmcadamis, Nov 12, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

A: Thin white head reduced to ring and cloud of lace. Clear bronze body.

S: Soft aroma of bready malt. Nice, but not strong enough.

T: Bready malt and plenty of it. Proving simple & straight forward is not necessarily a bad thing.

M: Medium body & low to medium carbonation. The taste lingers beyond the finish.

D: Goes down easy despite the bready taste reminding you that you're adding pounds.

OKCNittany, Nov 12, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

This Spaten pours a nice light crisp light amber/orange. The head, like most Oktoberfests that I've had, is minimal. Smells bready with cloves and a mild maltiness. The taste is very mellow with very subtle Noble hops. Very slight roastedness maybe soem nuttiness too, but not easy to find. Noticable carbonation in the mouth. Nice clean finish, this is still my favorite "authentic" Oktoberfest.

timbro81, Nov 09, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +27.2%

let me start first with this, the beer is great I always like Spaten products, the beer as a pleasant smell, it drinks very well, the after taste reminds me of EKU 28, the mouth feel is like mild sweet with a chery after taste ( like EKU 28), it is a good beer, I could not fingd it at the store I bought it from, but did find it at an other :-) ....

ledemie, Nov 08, 2007
3.7/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was easy drinking to say the least. No stickiness, no pronounced flavors, soft carbonation. Mildly malty taste. The positive here is that this is a very drinkable beer. But the lack of pronounced flavors or aromas really left me wanting something a little more.

smurphy77, Nov 08, 2007
3.73/5  rDev +3.6%

Shifty amber body with a strong, thick white head that remains the duration of the tasting...aroma possesses that soft, nondescript presence that allows for pleasant drinking of multiple bottles in a night...light to medium body that is short, crisp and acidic once it hits the back of the tongue...relazed carbonation allows for multiple bottles in a night...overall, after having sample nearly a dozen marzens and 'fests this fall, an original still finds its place among the many imitators...not as sweet or intense as others, but comfortable in its balance and usefulness for multiple...bottles...in...a...night...

dacrza1, Nov 08, 2007
2.98/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- Pours a light amber color with moderate head that hangs around for a little while and leaves decent tracing.

Smell- Very little in the way of hop smell, rather malty in character actually with light hints of wheat.

Taste- Hops are almost completely indistinguishable in this brew, very even flavor, begins with malty, slightly bready flavor that last throughout but aftertaste is definitly of malt and alcohol.

Mouthfeel- Not a thick beer at all, I was suprised as its an octoberfest.

Drinkability- Suprisingly light, not much in the way of complexity but an ok beer.

Bowdoinbeerboy, Nov 06, 2007
3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance: Dark, copper color with a voluminous off white head.

Smell: Distinct grassy aroma and sweet semi-smoky malt.

Taste: Great blast of hops and malt to start. Both arrive together and then split up to feature their own qualities independently.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Slightly smoky bitterness remains.

Drinkability: This is a great taste of Germany. Nice example of the style.

SargeC, Nov 06, 2007
3.83/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured a about a 1 inch head, was pretty much gone after a couple of minutes, nice smoky amber pretty much as it should.

Malty smell, a little grassy, some pine, not much else really.

Malty, little hoppy bite. Not as malty as say... Paulaner but maybe slighty more hoppy... maybe a little thin and @ 5.9 very little alcohol taste.

Hoppy carbonated tinglly mouthfeel

Easy to drink..refreshingly seasonal.

After the hop assault of Dogtoberfest I had to get an imported brew just to remind myself what I like in a marzen. Not my favorite but a good one anyway, I like it.

scottblaze, Nov 01, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +24.2%

This is one of those classic German lagers that are designed to be drunk all day long. It combines a light malty flavor and light noble hop flavor to create a highly drinkable product.

It pours a light brown color. The smell and initial taste are of burnt Munich malt, but in a good way. I love beers made with decoction mashing! The malt flavor is wonderful and is properly balanced with the hops. It goes down lager-smooth and there is no hint of alcohol. I'm so happy this brew is sold by the case and appears at my local Costco every fall. I feel that if beers like this were more widely available to the average BMC drinker, we would see a massive shift away from brewers chruning out yellow fizzy water and see more exploration of this style.

Upgrayedd, Oct 31, 2007
4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

Reddish-brown body with thick white foamy head. Very nice to look at.

Smell is sweet caramel.

Flavor is wonderous sweet malt. Smooth and supple, like a tight pair of leather gloves.

Mouthfeel is thin, but slightly creamy.

Drinkability is a dream. This is great drinking beer!

ghostwalker, Oct 31, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +20.3%

This beer was the second beer I ever reviewed for this site. I felt it would be good to review it again now that I have much more experience reviewing beers than I did the first time around reviewing this. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my pint glass. This beer pours a clear deep amber copper color. The head is a good inch thick when poured before quickly settling to a thin surface layer with a nice white ring lining the inside of the glass and some nice lace. There are lots of little bubbles rising up to the top of the glass. Has a malty, bready aroma with bits of caramel and floral hops also present. The taste is also malty and sweet upfront with the aforementioned hints of caramel and is nicely followed by some floral and slightly citrusy hops. Has a crisp, full bodied mouthfeel with moderate to high carbonation. Very easy to drink the way a great beer should be!

Eric

neenerzig, Oct 29, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

No head on this one, and no lacing to speak of. A golden brown brew with apparent lively carbonation. The aroma is just a grassy malt with some touch of maple sugar I think. The first taste confirms the strong carbonation. Tastes grainy like a hearty pils with brown bread and some raisin. Feels good in the mouth, refreshing and active. It does seem a little whimpy overall for this style but it is not bad, easy drinkin'.

Durge, Oct 27, 2007
3.43/5  rDev -4.7%

A - Pours a dark golden color with off white head that goes down pretty fast to just barley cover the surface

S - Grainy some spiced hops

T - Malt caramel and spiced hops

M - Good body with medium carbonation

D - I think this is a pretty good beer I could drink these all night

armock, Oct 27, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +23.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Gilde Rastkeller Edel Pils glass, which is of the wider mouthed, fluted variety. The original Oktoberfestbier is a dark, clear copper with a moderate effervescence providing a small off-white head that leaves light lace.

The aroma is bready cereal grain, slightly toasted with a bit of sulfur and floral hop background. Classic Märzen is unmistakable.

Taste is of course very malty and fairly sweet and lightly toasted, with fairly aggressive, fruity esters for a lager, yet still crisp and finishes somewhat dry. I've always been a big fan of this style, and Spaten's offereing in particular. Maybe not the most complex, but balanced and very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is on the sharper side, with a medium body.

Drinkablity is very high for me. I've enjoyed many a crisp fall afternoon throwing these back by the 6 pack, they go great with BBQ. Enough booze to make it worthwhile but still let me getaway with having a few more then I probably should!

ccrida, Oct 23, 2007
3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

had this one at our oktoberfest yesterday, first time i've had it on tap, w/ plastic servingware; pours a light copper color w/ a huge fluffy off white head which lasted for days, my entire plastic cup was coated w/ lacing from the first pour out of the pitcher; nice malty aroma w/ a bit of caramel & faint hops; good malt profile, not too sweet & over caramely like some 'fests; actually fairly dry & light-med bodied w/ some residual sweetness it think their co2 was a little too high, though, it was quite a bit more carbonated than the bottles; very drinkable, prob gonna go get a sixer to watch my 'Jags game tonite...

animal69, Oct 22, 2007
3.23/5  rDev -10.3%

My first green bottle beer in ages. Pours out a light amber with that very distinctive lager-like aroma. Does not taste as sweet as other O-fests, and the malt flavors are not overly complex. Very crisp with some light hop bitterness in the end. Not bad, but not as good as other O-fests I've had. It's a crisp, refreshing lager, but the complexity of flavors are lacking.

WaveRebel51, Oct 21, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

Sorry this comment is in french :

A : Par tradition, les fûts de bière de la brasserie Spaten sont les premiers à être mise en perce lors de la fête de la bière, à Munich.
S, T & M : Cette bière dorée a un arôme ferme de malt et une plénitude en bouche équilibrée par une note florale de houblon.
D : Bel exemple de bière munichoise forte de fermentaion basse.

thierrynantes, Oct 17, 2007
3.78/5  rDev +5%

Part of NEPA BC split #8.

Pours a clear pale amber, more golden color with a good two fingers of off-white head. Head recedes to a thin lace and leaves some stick on the sides of the glass.

Smell is primarily grain, and more the macro-lager type grain than something I actually want to smell. There's a bit of toasted grain in there, too, and some spicy hops but it's not really all that appetizing.

Tastes of some toasted malt and some feint caramel sweetness. Grassy, slightly spicy hops come to the front about halfway through with a touch of bitterness through the finish. Not bad, and it's not skunky tasting like the smell indicated it might be, but it doesn't have the depth of toasted and caramel malt flavors that would make it great.

Mouthfeel is a bit think, although medium-bodied, and carbonation level is appropriate. Pretty smooth, almost creamy on the palate. Easy drinking and pretty refreshing.

This is a pretty good oktoberfest, but I can't help but think that it has gotten watered down a bit, so to speak, as it has become mass produced for the American market. And that's too bad.

number1bum, Oct 15, 2007
3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from 12oz green bottle into clear pint glass

A: Pours a nice amber with sticky thick off-white head and lots of lace

S: Grainy and Saaz hops aromas. A bit skunky on the first bottle from the pack which I'm attributing to travel and green bottles.

T: Smooth, earthy malty with some soft fruit flavors like apple and pear with dry Saaz hops finish. Kind of like an earthy pilsner. The first one I had from the pack was a little skunky as noted in other reviews. The second one was excellent and flavorful.

M: Creamy and smooth with medium body, medium carbonation, and faintly swwet aftertaste.

D: Pretty drinkable when it's a good one out of the 6-pack.

argock, Oct 12, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz green bottle from Tiger Town in Gardiner. Pours translucent amber-red with a slight chill haze and almost no head. Smells like toffee and leafy European hops. Tastes malty, with a toasty toffee character and continental hops playing a supporting role. Not overpowering. Very well balanced, delicate full flavor. Medium somewhat creamy body with a fair bit of carbonation. I am impressed. My expectations were not high but this is one of the better octoberfestbiers I've had. Not as rich as Ayinger or Paulaner, this one is still a really solid and easy to find choice. Very drinkable. I could easily polish off a sixer of this without thinking twice. A new favorite!

MrHurmateeowish, Oct 12, 2007