Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

good

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 09-04-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen Alström Bros
wsouloa

4.22/5  rDev +17.5%

I honestly cannot understand why this beer didn't get better reviews. I had this beer on-tap which may be a reason why and having it with a hearty German meal consisting of wild boar may also have had an impact. Honestly though, I found this beer to be extremely good. It was not really the style that I expected it to be, however. It pours an amber-brownish color. The taste and smell give you an idea of what the beer is like. Caramel and malt are very evident in this beer. It is not as thick as one would expect and goes down very smooth. This beer was extremely drinkable and I could see myself indulging in many of them the next time I see it available.

03-24-2004 19:20:18 | More by wsouloa
ark57

3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

The light brown beer gave rise to a slightly malty aroma. There is some toasty aromas. The body was smooth and creamy and there was a lingering after taste reminiscent of wintergreen or root beer. This has the perfect maltiness that is not too sweet and just the right amount of bitterness with no hop flavors.

03-18-2004 18:49:52 | More by ark57
beertaster13

Washington

2.05/5  rDev -42.9%

Picked up a six pack of these after a recomendation from a fellow BA and I have to say I was quite dissapointed. I love seasonal beers but Spaten Oktoberfest wasn't my cup of tea. Comes in a 12 oz green bottle and pours an amber color with little head which looks almost soapy. Smell has hints of caramel and malts but with skunky smells mixed in. The taste is about the same, very flat with no pizazz to speak of. Tasted to me like sucking pennies with malt flavor. Couldn't let this beer sit in my mouth for long. I couldn't drink many either, quite filling. There are good Oktoberfest and other seasonal type beers out there, this is not one of them.

02-21-2004 06:44:29 | More by beertaster13
Dogbrick

1.88/5  rDev -47.6%

Acquired via trade. Pours a clear amber color with minimal carbonation and a medium thin off-white head. Thin and quick lacing. The aroma is malty and skunked (green bottle issue?). Medium-bodied with a yin and yang of sweetness and skunkiness throughout, this ended up being a drain pour. The malt and caramel flavors simply could not compete with the unpleasant skunkiness. The finish kept with the theme. I will have to try to seek a fresher bottle out for a re-taste.

02-10-2004 03:55:28 | More by Dogbrick
Zorro

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a well-carbonated clear copper color.

Smells of malt and grain with a bit of caramel and tea thrown in.

Has a strong malty flavor. There are banana, raisin and caramel flavors to this too. Tastes like a very mild bock beer.

Mouthfeel is good.

Very drinkable, this beer keeps you guessing about what you taste with each sip.

02-04-2004 04:30:43 | More by Zorro
arizcards

Arizona

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

A coppery brown brew that pours a nice head that leaves a nice lacing down my pint. A sweet smelling malt with a similar taste that finishes with a slight bitter hop. Has a decent body resulting with a fairly full mouthfeel. A fairly smooth marzen that I wouldn't be shy to try again.

Re-Review 12-3-04:
Poured a very nice head again. Noticing more of an old or musty smell to it this time around. Still a very smooth but mellow taste and has a decent mouthfeel. Nothing special but still an enjoyable beer to try.

01-24-2004 01:18:49 | More by arizcards
HappyHourHero

Indiana

3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

Clear, dark copper colored beer. Big bubbled off-white head leaves behind nicely defined head. The aroma is sweet and malty, even a little corn though I know they don't use any. Not much in the flavor department, nothing bad, maybe what a German macro would taste like. Pretty strong carbonation makes the beer feel light on the tongue. What little flavor there is lies in the aftertaste. Best I can do is a smidgen of malt and a hint of bitterness. Not a bad beer, just not a hell of a lot to it.

12-12-2003 05:23:11 | More by HappyHourHero
marcobrau

3.38/5  rDev -5.8%

An amber O-Fest that's a little too malty for my tastes. Big caramel (Munich) malt flavors with not enough dryness. Seems to taste a bit stronger than most Marzen/Fest beers that I've had, perhaps this is because I haven't had dinner. Very smooth mouthfeel. Medium to full bodied. I think I like the Spaten Optimator (double bock) a bit better. That beer is maltier, of course, but also somehow drier.

12-08-2003 03:25:16 | More by marcobrau
mntlover

Tennessee

2.85/5  rDev -20.6%

Clear light amber in color with small white head. Light malt smell not much else. Good carbonation slight malt taste with a touch of hop, slight hop bite not much else to speak of. Rather bland actually. Light bodied brew with not much going for it.Probably let my wife or guest have the other 5 not something I will buy again. Thought I would try because someothers thought it a good repersentation of octoberfest. Wish I had some more Sam Adams know some of you think I'm crazy but I like it.

12-05-2003 12:26:59 | More by mntlover
WesWes

4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

The beer pours an amber color with a nice white lace head. The aroma is exceptional. It has the smell of a good lager, but with the slightest amount of crystal malts to add color and a bit of sweetness. The taste is great. It isn't too plain or too bold. There is a fine balance here. The mouthfeel is awesome. It is a low/medium bodied beer with the right amount of carbonation. This is a great drinking beer; one of the best Octoberfests I've ever had.

12-03-2003 02:04:06 | More by WesWes
HardTarget

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

Aroma: Toasty malt. Actually smells a bit like toast. Malt is very evident and a bit perfumed.
Appearance: Clear golden brown, almost orange with a good finger and a half of white head that filmed fairly quickly. Plucky little head left some good tiny bubble lace.
Flavor: Taste is a touch upside down. First is a brief hop bitterness that is quickly washed away in the toasted malt. Deep malt flavor is held in check, but I had to hunt for any real hop taste and certainly no strong bitterness. There is a tea-like aftertaste that I found enjoyable, but seems a bit off style. All in all, it’s rather mild.
Mouthfeel: Medium body that coats the mouth and lingers.
Overall Impression: Have to admit, this was, and is one of my favorite beers, although through BA I’ve outgrown it to some degree. It has a very clean lager taste that really lets the malt show through. Maybe if I keep at brewing for 600 years like these folks, maybe my Oktoberfest will approach this brew. This might be a good macro-wean beer (“Sorry, I’m out of Bud, try this!”)

11-30-2003 04:38:57 | More by HardTarget
tavernjef

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

Color is a nice light copper amber with a one finger high off-white head thats evenly foamed and smooth, fades down to a thick haze and lace in muddy globs. Aroma has a nice touch of lightly toasty malts, grainy and fresh and breadish sweet. Taste has a nice mellow toasted maltyness thats lightly sweet and bready, pretty easy and calm flavors, nothing overwhelming, notes of light nuttyness comes through in the finish with a favorable light drying. Sure its a bit plain, but nice enough to keep it interesting. Feel is medium bodied, pretty smooth the whole way through, easy little bitterness and a light drying finish. I can see drinking alot of these, as it warmed it was very nice indeed, a bit on the plain side, but something about the subtleness kept me going til the glass was empty. A good drinkin' O-fest.

11-25-2003 18:53:19 | More by tavernjef
budsboy

3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured a nice deep amber, thin white head that dissapated quickly, very little lacing. Malty, heavy scent. Maybe too much carbonation ... maybe. I wanted it to be a little smoother. Easy, if not too easy, to drink, but I felt very little of the alcohol.

I'd choose this offering over Spaten's premium lager. Good beer.

11-22-2003 19:04:02 | More by budsboy
steelreign

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Maybe it's just me, but I think this is a great beer when not being compared so much to other brews. I had it on tap, which also may be slightly better experience. Nice red hue with cream colored head. Nothing too overpowering in this one - malt is predominant with very little hops. Great malt flavors with little residuals. No trace of bitterness. A very smooth, easy drinking beer. Perfect carbonation. Sure, a GLBC Eliot Ness it is not, but still I dunno what it is about it.... I like it, and that's all that matters. I could drink this all night, and sometimes do when at my favorite pub.

11-21-2003 13:48:57 | More by steelreign
homersimpson

3.35/5  rDev -6.7%

Clear amber with a thin lace.
Sweet malt, a bit of citrus, faint touch of earth in the nose.
Light, smooth, slightly carbonated body
Sweet malt flavor with a smidgen of herbs, vaguely spicy.
Definately made for imbibing with food, not enough going on otherwise. Lackluster in general, you can get an almost exact duplicate with the Brooklyn O-fest.

11-17-2003 01:10:51 | More by homersimpson
feloniousmonk

3.35/5  rDev -6.7%

Appearance: clear pale bronze color, with booming, boisterous cream-toned foam atop (I may have optimized the head potential by utilizing a Wehenstephaner weizen glass).
Aroma: soft, spare, tiniest hints of caramel & nuts, glimmers of malt.
Taste: bright, sweet, slightly coppery feel, mild. No hops felt, malt is all over the flavor, but never too strong. Body, very light, texture is small, finish is too quickly dissipated. A very subdued, but supremely approachable marzen. Geared towards those with less exploratory ambitions in their beer imbibement.

11-10-2003 00:00:37 | More by feloniousmonk
DagFishHead

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance: Crystal clear light-amber pour. About a 1/2" frothy off-white head, good retention, creamy/spiderweb lace.
Smell: Light, clean, sweet-yet-crisp maltiness. Whiff of yeast/bread and hops way in the background.
Taste: Starts out with sweet toasted caramel malt... very light, folowed by a nice semi-dry hop citrus-like finish. Very reserved...lighter than I expected for a fest beer.
Mouthfeel: Light body, becomes a bit creamier as it warms. Reminds me more of summer than fall.
Drinkability: Very refreshing and enjoyable.

11-09-2003 21:08:47 | More by DagFishHead
SheepNutz

Kentucky

3.15/5  rDev -12.3%

12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. It pours a light amber color with two fingers of head. A fair amount of lace left on the glass. The smell is very malty with a hint of hops. The taste is fairly faint, but has a good malt flavor. The mouthfeel is fairly light, and the drinkability is just average. An OK Oktoberfest.

11-07-2003 01:31:58 | More by SheepNutz
86MonteSS

Connecticut

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours golden orange with a struggling head. Smells like a bare bones oktoberfest; good, but nothing to write home about. It's highly carbonated and tastes like Spaten wanted this beer to simply get by. "Ja, juzt give zee Americans vhat zey vant: ein vanabee oktoberfest." It's good, and no offense to Spaten (the brewery that gave me my beloved Optimator), but it's pretty much the Budweiser of märzens.

11-05-2003 07:10:48 | More by 86MonteSS
dweideman

New Hampshire

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

Average frothy off white colored head that did not last too long. Excellent head lacing and sparkling clear body. Very few particles rising from the amber orange hue. Initial moderate malt smell -- very sweet. Very lighty hoppy aroma. Initially very heave sweet tast that turned moderatly bitter quite fast. Moderatly sweet finish with an average duration. Light to medium body with a dry texture and soft carbonation (slighly less as the beer sat). Very metallic feel in the finish.

The only German import that I've tried this season; very different taste from the American Marzen styles that I've tried.

11-03-2003 02:12:48 | More by dweideman
Loki

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle for the 2003 season.

Appearance: Deep amber, almost tawny, but not quite bonzish color with a medium sized wispy white head. A little lighter in color than others this season.

Smell: Very clean and fresh scents of malt and hops. Not a very powerful aroma, a little on the light side. (Also got a hold of a skunked bottle. One bottle out of a case isn't bad, but not good either.)

Taste: Good malt profile that moves into hops and some spice. All in all a little weak on all sides. Not as flavorful as I had expected or hoped. Very drinkable and not a bad beer, but there are better choices, especially give the limited availabilty of the style.

10-29-2003 13:57:59 | More by Loki
Dubblebock

3.38/5  rDev -5.8%

I picked up my sample with a certain measure of excitement, as it's mid-October and I was in a seasonal mood. I could almost hear the German polka band in the background as I brought the church-key out....

It poured well, but didn't leave much in the way of a head. What was there didn't stick around for long. Left a thin lacing around the mug on the way down. Nice dak amber color, though, very rich and inviting.

Almost no nose on this sample. Faint maltiness and a slightly sweet aroma, but I was not at all impressed with the bouquet.

Tasted good, lots of malt flavor. Started out a little bit bitter but got smoother as the drink went on. Began to even out and get really drinkable about halfway through the sample. Had a slightly sweet secondary taste once you got past the malts.

Mouthfeel was ok, nothing grainy or cloying. Finish was very good. The beer had really evened itself out by the time I had finished the sample. If I try this one again, I'll let it sit for 10 minutes before I begin drinking it. It really improved once it got to swim around in the mug, free from it's bottled prison.

All in all, a slightly above-average Oktoberfest.

10-24-2003 17:30:47 | More by Dubblebock
Dmann

3.43/5  rDev -4.5%

Apperance was nice with a light amber color and a small white head that lasted and left decent lace down the glass. The smell had a certian grain and grass scent to it with not much else all, and the taste was simmilar. A mostly malty brew, this one did not have much in the way of hops or anyhting else. The mouthfeel was quite good though, with a good balance of carbonation and smoothness. Although this is not that exciting of a beer, it is easy to put back a few so I score it a little higher than others on the drinkability scale. But in the end, there are better Oktoberfest brews out there

10-23-2003 08:53:59 | More by Dmann
cerevisiaephilus

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Well, this is definately a subdued Marzen, but that's ok because it makes it really drinkable in my humble opinion. It has a nice malty nose and an excellent mouthfeel but without gratuitous syrup-i-ness (I love inventing words, its like I was writing in German).

Not my favorite Fest from Germany, but I like it!

10-20-2003 01:28:49 | More by cerevisiaephilus
far333

Connecticut

3.3/5  rDev -8.1%

Perhaps my least favorite of the traditional Oktoberfest beers. Cinnamon colored with no head, and no aroma. Flavor is very light and delicate, a bit too light. Low low malt flavor, with barely noticeable hints of sweet pear and honey. Really had to roll it around the mouth and concentrate to pick them out. Mouthfeel is a bit watery upfront, but tingly in the finish. A light hop bitter lingers.

10-16-2003 12:35:46 | More by far333