Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

good

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 09-04-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen Alström Bros
3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

Bronze colored with a very sticky, durable white head that leaves alot of lace. Aromas are of rising bread and sweetish Munich malts. It has a smooth, biscuity malt nose, that turns slightly honey-sweet mid palate with a molasses cookie flavor, but remains completely clean throughout. Carbonation is soft. Mouthfeel overall is soft and clean. Very drinkable and tasty, although hops are underdone making it a little simpler than Oktoberfests like Paulaner.

bcm119, Oct 23, 2005
3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

Yes kids, it's oktober again. Everybody grab a mug of your favorite marzen. Overall, I was happy with this beer. It's pretty middle-of-the-road but very tasty and drinkable.

Maybe the bottles were sitting in my car for too long, or maybe I used a dirty glass, but I thought this one smelled terrible. Not much to look at either. Taste however was a different story. This one went down very smooth and delicious. Lots of bready flavor and not much else. Just a bare _hint_ of bitterness as it warms up. I would recommend this as an everyday drinking beer. It's too bad they don't serve it year round.

Cheers!

skittlebrau, Oct 20, 2005
3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

Auburn gold in color with a thick 3 finger white head. When held up to the light, it seems lighter than most of the oktoberfests I've tried. The white head eventually fades leaving nice lacing down the mug. The aroma is very malty with a nice nutty, bready aspect to it. Seems sweet but not overbearingly so. The taste begins witha touch of malty sweetness. The breadiness comes in along with a mild spiciness, which is probably the hops (what little hops there are). It finishes with a mild sweetness that never becomes overbearing. The carbonation level is right on, giving the beer some body. Drinkability is high if you like the style; the flavors are all subdued and inoffensive enough that you could kill a lot of this in a night. This is definitely one of the best oktoberfests I've had this year. The sweetness never becomes cloying, my number one complaint for the style.

Hagbard, Oct 19, 2005
3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

Updated review from an ultra-fresh release:

Brilliantly clear glowing russet color with a fine dense off-white 1" head. Fine moderate visible uprising carbonation. Fantastic thick and sturdy rings of lace all the way down.

Clean and fresh bready/crackery malts abound with a touch of vanilla-esque sweetness. The freshness of the European hops are very earthy and clean, providing a very balanced and teasing ushering of what's to come next...

Earthy (as stated above) and chalky dry hops cling to the insides of my mouth and edges of my tongue as the even-keeled and unintrusive lightly toasted malts glide smoothly right where they belong. A bit of a stoney/minerally element is tasted when the dryness of the hops subside. The flavors are lighter than I expected (or remembered) but are very balanced and elegantly entwined.

Mouthfeel is very nice. A little bit heavier than light bodied with an expertly crafted amount playfully fine carbonation. The finish is kinda quick but the dry and chalky finish lingers for a while.

Drinkability is crazy, especially when you've got a litre stein or Das Boot! This sucker is going down a little too easy right now (only have an ounce remaining from a longneck bottle).

Overall a great representation of a lighter bodied/flavored Oktoberfest, (compared to it's American counterparts). Very masterfully balanced and a great mouthfeel/body to boot. Not my top choice for a celebratory marzen, but definitely one I would NEVER pass up.

---
Beautiful clear golden light copper color with a fluffy loose off-white 1/2" when it settles. Visible medium paced carbonation.

Clean mineraly/stoney malty nose with a clean noble hop presence. No sweet carmelesque notes detected, but very fresh and clean nonetheless.

Dry bitter edged hops right up front with a lighter than normal maltiness. Slightly metallic notes, which reinforce the cleanliness of the hop flavors but highlight the lack of traditional Oktoberfest maltiness.

Moutfeel is lighter than medium bodied with a good deal of carbonation. Dry, clean, short-lived finish.

Drinkability is good. Clean (again) and easy going.

Overall an Oktoberfest that delivered little enjoyment. The flavor profile was pretty one-sided; excellent hop component with an almost nonexistent malt backbone. A bit too carbonated and limp for my preference of this style. Has the recipe changed/weakened?

malty, Oct 16, 2005
3.43/5  rDev -4.7%

Sampled last evening while waiting wayyy to0oo long for my chili bake to get ready at Duda's. Poured a pretty clear brown with red highlights, a thin creamy ring, and limited lacing. Aromas of malts and slight sourness. Taste was malts with a light hint of skunky European hops on the back end. Mouthfeel was lighter than expected. Not bad, just seemingly average.

Dithyramb, Oct 13, 2005
3.1/5  rDev -13.9%

I was slightly bummed about this beer, thinking that anything German during Oktoberfest was going to make me weep with joy, and then make outrageous claims and lies about being proud of a German heritage I really don't have (like I claim I'm Irish during St. Patrick's Day).

Lies aside, the beer poured a lighter amber, not as deep as some Oktoberfests, but amber-ish anyway. Slight head, brownish/creamy color. Oh goody, I thought, more malty goodness! I hear the accordians already!

It all sort of fell apart for me, though, when I smelled it. I remembering reading Beer Advocate's little piece about beer in green bottles isn't necessarily skunky just by being in a green bottle, and that I should open my mind and think that maybe...just maybe...the brewer meant to do it that way, and that what I smell is the combination of hops and malts they're using. Okay, I think to myself, maybe this brewer meant to have this skunky smell, like Heineken or St. Pauli Girl. So I smelled some floral hops that were overshadowed by skunkiness.

With mind wide open, I chugged away merrily. Hey!, I thought, it tastes skunky too! In fact, I could not really taste any hops because I tasted skunk. I struggled against my own predisposition to think that anything in a green bottle tastes like Heineken that's been in the sun for a week. I fought it...I really did. I kept going and going til it was gone, but at the end of the day, for the money, I'd stick with either Sammy A or better yet, Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest.

So, I may try this beer again, from a beer store that doesn't store everything in bright lights, and hope that I really did taste skunk because of mis-handling. Maybe I'll change my review. Maybe my tastes will mature.

Or maybe, this really is a medicore, light-bodied Oktoberfest without enough sweet malt to balance the earthy hops they use. That's it. That's the ticket.

Smittysguinness, Oct 10, 2005
3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

500ml bottle

Pours with a deep yellow body, puffy white head with pretty good retention

Smell, some slight malt, some hint of grain

Taste, slick crisp mouthfeel. A little hops on the initial tasting, a slightly dry finish.

A fair oktoberfest, but paulaner and lowenbrau beat it hands down inmo

cypressbob, Oct 09, 2005
3.1/5  rDev -13.9%

One would think that a German brewer could turn out a good O-fest beer.

Such is not the case with Spaten's Oktoberfestbier.

Pours an attractive clear copper in color. Thin layer of white head manages to lace the glass nicely. Aromas have a definite skunk to them. Some malt sweetness and a grassy/floral hop note. Maybe some undefined spices as well. Same for the flavor. A skunk-funk invades the palate, not letting the hops and malts through. Finishes dry, with a lasting clean bitterness. A bit thin. Lots of carbonation. Drinkability factor takes a hit due to the skunk. A shame. For $0.50 more, I also purchased a 6-pack of Hop Devil that was much better.

OldFrothingSlosh, Oct 09, 2005
3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours a clear dark amber with a big off-white foamy head, decent retention, but no lacing. Smell is a slightly sweet grainy malt with just a hint of skunkiness. Taste is a light slightly toasted doughy malt, just a tiny hint of floral hops, a faint bit of nuttiness. Not bad, but not as malty as some other oktoberfests I've had recently. Medium bodied with a medium/low carbonation and nice dry finish. This isn't a bad beer, certainly could make a session out of it, but for the price I'd rather by an American craft oktoberfest.

cubedbee, Oct 08, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a dark amber-gold with a smallish foamy head. Leaves just a little lace on the glass as you drink. Aroma is of lightly toasted malt and bread. Taste is slightly sweet, bready, with a little earthy hops at the finish. Very smooth, silky mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Excellent drinkability.

Seems like such a brief review for such an enjoyable beer! I really like this and plan on buying it each fall. Get it in sealed cardboard cartons (12 packs) to avoid skunk (damn green bottles!)

jimdkc, Oct 06, 2005
3.08/5  rDev -14.4%

This arrived as a dark amber and orange with only a ring of head. There was no lace.

It tastes like there's some nice malt in there, but nothing else. The smell has a bit of toasted grain and big malt content, while the taste is massively malt. There's a pinch of hops, but not enough to balance things out. The mouthfeel is decent.

watermelonman, Oct 04, 2005
3.3/5  rDev -8.3%

Pleasant looking beer, amber colored with a nice head that retains its form for a very very long time.

Clean malty smell, some sweetness to it, and a bit grainy as well.

Light on the palate. Smooth carbonation. Sweet tasting with some bitterness. Nothing complicated though. A pretty bares bones beer. Still, it's refreshing and a nice beer to enjoy.

Litterbean, Oct 02, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

16 ounce glass on tap at Old Chicago, Madison WI. This beer has a very dark color for an Oktoberfest. It's dark brown with a 1 inch head. Nose is malty and nutty, but nothing impressive. Sweet malty flavor with notes of nuts and caramel. Very clean malt profile. Finishes with some tasty German hops. This beer is incredibly drinkable. I've never done it, but I'm sure I could make a fantastic session of this beer. This is a beer that doesn't get the respect it deserves. Certainly a beer to sample each Oktoberfest season.

beveragecaptain, Oct 01, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Since it's a seasonal brew I suppose I should say that this review is for 2005. Out of the oktoberfest beers that are available in Sweden (where I live) only Weltenburger Kloster beats Spaten's oktoberfest bier. Foam is good and it smells great from herbs, bread and citrus. It looks good too, with it's golden yellow color. The taste is bitter, bready, flowery with some herbs and acid. It's a great drink at any time of the year. Don't miss it!

JanM, Sep 30, 2005
3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

First I just want to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this beer in spite of so many skunked reviews posted.

This beer pours a clear bright medium golden color with a huge frothy head. The nose was sweet, full of toasted malt and bread like. Smooth medium body with a nice mouth feel. The taste was much like the nose, sweet, malty and bready. The hops were perhaps too light. Nice smooth semi-dry finish. Very easy to quaff.

On the negative side this beer was on light side of taste and excitement. And for the cost, there are better Oktoberfest biers.

ThreePistols, Sep 28, 2005
3.08/5  rDev -14.4%

Twelve ounce green bottle, no dates.

Pale orange & clear. Dense off white cap of foam. Very little lace.

Malty biscuit aromas backed up by a herbal sort of hop aroma.

Bready, caramel, & biscuit malt type flavours. Some Herbal hop flavours finish it off. Straight forward, clean & firm. Medium bodied, moderate carbonation. Not good, not bad.

xgrigorix, Sep 28, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

Enjoyed on tap from the Hofbrauhaus, in the Food Court at The Big E, West Springfield, MA.

Clear plastic pint cup presentation. Adequate 1/2" beige head over the dark amber brew. Aroma is dominated by grains. Taste is sweet maltiness, like liquid roasted grain hulls, with a crisp close. Mouthfeel and drinkability are both excellent. Very enjoyable brew, went well with my bratwurst.

ppoitras, Sep 26, 2005
2.58/5  rDev -28.3%

Pours a light amber hue with a big frothy white head.... looks appealing.

Smells skunked.... a definite downside to having green bottles.... smells like Becks... ugh.... if the beer tastes like it smells it might find its way down my drain.

OK.... it doesnt taste AS bad as it smells, but its certainly not good. I'm going to force myself to drink this.... hoping that some additional flavour is going to come through as it warms. Still skunky... the malt is weird tasting... not well balanced.... pretty crappy all around.

Well... the mouthfeel is at least moderately decent.... tongue coating, but not too active sadly.

I have no desire to drink another of these for as long as I may live.
The Dos Equis and Becks drinkers will love this one. For those of you out there who prefer a decent Oktoberfest, try the Paulaner or H-S.

nickss, Sep 25, 2005
3.48/5  rDev -3.3%

fizzy, white, lifeless head that is never to be seen again shortly after the pour. The color one would expect from this style, perfectly clear copper tones to amber in color.

For some reason my frist drink of spaten oktoberfest always tastes so damn good and it fades from there. refreshing, light carbonation. smells like your in a bakery, doughy with some light hop balance. My latest sample was the best yet, tasted fresh and had that lingering aftertaste of some toast, and hops...beautiful blend.

Notes: I've had bad oktoberfests from spaten but lately I've had nice fresh tasting beer. Decent price as well. Until they dissapoint me again ....I'm IN!...

DogFood11, Sep 25, 2005
3.43/5  rDev -4.7%

I picked this up at Old Chicago on tap during its oktoberfest. It poured a bronze color a little darker than the oktoberfests I have had. It smelled toasted and a little spice. It was a lighter beer that tasted of toasted grain and herbalish hops. Definatly not my favorite octoberfest beer this year.

ryantupy, Sep 25, 2005
3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

Bottle code date L11851 I'd take that as bottled April 2005 ...

A Classic appearance,shiny copper to bronze hue, nice collar of sandy color foam that coats the glass well.

The nose is earthy with hints of grain and bready sweetness.

A rich but not overwhelming taste of caramel malts.

A silky smooth mouthfeel that holds to the bottom of the glass. Makes this a quite drinkable beer.

The Ur Marzen claim, noting that this is the Original Marzen Oktoberfest, was new to me but since Spaten has been around since 1397 I would not doubt it.

brewQ, Sep 25, 2005
2.83/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured from a gree 12 oz bottle, a clear orangish color with single finger head, fading a bit but leaving lacing all around.

Doesn't smell like other Oktoborfest's I've tried, this one smells a bit like a czech import or something. slightly skunky with an astringent tone, some malt breaking through.

Taste is not great, but not horrific. I'll get through the sixer, but look forward to moving on to something else.

Not recommending this one.

ReebShorts, Sep 24, 2005
3.48/5  rDev -3.3%

Appearance: Pours from the 1 pint 0.9 fl oz bottle (which indicates this as malt liquor?) into my pint glass a nice dark coppery red. Clear, with plenty of tiny bubbles floating from the bottom of the glass to the top. Good head, at least 1/2 inch, fell to a good covering by half way through. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Scent is somwhat subdued. All malt, sweet smelling, with an aroma of caramel and toffee.

Taste: Quite tastey, although one dimensional. Malty (slightly toasted with a touch of grains). A little sweet, hop presence is minimal, which leaves this a malt dominated brew, which I don't find all that bad, particularly for this style.

Mouthfeel: A bit thin and light, and plenty carbonated. A hint of alcohol burn in the throat, which was unexpected.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, before I knew it this was gone. It's fairly affordable as well. I'd have this again, if there are no other Oktoberfests around that I have yet to try.

BigRedN, Sep 22, 2005
3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

Bottle obtained from Liquor Mart (Boulder) and consumed later that same evening. Pours a two finger tan/caramel head over a crystal clear light brown rust liquid. Smells sweet munich malty, some honey, and a hint of funk. Toasted grains beneath these. Tastes soured malt tannic/phenolic from toasted grains. Vienna malt sweet, but not wet. A hint of caramel, almost toffee/chocolate-ish. SOme iron. Mild hop bitter with a grassy hop flavor remniscent of dried hay. Overall, pretty tasty. Aftertaste has a hint of sour that, with reaching, makes me think of cherries. Not cherry flavor...it's just cherry sour. Md, yet thick on the tongue, body and moderately carbonated. Bottle was stamped L18843K.

mentor, Sep 21, 2005

"Spaten Oktoberfest Ur-Marzen"

Light golden amber with a nice full creamy off-white head and slow constant carbonation. Bready and nutty aroma and flavors with a spicy character. Medium-light bodied and smooth.

Decent well-rounded Oktoberfestbier.

Per Label: "The World's First Oktoberfestbier"

Per Spaten website: OG 13.7