Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen - Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

good

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 09-04-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen Alström Bros
3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

Sort of disappointed with this beer. The color was a medium amber with very white little foam. You could smell the lightly roasted malts and hops. You could taste the lightly roasted malts, along with the medium bitter hops. Not much flavor with this beer. I was really disappointed with the flavor, since I expected a lot more out of this German beer. Overall, not much flavor with a bitter finish!

BeerManDan, Aug 04, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

Cherry-wood amber color, with a small frothy head atop it. Aroma is fairly light, just some malt with a hint of toasted breadcrust. Good maltiness, though not complex: sweet, somewhat bready, uncomplicated malt. Hop bitterness is low. Finish is clean. Moderate body, with a soft, creamy texture.

The classic Oktoberfest, though actually it's in the middle of the pack of the Munich oktoberfests available in the US, taste-wise. Not bad, but not a beer I go seeking usually except for a couple weeks in september.

allengarvin, Aug 03, 2006
3.38/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured into a stein...

A: Lofty, pillowy white head, forming a cap. The brew is a coppery-gold color - beautiful!

S: Twang of astringent grain. Not much caramel comes through.

T: Caramel malt, no hop presence noticed. Bitterness? None, just a slightly cloying malt taste. I find it really tasty.

M: Thicker than most lagers of this abv - it really coats the mouth.

D: I have mixed feelings about this one. It's enjoyable, but so one sided - just sweet. It doesn't compare to my favs like Hacker-Pschorr and Paulaner, but I don't dislike it.

mjc410, Jul 26, 2006
3.45/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Amber in colour with medium carbonation. Grainy malt aromas, along with some herbal German hops. A bit of caramel in the mouth which is balanced out by both a herbal and spicy hop presence. Medium bodied with a short clean finish. I never really got the typical strong malt, bready, roasted malt Oktoberfest punch, but this is a very mellow and drinkable beer. More like a generic (yet well made) amber lager than an Oktoberfest.

fisherman34, Jul 14, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

This one filled my glass with a deep brass colored liquid, nice and clear. The head was rocky and tall, but clings well to the side of the glass.

There's a slight hop bitterness to the nose at first, but it quickly gives way to the heart of a marzen, the nice, earthy maltiness. There's also a trace of buttery discetyl in here. In fact, the overall impression is the smell of buttered toast. Not bad at all.

The taste is initially the same buttery malt toastiness as described in the nose, with just a touch o' the hops (sorry Schlitz) that keeps it from becoming too sweet. This isn't exactly a balanced beer, nor should it be, really. This is a malt based brew, and shows it off with pride. The diacetyl leaves an oily feeling on the tongue, but the hop bitterness is enough to scrub that clean. Overall, there's a good combination of bitterness, buttery flavors, toasty malts, and a good clean, crisp ending to make for a relatively complex lager, if that doesn't sound too contradictory.

The mouthfeel is a tad thick and oily, likely from the diacetyl again, but that hardly seems out of place for the style.

This is a tasty brew. Not the greatest marzen on the planet, but nice to have on tap year 'round. I'll come back to it once in awhile.

jokelahoma, Jun 29, 2006
3.73/5  rDev +3.6%

Great amber color with a decent, creamy colored head with some lacing. Carbonation is just about right - not too punchy but not bland either. Good hop and malt mixture. Alcohol registers a 5.9% which makes this a great beer for partaking in multiples. AND the price is decent - local L. store had it featured for $9.95 per 12. It's so good it tastes like another. Think I'll have one...

spaceranger, Jun 23, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

Billed as Germany's original Oktoberfest beer and is still the number one served beer at Munichs traditional Oktoberfest. Poured on tap into a liter Spaten Stein. White head that lasted for most of the Stein. No lacing evident. Nicely carbonated. Amber in color, Medium body. Impeccable taste and well balanced malt flavor and aroma finished with just the right amount of hops. Rich texture on the palate with an underlying sweetness true to German tradition.

JohnY, Jun 20, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

16 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a nice clear deep gold/orange color with a reddish tint. Creamy off-white head at about 1 in., which laces the glass and eventually becomes a foamy film atop the beer after a few sips.

Smell: A nice blend of hops, grains, and some spices. A light but enticing aroma.

Taste: The taste isn't very distinct, but has a lot of grains and malts. It is fairly refreshing, just hard to describe.

Mouthfeel: Somewhere between light- and mid-bodied. Smooth and with a nice amount of carbonation.

Drinability: Certainly a drinkable beer -- goes down nicely and the alcohol is at a good level.

An enjoyable beer, but it took a while for me to get used to the flavor. Would work well with food. I'll get this again.

mithrascruor, Jun 06, 2006
3.23/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured a deep, clear reddish copper. Carbonation was moderate with a thick, rocky head. Aroma was firmly toward the malt with some hops in the background. Definitely from Munich; had what I call a "sulfate-y" nose that is common to most beers from that region, especially Paulaner. Maybe some skunkiness but it didn't dominate. Body was medium-to-full. Definite skunk in the flavor. Otherwise, malty Oktoberfest flavor with a rather firm hop bitterness in the background. Decent taste, but ruined by the skunkiness. A bit more crisp than your typical O-fest, though I like them on the sweet side. Pretty drinkable, but possibly not as substantial as it could be.

A decent version of the style, but I wouldn't buy it in the green bottles again.

shererjt, May 26, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -1.9%

12 oz

A: Not much of a lager drinker, but the beer was invaded by bubbles. I mean hundreds of them! The color was crystal clear and a light golden honey color. Pouer with a decent head that did seem to dissapate rather quickly leaving little lacing. Not that impressed...

S: Stange smell, as I said before I am not a big lager drinker so I do not know the main categories to choose from. But I thought it smelled a bit sweet with carmel malts prominent. Also had a 'lagery' smell. Sorry I just dont know the words for what it really is! Either way, very faint smell. Nothing to brag about.

T: Man I was getting pretty skeptical about this beer, but then I remebered Germans can make some tasty brew. An excellent taste of munich and lots of carmel. Very sweet maybe a little too much. Im very happy.

M: Smooth and carbonated. I dont think it was overly carbonated though. Light bodied and swet. Pretty good.

D: I keep on drinking this. Very light and tasty enough ot be a session beer for sure. By now the sweet taste might be getting a little old, but I could still see myself drinking a few more of these happily.

KyleVick4, May 21, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +14.7%

poured from a bottle into an imperial pint glass

A- copper brown color thick off white head good carbination

S- not to much going on here lacks the character of a Spaten Premium Lager

T- very good taste, but it did not seem as close to the Oktoberfest style as I expected but maybe this is the first real oct fest I have had

M- thicker than I would want for this style yet not at all unappealing

D- a good drinking beir good taste some interesting complexity but I do perfer the Spaten Premium bier, which is one of my real favorites.

mcarroll10177, May 15, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

Ahhh, nothin' kickin' back on a sunny Friday afternoon and enjoying a mass of quality beer. Here's how it breaks down:

Looks: It's a touch dark for a maerzen, with an off-white head. The appearance strongly disagrees with the taste and mouthfeel. Most strange.

Smell: Nice and grainy! I love it.

Taste: It's a very light and sweet Oktoberfest with a hint of grain. Good stuff.

Mouthfeel: Very light, even a touch thin for an Oktoberfest . . . but it worked
wonderfully on a sunny day!

Drinkability: The mass went down without complaint, but there was no need for another.

shbobdb, Apr 29, 2006
3.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bought on sale [$5.50/six pack] at a local grocery store. Made me a little nervous, since this could have meant it was sitting around a while.

Poured a nice amber color with a small white head. Good lacing. Decent carbonation can be seen rising.

Smell was light with some hops and malts coming through. A faint "strange" smell that I couldn't place.

Teh taste had a mild hop bitterness running throughout. Some sweetness with a light roasted malt backbone.

Mouthfeel was cleansing with a medium body. Overall, the beer was a little too bland for me. Lacked distinctive character. But, a decent beer that you can sit around and drink quite a bit of if you had the right food accompanying it.

atigerlife, Apr 29, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -7.5%

This beer poured with a small shortlived head that quickly subsided into lingering white lacing across the surface. It is a dark golden amber. It didnt have much of an aroma as far as I could tell, but it did ahve some hints of hops and breads. It tasted hoppy and mildly bitter, but I couldnt detect much else in teh way of flavors in it, It had a very dry finish. The mouthfeel was easily my favorite part of this beer. Well carbonated but not too much so, it left my toung tingling and and made the bitterness of the beer very palatable to me. This isnt my favorite style of beer by far, but I found it pleasantly drinkable and would'nt mind having another at some point.

geetlord, Apr 23, 2006

Appearance: Rich, Bengali orange-red. Moderate white head doesn't sitck around for the festivities, leaving just an island of wispy film in the center of the glass.

Smell: Diacetyl, crystal malts, honey, maple syrup. Hops are barely there. Husky malt base dominates, this one's gonna be sweet.

Taste: Sweet, somewhat corny malts. This is my final beer in a session of five and my senses are somewhat blunted at this point, so I might not be picking up on certain subtleties. But still, this seems very one-dimensional.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy and thick, almost stout-thick, with well-sized fizz to lighten things up.

Drinkability: I don't know why this is so drinkable, but it is. Pair with hearty German food and jovial company.

soulgrowl, Apr 22, 2006
3.15/5  rDev -12.5%

Picked this one up when I was craving an Oktoberfest, but wanting something new. I didn't enouncter much from Spaten (except the Franziskaner weiss brews) while in Munich so I figured I'd give it a try.
I noticed after getting home that it came in a green bottle...but a darker one. I was prepared to open it and get a whiff of some astringent funk, but luckily it's not really there.
Color is the orange color you'd expect, but it's lighter than most.
There's a little bit of an "off" smell, but it's not really skunky. Definitely kind of grainy. I can't pinpoint much malt in the smell. Reminds me a lot a fresh Becks...which is unusual.
The hops give the finish a bitter twang. There's malt there, but it's not the major player I'd hope for. It's got Oktoberfest flavor, but it's almost like it was mixed with something else to tone down the malt.It reminds me of someone taking a potent Oktoberfest and mixing it 50/50 with an export Pils.
Mouthfeel is good. It's pretty drinkable but I didn't feel that it was all that great of an Oktoberfest. With this brew, it's really tough to tell if it's supposed to taste like this or if it's just not really fresh.

(EDIT) Note that I've had fresh samples of this on tap and it is MUCH BETTER. This was WORLDS apart from this brew and was on par with Oktoberfests like Paulaner or Hacker-Pschorr. For that matter, it might even be better. It goes to show that freshness matters!
If you're craving Oktoberfest in bottles, I recommend Paulaner or Hacker-Pschorr just because you know what you're getting. If you can find this one fresh on tap, go for it. If you do buy this, it's all about the sealed paper 12-packs and cases.

Domingo, Apr 10, 2006
3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Excellent head 1 and 1/2" head with creamy small off-white bubbles and great lacing. Head stays a whiel but goes eventually to a creamy collar. The color is good copper/amber.

Smell: sour,sweet, wispy hoppiness.

Taste: tea-likes. Very balanced. Bready. It has a aftertaste of almost ...mint?

Mouthfeel: Medium light. refreshing

Drinkability: Easy as hell to drink this beer. It's perfect for Oktoberfest like it's perfect for any higher class party where you imbibe on much beer.

CaskofFlyingDog, Apr 03, 2006
3.4/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pours a super clear reddish golden color (amber) with a small ¼” head of small white bubbles at first pour. The head falls within a minute or so to end up as just a small ring around the top of the beer. There are very few bubbles rising to maintain the head.

Aroma: Well, I am afraid that the skunk has gotten a hold of this one. If you can get past that you can pick up quite a bit of toasty malt along with a butter-caramel presence.

Taste: The flavor is really mild for me. I don’t get as much skunk in the flavor as in the aroma. There is a little bit of hops in the middle of the profile that balance things out a bit so that they can make it over your palate unscathed, but then the malt is back for the kill in the finish. There is a noticeable sweetness to linger for some time in the finish. No alcohol noticeable.

Opinion: I was a little disappointed in the fact that that this beer was light struck. I really like the Optimator, but this one seemed a bit light in the loafers even if the skunk wasn’t there. I would like to try this beer again…preferably fresh and on tap.

SkeeterHawk, Mar 16, 2006
3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

This is a tarnished copper color with a thin but fluffy eggshell colored head. The beer is virtually odorless to my nose. The flavor is pretty standard. Sweet, slightly biscuity malt, fruity hops, and a slightly metallic finish. This is exactly what I expect in an Oktoberfest. It is not bad but, I would much rather have a fresher, cheaper, one from an American brewer.

JudgeRoughneck, Mar 10, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +27.2%

When I first started drinking different types of beers, this was my first and I liked it so much that I bought a case of it.. It was definately worth it. The beer has the normal german taste to it which can be found in any german beer. I like the beer and I think anyone else who tries it will like it.

jrb1001, Feb 24, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +14.7%

this was my first non-cheap-american-brand beer. obviously it blew me away the first time trying it. i have since had many better beers, but i have good memories of this one and i still think its great.

relatively dark in color, decent balanced taste, i dont really pay attention to smell or 'mouthfeel', very drinkable but the alcohol will sneak up on you if youve had a six pack.
bottom line is, there are much better beers out there, but this one is still better than most and as far as its type/price range its hard to beat. in fact all the spatens ive tried so far have been great.

Optimat0r, Jan 29, 2006
2.1/5  rDev -41.7%

clear copper/amber with light carbonation and a thin but stable head.

hoppy floral aroma thats put off by a plasticy band aid funk. whew, thats funky.

i can tell theres some nice full malt in there some where, but its hidden pretty well by a plasticy taste and a thin body. even the hoppiness seems off a bit.

i hope this is just a bad example of what spaten puts out, cause im sure they do some good work. however it will probably be a while before i try this again.

joecast, Jan 11, 2006
3.73/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice golden amber color with not much head retention.

The smell is somewhat faint, but not bad at all. Malty.

Taste is malty, yet crisp and clean. Not overly sweet like some marzens. I can definitly taste the caramel malts in this one, and it finishes with a nice spicy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is a touch light, but very nicely carbonated. Job well done. Drinkability is good. I could suck down a lot of these, and probably will look forward to it by next fall. Solid seasonal.

jasonpeckins32, Jan 05, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

This beer pours a amber/yellow body with a white head.

Nose is a mix of malt, biscuit and a doughy bread like quality.

Taste is medium bodied and very smooth. Very rich malt with a strong sour german munich malt and yeast flavor. A nice natural earthy and grassy german hop flavor. Mildly bitter but balances the sweet, grainy malt, well.

Although it leans a bit towards the classic "euro" lager, the distinctly classic german malts and hops make this, IMO, the octoberfest by which all others are judged. I could drink this all through the season.

taez555, Dec 27, 2005
3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

This is my fav Oktoberfest so far. I had the pleasure of having this one off tap at Charleston Beer Works a few weeks ago. It's a very crisp refreshing beer, but also has a good solid malty taste to it. It had a woody, caramel malty, lightly smokey thing going on in the smell. The taste was just as good, but a little more in the roasted malt area. Even though it was full of flavor, it didn't have a strong/bad aftertaste. I recommend this one to most anyone.

JISurfer, Dec 17, 2005